shape
carat
color
clarity

My $500 DIY bathroom remodel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are both pretty handy when it comes to home improvement type things, so we took a shot at a bathroom remodel in our new home. We were on a strict $500 budget. We replaced or refinished everything except the tub and surround (and its faucet).

Here are some before photos.

The bathroom is a small hall bath about 5x7. It was a horrendous sunshine yellow on top, white plastic crap on the bottom with some *lovely* plastic wood trim. Urine smelling carpet laid beneath an ancient toilet and a sink that we soon found out was full of toothbrushes! Upon removing the dated medicine cabinet, I revealed a 1949 pin-up girl, I''m assuming she was **** of the time in her tiny bikini and heels.

So, without further ado...here''s the awfulness with which we began...

bath1ss.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you guys did a great job! You would never know that it was only a $500 upgrade!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
and, last one, so you can see the floor.

So, we redid the walls completely and added beadboard, chair rail, and baseboard. Ripped out all the old floor (both the carpet and 3 layers of other crap underneath it) and repaired the subfloor before laying vinyl. Replaced the toilet and sink, medicine cabinet and light, and assorted other odds and ends. It's still small, but I think it's cute.

Oh, and these photos were taken before I painted the beadboard. I just filled the nail holes today and will complete painting tomorrow, but it will still be white--just nicer.

newbath4ss.jpg

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
WOW!!! nice job! it looks great
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, neatfreak and puffy! I can definitely live with this bathroom, the original though, not so much.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing transformation! Can you come to my house? I definitely need some creative help with a few projects!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great job! Can I have you after Dee Jay? DH and I have been seriously slacking in the renovations department.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice renovations!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow!! you guys did an AMAZING job! you have great taste, and skills.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
That looks great! It must be nice to be handy (or have a handy hubby) I can do painting, but that''s about my limit. I really like the beadboard. I''m thinking of putting that in our downstairs bathroom. It looks pretty similar to yours in size and layout. Very fresh looking!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, you did AWESOME, SS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I can''t believe you did it for under $500, woooo hooo!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS, it''s BEAUTIFUL!!!
30.gif

DH and I have one full bath and one half bath in our house. The house is about 100 years old, and both bathrooms are DESPERATELY in need of renovations. You''ve given me inspiration!!!
27.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice: clean, crisp, bright and a vast Vast VAST improvement! good work!

movie zombie

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You guys are making me blush....thanks!!! It''s given me some hope on our upcoming (about 6 months from now) kitchen remodel.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
You & DH did a great job!

Last weekend, my friend was telling me that she wants to update her bathroom and what she described really sounded like what you did. Since she is not a PSer, I went ahead and sent her the link to your thread and she loved what you did and was happy to see her vision come to life. Also, she plans to remodel her kitchen in the Spring and wants to see your kitchen when it is finished.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoa!! That's amazing. It looks so different and fresh. Can you come over and do mine???

Did you add anything for storage?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Omieluv~ Wow, I''m glad to have helped! I''ll definitely post pics of the kitchen. It''s nearly as bad as the bathroom was. But, hey, houses are more affordable if they need a little work, right??

And, please tell your friend, it was really easy. The sink was a "pedestal in a box" and the toilet was a "toilet in a box". That way, you get all the hoses, rings, etc. The sink and toilet each ran right around a hundred, the walls were about a hundred, the cabinet and light were about a hundred. The last hundred was for floor, paint, towel bars, etc. Menards sells a vinyl in 5x7, but you can find remnants nearly anywhere for a great price. I think our flooring was $15.

Swinggirl~ Okay, you''re on the list. We have a three foot deep by 2 foot tall and 18" wide cupboard on the wall, it goes over the basement stairs. Before the remodel it was just a big space, but we are adding a track system and shelving that will slide to make the most use of the space.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Where''s the pic of the pinup?
31.gif
9.gif
That must''ve been quite the surprise!

Looks great! The colors and crispness looks like it should be in a cottage magazine.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! SS, your bathroom looks like it just walked out of Pottery Barn. TDF! Amazing job!!!

Carrots

Shiny_Rock
good job! btw: are you going to change the bathroom knob to match the rest of the hardware?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE a good diy project. That bathroom looks fantastic!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results