shape
carat
color
clarity

Mirena or the like...

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
So, I'm horrible at taking the pill correctly because my schedule is a bit wack and inconsistent with school and work and was considering another alternative birth control. I was thinking of trying Mirena or something similar (the patches, shots, etc don't really seem like my thing).

I'm basically looking for any feedback or opinions of Mirena or suggestions of other forms.

Pros and cons?

*Thanks in advance for any help.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
If you have had at least one child, Mirena may be a good alternative. I looked into IUD's but decided against the copper IUD and Mirena is not an option for me since is does have a hormonal component.

A couple of gals have had it around here and had good things to say. Also, keep in mind that you have to keep it in for several years to make it cost effective.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
There are a couple threads on this topic if you do a general search for "Mirena" or "IUD"

It's not actually true that you have to have birthed a child before getting Mirena. I'm proof of that.

I've had mine for two years and am moderately happy with it. My periods have stopped completely (strange adjusting to that at first) and I hardly ever think about b/c. The first 4 months were rough, however... I had almost non-stop bleeding the whole time. I also experience extremely painful, albeit sporadic and rare, abdominal pain that is likely cyst related. I was under twilight sedation for the insertion (definitely not the norm), so I don't recall if it was painful... but my sister likened insertion to a mild contraction/awful menstrual cramp, though the pain was brief. Take some Advil beforehand.

Check to see if your insurance covers insertion or the device itself. Because I did not have a child my insurance did pay for any part of it and we ended up paying $500 out of pocket. Yuck.

I've been seriously considering having mine removed. There's something about not having a period that feels bizarre, though I know medically there is no reason to menstruate (or so I've heard). ...But other than that, and other than when I'm experiencing a painful cyst, I hardly remember it's there!

Felicity

Rough_Rock
I was scared to use an IUD so I used an implant for 2 cycles. It lasts for 3 years per cycle and so I was on it happily for 6 years. I had a light monthly bleed with no cramping.

It is inserted in the inside of your upper arm with a little needle.

I came off it when we decided to TTC and having had a full work up know for sure it did nothing to affect my fertility.

Here is the Wikipedia entry : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years, and love it. I had it inserted 3 months after giving birth, didn't feel much pain, and spotted for about 6 weeks. The first year I had periods that got lighter and lighter, and PMS went away too. I've not had a period at all in I think 3 months? I've lost track :wacko: . My insurance covered it completely, I just had to pay the doctor co-pay twice for the initial appointment and a follow-up ($50 total). It's so nice not to have to think about b/c. I was on the pill 7 years before TTC, and it took 10 months to get pregnant, which I blame mostly on the hormones still getting out of my system from the pill. They say you can start TTC immediatly after having the Mirena removed, which was one reason I went with it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Virtuousmeg|1298847261|2860727 said:
So, I'm horrible at taking the pill correctly because my schedule is a bit wack and inconsistent with school and work and was considering another alternative birth control. I was thinking of trying Mirena or something similar (the patches, shots, etc don't really seem like my thing).

I'm basically looking for any feedback or opinions of Mirena or suggestions of other forms.

Pros and cons?

*Thanks in advance for any help.

I posted in the other recent thread. I had tried both the copper paraguard and mirena and hated them both. With the paraguard, my TOTM was very heavy and I would have to stay home one of the days each month! Yeah, THAT bad. Plus, I became pregnant with it still in. The nurse told me that is rare, like one out of 500 or 1,000, but it is possible and I was one of the very rare cases. And, I did miscarry. With the Mirena, I can't remember how long I had it, but experienced a non-stop headache for a month straight and the nurses insisted it was not from the Mirena, but low-and-behold, right after it came out, the headaches went away.

ETA - and I had my two boys already. The paraguard was put in soon after my second son was born.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I have one and I like it. So far it has been much better for me than birth control pills (I had weird side effects with BCP and tried several different kinds). I think the whole issue of birth control/hormones is sort of trial and error, unfortunately. For me, the insertion was painful (they warned me of this) but it is only for like a minute. Also, I felt sort of woozy afterwards (again, they warned me of this, and it is normal). The first period with the Mirena I had really really bad cramps but after that it has been fine. There was one time I had a lot of clotting and was scared it might be an ectopic but they said that was probably due to an ovarian cyst (sorry if this is TMI). Anyway, for me the Mirena has been great, I like knowing that it's there and I don't have to worry about it. Also I have not been pregnant before but my doctor said this was a good choice for me.

