shape
carat
color
clarity

Kids Sunscreen recommendations...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi there, my DS is 14 months old and I have tried the Neutrogena Baby Sunscreen and a CVS brand Baby sunscreen and both of them cause small hives on my sons cheeks. They don''t seem to be itchy as he doesn''t bother with them but I''d like to find a sunscreen that doesn''t cause it. I just bought the new Johnson and Johnson''s lotion with sunscreen that just came out on the market to see how that is but has anyone else gone thru this and can recommend something? All these sunscreen trial and errors are quite pricey!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out this sunscreen data base that we were just talking about last week. It may be helpful for you.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?sunscreens=1&best=1

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

California Baby received a high rating from the site.
http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/323402/California-Baby-Sunblock-Stick-No-Fragrance-SPF/

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
This is something that a mom posted on another baby site re: sunscreen. For sensitive skin, I would try the nutragena pure & free. DD has sensitive skin as well and this one doesn''t bother her.

It seems everyday someone asks about sunscreen. So I thought I would give my 2 cents since well skin is my profession. I am a dermatology Nurse Practitioner and have been practicing dermatology for 12 years thus I see children and adults everyday in regards to skin, skin cancer etc and this includes being in the know in regards to the safety of sunscreen.

First let me start by saying there is a big difference between Sunscreen and Sunblock

Suncreen is 100% NOT safe for infants under 6 months old. Honestly I would never put sunscreen on my child at any age Period. Sunscreen is a chemical blocker that use simply gets absorbed into the top of the skin in a chemical thus reflecting the suns rays and not allowing them to penetrate. These chemicals however are not safe for infants.

Sunblock is a Physical sunblocker which is 100% safe from the day your child is born up to the very elderly. Sunblock is a product that literally creates a shield on the top of your skin and get absorbed and will block out the harmful rays.

Many companies Mislabel their products calling themselves sunscreen and sunblock interchangebly. You need to look for the active ingredient.

Avobenzont; Homosalate; Octisalate, Octocrylene and Oxybenzone, : ARE CHEMICAL BLOCKERS aka Sunscreen. NEVER use this on your child this is what pediatricians do not want you to use on your children.

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as the active ingredients is a PHYSICAL BLOCKER and this is absolutely safe for your child at birth. As noted with the American Academy of Dermatology. THe active ingredients are actually pretty much the same as diaper rash paste.

The key is putting it on 30 minutes before going outside. Physical blockers need time to get absorbed into the top layers of the skin. ALso you must reapply every 2 hours of continuous sun exposure. Long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats and sunglasses are also recommended. They sell bathing suit coverups and bathing suits with a UV protection.

Recommended Sunblocks by the AAD are as Follows:

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin

Neutrogena Pure and Free

Blue Lizard

California Baby

That is pretty much it and its a short list. Most of the issue with sunscreen and babies origionally came from PABA however that is rarely if ever used. The use of chemical sunscreens nowadays can cause your child to develop a contact allergy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Fiery and would even take it a step further in saying that this policy should be applied (figuratively and literally) to adults as well. I cannot tolerate any chemical sunscreens either and only wear a physical sunblock. So maybe when you find what works for your baby the whole family can use it.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 5:34:15 PM
Author: missy
Check out this sunscreen data base that we were just talking about last week. It may be helpful for you.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?sunscreens=1&best=1

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

California Baby received a high rating from the site.

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/finding-the-best-sunscreens/323402/California-Baby-Sunblock-Stick-No-Fragrance-SPF/

Thanks for the info Missy, I think I may try California Baby next!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, thanks for all of the info. I have tried the Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby Sunblock and it still causes those little bumps on his face unfortunately. The bumps don''t seem to bother him but I just hate knowing that the lotion did that to him you know? Any other suggestions?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiery... I have the Neutrogena Pure and Free 60 and it only got something like a 7 on the Environmental website''s study.

I want to get the Badger as soon as I can find it locally! I might just have to order it on Diapers.Com with my next formula order.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 5:58:46 PM
Author: missy
I agree with Fiery and would even take it a step further in saying that this policy should be applied (figuratively and literally) to adults as well. I cannot tolerate any chemical sunscreens either and only wear a physical sunblock. So maybe when you find what works for your baby the whole family can use it.
I never knew about the active ingredients to be honest. I just used whatever sunblock was on sale. Now I''m much more careful. In fact I had purchased a Mary Kay sunscreen/moisturizer for my face and loved it because my face is very sensitive and it worked well with it but after that message realized it wasn''t really a sunblock/screen.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Mara-I think California baby is probably the best bet. It scored really well and seems to have all of the safety properties. I haven''t been able to find that brand but when I do, I''m going to pick some up.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:11:44 PM
Author: Mara
Fiery... I have the Neutrogena Pure and Free 60 and it only got something like a 7 on the Environmental website''s study.

I want to get the Badger as soon as I can find it locally! I might just have to order it on Diapers.Com with my next formula order.

