shape
carat
color
clarity

IUI and IVF Success Rates

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies,

I know a good deal of you have had IUI, IVF and some other ART treatments. I just wanted to get a sense of what the success rates have been in this population. I just underwent an unsuccessful IUI, and it seems like there have been a lot of unsuccessful ones on the TTC board. Has anyone had success with and IUI and if so, what number IUI was it?

On the flipside, most who have done IVF around here seem to have been successful. Of those who got pregnant via IVF, was it on the first go or alternatively, did it not work for you?

My point here is that while I know IUI is the less aggressive way to go, if it doesn't really work for most people, is it worth spending thousands more to do a couple more rounds, or should I just skip right to IVF. I say all this with the full knowledge that I will of course be discussing this with my RE and doing what they think is in my best interest, but I was just curious as to the success rates of the ART sample group on here.

Thanks for sharing your input.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since she is no longer here, I will report that lisa1.01FVs2 got pg on her second IUI back when I was first TTC. She was 39 and it was her second TTC attempt, she had a daughter. I believe she used stimulating injections and had twins at the first scan but a singleton at 12 weeks and had a healthy baby at 9 months!

I can't off the top of my head recall others who uses IUI successfully, hopefully some more will chime in!

As for IVF, she also is not around much but BKgirl (name ?) had twins from IVF around the same time period. I believe it was her first round. I believe she had PCOS and opted not to do IUI because of the cost and because of the low odds in her case.

There are many more who had success with clomid, too many to count. I know it is not what you asked about, but there is it anyways! :))

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
DC...I read your story on the TTC thread. I'm so sorry to hear about your IUI. I have 3 good friends, each with different situations. Friend one did 3 IUI's and finally got pregnant. Her total time trying for a baby was just over a year, but that doesn't include the IUI's. Friend number 2 did one failed IUI, decided she wanted to get pregnant ASAP and wanted to cut through the bullsh*t and went to IVF. She got pregnant first time with IVF. Total time trying for a baby was just over a year. Friend number 3 did a couple of IUI's, and a couple of IVF's. Her last IVF worked, but she ended up miscarrying (can you imagine?!) She ended up going with a gestational carrier who carried her egg and her husband's sperm, and ended up with beautiful twin boys. She also wanted to cut straight to the chase after the m/c and decided to do the gestational carrier. All of us are 32, and they all had/will have had their babies within 9 months of each other!

Bottom line, it's your (and your RE) choice, but YOU WILL BE A MOMMY. There are too many options for you not to be one. If I were in your situation, I'd maybe do one more IUI (if my RE thought it would be helpful). Then I'd do one round of IVF. Too expensive for me personally to do more. Then I'd go the surrogate route, or adopt. It takes some people a LOT of time and money. In my RE office I saw several women coming in and out of there in tears. It was such a hard waiting room to be in. Don't know if what I posted helps at all, but those were 3 separate stories of grief, heartache, and lots of money down the drain, but they all ended up happily ever after. I am giving you big, big hugs over the Internet.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have a good friend with unexplained infertility who did two rounds of IUIs, then did what Lanie's friend did--went straight to IVF and got pregnant. She is now trying for baby #2 and is going straight to IVF if it doesn't happen naturally by this spring.

For the first round I believe she had three follies over 16mm (one was 18, I think?) when she got the trigger shot. The second time she had fewer. Her DH's washed sperm count was pretty high, I think it was 14 or 15 million both times. Her doc said her success rate would probably be under 20%. The second time she did it she developed cysts and decided she was ready to just go for IVF. Emotionally I think she wanted the stepping stone of having the IUIs since IVF is pretty intense, but by round 2 she was completely ready for IVF.

For IVF, they implanted two embryos and neither was particularly strong. I think she was hoping for an 8-cell, but she had 2 6-cells and I seem to remember her saying something about how they weren't strong 6-cell embryos. Anyway, the doc gave her a 35 - 40% chance and it worked. She lost one along the way, but the other stayed strong and she has a baby boy.

ETA: I wanted to add that one of the reasons she wanted to skip another round of IUI was because of insurance. We both get $25K of infertility treatment per year through our insurance and she couldn't do another round of IUI AND IVF (if the next IUI didn' work) unless she paid out of pocket. If she'd been paying it all out of pocket I'm not sure what she would have done.

cara

Ideal_Rock
dcgator- there was a new england journal of medicine article that addressed exactly what you suggest and found that for some patients, it was more cost effective (and less frustrating) to move to IVF after fewer attempts at IUI than is currently practiced. I don't have time right now to look up the study but you might try - it was fairly recent (last 5 years) - and it would tell you which patients that finding applied to. you would probably have to pay to read the article if you dont have access.

