shape
carat
color
clarity

Mold in new apt

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, we found mold in our apartment.

There are awesome french doors and those are what won me over. The deal is we've had a lot of rain and water has apparently gotten in as I've found mold on both walls down by the hinges. Not much, but the carpet was also wet for a few days.

I called my landlord and left a message. Also looked online at the tenant laws for WA st. and read that we do not have to pay full rent till repairs are made (rent minus the deminished value due to problems - who determines that though?).

Any suggestions to arm myself in case there are problems?

So far I plan to take pictures and then print them out at Walgreens or another place that prints the date on the back of the photos.

I also have audio recording capability on my phone (not sure if that'll be useful) so I can document any communication. Is that legal recourse though (lol)?

Should I send her a certified letter?

She had a pipe burst in another apt and very promptly gutted the whole place so I do think she'll get on it (she's always on-the-ball and fixes things)...but a) is it safe for us to live in the apt while mold repair is going on?, and b) what about paying the full-rental amount while workers are coming in and out? Do I withhold Jan rent until there is something planned out?

Our rent isn't very much but our standard-of-living will go down while work is being done.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
MC, if you want to keep a good relationship with the landlord and she is prompt about making the repairs, I personally wouldn't withhold rent. Even if it's something you can do, it doesn't necessarily mean you should, KWIM? No sense in creating hard feelings if its not necessary. Or if you actually have to live somewhere else until the repair is made, then I'd talk to her about the situation first.

As far as being safe in the house until it's gone, I think it depends on the kind of mold. I'd think the repair service might be able to tell you one way or another.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
She called back and said to spray bleach on it. I told her I am concerned the mold may have spread to the carpet and possibly to the padding. Then she said she is in the drs. office and would have to call back later.

Another thought is, IF mold is getting in, shouldn't something be done to prevent the water from splashing in? I guess I'll wait for her to call.

ETA - she called again and said she can't imagine how water got in and she's "not calling me a liar," but doesn't understand how this could have happened. Then she asked if the amount of water on the carpet was comparable to my child spilling a glass of water. Not sure if she was implying anything, but even IF my kids spilled a glass of water there, it's not like they would spill them on the walls too...??? Sigh. She said to just clean it and if it comes back, call her.

Don't they have people that can come test mold in the walls? If it's on the wall... I'm guessing it could be IN the wall... :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about Washington landlord-tenant law, but I do know it is illegal in Washington to record a phone conversation unless you tell the other party they are going to be recorded.

We used to have a pair of French doors that leaked and we used a product called "Water Eaters" or something similar which looked like a big fat worm that you tucked up against the doors to trap any water coming in. They worked well for us during the rainy season. French doors (particularly ones that are older) are notorious for leaking during heavy rain storms, particularly wind driven rain.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1292924537|2802609 said:
I don't know much about Washington landlord-tenant law, but I do know it is illegal in Washington to record a phone conversation unless you tell the other party they are going to be recorded.

We used to have a pair of French doors that leaked and we used a product called "Water Eaters" or something similar which looked like a big fat worm that you tucked up against the doors to trap any water coming in. They worked well for us during the rainy season. French doors (particularly ones that are older) are notorious for leaking during heavy rain storms, particularly wind driven rain.

lol re: the recording. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work, anyway, so that's a moot point. After I bought my phone the memory kept filling up quickly and I discovered the recorder and once I turned it off, it appears it doesn't want to turn on again (and the memory has more space)! :) hahaha

I'm going to put a towel down by the doors to see if the water is seeping in on regular rainy days. The doors are newer - 2 years old, at most.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1292901545|2802409 said:
Don't they have people that can come test mold in the walls? If it's on the wall... I'm guessing it could be IN the wall... :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Yes,there are mold inspectors, especially around here where it is damp. The only thing is having someone come out here costs money and I would think she's not going to want to pay to have it inspected unless she thinks it's truely contractor fault. One of my bookcases is right up against that wall and I had a dream last night that I moved it and all my books. Maybe that's a sign that I should watch for spread of mold! :errrr:

I did look back there and it looks fine...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually surface mold isn't toxic black mold. The toxic black mold actually becomes one with the drywall or wood, from what I understand. Then, its growth pattern goes outward and will eventually appear on the surface of the wall. This is what I've been told by contractors. I'm no expert though and when I do look up photos of black mold, it looks like every other mold you see...ugh.

The thing is, you don't want mold in your house at all, so be sure to clean it. Bleach and water with a sponge. Mold (even the not so toxic) releases spores into the air and it can have an effect on your health. You aren't going to have pulmonary bleeds or anything like that, but you might begin to experience fatigue, allergies, etc. Nothing you're going to sue over, because a simple cleaning will take care of the issue. Nothing you want to live with either.

If the french doors need to be sealed again or if the wood is rotten, fixing that issue will most likely take care of the entire problem.

One last thing, I've heard from a contractor that most older homes have mold of some kind. You get into them and start tearing out bathroom walls, etc, and you will find a bit of mold. These homes don't require a mold abatement team for their remodels. So, I hope that helps a bit.

I tell you all of this because I found mold in my home and I'm literally OCD anxious about mold. It sent me into a flurry of research, talking with contractors, property managers, etc. This rental I'm living in is mold prone due to no fans in the bathrooms, etc. but it isn't black mold. One last thing I was told is that if you're living with black mold, your family will be sick all of the time.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1293123000|2804669 said:
Usually surface mold isn't toxic black mold. The toxic black mold actually becomes one with the drywall or wood, from what I understand. Then, its growth pattern goes outward and will eventually appear on the surface of the wall. This is what I've been told by contractors. I'm no expert though and when I do look up photos of black mold, it looks like every other mold you see...ugh.

The thing is, you don't want mold in your house at all, so be sure to clean it. Bleach and water with a sponge. Mold (even the not so toxic) releases spores into the air and it can have an effect on your health. You aren't going to have pulmonary bleeds or anything like that, but you might begin to experience fatigue, allergies, etc. Nothing you're going to sue over, because a simple cleaning will take care of the issue. Nothing you want to live with either.

If the french doors need to be sealed again or if the wood is rotten, fixing that issue will most likely take care of the entire problem.

One last thing, I've heard from a contractor that most older homes have mold of some kind. You get into them and start tearing out bathroom walls, etc, and you will find a bit of mold. These homes don't require a mold abatement team for their remodels. So, I hope that helps a bit.

I tell you all of this because I found mold in my home and I'm literally OCD anxious about mold. It sent me into a flurry of research, talking with contractors, property managers, etc. This rental I'm living in is mold prone due to no fans in the bathrooms, etc. but it isn't black mold. One last thing I was told is that if you're living with black mold, your family will be sick all of the time.

Thanks so much, House Cat. I'm also OCD about mold. About 11 years back, DH and I rented a nice solid home and for the entire time we lived there, I always had "brain fog." It wasn't till we began moving out our stuff when we bought our first home that we discovered there was mold. After we moved that fogginess went away. Since we live in a damp region, I guess a bit of mold comes with the territory but there, it was hard to think clearly.

I talked to a mediation service and they said to call back today with all my info. The gal did leave a message saying that in my state, landlords aren't leagally obligated to clean up mold! The problem is last night I found a bit more in the bedroom and showed DH. The location indicates the roof is leaking. So, my landlord, after I called her again, is now on the ball about coming over so I'll see what she says.

I am not sure if we can legally break our lease b/c of all this. We may pursue that option if it's available to us (and we can find a place to rent that is closer to my kids' school).

Oh, and the mold is on the drywall inside of the french doors, not on the doors, themselves. It's as if the drywall has absorbed the water...the doors look fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results