shape
carat
color
clarity

If men always suffered from UTI''s....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
...they would probably have over the counter antibiotics.
I can''t believe the sudden onset of UTI''s and the severity of the pain. I had plans today. I was going to stop at Costco after work to fill up my empty gas tank (so I hit the polls first thing in the a.m. and then get to work on time) and then go the new H&M for a little shopping.

But noooooooooooo, I found myself huddled on my knees in my desk chair, after removing my belt and my tights, looking like some disheveled version of the woman who walked into work this morning wondering if the antibiotic and the "pee orange" pills would put me out of my misery.

They aren''t yet putting me out of my misery. Blech.

End TMI rant.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww Miracles, I totally get where you are coming from. I get them often myself.

I''ve found that even after the fact cranberry juice and lots of it, helps take the pain away faster.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Miracles....I used to have them frequently .
7.gif

They are a pain....Uristat (the OTC "pee orange" pills can only do so much...but hey, it's somethin....and boy do they stain anything they come in contact with....)

The antibiotics kick in sloooooooowly. It seriously feels like an eternity...all the while you just want to curl up and die....they are the worst, seriously!

Sorry you're experiencing one
7.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
You poor bugger, I have had a mild UTI once and that was painful enough.

I have heard Ureze helps but haven''t used it, also lots of water is meant to help as well.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry Miracles! UTI''s suck! I get them often. Now I take antibiotics preventatively. Don''t want to risk TMI. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.
Maybe see a urologist. Feel better soon!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry Janice, I hate those nasty things too. They certainly are painful. I hope you feel better soon. I drink cranberry juice and take those orange pee pills too. Yes they stain your underwear too, so watch out.

Linda

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, man, I know it''s terrible. I SWEAR by AZO, and it doesn''t just turn your urine yellow, it turns it orange. I remember the first time I used it, and didn''t read the information packet- I just about peed myself again, because I was so freaked out.

Knock on wood, but I haven''t had a UTI for five years- oddly enough they stopped about the same time I stopped dating my last boyfriend. Hmmm, bad for me relationship-wise as well as crotch-of-fire. Why was I with him for those few years??

Feel better soon!! All I can say is: flush it out. Liquids liquids liquids. As much as it sucks having to go to the bathroom. At least you caught it soon, right?

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 10:51:58 PM
Author: iluvcarats
I am sorry Miracles! UTI''s suck! I get them often. Now I take antibiotics preventatively. Don''t want to risk TMI. Let me know if you want me to elaborate.
Iluvcarats -- Did your urologist prescribe antibiotics to take after sex? Mine did. If yours did, do you mind me asking which one he/she prescribed?

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add my two cents--I used to get them SOOO often too...the pill that works better than anything else I''ve tried for the pain is called cystex, and it actually doesn''t turn my pee weird colors...

I am SO sorry you''re going through this, miracles...I know how absolutely horrible it is...

sending well wishes your way!!!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
UTI''s are no fun...

if you have recurrent problems you need to see someone and have your urine sent for lab testing (esp culture and sensitivity) not just the dipstick in the office...you need to make sure you get the right antibiotic...also symptoms of a uti can mask or be misleading and people need to also be checked to make sure they don''t have a vaginal infection (need diff antibiotic)...if that is the case...need to treat to prevent reinfection

It is true that you can get one after sex...however this is more common after fist intercourse...I don''t think it is common practice to prescribe meds for use after sex...maybe a just in case Rx...

Pryidium the prescription ''orange pee pill'' is much stronger than the OTC stuff...you onlt take it for 2 days or so

Oddly enough men with UTI''s are much harder to treat...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miracles, I am so sorry. I get them too
39.gif
In fact my doctor didn't want to give me an extra prescription; I sort of understand his thinking on antibiotics (and taking too many which later don't kill bacteria, etc), but sure enough I ended up getting another one. So then I went to a female doctor and she gave me some cups for lab testing and antibiotics so I don't have to endure the pain next time and I don't kill the bacteria before testing. (sorry TMI) but hopefully you can ask your doctor for something similar. I was out of town when one struck too and I found Azo Standard pills for uti if your doctor won't give you antibiotics. hugs. eta: sorry, I didn't realize you had the orange pee pills. hope you feel better soon!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 3:53:31 PM
Author: alli_esq
I just wanted to add my two cents--I used to get them SOOO often too...the pill that works better than anything else I''ve tried for the pain is called cystex, and it actually doesn''t turn my pee weird colors...

I am SO sorry you''re going through this, miracles...I know how absolutely horrible it is...

sending well wishes your way!!!
I was going to recommend Cystex.