You could also consider the ring? (but I tried that and didn't like it...it irritated me)

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
Ponder- I don't have any children, I'm still a bit young (21). I was thinking maybe Mirena would be a good choice for me because I can have it removed whenever I feel the time is right, and if not, keep it the entire 5 years.

PilsnPinkysMom- My periods naturally (I haven't used any solid form of birth control in the past three years) are heavy and VERY painful the first day or two, but generally only last 4 days. It's to the point where I have to use menstrual heat pads, basically doze off on extra strength midol and pause whatever activities were planned. I was hoping Mirena would regulate this and maybe make them more 'normal'.

Felicity- That sounds SUPER ideal, I'll have to look into that ASAP, I was a bit nervous about the arm implant idea, but maybe it's worth it.

Virtuousmeg

Rough_Rock
MustangGal- You're experience sounds amazing.

How would you say the hormonal aspects of it compare to the pill?

MC- Blah, I already have horrible TOTM cramping/bleeding, and experience vertigo and migraines (not related to TOTM), so I can't imagine a headache for a month straight.

Sig47- Yeah, I'm iffy of the ring, I want something I don't have to insert/take myself, I want something that's THERE 24/7 and effective. But also something that doesn't make me a raging hormonal brat :/

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Virtuousmeg|1299004386|2862228 said:
MustangGal- You're experience sounds amazing.

How would you say the hormonal aspects of it compare to the pill?

MC- Blah, I already have horrible TOTM cramping/bleeding, and experience vertigo and migraines (not related to TOTM), so I can't imagine a headache for a month straight.

Sig47- Yeah, I'm iffy of the ring, I want something I don't have to insert/take myself, I want something that's THERE 24/7 and effective. But also something that doesn't make me a raging hormonal brat :/

I didn't have any problem with the hormones in the pills (I think I was one 3-4 different ones over the years), so I can't comment much there. I do know my day care lady couldn't take most hormonal BC, but did fine with the Mirena.

I had asked my doctor when I was around your age about an IUD, and she wouldn't do one until I had children. I know some have gotten it before babies, but you might have to shop a round for a doctor that will. I think there's a higher chance of it not staying in place too.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, being a woman is so difficult sometimes! There are no perfect solutions out there.

I have been on the Pill for almost seven years now. It's simple enough for me to take, but I hate the hormones. They cause mood swings for me (I have a lot of anxiety, and I think that the Pill makes it worse), and kill my sex drive (which kind of defeats the purpose!).

On the other hand, the idea of having an IUD inserted makes me feel a little sick - yes, I'm squeamish. I know that I would also constnatly worry about infection, and the (probably very small) risk of infertility.

I've honestly thought about just using condoms and spermicide (we use condoms along with the Pill now, because I'm a worrier), which apparently is very effective in the prevention of pregnancy, but I'm not totally convinced. I'm just definitely not ready to become pregnant, and although the chances are really low, I could still see myself totally freaking out over it.

hisboatmyring

Rough_Rock
I had Mirena put in yesterday and honestly it was by far the absolute worst pain in my life followed by the worst cramps I have ever experienced and for hours just constant pain. During insertion I wailed so loud my fi heard me all the way in the waiting room. ;(
I have no children and thats why they say you should have had at least one becasue your body has not gone through that before. The cramps today have subsided they come and go. But I dont know if Ill do it again 5 years.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hisboatmyring|1302643335|2894392 said:
I had Mirena put in yesterday and honestly it was by far the absolute worst pain in my life followed by the worst cramps I have ever experienced and for hours just constant pain. During insertion I wailed so loud my fi heard me all the way in the waiting room. ;(
I have no children and thats why they say you should have had at least one becasue your body has not gone through that before. The cramps today have subsided they come and go. But I dont know if Ill do it again 5 years.

Then you have a nice tight and closer cervix, which is most likely why it hurt so much! After a kid, the cervix is pretty darn open and the pain and reaction would be very different.

I wonder, why do doctors even give it to women who have not given birth when mirena is not recommended (or approved?) in that situation.

hisboatmyring

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1302644153|2894405 said:

Then you have a nice tight and closer cervix, which is most likely why it hurt so much! After a kid, the cervix is pretty darn open and the pain and reaction would be very different.
I wonder, why do doctors even give it to women who have not given birth when mirena is not recommended (or approved?) in that situation.
Which she had warned me about beforehand. I just never knew this kind of pain existed. :shock:
And I only know it is recommended for women with at least one child. I would assume it would have to be approved for it to be used if not. It is a great alternative for pills.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

how are you feeling now? for me the pain was pretty bad but only lasted like a minute. I hope you feel better soon.

