I am not too old to learn

Share about family life. From before birth and beyond.

• 298 posts • Page 5 of 101, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: I am not too old to learn

Post by hay joe » August 6th, 2011, 2:21 am
Things are going well, very well most of the time. They are really good kids that need a little extra help.I can't get enough of the baby, she is so happy.The two year old is getting use to us and calls my wife mom. The five year old boy acts out some of the things that were done to him. We are working on that, some things are going to take a while to deal with.
Grandma give us a list to "look out for". Schizophrenia, ADHD, bipolar and slow learning are a few things on that list. We know we have some catching up to do and we are working on that everyday. I guess family history is good to know but my gosh we are not going to start off with a "look out for" list against us.
We have a kids birthday party to go to today. It should be a ton of fun.

PS. We haven't heard from the girls lately, I hope everything is ok.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us. Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.

Post by lliang_chi » August 6th, 2011, 1:27 pm
Joe, good to hear things are still going well. It sounds like the kids are adjusting well. I'm grateful they have positive people like you and your wife to help give them some stability and love. They have a lot to overcome, but with help, I'm hopeful. THe "look out" list sounds daunting, but you and your wife have so much strength. I'll be thinking about you, this group of siblings, and also the first set of sisters you watched over.

Post by hay joe » August 19th, 2011, 4:28 pm
We still hadn't heard from the girls so I used the grapevine. They are tan from hanging out by the pool all summer and are getting ready to start school. Mom and the girls are doing good and that makes me happy!
Things around here are going well. Please keep in mind that these kids have been treated poorly, had everything taken away from them and are forced to live with strangers. So "well" at my house is probably different than at yours. The 5yo has started wetting the bed and has to be carefully watched when he is around his sisters. The 2yo's speech has improved, we use to need her brother to translate for us. Both of them are getting better at using spoons, forks and manners. The baby is the happest person I know. I wish I could post a picture of her, smiling of course. I also wish I could keep her out of the houseplants. The kids will be evaluated for motor skills, comperhension, retention and language skills next week. (I think our to do list is going to get longer) We know we are behind but thats ok we'll just have to try harder.
Their "mom" had "timing issues" and missed her weekly visit this week. We still haven't heard a word about "dad" maybe thats good for all I know.
They have came to understand that we all live at the same house and will even call it home from time to time. I don't know how this will turn out, but as long as it turns out best for the kids I'm ok with that.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us. Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.

Post by VRBeauty » August 20th, 2011, 11:59 am
Hugs to you all, Joe.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well with the girls!

"If money can fix it, it's not a problem."  ~ Tom Magliozzi of "Car Talk"

Post by hay joe » September 2nd, 2011, 2:59 pm
The kids were evaluated yesterday and we will get a full report with recommendations next week. They did say that the 5 1/2yo was at a 3 1/2yo level, the 2 1/2yo was at a 2 1/2yo level, and the 19mo was about 6 months behind. That was not a suprises to us.
"mom" missed another visit and if she misses one more things will change for her visiting the kids. We call her most everyday so she can talk (on speaker phone) to her kids (the same time give or take 15 minutes) and she answers the phone about 1/2 the time. The 5yo will talk about her twice a week or so now. The 2yo caught me off gaurd the other day. She was crying after dinner and when I asked her why she said she missed "mom". I asked her if she meant my wife(not in those words) and she said "yes, Mom!"
We are going to take them out on the boat this weekend. My son, his wife and and most of our friends will meet up at the same place and have a great time. They have never been on a boat, I hope they like it.

I only wanted one child after my son was born. I was afraid that I would be unable to love another child like I love him. I am starting to think I could have... Another lesson learned.

Post by lliang_chi » September 2nd, 2011, 10:13 pm
Joe, I really hope the kids enjoy the boat ride. What a treat for them! Thanks for posting. It's always great to hear how everything's going. I hope you and your wife continue to help provide these children with some happiness and stability.

Post by laine » September 3rd, 2011, 6:54 am
Ditto lliang_chi. Joe, you're doing a wonderful thing for these kids and I love reading your updates!

