shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s raining inside my house! Share your Horror Stories!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Seriously, I feel like nothing is going right these days... we''re in the middle of a huge deluge and my roof and/or skylight is leaking something awful. I woke up this morning to a huge puddle in the hallway below the skylight. I put buckets in place and mopped it up while knowing nobody will do anything during the rain, and then a few hours later when I went back upstairs, there was another huge puddle in the bathroom. It''s now coming through the vents in the ceiling. I imagine there is just this huge pool of water in the ceiling looking for any way out and the crack it put in the drywall wasn''t big enough so it''s gone to the vents.

And since we''re new homeowners we don''t have a handyman to call, but our home warranty is also expired. Ah joy, really wish I were still renting.

Anybody else want to share your homeowner horror stories? Bring it on! The only cure for my heartache is laughter!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had painted the kitchen in our new house, moved all the china, glasses and chrystal in. New hardwood floors. Hubby had a plumber install a new sink in DD''s bathroom. We went away for the weekend, to find our newly painted kitchen flooded. Floors had to be redone. Cabinets had to be painted all over again. The bright side?? We got all new appliances because they were wrecked due to the water damage. But still it was a PITA!!! Sorry Sum, hope you can get it all fixed soon!!!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
mine's not that bad-- more of a 3:30 a.m. PITA.

DH was getting ready to go to work. he had to be in really early. i was sleeping as he was getting ready in the bathroom (which was attached to the bedroom.) anyway... i hear him scream. i jump out of bed to find out that --- when he went to turn off the water, the faucet handle BROKE OFF IN HIS HAND. water was GUSHING everwhere like a geyser. like hurtful powerful. well, he went to fix it and cut his hand. so now there's blood and water gushing. y-e-a. so then he goes to turn off the water switch or whatever and the lever was missing. so he had to take it off of the hot water and use it to shut of the cold water. meanwhile i'm sopping up the mess with towels. not a fun way to wake up and start your day!

eta: guess mine doesn't qualify cause it was just in our apartment. we move into our new house next month. ***crossing fingers***

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
One day I was at home, getting ready for work, and running a little bit late, but if I left within 5 minutes I''d be on time for my meeting at work. I''d just finished blow drying my hair and getting dressed and I was walking back into the bathroom to wash hair gel off of my hands. The ceiling chose that opportune moment to crash on top of me (think old plaster, horse hairy ceiling). THAT''S what you get in Boston for 1,000 a month...an apartment where the ceiling could fall on you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About 14 years ago I owned a duplex condo that was on the top floor of a building and the pool was also on that level, but about three steps higher than my first floor level. One morning I came down the stairs from my bedroom to go to work and as I approached my front door I realized I was sloshing through water. Turns out they were doing some maintenance on the pool and forgot to turn the hose off when they were done refilling it. The water ran all night and flooded the first floor of my unit. They had to pull the carpet up and run fans in my condo for DAYS to get it to dry out. Fortunately the water never reached as far as my upholstered furniture, but what a mess!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Wow, lots of water problems!

Just got good news... our home warranty/construction people agreed with us that it was the result of a construction defect and they are going to fix it for us. That''s the best outcome I could ever ask for.

Here''s another water problem we had...

We moved in at the beginning of August. Well, the Friday of Labor Day weekend, FI screamed to me from the basement. The sewage pump had just run and the overhead pipes were spraying sewage all over the basement! Apparently one of the joints on the pipes hadn''t been glued, just sort of pushed into place, so over the course of a month, with sewage running through it courtesy of the pump, it worked it''s way free. Did I mention it was the FRIDAY of a holiday weekend? We couldn''t get anybody to help us until Monday. Luckily we had another bathroom that used different pipes, but it was a mess to clean up, literally wiping sewage off the walls of the basement. FI wanted to sell the house, but I convinced him that with a wet/dry vac, rubber gloves and a lot of bleach, we could survive.

The plumber apologized profusely and offered to send in a cleaner, but by that point we''d already bleached the house.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully my story will make you feel a bit better about your situation.

A little over two years ago we bought a 2nd home and I moved into it, 3 hours from dh. We lived apart for 15 months while he sold his business, he would come up on weekends. Fortunately he was with me on this particular day just 4 weeks later with Hurricane Ivan approaching. We live 5 hours from the coast but sadly felt the affects full force. I parked my auto in the yard away from all the trees, and dh parked his car next to our house in a "safe zone" (sorry but I chuckled as I watch him do this). It wasn't long before the storm hit. We're freaking out trying to figure out where best to either watch it from inside, or hide in the basement. Just before it gets dark, we're looking out our front window wondering if a massively tall pine was going to survive the winds then suddenly the entire house sudders and there's a huge boom!

We turn around but can no longer see out our kitchen window....a HUGE oak tree had fallen.....and guess where it landed? Yup, right on dh's car!!! (insert Big I TOLD YOU SO
2.gif
Unfortunately the tree also hit the edge of our roof and suddenly had terrible flooding leaks that came in through our kitchen and master bath. This house is old, the walls are plaster, what a mess. We have great insurance but it took them nearly 8 weeks to get to us because of the mess on the coast.

We also got 8 inches of water in the basement, all we needed was a canoe! Thankfully we're completely recovered.

If dh had not been here on that particular day I'm not sure what I would have done. We happened to have tarps, a staple gun and lots of contractor trash bags for redirecting the rain in the attic. We had no electricity for a week, that got old.

Okay, your sewage story is awful....OMG, that is terrible, thankfully you were able to get through it. And yeah for the contractor fixing your current problems!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results