Dreamer I think they are recommending Mirena for women who have not been pregnant if other BC options are not working out for them. I also read that a newer 'slimmer' IUD is being developed for women who have never been pregnant.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1302644153|2894405 said:

DD, I have Mirena (got it in 2 years ago), and my doc was pretty open to giving it to me. He said that for women in a steady relationship (which I was at the time), it was really a great option. Plus I'm very forgetful and other HBC options hadn't really worked out for me and had very undesirable side effects. He went through all of the risks with me, and we had a good discussion over my personality and medical history and whether there was any alternative. We didn't find one for a variety of reasons, and he decided to go ahead with the insertion. Insurance covered it, and I was comfortable with the risks (including the risk of damage to my uterus that could make me infertile). From what I understand, he is in the minority of doctors around here, as most of my friends that have asked for it have been denied.

However, one thing he did which I haven't heard anybody else say their doctor did was give me a medicine to soften my cervix, which made the insertion on the painful side of uncomfortable, but nothing like the agony I keep hearing about.

hisboatmyring

Rough_Rock
slg47|1302676850|2894791 said:

how are you feeling now? for me the pain was pretty bad but only lasted like a minute. I hope you feel better soon.

Dreamer I think they are recommending Mirena for women who have not been pregnant if other BC options are not working out for them. I also read that a newer 'slimmer' IUD is being developed for women who have never been pregnant.
The severe pain from insertion lasted just while the tube was going in...but she had to do it four times because my cervix was not cooperating.. the fourth and final time when it finally took was the worst. But then immediately following I had severe cramps for the rest of that day. The next day (yesterday) they were just off and on not too bad, and today almost like nothing. And Ive had almost zero bleeding so im happy with that. I will have to think long and hard about doing it again in 5 years though. I may ask about whatever it is to make my cervix soft next time. I had even taken ibprofen beforehand.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Like you, I could never remember to take the pill, and hated the side effects. I have tried various brands over the years and never found one I really loved. Several years ago, I asked my health care provider for an IUD, and she informed me I wasn't a candidate.

The reason many providers require that their patients have had at least one child is because IUDs place patients at an increased risk for pelvic inflammatory disease which can cause infertility. If you are not in a long-term, stable relationship (many years with the same partner, strict monogamy, etc.), or if you have a recent history if STI's, you are not an ideal candidate for and IUD/IUC because of you are at risk for developing pelvic inflammatory disease. Given your age, most providers will probably not give you an IUD unless you are married. There is also a risk of the IUD migrating through the uterine wall, again, not a good situation want to bear children in the future.

Not all providers follow these guidelines, and if you shop around you may be able to find one that will give you an IUD, but you really should consider the risks and advocate for your own health. Also, be aware that IUDs do have many side effects, one of the most common being painful menstrual cramps!

You mentioned that you are not interested in the NuvaRing, but I highly suggest giving it a try! If you don't like it after one month, switch to something else. It was by far my favorite method of birth control! Sure, it's a little awkward to insert and remove initially, but if you are comfortable using tampons, you should be fine. You can leave one ring in place for up to 4 weeks, so you can use it like Seasonique (the pill that boasts only 4 periods a year). I used to insert one for ring for 4 weeks, replace it with a new ring for another 4 weeks, then remove the ring for one week to have a period (8 weeks on hormones and one week off), and repeat the cycle over. If I tried using 3 rings in a row (12 weeks on hormones, then one week off {like Seasonque's regimen}) I would have breakthrough spotting. Also, I did not have as many hormonal side effects with the NuvaRing

Sorry to be a negative-nelly, I just want to you have the knowledge to make the best decision for yourself. IUD's are great, but they are not for everyone. That being said, after I give birth to my first child, I will definitely be getting an IUD!!!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
This thread really highlights my BC frustration. I can't take anything hormonal due to a cardiovascular health issue. I was also told, like Izzy, by more than one gyno, that I wasn't a candidate for IUD. My dad's an MD, and he is also very against it. That leaves us, basically, with condoms. I suppose I could get a cervical cap or diaphragm, but spermicide irritates me, so I am not sure we would be much better off with a second barrier method but no spermicide. Luckily, if I end up pregnant, it's not too big of a problem, because we plan to start trying in the next couple years anyway. Where are those male birth control pills I've been hearing about for years?!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Suchende~ Have you studied the fertility awareness method? It has been my method for two years, although my periods are terribly irregular so I have learned to detect my own my own signs/symptoms rather than following a monthly pattern.

