carat
color
clarity

Katy Perry on Seasame Street

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Dreamer_D said:
I am not offended. More like baffled. Good lord, what were they thinking when they designed that outfit??

Um...HER? :tongue:

Tgal, HA! You nailed it.

I have a 3 year old boy, and when we were watching the news & they showed the clip of Katy Perry he yelled out, "Look Mommy, Elmo's on the news!" He didn't even notice the chick standing next to Elmo.

And for all the people in an uproar over Katy Perry's boobs, I guess they never take their kids to the beach or swimming pool where you might see a human being's body ... really the puritanical views on nudity are ridiculous.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I find the way Elmo speaks more disturbing than Katy's dress.

why are they teaching kids to refer to themselves in the 3rd person???

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yes!! My co-workers son speaks in the third person. It may have something to do with SS. For example, another boy bit him at pre-school and he said " So and so bit so and so"! That would drive me bonkers.

I would teach my kid to say "So and so bit me...see Mommy!"

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I'm all about sexiness in the appropriate place. But say for example when I go into my son's Kindergarten class next week to volunteer...How well would it go over if I wore a black bustier top and a mini skirt to go read to the kids? Yeah, not so well because I'm there to focus on children. Same with SS. Sexy is not appropriate everywhere.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Please keep in mind that some of us (ok, me at least) are not objecting to it because we're Puritans. I worked with teens and preteens for a long time and the ripple effects of not having a plethora of strong female role models (particularly in the media) who weren't using their sexuality and bodies in areas where it wasn't necessary. I want our young boys and girls to see successful women (and most kids will assume that being on tv indicates success) showing and sharing their talents without always having to rely on sex appeal.

Beaches are all about sensual pleasures. I'm all for that. My kids will be at the beach with me. I care not one whit about bathing suits.

I'm just tired of having to gear up to explain to young people that it's not ALWAYS about sex. Not always. That talent/intelligence/ability is just as wonderful for women whose breasts are not on display all the time.

I've recently been working with a lot of young 20-something males in a theater capacity (improvisational theater). The amount of times they want girls to play "girlfriends/wives/whores" is startling. At a minimum, women as sexual beings is starting to become comedic fodder. I'm tempted to believe that for some young men, it's more than that. So rarely was it suggested that women play a CAREER ROLE (i.e. Doctor, lawyer, etc.)

I worked with teens and pre-teens for over a decade. During that time, I saw more and more girls craving attention and trying to get it in overt sexual ways. I'm not saying this never happened, nor was it every gal. It did make me stop and think when more than one 13 year old told me I was one of the first role models in their lives who was a twenty (or early 30) something who wasn't trying to be cutesy or attractive *and* didn't get bashed for it.

I'm not pinning this all on Katy P., of course. It's a much larger issue and one that will always be tricky to discuss. We are sexual beings. I suppose, for me, the question is finding (and at times, surpassing) the intersection of sexuality and all other aspects of life, and then dealing with that.

That's where I'm coming from. I apologize if this is glib and not well thought out...I'm mid-dinner with my kids. I say that to prove that yes, I've had sex at least once. And I do have long talks with DH already about how we help our boys learn that women are more multifaceted than what they see in entertainment (and, unfortunately, what they will likely see in a number of their classmates) while still celebrating their sexuality.

Edited in a weak attempt to make sense. Also, I would never ask them to pull the spot off the air, but I at least have a nice talky talk with my boys about it.

Plus, ahem, ELMO DOESN'T WEAR PANTS. What's up with that? :naughty:

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...(copied from link below):

"First, the Katy Perry flap, now "Sesame Street" has done a parody on the highly sexual HBO vampire drama “True Blood.”

The parody itself does not contain any sexual innuendo, but we do think the show is beginning to forget who its audience is. We doubt 2-year-olds are familiar with Sookie Stackhouse getting “fanged.”

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/watch-it-sesame-street-s-take-on-true-blood-1.2319213

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results