carat
color
clarity

Let's talk baby names

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1410874253|3751787 said:
Well we are having a boy.

I had our girl name just about sorted out. I was sure it was a girl. It was going to be Josephine Frances..... and every time id talk about it with my DH, the baby would kick. I WAS SO SURE :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Buuuuut Im getting over it.

Now Im screwed. The absolute only name my husband and I like is Marshall Francis (as you can tell the middle name has to be francis/es) Problem is It sounds a bit like Mabel. And my dogs name is Mort. And my DH's name starts with an M too.

Im utterly depressed about this. I have no idea what to do. Looking at other baby names gets me super upset because i just hate everything. They just arent "us"

closest thing to other names we have include
luther
Wallace
Arnold - hubby doesnt seem to like the nn
Lewis / louis - the double s sound in the nn and fn seem concerning....

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: ive been walking around with the Peanuts music a la Arrested development all day.
Is Marshall absolutely out of the picture? I don't personally see anything wrong with having 4 family members with M names. If you really like the name, then you should use it!

Also, since your DH and your DD have the same M initial, maybe you and your DS can share the same first initial too? Do you like & have you explored names that begin with the same letter as yours? Or is that too cutesy for you?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1410878182|3751840 said:
Niel|1410874253|3751787 said:
Well we are having a boy.

I had our girl name just about sorted out. I was sure it was a girl. It was going to be Josephine Frances..... and every time id talk about it with my DH, the baby would kick. I WAS SO SURE :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Buuuuut Im getting over it.

Now Im screwed. The absolute only name my husband and I like is Marshall Francis (as you can tell the middle name has to be francis/es) Problem is It sounds a bit like Mabel. And my dogs name is Mort. And my DH's name starts with an M too.

Im utterly depressed about this. I have no idea what to do. Looking at other baby names gets me super upset because i just hate everything. They just arent "us"

closest thing to other names we have include
luther
Wallace
Arnold - hubby doesnt seem to like the nn
Lewis / louis - the double s sound in the nn and fn seem concerning....

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: ive been walking around with the Peanuts music a la Arrested development all day.
Is Marshall absolutely out of the picture? I don't personally see anything wrong with having 4 family members with M names. If you really like the name, then you should use it!

Also, since your DH and your DD have the same M initial, maybe you and your DS can share the same first initial too? Do you like & have you explored names that begin with the same letter as yours? Or is that too cutesy for you?

Marshall is a last resort at this point.

And its not too cutsies, but I wouldn't try to do it. Plus I don't like any boy names that start with that letter.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww. You still have time, Niel. I'm sure a name will come to you.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel- I looked up Marshall in the Baby Name Wizard, and here's what I got:

Brother names: Clayton, Forrest, Ellis, Wilson, Mitchell, Nelson
Sister names: Lesley, Susana, Meredith, Julianne, Elisa, Joanna
Styles: Timeless, Last Names First

If you go to the Timeless and Last Names First sections, it gives a bunch of other names of similar style. Or, if you like any of the brother names (but they aren't quite right) I can look them up and see what suggestions those have.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wright-that's cool, I like that. Avignon, how do you pronounce that?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If and when we are lucky enough to have a baby:

Girl: Elyse Suzanna

Boy: Jonathan Frederick

Our last name is a very common German last name starting with an "M".

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1411094943|3753503 said:
If and when we are lucky enough to have a baby:

Girl: Elyse Suzanna

Boy: Jonathan Frederick

Our last name is a very common German last name starting with an "M".
Classic and lovely.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been noticing people using traditionally male names more and more to name girls. Interesting trend that raises all sorts of thoughts in my mind on gender bias and expectations. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher just released their daughter's name - Wyatt Isabelle. I immediately thought of Wyatt Earp who seemed likely a very manly man. Does that cause good or bad confusion in terms of which gender is expected to be named Wyatt?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1412351197|3761373 said:
I've been noticing people using traditionally male names more and more to name girls. Interesting trend that raises all sorts of thoughts in my mind on gender bias and expectations. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher just released their daughter's name - Wyatt Isabelle. I immediately thought of Wyatt Earp who seemed likely a very manly man. Does that cause good or bad confusion in terms of which gender is expected to be named Wyatt?