I am a bit of a science nerd so I found tracking my fertility pretty interesting. It is a great method for trying to conceive, and also useful for trying avoid pregnancy if you are okay with an accidental pregnancy. I think I read somewhere that this method is around 90% effective when used correctly, which is probably better than I was getting with my improper use of BC pills.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Izzy03|1302754286|2895701 said:
Suchende~ Have you studied the fertility awareness method? It has been my method for two years, although my periods are terribly irregular so I have learned to detect my own my own signs/symptoms rather than following a monthly pattern.

I am a bit of a science nerd so I found tracking my fertility pretty interesting. It is a great method for trying to conceive, and also useful for trying avoid pregnancy if you are okay with an accidental pregnancy. I think I read somewhere that this method is around 90% effective when used correctly, which is probably better than I was getting with my improper use of BC pills.
Without getting too explicit... BF would definitely mind avoiding intimacy on my peak fertility times. He's very, very... receptive... to that.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
suchende|1302754607|2895704 said:

Without getting too explicit... BF would definitely mind avoiding intimacy on my peak fertility times. He's very, very... receptive... to that.

Haha, I understand. Don't confuse fertility awareness with the rhythm/calender method, it is different and more accurate.

We simply use condoms during the few peak days in the month, and go au naturel all other times. Its works better for us then having to dealing with condoms all month long!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Suchende~ Have you studied the fertility awareness method?

This is basically what we use. I'm lucky- my cycle is very regular and I can feel when I ovulate. So it makes this method really easy. I have friends who used it for two years or so. One month, shortly after they got married, she said "we need to be careful, it's a high risk day." They decided to go for it...and she got pregnant. I love that you can use it to avoid pregnancy and get pregnant, when the time is right. I highly recommend Taking Control of Your Fertility.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I've had my Mirena for almost 3 years, and I LOVE it. For me, it's been the best thing since sliced bread. A little background: I've never been pregnant but have had a tough time with hormonal birth control. It seemed that every method I tried (including Nuvaring) worked great for a few months but then my body went crazy...I would get such bad breakthrough bleeding that I'd end up with 2 periods a month. The best one was an experimental vaginal ring that was only available through a research study that I had the good fortune to get into, but even that started causing breakthrough bleeding after about 6-8 months. And once the research trial was over, I couldn't use it. It also caused severe headaches for me, so that wasn't great.

Then I decided to spring for a Mirena once I changed insurance plans to one that covered it. The insertion was the worst pain I've ever felt, but it lasted for a second and was gone. I had mild cramping and light spotting for a week or 2 after that. Then for about two years, I had light spotting for a day each month, and now my periods are completely 100% gone. I can't tell you how much I LOVE THAT!!!! :love: No periods, and pill-free birth control for 5 years. What could be better?

As for why it's not approved for women who haven't given birth, Izzy hit it right on the head. The risk of PID depends on your lifestyle, of course...you have to judge whether you're at high risk for PID or not. Many doctors will only put them in monogamous or married women; others will explain the risks and let the woman decide for herself. Some will adhere strictly to the FDA approval, but in my experience these are rare. Of course anyone who has sex in a non-monogamous relationship or even at some stages of a monogamous one should use condoms to protect against STIs and HIV, regardless of whether they have an IUD.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1302749566|2895644 said:
This thread really highlights my BC frustration. I can't take anything hormonal due to a cardiovascular health issue. I was also told, like Izzy, by more than one gyno, that I wasn't a candidate for IUD. My dad's an MD, and he is also very against it. That leaves us, basically, with condoms. I suppose I could get a cervical cap or diaphragm, but spermicide irritates me, so I am not sure we would be much better off with a second barrier method but no spermicide. Luckily, if I end up pregnant, it's not too big of a problem, because we plan to start trying in the next couple years anyway. Where are those male birth control pills I've been hearing about for years?!