Post by hay joe » September 23rd, 2011, 2:39 pm
We got an email from one of the girls yesterday. She, the oldest one, wrote that she misses us very much which makes me concerned about how well she is doing. I am going to use the grapevine and do a little checking on her current situation.
We received the evaluation results on all 3 kids. What a waste of time and money. They didn't tell us anything that we couldn't have have told them in a 15 minute phone call. They wanted to schedule more appointments after they had already wasted 20+ hours on the worthless report. They told us the kids need their services as soon as possible and they could get us appointments at the end of november. What a joke. We're going to take a different route to get them the help they need, we hope. The boy and the baby have crossed eyes and we finally got to see a optometrist to get a recommendation to see a ophthalmologist. A least we got the boy glasses now. Things move so slow!
"mom" missed another visit so no visits are scheduled at this time. She hasn't answered her phone in almost 3 weeks now. We hope she can get the help she needs, she really needs help. Most of her problems are not self induced. The 5yo has only asked about her once in the last three weeks. The 2yo doesn't ask or talk about her at all.

O... I almost forgot to let you know that I got to do another "first day of school"! Again, not one person in their family even asked what day school started. Again, what a shame.

Post by VRBeauty » September 24th, 2011, 11:55 am
Thank you for the update, Joe. Virtual (((((hugs))))) to you all.

Post by nfowife » September 25th, 2011, 8:51 pm
It makes me so sad to see how people can treat their own children and family members (grandchildren, nieces, etc.) so poorly. Did the maternal instinct just not kick in for these people? Or are they just sick? Or selfish? It just is so disheartening....
But Joe, you and your wife are doing such a wonderful thing stepping up and taking care of these children who desperately need a loving influence. Any time and love you give, for however short a time, will not be forgotten. It does make a difference.
You are a wonderful person and they are lucky to have you. I know you feel you are lucky to have them. What a blessing, both ways.
Thanks for sharing.... I am going to go give each of my peacefully sleeping children an extra kiss tonight :)

Post by honey22 » September 25th, 2011, 11:01 pm
Joe, I have just read this entire thread and I am bawling like a baby. You truly are an inspiration. Words just can't sum up what amazing people you and your wife are for taking these kids in and giving them the world.

It's times like these, I really believe that angels are on this earth.

Post by hay joe » October 2nd, 2011, 10:03 pm
We still don't know how the girls are doing, I guess I'll have to squeeze another grape or two to get some information.
We had a monthly visit from HHS the other day. The caseworker was "overloaded" so she sent a newly hired person to do the visit.(the caseworker hasn't returned any of my phone calls in at least a month) Durning the visit we were asked if we were interested in adopting the kids. "mom" is running out of time to make the substantial improvements needed to get her children back. When children are this young they are "normally" given 6 months to make needed changes before reunification services are stopped. Most people that are looking to adopt are looking for one young child, not three at one time. We don't want to see them split up. But if I'm doing my math right I would be a 70 year old man with a teenage daughter. Can a teenager relate to a 70 year old man? Can a 70 year old man be a good Dad to a teenage girl? I wonder if I can stay healthy enough to work until they are out of college. Well, we will have to deal with that if or when it comes up.
The kids are having a tough time lately. Wet pants, wet floors, drinks spilt, food on the walls, hitting, biting, choking,ect. If you're a foster child, how you find out if you are loved is you test and test and test....

I use to think becoming a foster parent was a lot like standing next to a lake and before I knew it I was in neck deep. Now I'm starting to wonder if I was standing next to the ocean.

Post by PetitePoire » October 3rd, 2011, 4:44 am
You're family continues to amaze me. I don't think I've ever posted on this thread, but I read it when I see any new updates. I hope the girls are doing well with their mom. It makes me smile that they can at least contact you via email. It really warms my heart and I have no doubt they know how much you care for them. I can imagine you and your wife will remain in their hearts forever.

Best of luck with the new ones. Unfortunately I don't have any advice for their future. You and your wife seem extremely generous and strong and I wish you only the best. I'll continue to pray for you all.

Thank you for your continuous updates.

Post by hay joe » October 4th, 2011, 10:19 pm
I got a call from the grapevine today, the girls are doing good in school and they are happy. Their case has been "successfully closed".
To all of you for your kind thoughts and words
Just two words
Thank you

Post by somethingshiny » October 5th, 2011, 9:42 am
As to your question, "Can a teenaged daughter relate to her 70 yr old father?" The answer is completely and irrefutably, YES! A teenage daughter can relate to the man who has given so much of himself to provide her with a caring and loving home. A teenage daughter can relate to the man who has made sure her family wasn't split up. A teenage daughter can relate to the man whom she has called "Dad" for all those years. YOU are the hero in these children's lives. YOU are the one they will all WANT to relate to because you embody goodness and strength.
*** 1 in 100 ***

Post by PositivelyPeanut » October 5th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Joe, you're an inspiration to us all. Both you and your wife. Thank you for all you do.