Sorry for unsuccessful iui...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
my friend with the triplets had 2 or 3 failed rounds of IUI, I think. IVF on the first try yielded triplets.

Her sister also had a round or two with IUI, and failed. First round of IVF gave her twins.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DCgator! I just posted to you in the TTC thread before I saw this topic. IVF is very serious and time-consuming and invasive. I would try maybe one or two more IUIs first...BUT not with Clomid. I know Clomid works for some ladies, but I really think for the most part it's a waste of time. I would go straight to something that has better odds of working for unexplained infertility--the big guns so to speak: injectables. You will likely have more and better follicles with injectables than you would with Clomid. I see that with this first IUI, you had the one follie, right? I think it's better to have more than one, because obviously more targets equals better odds that one will get fertilized. I did one cycle of Clomid and only ever had one huge follie. Then I did Follistim, and had 3-4 follies. I was so excited. :bigsmile: One of those was the good one and that's how I got KU.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
DCgator- I'm sorry your IUI was unsuccessful.
Here's my story- December of 2007 I had an ectopic which resulted in the loss of my left tube. I then had a miscarriage in October 2008. At that point I saw an RE to see if there was anything we could do to help increase our chances of getting pregnant, since I only had one tube and was already getting up there in age. We then had 5 unsuccessful IUI/clomid cycles, went to IUI/follistim and I got pregnant the second iui/follistim cycle (that was ectopic and ended up with the tube being removed. We did IVF in May of 10, which was not successful- we did however have frozen embies which we did a frozen transfer in July and I am now pregnant with twins.

Looking back, I wish we wouldn't have wasted so much time with IUI's. The success rate is only like 20% (that's off the top of my head, and I'm not sure where I got the number). I certainly wouldn't do IUI/clomid, I think the rates are higher for IUI/injectable meds. The only reason I wasn't more aggressive is because in the back of my head I kept thinking I'd gotten pregnant twice so certainly it would happen again. When the second ectopic resulted in the loss of that tube also, IVF became the only option. Had I only known this 3 years ago!! But I'm thrilled to be pregnant now and at this point that's all that matters.
IVF success rates can vary widely by clinic, but the SART website lists success rates for clinics.
Good luck to you!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My situation is different, but our surrogate conceived twins through IVF on the first try.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Hi DC and hugs.
Can we get a woot woot for Tiffany?!? So so so excited for you!

Every body is different, but I was one of the "lucky" 17.8% who got pregnant on the first IUI with follistim/ovidril. Here is the thing, like Laila said, I was just wasting time (and feeling like shite) on clomid cycle after cycle and just making lots and lots of tiny unripe follies. So with the first round of injectibles, I don't even know if we needed iui, I finally had 2 good looking follicles and that had NEVER happened before as I was closely monitored. The practice we used doesn't let you use injectibles without the iui, (I think for their statistics, ART is huge money here in a state where insurance is mandated to cover it), but I cannot sing the praises of the shots any louder. They really weren't hard to do, and the side effects were nothing compared to clomid. The hormone levels for an iui cycle are much lower than for an ivf cycle because you want to make fewer eggs, so it just messes with your bod less (I am willing to bet cash that DC knows this, but I wanted to put it out there for others -ahem Fisher!)

ETA: Several friends who have purchased sperm (lesbian couples) used an at home iui and got pregnant on the first/second round after temping a few cycles. One even had 45+ day cycles so she used a ton of opks to time it perfectly. The literature says that iuis are more effective than without using intervention, they are a pain, but yowzers way less invasive than ivf. Then again, whatever gets you a healthy baby is fantastic!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swimmer said:
Hi DC and hugs.
but I cannot sing the praises of the shots any louder. They really weren't hard to do, and the side effects were nothing compared to clomid.