It needs to stop. Girls are taking over the boy names. Ryan, Maxwell, and now Wyatt? I can't think of a single "unisex" name that hasn't gone to the girls.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. My first name was originally a males name but is now most often associated with females, even though there are still males with the name. It was always weird for me to meet a male with my name, lol.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm guilty of liking this trend. My husband and I love unisex names for girls. Our choices for our coming daughter were Riley (the winner for now), Quinn, Peyton, Skyler, and Casey.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1412360986|3761493 said:
I'm guilty of liking this trend. My husband and I love unisex names for girls. Our choices for our coming daughter were Riley (the winner for now), Quinn, Peyton, Skyler, and Casey.

See, I don't mind the unisex names (I like them as well). It's the obviously boy names that are being used on girls that bugs me.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1412361617|3761508 said:

See, I don't mind the unisex names (I like them as well). It's the obviously boy names that are being used on girls that bugs me.
Well, isn't that how it starts? First it's a boy's name, then it's a boy & girl's name, and then it's a girl's name. I think names like Ashley, Evelyn, Dana, and Beverly all started as boys' names.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
SMC|1412362409|3761521 said:
amc80|1412361617|3761508 said:

Well, isn't that how it starts? First it's a boy's name, then it's a boy & girl's name, and then it's a girl's name. I think names like Ashley, Evelyn, Dana, and Beverly all started as boys' names.

For some names, yes. But Wyatt? Maxwell? Those aren't unisex, they are solidly in the boy column. I mean I know it has to start somewhere...but don't skip the unisex step! (

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting that it doesn't work in reverse. I don't know of any girl name that changed over to being a boy name. Would Mila & Ashton call their son Isabelle Wyatt?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wyatt's cute for a girl..still seems strongly masculine to me in some ways tho, just like Maxwell. But they're such cute names for girls. I offered Elliott as a name suggestion to a friend having a girl who wanted a different name. I think it's cute for a girl. just like w/London-JD was completely against the name at first, feeling it was strictly a male name and I was so flabbergasted that anyone would think it's a boy name b/c it sound and feels so feminine to me. But whatever, I won, so who cares.

I did try to get Ripley on the list but he vetoed that like gangbusters. Too close to Riley and no way would he believe that could be a girl's name. He wouldn't give me Sigourney either. :cheeky:

I've still got a girls name tucked away for when London has kids since Trapper turned out to be a boy...we've already had the discussion that she'll use it but I won't tell her what it is until she's married. She has to use it or I'll have to get a dog or a cat and name it that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had recently fallen for the name Elias and my husband Walter. The baby would go by wally as a baby and Walt as he grew up.

Both don't really work with our middle and/ or last name, so still on the Marshall train.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1412512288|3762402 said:
I had recently fallen for the name Elias and my husband Walter. The baby would go by wally as a baby and Walt as he grew up.

Both don't really work with our middle and/ or last name, so still on the Marshall train.

I like Elias but Breaking Bad will always be in my head for a Walt, lol.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1412518164|3762439 said:
Niel|1412512288|3762402 said:

I like Elias but Breaking Bad will always be in my head for a Walt, lol.
We like them. But like I said, they don't flow well.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Russell.

Thoughts?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of Rusty but if you like it, Russell seems like it would fit your criteria of being popular 100 years ago but not now. Russell Brand and Russell Simmons come up in my mind.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any newly pregnant PSer have some baby name ideas? Im just about as obsessed with baby names as I am diamonds lately!

haha

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We really like the name Benjamin. It is the first boy name that we both seem to agree upon. I am trying to assess how popular it is, however. Whenever I hear another kid with my daughter's name (few and far between), I cringe a little inside. Everyone is different. Some people like popular names. We do not. But, wow, boy names are tough! I could easily pick 10 great girl names, but boy names are just not the same!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1416498794|3787228 said:
We really like the name Benjamin. It is the first boy name that we both seem to agree upon. I am trying to assess how popular it is, however. Whenever I hear another kid with my daughter's name (few and far between), I cringe a little inside. Everyone is different. Some people like popular names. We do not. But, wow, boy names are tough! I could easily pick 10 great girl names, but boy names are just not the same!!
Tell me about it!
I may have said this before, but the reason its difficult, in my mind, is because there is a smaller range of "normal" boy names vs "normal" girl names. Probably because so many boys are named for their fathers, the variety lessened over the years.

