shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice re: Veil Travel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Attention destination brides or those who have traveled with a veil - Elmorton needs some help!!

A friend of mine is borrowing my veil. I''m flying to the wedding, and I just got my veil out to start figuring out how the heck I''m going to travel with it.

Item: It''s pretty full - blusher included, and the kind that goes to the middle of your back (is that chapel?).

Vessel: I''m packing everything as carry on, and I''d like to put this in my duffle because I always travel with the stuff that absolutely cannot get lost or checked (if I had to) in the duffle, not the wheelie suitcase.

Resources: I have a ton of acid-free tissue paper because that''s how I packed it in the box with my dress. I can also get my hands on a drycleaning bag.

Other issue: Even though it''s been laying flat, it''s still kindof wrinkly. Will that just fall out? I''ll be arriving for the wedding a few days early, so it will have time to hang a bit before the big day. I tried it on (oh yes I did - aw, memories) around the house and it seemed to de-wrinkle a little, but I don''t want the poor bride to have a heart attack that it''s not in the same shape that it was 3 years ago. Any tips would be good.

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I don''t really have advice for packing the veil but, as far as de-wrinkling it, do you, the bride, or anyone else that is coming have a hand-held steamer? My mom used one for my veil to just get the small wrinkles out from it hanging and it worked really well. HTH!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
If you are getting there a few days before, hang it in the shower and run the hot water with the door closed.

Do that every morning and it should be pretty close to perfect...just make sure that after you take it down that you hang it back in the closet so that no one accidentally gets make up or sunscreen or anything else on it.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
If possible, call ahead to the hotel and arrange to have the veil steamed or call ahead to a local bridal shop or dry cleaner and see if you can get the veil steamed the day before.

My friend had a DW and we figured we would do the run the shower steam trick - we never thought that the hotel might have created specific ventallation to prevent steam from taking over the bathroom but they sure did!

I wound up having to iron her veil between damp towels. It was a little scary!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
The shower worked just fine for mine. Remember, too, though, that wrinkles will be much easier to steam out than creases. If your bag is stuffed to the gills, the veil will likely crease and this might not come out even with steam.

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
I carried my dress and hubby''s suit in a garment bag as one of our carry ons. All other wedding related stuff was also our carry on stuff. We had our resort steam my dress and my hubby''s suit. If they don''t do that there I would do what everyone else is saying and try the hot shower stuff! :) Good luck and congrats!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my dress and veil from the bridal department at Saks and when I picked it up they gave me the veil rolled up with tissue in a plastic bag. So basically they laid the veil flat on top of a piece of tissue paper and then rolled up both the veil and tissue paper into a tube kind of shape. And they started the rolling at the comb part of the veil. I would do that for transport.

As for steaming, I would have the bride get a handheld steamer and take it with her to the DW location. I have one by Samsonite that''s very small but works well on lighter weight materials. Here''s a link to the same one I have: link

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Steaming in the shower also worked for me. FWIW though, both my gown and veil were placed in a garment bag so there were minimal wrinkles. I think Kata has a good point about this method maybe not being as effective with the kinds of creases that may develop if the veil is squished into your duffle bag. Maybe it's worth considering a travel steamer as others have suggested. Good luck!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
you can bunch it up as much as you want, jsut be sure you have a way to steam it out (it''s really fast and easy to steam):

1. handheld steamer
2. hang it in the bathroom during a very long hot shower
3. cover it with a thick, very damp towel and iron with a hot iron. (be sure that the iron never touchs the veil!)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for weighing in!! I''ve asked the other BMs if anyone is planning on bringing a steamer (I never used mine so I''m pretty sure I gave it away....kicking myself on that one now). If not, I hope the hotel has one. Sounds like a hot shower will work, too. Thing 2, I''m trying the rolling/paper thing - my secondary concern is the veil getting stuck on something in my bag or the comb getting broken since it''s plastic, so this seemed like a really smart idea. I''m hoping the laying flat/rolled in paper concept will keep it from creasing as well.

Thanks so much all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results