I too loved my Follistim, the whole thing was a piece of cake. I was actually excited to do the shots each night! :rodent:

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I should clarify a little- I wish we hadn't done so many clomid/iui cycles, and had gone onto follistim earlier. I feel like the clomid/iui cycles were a waste but the follistim/iui worked on the 2nd try (pretty good for only having one tube at the time).
I too loved the follistim!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies,

Thank you so much for sharing all your personal and family/friend stories. I probably should have given some more feedback on my experience, so to back track, I am 28 years old and have been off BC since last December, and have essentially hit the fertile window in about 9 or 10 of the past 11 cycles. I have ovulated regularly since my first cycle post BC, and save a couple longer or shorter O dates, I ovulate around CD 13 or 14. Over the past few months, my LP has been on the shorter side, 10-12 days, with spotting, so I was put on Progesterone 3 months ago, first orally then with this last IUI, internally...After getting numerous sonograms, bloodwork and an HSG, it was determined that I have nada wrong with me. My DH had his SA and they said that he had some lower morphology, though his quantity should make up for that, so it's not a huge issue. In any event, my RE recommended we try IUI. Her normal course for IUI is 3 cycles, and then move onto IVF. We started with low grade drugs, so 5 days of Clomid. The Clomid didn't seem to do much though, as I had one follical of 25 mm and one of 14 mm.

So that's where I am right now, and I am just waiting for my RE to call me to discuss the next steps.

Dreamer - Thanks so much for relaying old PS'ers stories. I didn't have the pleasure to meet those two ladies, but they have great success stories. Thanks for chiming in!

Lanie - Thanks for the hug and thanks for sharing. Those are three quite different stories. I guess the third time was actually the charm for your first friend. On the TTC thread, we have three ladies who just underwent their 3rd IUI, 2 have been unsuccessful and we are all hoping that the last one will hit the jackpot! As for the 2nd friend, I can totally understand her frustration, and I think I may be very much like her. But, right now I am leaning towards one more go of IUI before I break out the big guns, so to speak. I am very sorry about your 3rd friend's experience, but I am so happy that she was finally able to get her 2 LO's via a surrogate.

NEL - Thanks for sharing your firend's story. I'm so glad she finally had her little boy. I am indeed coming out of pocket for all of this, but being as IVF is so much more expensive and emotionally draining, I may try one more go of IUI first.

Cara - Thanks for the advice, I am going to hunt that article down!

Tgal -Thanks for sharing. IVF definitely sounds like the more effective, yet aggressive method. I won't share that one with my DH though b/c he is super worried about having twins, let along triplets! That being said, my RE practice is pretty conservative, so I don't think they would implant three embryos.

Laila - Thanks for posting here and in the TTC thread. I appreciate the love! So, to be clear, does that mean that your 2nd IUI, using injectibles, you got KU? And were you also diagnosed as unexplained infertility? I hear you on the Clomid. I think I am going to request stronger drugs. After hearing about everyone else having like 5 or 6 viable eggs, compared to my measly one, I think the other drugs are warrented. We'll see what the doc says though.

Tiffany - Thanks for sharing your story. I know you were an inspiration to many of the ladies on here, and I applaud you for hanging in there so long, you are such a trooper! Huge congrats on your little ones! Rest assured that I will not be doing more than 3 IUI's. The treatment protocal of my RE says 3 IUI's then on to IVF (possibly another round of 3 IUI's, if you are really anti -IVF) and I tend to agree with that, ie if it hasn't worked before, it probably isn't going to work again. And you are correct, the success rate is around 15-20% with IUI, so not much more than normal (although with unexplained infertility, your "normal" is closer to 3-5%), so while it's better odds for un. infer. patients, it doesn't give you nearly as good odds as it does with IVF.

Penn Quaker - Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your little ones!

Swimmer - Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Wow, a jerkstore IUI, eh, congrats! I hear you on the injectibles. I am going to push for them this go. And yes, I do know that IVF is a whole mess more drugs, but I also want to be the most effective as possible, since I am paying for all this myself. I'm pretty sure my RE would give me some major pushback if I wanted to go straight to IVF too ;-) That's interesting about all the "at-home" IUI's. Congrats to them for getting KU that way.

Well, I am still waiting for the doc to call, but I think I have a game plan now. I am going to shoot for one more IUI with Follistm (or another equivilent injectible) and see if that won't do the trick. Thanks so much for everyone's input!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like the Follistim really is the way to go. Glad you have a plan of action Dcgator. :))

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I did years of infertility treatments. First just progesterone supplementation and timed BD, then clomid, then femara, then femara + injects + IUI. I have PCOS, LPD, DH has low volume, morphology, and count. We got a BFP on our first femara + BD cycle, but lost that baby at 8.5 weeks. Then after months of injects cycles, we finally got a chemical again on our first femara + injects + IUI cycle. A couple more months of the same old after that (and one failed IUI cycle), we decided to move on to IVF. I was sick of the 15% chance at best each month, with my clock ticking louder and louder, and knowing that both of us had issues that might not just be overcome by IUI. Our clinic had over 70% success rates in my age group for a fresh cycle. We got cancelled prior to retrieval on our first cycle for poor estrogen levels not correlating to the number of follicles, and got pg with a singleton on our second cycle of IVF.