So you have a larger variety of girls names that feel normal while still being unique. Boy names like that are hard to find! They are either uncommon and a little bit... Unique, or more normal but common.

Benjamin is a strong name. I really like it. I don't think ita too popular.
Peter is another one I found that is soooo traditional, but no one is using anymore. In case you were looking. But feel free to ignore, I know I hate getting suggestions lol.

I'm with you though. I like an underused name.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1416505226|3787302 said:
Tell me about it!
I may have said this before, but the reason its difficult, in my mind, is because there is a smaller range of "normal" boy names vs "normal" girl names. Probably because so many boys are named for their fathers, the variety lessened over the years.

So you have a larger variety of girls names that feel normal while still being unique. Boy names like that are hard to find! They are either uncommon and a little bit... Unique, or more normal but common.

Peter is another one I found that is soooo traditional, but no one is using anymore. In case you were looking. But feel free to ignore, I know I hate getting suggestions lol.

If we have a 3rd boy, I have no idea what we'll name him. We came up with two boy names and a girl name pretty easily. If we were to have 2 girls though? Although I have a friend who just had a baby named Emilia, and I mentioned it to DH, saying I like it but prefer Amelia. And he said "yeah I really like Amelia." Um, you vetoed it off of my list long ago. Men.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1416506305|3787319 said:
Tell me about it!

If we have a 3rd boy, I have no idea what we'll name him. We came up with two boy names and a girl name pretty easily. If we were to have 2 girls though? Although I have a friend who just had a baby named Emilia, and I mentioned it to DH, saying I like it but prefer Amelia. And he said "yeah I really like Amelia." Um, you vetoed it off of my list long ago. Men.
DH's entire family is not positive about our daughter's name (Riley). They're like, "You can't tell if it's a boy or girl" - but that's why we like it!

I like Amelia too. Also Emilia. I'm pretty sure one of my pregnant friends is going to name her daughter Emilia.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tell me about it!

I do like Peter too! It is so true what you say about their being more girl names vs. boy names! I was looking at the popularity of baby names in my state today. In 2013, ranked at 20, there were 144 Benjamins, yet only 79 Hannahs (also #20)!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't you love that state viewer table for your state.
We were considering Elias for a long time. And I was worried about popularity, but in my state there were very few!

Didn't sound good with Francis though so we passed

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Niel - I really like Elias as a name, though if it doesn't work with your middle/last name, I hear ya.

Have you considered:

Elijah (same general sound but works better with Francis)
Emmett
Toby
Leo
Julian

I'm kind of late to the game so I can't tell if Francis is a middle or last name, but I think that those names sound awesome with Francis!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MuffDog|1416534349|3787689 said:
Niel - I really like Elias as a name, though if it doesn't work with your middle/last name, I hear ya.

Have you considered:

Elijah (same general sound but works better with Francis)
Emmett
Toby
Leo
Julian

I'm kind of late to the game so I can't tell if Francis is a middle or last name, but I think that those names sound awesome with Francis!!

Thanks! We had considered all of those for a moment or two, but don't work for either me or my hubby. I've been on a baby name search like a mad woman, so its hard to find a name I hadn't considered, though. Hahaha.

Francis will be his middle, as it is my husband's middle. And I got to pick the last middle. Its a strong underused name though. So I like it.

We are down to Walter James Francis and Marshall Francis.

James is in there because I am all emotional about my DH having his family name and his surname for the baby, I'm all , what about my.family, am I chopped liver??!

But it doesn't work as well with Marshall so I left it off there. Still simmering on it though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results