Mara, I just looked up info on the Badger you mentioned and I am wondering if it might work for my DS. It doesn''t have the titanium dioxide in it only the zinc oxide so maybe that will do the trick, who knows? *shrug*

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought the Loving Naturals sunscreen and I really like it. It was rated with a 1 on that site.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:15:22 PM
Author: fiery
Mara-I think California baby is probably the best bet. It scored really well and seems to have all of the safety properties. I haven''t been able to find that brand but when I do, I''m going to pick some up.

Fiery, I think they carry California baby at BRU. I will check it out!!! I found it online too. Here it is...I think it might be worth a try.
http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-6-oz.html

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:18:46 PM
Author: lizzyann01

Date: 6/28/2010 6:11:44 PM
Author: Mara

Mara, I just looked up info on the Badger you mentioned and I am wondering if it might work for my DS. It doesn''t have the titanium dioxide in it only the zinc oxide so maybe that will do the trick, who knows? *shrug*
I noticed that and thought it was interesting-- like if titanium dioxide is ''enough'' to protect the skin then why HAVE all the other stuff in the sunblocks/sunscreens right??

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We use and had been using since Meena was 6 months old California Baby. They sell them at Target, BRU, and Whole Foods. Pretty expensive at almost $20. But safety is more important.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 7:01:48 PM
Author: qtiekiki
We use and had been using since Meena was 6 months old California Baby. They sell them at Target, BRU, and Whole Foods. Pretty expensive at almost $20. But safety is more important.

Thanks! Have your kids ever experienced any allergic reaction or hives at all from it? I''m guessing not, but I figured I''d ask...

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 6:20:00 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I just bought the Loving Naturals sunscreen and I really like it. It was rated with a 1 on that site.
I just got it too, TGal and I think it''s great. Goes on smoothly and it''s super safe for kids AND adults--we forget that we need to protect ourselves as well!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curses on all of you!

I did not give sunscreen one little thought until this thread
38.gif

Now I went out and bought the Badger brand sunscreen and it costs $23 for a rather small tube
32.gif

Hunter better end up a brain surgeon or something because of this healthy stuff
27.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
If your LO is getting hives, he could be allergic to something in the sunscreen and since he is not a newborn/teeny baby it is probably worth figuring out what it is. Especially as whatever ingredient it is may be in one of those well-recommended sunblocks. It could even be one of the mineral ingredients that are most recommended for kids' sunblock.

For example, I am allergic to something in some of the white sunblock/sunscreens but I haven't figured out which ingredient it is (though it has been years!) and it is a pretty annoying allergy. With some brands I get light hives after a few days of wearing it, and other brands I have put it on only to have to immediately go scrub it off because it itches! Generally I use the clear spray or gel sunblock now to avoid this problem, but it would be a lot easier if I knew which ingredient to avoid. I've even had problems with makeup with spf. Anywho, take your kid to a doc and see if they will give him a skin test or something.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 10:04:55 PM
Author: cara
If your LO is getting hives, he could be allergic to something in the sunscreen and since he is not a newborn/teeny baby it is probably worth figuring out what it is. Especially as whatever ingredient it is may be in one of those well-recommended sunblocks. It could even be one of the mineral ingredients that are most recommended for kids'' sunblock.

For example, I am allergic to something in some of the white sunblock/sunscreens but I haven''t figured out which ingredient it is (though it has been years!) and it is a pretty annoying allergy. With some brands I get light hives after a few days of wearing it, and other brands I have put it on only to have to immediately go scrub it off because it itches! Generally I use the clear spray or gel sunblock now to avoid this problem, but it would be a lot easier if I knew which ingredient to avoid. I''ve even had problems with makeup with spf. Anywho, take your kid to a doc and see if they will give him a skin test or something.

Good point Cara. I will bring it up with my sons Dr. at his appt in a couple weeks and see what she says. I tend to have very sensitive skin. Very prone to rashes, eczema, etc so unfortunately I think my little guy is going to have the same sensitivity.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just bought the Loving Naturals at amazon.com. i was reading the reviews of the Badger and the CA Baby and thought the LN seemed easiest to put on, wouldn''t turn J into a creamy ghost and sounded least greasy. oh and it was only $12 and rated #1 on the report.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
target sells california baby - and whole foods (they also carry the badger brand, which is an AWESOME company... they have an amazing all natural bug repellent too;-)
CB is redic expensive, but i figured a small tube is enough to cover my small baby all summer
2.gif

winelover23

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if Aveeno has been mentioned yet but I love it! My DD is 4-1/2 and I still use it on her because of her sensitive skin. Plus I find a lot of the baby sunscreen to take forever to rub in and when you have a wiggly child that can be very frustrating. Aveeno rubs in easily, isn''t greasy and holds up very well throughout the day.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 8:19:37 PM
Author: lizzyann01
Date: 6/28/2010 7:01:48 PM

Author: qtiekiki

Thanks! Have your kids ever experienced any allergic reaction or hives at all from it? I''m guessing not, but I figured I''d ask...

No reactions to CB, and Meena had really bad ezcema when she was younger ( all over her face, arms and legs).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results