I think it's totally reasonable given that there doesn't seem to be much wrong with you, and only a little wrong with your DH, to try injects + IUI at least once. The only thing is that if you up your chances by aiming for multiple follicles, you also increase your risk of multiples. At least IVF lets you reduce that risk by only transferring one or two good embryos. John and Kate + 8 were the result of IUI...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
dcgator, I am sure they won't be implanting three for you. They did for my friend because she had 7 years of infertility plus she was 35.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
dcgator, I am sure they won't be implanting three for you. They did for my friend because she had 7 years of infertility plus she was 35.

I was about to mention the same thing--my friend's doc (who is at Mass Gen) would only implant 2 embryos because she had unexplained infertily, thus no real issues, and it was her first round of IVF. She was 35, however that wasn't enough to justify 3.

I think your plan of one more round of IUI w/ Follistm is a good one. I know this will all be a distant memory soon--you are still young, healthy and know all of your options. We're all cheering you on!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
drk said:
John and Kate + 8 were the result of IUI...

Most responsible docs won't trigger you if you have more than 3-4 follies during an IUI cycle. I thought I remember reading that their doctor cancelled their IUI, but Kate insisted on BD anyway. Yikes!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
dcgator, I have 2 friends that have gone through these procedures.

The first one had unexplained infertility, did many rounds of unsuccessful IUI and then got pregnant on her first IVF cycle--2 embryos were transferred and she went on to have one healthy daughter. The next two cycles of IVF with frozen embryos were unsuccessful and she was devastated. And then out of nowhere, she found herself spontaneously pregnant! She and DH had been having unprotected sex because they figured they had nothing to lose and now she is 7 months pregnant with a little boy! You never know what can happen.

Another friend of mine didd IVF as well. First cycle, she hyperstimulated and they called off the transfer so she had to wait a month and transfer a frozen embryo. It worked and she has a daughter. The next 3 frozen cycles were unsuccesful as was the next fresh cycle. Finally on her fifth attempt with another fresh cycle, she had 2 embryos transferred and is now 15 weeks pregnant with a singleton.

IVF is certainly very costly and there are still no guarantees that you will get pregnant. It is also tough emotionally, physically and hormonally. You should definitely speak to your doctor and get some real input on whether or not try IUI again or go straight to IVF. Good luck!!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks curly for using the correct terminology. Embryos get transferred, but whether they implant or not is another thing entirely!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Not a ton to add, and not sure if you've been diagnosed "unexplained," but in my case, which I'm unexplained to a degree because even though I've had several cycles of ovulating "on time," I've still not ended up pregnant, my new dr. said that after two years of trying unsuccessfully, a couple has a 2-5% chance of conception each cycle. That devastated me because I was thinking about the standard 25% chance each cycle. It does make sense, I suppose, that the odds would dip a bit, but 5% is so slim!

He said that IUI (and for us it would be clomid, ultrasounds, trigger, IUI, then at home trying, too) for the first 3 rounds gives you 20-25% chances at conceiving. Doesn't sound like much when you compare it to the 25% odds of conception each cycle for people trying to conceive in the first two years, but when you compare it to 2-5%, that's a HUGE jump back up.

Knowing I'm pretty conservative about this stuff, I questioned the need for the trigger. I'm all for ultrasounds because I know I ovulate well on Clomid and I don't want too many babies (although, admittedly, twins would be a welcome blessing for us!) and wouldn't do selective reduction under any circumstance. He explained that the trigger is important because it causes the egg(s) to drop, and therefore, times the IUI best. And he won't complete an IUI if there are more than 3 eggs of optimum size during the ultrasound prior to the trigger. So, should we go that route, I feel comfortable with the trigger now because it increases the odds of the IUI being successful.

I have a friend who did 3 rounds of IUI, she was unexplained after 4 years of TTC. None of the cycles were successful. They are now in the process of adopting and have a high potential of being parents come the spring.

