shape
carat
color
clarity

Le Creuset recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m taking inspiration from the Le Creuset help post. My Mom gave me an big oval one as a housewarming gift a few years back, and I have never used mine.
emembarrassed.gif
I''m not really sure how or if it''s different from cooking in a regular pot.

If anyone''s got a favourite recipe that they wouldn''t mind sharing, I''d love to check it out!

Kate

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/01/18/braised_beef_short_ribs_with_swiss_chard/

read the whole recipe before undertaking...like if you were in chem lab. you are supposed to marinate overnight.

now, you can definitely get away with shortcuts...but it's all about the process.

what regions for food do you like? I'd personally start with a braise of some kind, but probably because it's so darn cold here at night...

anyway, enameled cast iron is great because: cast iron! great heat retention. enameled! it has a non-reactive surface, and no aluminum/metals if you're worried about that sort of thing.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing you can do if you don't want to do a braise or chili or something like that is BREAD

the lid keeps in the steam, which will give you a wonderful crust.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I use it just like I use my other pots, except I don''t use it for simple things like boiling water for pasta, making rice, etc (not to say you can''t ... ). It''s really really good at soups, stews, chili (I think there''s a chili thread going on with some simple recipes), that kind of thing. I''ve also made some wonderful braised dishes (short ribs and pork ribs) in it. It does an excellent job of browning without anything sticking to the bottom so it''s good for browning the meat before adding veggies, broth/stock, etc.

Really, I don''t think there''s anything you *can''t* do in it. It''s just a great all-around pot. I haven''t tried bread yet, though ... which is surprising given my love for anything made with yeast
18.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the website has recipes and i think one can even buy a le creuset recipe book.

movie zombie

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a Le Creuset, but I do have a dutch oven. I use it for browning meats, stews, pot roast, chili, soups... tons of stuff. It de-glazes especially well. My all time favorite use for it is this no knead bread recipe from the NY Times... it is DEVINE!

Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Published: November 8, 2006
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

Related
The Minimalist: The Secret of Great Bread: Let Time Do the Work (November 8, 2006)

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet you could do a nice chilli or lentil soup. I will post my lentil soup.

Chicken,veggie, Lentil Soup

5 Carrots (whole carrots) chopped
celery chopped
2 onions chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
2 cups Lentils (I like the green ones from WF but others work)
Rotisserie chicken (from Costco or the grocery store, we use the leftovers)
2 bay leafs
Tomato chicken bullion (Knorrs Caldo de Tomate) I find this at Target but you can use chicken bullion
1 can diced tomatos
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a stock pan I pour in the olive oil and saute the carrots, onion, celery and garlic and stir until the veggies are tender. Then fill that same stock pot (veggies still in there) with 4 cups water and simmer. Then I chop up the chicken and take off the skin and throw that in the stock pot and put in the can of tomatoes. Then I stir in a couple tsps of bullion and taste to my liking. Let simmer for 10 mins and then measure out 2 cups of lentils and bay leaves. Pour in and add more water as needed; simmer and takes about 1 hr for lentils to soften.

I like to freeze some of this and eat later.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I third the no-knead bread idea--yum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results