shape
carat
color
clarity

Introducing a toddler to daycare - more questions

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I'm piggy backing on qtiekiki's earlier post, but we are also looking to introduce our 2 year old to daycare--most likely by the time she's 2.5. Up till this point she has been watched exclusively by my mother. She has been a bit sheltered as a result, used to her surroundings and immediate family (and being the center of it ;)). She has gone to library readings with other children and done well in that environment (after initial shyness)--although she did go up and try to turn the pages herself while the librarian was reading (oops)! She is a gentle natured child, no real hitting, pushing or tendency to be possessive. I haven't needed to do many time outs as a result.

Anyway, I'm wondering if BTDT moms can tell me if any of the following might help her (and me!!!) ease her into it or if my best bet is to go full force and let her go full time--it would only be 2 days a week, but would be full 10 hour days :(.
1) Would it make things easier if I opted for an in - home daycare (assuming it meets the standards etc. after all my research/cross referencing etc.). I ask this because maybe a full on institutional daycare would be too much to adjust to at once.
2) My company offers back up daycare near my office. It's a well regarded daycare (I think it might be curly girl's :)), and I can use it one day a month for free as back up care. The drawback is she'd have to do my commute with me, but it means I can expose her slowly, be nearby and pick her up earlier. Still it would mean a totally different full time place if I did eventually settle on putting her in consistentlly.

Thanks ladies. I know pre-school a few hours and lots of playdates helps-but unfortunately my schedue doesn't allow for this unless I take days off.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Throw her to the wolves! She will be fine! ;))

In home care scares me but I am a very untrusting person. I like a legit center that has LOTS of people around. T goes to daycare twice a week and it is great for her. They have a very structured day. They are divided into 3 smaller groups so the teacher-student ratio is low. They have spanish, art, gym, play outside, etc. Most importantly she learns to listen/obey adults that are not her parents and get along with other children. They do have nap time but T never does. She does, however, stay quiet on her blanket.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
James has gone to an in-home daycare part-time since he was 6 months old (he's 2 now) and has done great. Right now there are two other boys there around James' age and he talks about them even when he's at home. Our provider started teaching him sign language right from the start so that was fun for all of us to learn with him. She does not allow tv/vidoes, except for 30 minutes on Fridays. We provide his meals and snacks, but she will supplement if the kid really wants more food. She also lives one street over from our house so it is really convenient to drop him off and pick him up on the days that he's there.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Diva and Tacori, I appreciate you chiming in. I agree with both of you. Like Tacori I'm an untrusting person so an in-home daycare does make me nervous. It's also not really cheaper than the institutional one. However a friend highly recommended this one and has had her son in it from 3 months which is why I decided to at least check it out. Pros and cons I guess--I prefer a regulated enviornment with multiple eyes (hence why I don't want a nanny), but an in-home daycare is most similar to our home environment plus I like that it's not as strict with pick up times. The institutional daycare will charge me by the minute if I'm late and they consider 6:01pm late! Kind of tough when my commute is 1hour.

Anyway, thanks again. All you ladies did so great with introducing your kids to daycare and here I am a nervous wreck and all talk and no action!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results