Another friend of mine got pregnant first round of IUI (clomid/iui, no trigger). She'd been trying just over a year and was really unwilling to not do IUI. She went to a few different drs. before she found one willing to do a clomid IUI w/o having her do clomid alone first. (She has PCOS.)

I also asked why there was a limit set at 3 cycles; the dr. said that the odds of IUI alone being successful drops off gradually with each attempt, making a plummet after 6. So that's why he said 3 is the typical.

Good luck to you, DC. I'm hoping for good news for you VERY soon!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to add that the doc said that sometimes when all things test "normal," and there's still an issue, it can be a CM/sperm conflict. Sometimes the CM isn't the right quality/quantity, or the sperm can be weakened moving through it, moving slower and tiring out before they reach the egg, or the CM can be "hostile" and kill the swimmers in the middle of their course.

There's a test, I think it's called post coital, that can be done to see if that's the issue (you have to go in for an office visit during your fertile phase, after having intercourse for a sample to be taken for examination), but the dr. said that the test is expensive, and at this office, IUI is about the same price and if that was the issue, IUI bypasses that concern completely, anyway.

I have several friends with fertility issues and I've not known any of them to have done that test, nor have I seen it mentioned here. Leads me to believe it's highly expensive or that since IUI bypasses the issue and there's not really any other "treatment" for hostile CM anyway, most drs. just go straight to IUI.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies,

Thanks for the continued comments. I wanted to report that I did another IUI. I did this cycle with Clomid and Follistm (2 injections) and I produced three little follies of about 19, 22, and 21. I am happy to have the additional "targets" so to speak. I just had the IUI a few hours ago, and I am super confident that it will work this time. I will let you guys know how it went in a couple weeks though ;-)

Drk - Thanks for sharing your story. That is a whole heck of a lot to work against, so I'm happy to hear that your were finally able to get your LO. Yes, we did go with a Clomid + injectible IUI this time. The Follistm ended up making 3 eggies instead of just one on the Clomid, so that's good. As for the multiple things, my practice is pretty conservative and monitors all cycles (even just Clomid), and they will cancel if I had 4+ eggies. I am not 100% sure I wouldn't get multiples with 3 follicles, but I would settle for one LO ;-)

NEL - Thanks for the well wishes. I will let you all know how it goes. Btw, are you getting ready to "offically" start your TTC journey?

Curlygirl - Thanks for sharing your friends' stories. I am happy that they both got their LO's, both through IVF and au natural :bigsmile: . Yes, the whole IVF (and IUI) process is stressful indeed, but at least I feel like I am being proactive. We'll see how this IUI goes though!

Fisher - Thanks for adding all the info. I think your Dr and my Dr went to the same school, lol. Mine says that we have unexplained infertility, and she gave us those 2-5% odds too. My practice is also pretty conservative and monitors all medicated cycles and will not trigger if there are more than 4 eggs. However, my doc only gave the IUI about a 15-20% chance of getting KU. They also said the thing about the 3 rounds of IUI. As expressed earlier, I don't know if we will do 3 IUI's, since we are paying for it all and might just want to bring out the big guns if this doesn't work, but hopefully we won't have to bother with that :)) As for the post coital test, my doc said that is indeed cost prohibitive and even if they did find an issue, they would do IUI or IVF for it, so there really is not point, in there eyes. I tend to agree, since it would be one more test I have to pay for, lol. Anywho, if you and your DH decide to go the IUI route, feel free to ask any questions you have, and I will try my best to answer.

Thanks again for all your contributions ladies!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
DC - do you mind disclosing just how much one cycle of IUI is costing you?

My insurance covered 50% and ended up costing me around $800 (including 2 doc visits, 2 ultrasounds, estradiol blood test, all medications, trigger shot and the actual IUI with sperm washing.

I am very curious because I will be losing my infertility coverage come December 1 - will also be switching hospitals from Kaiser to UCLA. I'm hoping to be able to find an OBGYN who will do all this for me (since i've already had all the workups with Kaiser).