Your urine stays the normal shade...and its more of a pill you take regularly that treats and soothes.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Miracles I''m so sorry. I had a case of severe UTI back in I think 2003 and went to the emergency room over it because I couldn''t deal with the pain anymore (also failed the midterm that I walked out on because of the pain).

Are you feeling any better?

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 4:00:14 PM
Author: diane5006
UTI''s are no fun...

if you have recurrent problems you need to see someone and have your urine sent for lab testing (esp culture and sensitivity) not just the dipstick in the office...you need to make sure you get the right antibiotic...also symptoms of a uti can mask or be misleading and people need to also be checked to make sure they don''t have a vaginal infection (need diff antibiotic)...if that is the case...need to treat to prevent reinfection

It is true that you can get one after sex...however this is more common after fist intercourse...I don''t think it is common practice to prescribe meds for use after sex...maybe a just in case Rx...

Pryidium the prescription ''orange pee pill'' is much stronger than the OTC stuff...you onlt take it for 2 days or so

Oddly enough men with UTI''s are much harder to treat...
My urologist did prescribe a low dosage antibiotics with instructions to take 1 pill after intercourse and I''m married. I''ve had recurrent UTI''s since my teenage years and the scrip has really helped me keep them at bay.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2008 3:43:51 PM
Author: InLuv101

Iluvcarats -- Did your urologist prescribe antibiotics to take after sex? Mine did. If yours did, do you mind me asking which one he/she prescribed?
Hi InLuv101,
Yes, my urologist (who is actually my husband) prescribed Macrobid. It definitely works.

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 12:11:21 AM

Hi InLuv101,
Yes, my urologist (who is actually my husband) prescribed Macrobid. It definitely works.
Well isn''t that just so handy that your urologist is your husband! I''m taking Macrobid also and was just curious if your antibiotic was the same or a different one. I heard some scary stuff regarding lung issues with continued use of Macrobid so I was curious about other options. Thanks for replying though!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 9:50:33 AM

Hi InLuv101,

Well isn''t that just so handy that your urologist is your husband! I''m taking Macrobid also and was just curious if your antibiotic was the same or a different one. I heard some scary stuff regarding lung issues with continued use of Macrobid so I was curious about other options. Thanks for replying though!

He is never home, and we have 2 kids. Let''s just say I don''t take it all that often....
Maybe when he retires and the kids are in college I''ll pay more attention to the side effects!
9.gif

(I will ask him about the lung studies and get back to you)

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 10:54:14 AM

Hi InLuv101,

He is never home, and we have 2 kids. Let''s just say I don''t take it all that often....
Maybe when he retires and the kids are in college I''ll pay more attention to the side effects!
9.gif

Lol, too funny. I appreciate you asking him, how nice of you! Thanks so much.
1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Miracles - CRANBERRY JUICE CRANBERRY JUICE

I suffer rather regularly from them too. I would get some antibiotics personally, help end the pain quicker. But Cranberry Juice works wonders with it too. The juice has agents that help rid your urinary tract of toxins and bad things.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
How do you get UTI''s, and what are the symptoms?
33.gif
I''ve never had one....never heard any of my friends talk about them either. I do get yeast infections a LOT...almost once a month, or every two months (very annoying!!!). Are UTI''s very different?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Sha - UTI is Urinary Tract Infection. They are rather painful, sharp pain when "going" and even after. Symptoms include pain, burning and at the worst stages blood when you "go" sorry trying not to TMI. Some women get them more frequently than others. Doctors recommend (though it hasn''t been proven in concrete that this is the answer ) drinking cranberry juice or taking a cranberry supplement to help prevent them. Cranberries wash the urinary tract of bacteria and flush out toxins. I personally have taken to drinking diet ocean spray regularly. It''s low in carbs and cals but has the good bacteria that helps flush bad things out :) I hope miracles feels better soon.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry! I get them about once a year and they are awful. Be happy for one thing though: last year, I had one and didn't have any symptoms until the infection reached my kidneys and I had to be hospitalized! Seriously- how can you have a UTI and not know it!? *sigh* that's my luck....