Suchende, why aren't you a candidate for an IUD...just because you haven't had children? I'd find a gyno willing to put one in if you really want one. The Mirena is generally thought to be OK for people with blood clotting issues because it contains no estrogen (ask your doctor, of course). And there's the option of Paragard, the copper IUD that contains no hormones at all. Paragard does have the side effects of increased bleeding and cramping, but it works for up to 10 years and is very effective.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb|1302996487|2898061 said:

Suchende, why aren't you a candidate for an IUD...just because you haven't had children? I'd find a gyno willing to put one in if you really want one. The Mirena is generally thought to be OK for people with blood clotting issues because it contains no estrogen (ask your doctor, of course). And there's the option of Paragard, the copper IUD that contains no hormones at all. Paragard does have the side effects of increased bleeding and cramping, but it works for up to 10 years and is very effective.
I am really uncomfortable with doctor shopping. I've had three MDs including my dad advise against an IUD, because I haven't had a child and want one eventually. It's not just the insertion that I find off-putting, it's the fertility risks. As far as hormones go, I had a mini-stroke in college and have chronic migraines, so I am not a good candidate for hormones.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
This is really interesting, because for the last 4-5 years I've been on Yasmin, which I've loved, but currently I can't get it (I go to PP and PP can't afford it). I did get the Nuvaring and then freaked myself out reading about the side effects... I'm really hesitant to switch to anything hormonal that's not Yasmin/Yaz, because those have worked so well for me. I really don't want to go on other BCs like Ortho.

How expensive is Paraguard? I remember reading about that...

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
suchende|1303001156|2898108 said:
jstarfireb|1302996487|2898061 said:

I am really uncomfortable with doctor shopping. I've had three MDs including my dad advise against an IUD, because I haven't had a child and want one eventually. It's not just the insertion that I find off-putting, it's the fertility risks. As far as hormones go, I had a mini-stroke in college and have chronic migraines, so I am not a good candidate for hormones.

Fertility risks? This is so interesting to me, as I was told fertility risks associated with IUDs were myths. I just checked with my sister who also has an IUD (she has never been pregnant), and she was never warned of fertility risks either. Much of the literature I've read about Mirena says that fertility problems are no higher for women who use IUDs than those who do not.

This is not to say that your doctors are wrong. They could be correct and mine could be wrong, or vise versa. It's clear that there's no definitive answer, and yet doctors purport that there is. How can patients even advocate for themselves when doctors aren't sure of what's going on?

Hopefully I'm not offending any PS docs. I realize it's impossible to be an expert on everything, but if Suchende's doctors are correct, I'm using a contraceptive device that's compromising my fertility. If MY doctors are correct, Suchende is being denied a really great BC option for no good reason. So.. what's the reality with Mirena?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Pils, I think in the face of inconclusive evidence, my MDs have erred on the side of risk aversity. My dad wants to be a grandfather and my MDs don't want to get sued (MD's daughter who is a law student... I probably get more conservative care than most).

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
PilsnPinkysMom|1303058154|2898453 said:
suchende|1303001156|2898108 said:

Fertility risks? This is so interesting to me, as I was told fertility risks associated with IUDs were myths. I just checked with my sister who also has an IUD (she has never been pregnant), and she was never warned of fertility risks either. Much of the literature I've read about Mirena says that fertility problems are no higher for women who use IUDs than those who do not.

This is not to say that your doctors are wrong. They could be correct and mine could be wrong, or vise versa. It's clear that there's no definitive answer, and yet doctors purport that there is. How can patients even advocate for themselves when doctors aren't sure of what's going on?

Hopefully I'm not offending any PS docs. I realize it's impossible to be an expert on everything, but if Suchende's doctors are correct, I'm using a contraceptive device that's compromising my fertility. If MY doctors are correct, Suchende is being denied a really great BC option for no good reason. So.. what's the reality with Mirena?

You're right, Pils. Suchende, I think you've gotten some misinformation. The only major fertility risk with IUDs involves PID, and as I mentioned before, it's up to you to judge your risk for that. If you're in a monogamous relationship and/or using condoms, the risk is nearly zero. There's an extremely rare risk of uterine perforation, which can also affect fertility, but few doctors even mention that because it's so rare.

The fact is that IUDs have come a long way since the infamous Dalkon Shield, which was on the other hand a big fertility risk. But unfortunately, the public's and some of the medical profession's opinions have not kept up with the changing times. As for the cardiovascular/hormone issue, progestin-only methods are generally thought to be safe, but the research in that area is sparse. You could still get a copper IUD if you really wanted one.

At the end of the day, I respect your decision not to doctor-shop, but I want you to have all the facts. You sound very frustrated at the situation you're in, and the copper IUD may be a good answer for you.

ETA: Put it this way...almost every single OB/Gyn resident where I went to med school had a Mirena, and very few of them had children. The DOCTORS are getting them put in themselves pre-children! That should tell you something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results