shape
carat
color
clarity

MOMS, DADS. ADVICE... BIKES

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ok.. I am planning to buy my girls new bikes in the next few weeks. But I have no clue what to get them. I do not want to spend more than 100$ but not less than 50$. OK.. they are 8 and 10. The oldest bike cannot be girlie and the youngest one has to be be (in some way)

The oldest doesn''t want anything that needs to change gears (like NOT A 10 SPEED) AND the preference would be NO brakes on the handle bars..

I know it sounds like I should probably know.. but we have never really lived in a place where they could ride their bikes.. usually their bikes are at their dads.

What do you think.. any suggestions would be realy really appreicated.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Call some well-stocked bike shops in your area and ask them for their recommendations. Not too helpful myself, but there you have it! Also, make sure the girls test-drive the bicycle for several minutes. You want them to feel comfortable on the bike or they won''t enjoy riding it. And they must wear a bike helmet!!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Not to worry on the helmet front. They have one here at my house even without a bike. Just in case, they are riding a friends bike.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
The bike for the older child, with no gears and no handlebar brakes (pedal brakes instead) is often refered to as a beach cruiser, though I think most bikes for younger kids are made that way (I know mine were). I''d start my search with Walmart, or maybe toystores. You want a bike that feels sturdy, with nothing wobbling around. Make sure the wheels spin straight and that the brakes work. You don''t want anything too heavy, especially if the kids will ever have to carry them (off a porch, for example). All my bikes growing up were Huffy''s, but I don''t know much about brands anymore.

When sitting on the seat, your leg should be a little bit bent at the knee when on the pedal that is down, so you can reach down and touch the ground with that foot and not fall over. Seats are adjustable, and since the girls will be growing, you want a bike that fits them now with the seat all the way down, so you can adjust it up as they grow. I would assume employees can help you with that part.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input Laine.

She doesn''t want a beach crusier. She wants more of the mountain bike, BMX thing. I am pretty good with how to size them and such.. I have bought bikes for them before(for their dad''s house) (and had a ton myself) but they are getting older now and I am not sure what is big right now.

I did pass through Walmart and saw a few.. she really liked something called the suspension bike.. but it looked a little dangerous to me... but she says her friends have them. I figured I would ask what everyone was getting for their kids.. u-know.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 12:49:17 PM
Author: MINE!!
Thanks for the input Laine.

She doesn't want a beach crusier. She wants more of the mountain bike, BMX thing. I am pretty good with how to size them and such.. I have bought bikes for them before(for their dad's house) (and had a ton myself) but they are getting older now and I am not sure what is big right now.

I did pass through Walmart and saw a few.. she really liked something called the suspension bike.. but it looked a little dangerous to me... but she says her friends have them. I figured I would ask what everyone was getting for their kids.. u-know.

We've always had beach cruisers, so the BMX thing didn't even occur to me. Makes sense with the "not girlie" part though. I've seen the suspension bikes before. Lots of hard core type mountain bikers have that style. On kids bikes I would think its more for show than for functionality but if she likes it and its in the budget, I wouldn't see a problem with it. As long as the bike is sturdy and well made, it shouldn't be dangerous. I know some of my friends kids had bikes of that style, and they haven't had any problems with them, as far as I know.

ETA: Sorry for the overly simple advice previously. You mentioned them not having bikes at your house before, so I wasn't sure if you had bought them bikes yourself.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is the bike she likes.. I told her it looked like something was missing and she didn''t like that..LOL

bikeforas2.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
she says that it is bad enough it is pink.. but she said it is Ok for the speeds since it is cool.. But it looks.. dangerous to me,... But maybe that is just me being anal.. what do you think about it?

bikeforas3.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2006 2:53:35 PM
Author: MINE!!
she says that it is bad enough it is pink.. but she said it is Ok for the speeds since it is cool.. But it looks.. dangerous to me,... But maybe that is just me being anal.. what do you think about it?
Know someone that has one and for rough off roading they stink but for a street bike/mild off roading they are fine.
There isn''t enough dampening in the suspension for serious off road use.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
So, I know a little bit about bikes, although I am out of practice--

Huffy's have a iffy reputation with their brakes failing, as do many Wal-Mart type bikes. I used to do some pretty serious mtn biking and my first one was that general type of the pink bike posted above. It's not terrible, but its not fantastic either. It's not dangerous per se, although the suspension is sort of silly and not enough for serious biking but too much for everyday. I bet its very heavy as well.

I'd say the most important thing you want is for the brakes to work and the chain/componants to be working well. I would personally invest in one of the lower-line Treks, or get a solid used bike from one of the better lines for under 100. Shimono componants are a good sign, but not a total gauranteee. Trek seems to be a good solid popular brand for children.

Please do not buy a bike that is too big for your sweet girls. This can cause a lot of balance problems and potentially be dangerous for them. The person at the bike shop should be able to fit them properly. Also you don't need to waste money on a "ladies" model, it doesnt mean anything but that the crossbarr is lower so you used to be able to get on it if you were wearing a skirt.

ETA: I was re-reading and saw that you already have a lot of experiance sizing them
1.gif
Sorry!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
ETA: Sorry for the overly simple advice previously. You mentioned them not having bikes at your house before, so I wasn''t sure if you had bought them bikes yourself.[/quote]

Not a problem Laine
28.gif

I really so appreciate the advice.. and I think it is good for anyone who is buying bikes to remember that stuff!!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2006 9:12:14 AM
Author: rainbowtrout

ETA: I was re-reading and saw that you already have a lot of experiance sizing them
1.gif
Sorry!

LOL

Not to worry.. boy, I must really be a loose firecracker sometimes...sorry if I come off that way too many times everyone.. I really do appreicate everything that people give me advice on Really I do.. even if I think I already know... it is good for someone to tell me again...LOL.. no worries!!!

She is really not going to do too much off road stuff. but I am going to look for the Trek bikes. The kids grow out of them sooooo fast, so they really do not seem to get ''worn out'' too often.. it is usually ''grown out'' that is a problem..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results