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jen,

That was one of my questions, too. I asked about it and was given the following information:

(Our insurance does not cover any fertility treatment at all, but I'm diagnosed "irregular periods," so I can be given at least two ultrasounds under that diagnosis, which insurance will cover, as well as the blood work leading to the IUI)

Clomid is 10 copay

Ultrasounds (those not covered) is 180

I can't remember the cost of the trigger, I need to call back about that

IUI and washing is 600

The Dr. said it depends on how many ultrasounds you need.... sometimes only two, sometimes as much as four. I don't know; what's been the case for you all? I can see that being the majority of the cost, because that adds up and there's no way of knowing how many you'll need. Kinda wish it was a package deal, so we'd know the cost in advance.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fisher and Jenn,

I am happy to share. My fertility clinic offers an all in price, if you don't have insurance. That price includes ALL ultrasounds, bloodwork, the IUI procedure and pregnancy tests/bloodwork. There is no cap on how many ultrasounds/BW you can have done. My first cycle was only 2 B/W and ultrasounds, while this cycle, I had three. The also do pricing on a step basis, so the more procedures you have, the lower the price. So, for my first IUI cycle, it was $1600 and for the second IUI it was $1400. If I have a 3rd cycle (or more), the price drops to $1200.

I asked them about the cost of each thing, should I have to cancel the cycle midway and not proceed with the IUI and their response was that it will cost about $400-$600 per ultrasound/BW, if I paid for each. So, in my eyes, the all in price is quite a bargin, especially once you get into a couple of cycles.

I don't know if there are other clinics that have that kinda pricing on the West Coast (FIsher I don't know where you are), but I would see if you could find one, if you have to pay on your own.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. :))

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I'm in GA, but am really a Cali girl who got transplanted.

All this talk of Clomid IUI cycles not being as successful has me wondering....

I took Clomid (50mg) last year, and didn't get pregnant, but did have nice follicles develop from them (at least on the cycle I had an ultrasound). I wonder if knowing that means that a Clomid IUI is more successful in people for whom Clomid has adequate results. This Dr. prescribes 100mg Clomid for IUIs, even if you ovulated fine on 50mg. I don't know how I feel about that yet, because it makes me worry that I would over-ovulate and have a cancelled round.

So, does the Follitism only work to create more follicles (as the name would imply), or is there another effect it has that causes IUI to be more successful (hormonal changes making implantation more likely, etc.)? Hmm... I could really be an annoyance to my Dr. office today. :bigsmile:

Also, has anyone had any experience with TSH (thyroid) issues being a cause of fertility issues? I've been tested multiple times because I *stay* cold all the time and my iron is fine now, and it's not gotten any better. I've read a lot aobut having a HIGH level is not good, but I can't find anything about having a LOW number. Average ranges between .40 (or some say .30) and 4 or 4.5, I think. In 2009 I tested at .85 and in October, I tested at .49, so I wonder if that plays any role. The Dr. said that it's not wise for me to start thyroid meds because that's a med you take forever, pretty much, and because it's "within range." But I've also read that TSH is best between 1-2 for conceiving. I read that eating green veggies helps increase it, and I eat healthy, so then I looked to supplements. I read that selenium can boost the number, but then I read on the bottle that you shouldn't take it while pregnant. Forever hopeful, I put the bottle back and never bought it.

(Tried posting in the TTC thread and it got eaten, but wanted to say hoping the goodness of motherhood is happening right this moment in there, DC!)

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Fisher - Regarding the Clomid, I wouldn't worry too much about it, so long as your are monitored by your OB/RE. However, I would definitely not take the Follistm off the bat (or even at all), since it just increases the quality/quantity of eggs. I didn't respond to the Clomid (I only had the one big egg and one too small egg) so that is why they put me on the Follistm, and I responded nicely, producing three quality eggs. So far as I know, the Follistm it self does not have any effective on the success of the IUI.

I can't help you much with the thyroid issue other than to say that I too have heard that the 1-2 level is optimal for achieving pregnancy. Please do share if you get any other info on that.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
When I was at the Dr. today we got some stats on IUI/IVF etc success rates. I remember DCgator asking about the former at the top of this thread.

Only 2 clinics specifically published the IUI %'s on this leaflet and they are:
18-22% overall per cycle at a clinic in Clane
and
13.9% overall per cycle at a clinic in Dublin

Just so ya know :wink2: .

cara

Ideal_Rock
If you are comparing clinics art success rates, make sure you compare apples to apples in terms of both the patient populations and the procedures used. If one clinic only counts women < 35 in their stats, for example, that will make them look artificially good versus a clinic specializing in or merely serving a lot of older women. Same thing with # of embyos transferred, what stage they are at, what drugs are used in IUI cycles, under what conditions they cancel a cycle, etc. Sure, use the statistics they provide to inform your decision making, but there is a lot of room for tweakng the numbers and possibly misleading desperate potential parents!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results