I've had good luck drinking lots of water before sex and then peeing RIGHT after. Flush that all out!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I think I had my first when I was about 10. Took sulfa, got a rash. Was ok for years, then had a couple when I had my first boyfriend. Got many more (including a couple that had me peeing frank blood) when I got together with my DH. Now I take a tablet of norfloxacin after intercourse (cause getting up and peeing, drinking tons of cranberry juice etc didn''t work for me). No problems since. But if I did''t take the antibiotics, I''d get at least 5-6 a year. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn''t have a cystoscopy to look for something abnormal anatomy-wise...
Hope you feel better soon. I drink lots, try to hold it as long as possible, and usually the antibiotics kick in in 1-2 doses.
Kate

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks dragonfly! It does sound painful. Get better soon, Miracles!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ouch! Sounds terrible. I hope you are feeling better. I''ve never had one, but, my sis gets them frequently. She is miserable when she has one. Did you try Advil to at least take the edge off? Not sure if it would help.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 11:36:16 AM

Hi InLuv101,

9.gif

1.gif

Hi Inluv!
I asked about the lung studies, and although he has heard of possible side effects, he has never come across the one you are describing. He prescribes it often and has people who have taken it twice a day for years. Like every medicine, there are side effects. People have died from Tylenol, Advil, and asprin. But it is a rare occurance. I am not saying that it couldn''t happen, but chances are it won''t. If you feel uncomfortable taking it, maybe discuss further options with your Dr. Hope that helps.

My first UTI was so horrific. It spread to my kidneys and I got very sick. Miracles is right - if men got them as often as we do I have a feeling that the world might just be a little less populated!

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2008 8:14:59 PM

Date: 11/5/2008 11:36:16 AM

Hi InLuv101,

9.gif

1.gif

Hi Inluv!
I asked about the lung studies, and although he has heard of possible side effects, he has never come across the one you are describing. He prescribes it often and has people who have taken it twice a day for years. Like every medicine, there are side effects. People have died from Tylenol, Advil, and asprin. But it is a rare occurance. I am not saying that it couldn''t happen, but chances are it won''t. If you feel uncomfortable taking it, maybe discuss further options with your Dr. Hope that helps.

My first UTI was so horrific. It spread to my kidneys and I got very sick. Miracles is right - if men got them as often as we do I have a feeling that the world might just be a little less populated!
Thanks so much for the info Iluvcarats! I so appreciate you taking the time to ask your DH. I read about the lung thing online and I am newly married (4 mos) so I''m taking them pretty regularly.
9.gif
Good to know that there is nothing to fret over.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
miracles - you might have jinxed me hon....
32.gif

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
GIRLS PLEASE READ THIS!! I SWEAR I HAVE A SOLUTION!!

I feel your pain! I've had chronic UTIs since I was younger (grammar school) and NOT from sex (LETS HOPE NOT THEN! Although I must admit it happens now). Heres what I've learned and what I've dished out to all my girlfriends since I'm known as the queen of uti's in my group
19.gif

First off - dont rely too much on getting antibiotics every time you get one. Its hard to get apps at gynos for UTI's I've found because they're viewed as preventable from the patients side AS WELL AS too many antibiotics will slow down the effectiveness of the antibiotic as time progresses.

I use summer's eve wash every morning in the shower - I know its marketed for feminine "freshness" but Ive noticed a difference in UTI frequency between when I started using it about 3 years ago and prior to using it (also, soap is very very very bad if youre prone to UTIs, perfumed or not perfumed stay away from soaping that area with anything not formulated for that particular use) Summer's eve also makes wipes for use inbetween showering - I'm not saying summer's eve was what helped I'm sure the other habits I formed all got me to the point I'm at today.. such as...

If I feel any slight sign of a UTI - I drink lots of water until my next meal - a nearly empty stomach will help it pass through your system faster - and I take ONE uristat. The reason I say nearly empty stomach is because I get a little nauseous off the uristat if I havent eaten anything in the past 3 or so hours. Might just be me though. Also I only take one because I got used to taking two and it got harder to detect a slight uti.. it was all or nothing.

Finally - no one has mentioned it here yet and I'm fairly surprised. This product is what helped me go from chronic UTIs to nothing serious for the past 2 years. Cleartract google it, buy it, use it. I use the powder the most - it IS completely flavorless and can be put in hot or cold drinks.. I throw it right in my water. If I had the money I'd buy this company and market the product in every walgreens but alas, I am broke =(
3.gif

Cleartrack 1

cleartrack on Amazon

cleartrack at webvitamins

etc etc.. google it and you'll find more than a couple places to buy it cheap. I've been using it for about 3 years, my gyno cleared me to use it, and I love it. It'll start working in about a half hour you can take it as frequently as a couple times a day with a drink when you have a bad UTI youre fighting. I slowly got less and less frequent UTIs and now I barely get them at all. I hope this helps many of you! Believe me, I've had the worst track record with UTIs and I've been going strong since I found it
2.gif
GOOD LUCK!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
So does Clear Tract actually rid the bacteria from your body or just relieve your symptoms? B/c just relieving symptoms don''t rid the infection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results