I'm hoping I can ask a question. My husband and I have thought about fostering many times. My only fear is that a child could cry wolf and say something horrible happened to them by our hands, whether out of confusion, retaliation, messed up loyalty to their birth parents, or for attention. I'm especially concerned about false sexual abuse claims. Is that anything you've been concerned about? I think about how devastating that could be and with an abused child's history, how would you disprove it?

Thanks again.

Post by VRBeauty » October 5th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Written by somethingshiny » October 5th, 2011, 9:42 am:As to your question, "Can a teenaged daughter relate to her 70 yr old father?" The answer is completely and irrefutably, YES! A teenage daughter can relate to the man who has given so much of himself to provide her with a caring and loving home. A teenage daughter can relate to the man who has made sure her family wasn't split up. A teenage daughter can relate to the man whom she has called "Dad" for all those years. YOU are the hero in these children's lives. YOU are the one they will all WANT to relate to because you embody goodness and strength.

I'm guessing SS is right, though I have absolutely no experience on which to base that. But... you have years between now and teenhood during which you'll be building a family, sharing experiences, and learning to communicate. I suspect a teenage girl would have no more trouble relating to you by the time that rolls around than she'd have relating to any man old enough to be her biological father. Those problems, if they occur, will be more a function of her age than of yours.

It sounds like you and your wife have a good support group outside of your immediate family. That support group (whether it's extended family, church, or other friends) will likely have some younger people who can serve as another sounding board for the kids when it gets to the point that they need one. I think it was Robert Bly who wrote about the important role "other adults" - whether aunts or uncles, or close friends - play in kids' lives as they grow up. They can be that non-judgemental sounding board or source of love during those times when it seems, to the child, that the parent's love is all conditional.

Post by hay joe » October 6th, 2011, 9:57 pm
nfo
Why? Alcohol, cocaine, heroin, methamphtamine, schizophrenia, and themselfs being abused are the "reasons" I have heard so far.

Posi
I think your concerns are real and they should be an important part of your decision to foster children. Fostering someone else's children can be very complex.

SS &VR
Thanks
Joe

Post by hay joe » October 8th, 2011, 12:53 am
VL
Most of every child's problems can be solved by just three things, Mom, love and home. Your children can have all of those things.
Please chime in again.
And VL, I'm sorry you were put through so much.
Joe

Post by vintagelover229 » October 8th, 2011, 8:13 am
Written by hay joe » October 8th, 2011, 12:53 am:VL
Most of every child's problems can be solved by just three things, Mom, love and home. Your children can have all of those things.
Please chime in again.
And VL, I'm sorry you were put through so much.
Joe

Joe: I don't regret anything I had to endure. A lot of kids had it a lot worse than I did-I at least knew my parents loved me but had issues of their own and couldn't be good parents. If I hadn't gone though what I did I wouldn't be who I am today. And I quite like who I am today ::) Everyone has their own journeys that they have to go though in life that shape them into who they were meant to be. The Lord protected me during those years and thankfully put me with a healthy and loving family, even though I didn't understand how blessed I was at the time because I was clouded by anger and hurt and I was just plain scared. I've since learned that not many foster kids get into healthy and good homes that come from the right place. A lot of horror stories can be found out there and they are more common than they system would like to admit. But when there is funds involved you are bound to attract a few creepers who can get though their programs and are in it for the wrong reasons.

Don't lose hope on the kids. Some day they'll look back and understand-I know I do. I don't share to get sympathy. I share so you can see the grown up version of what you have and hopefully shed some light and give you solid proof that your hope isn't in vain (like many people seem to think is the case with children like me and like you have).

You have a huge heart and these kids are very lucky to have you and your wife in their life. Continue to do what your doing and follow your heart. 70 year old adopted dad or not I have no doubt that these kids would be happy, proud and honored to call you their father-no matter what age you are.

Post by hay joe » October 10th, 2011, 9:13 pm
VL
The system has a lot of room for improvements to put it nicely and everyone has their own reasons for becoming a foster parent. We have met some people that are really good at it and we have kept away from others.
It's hard to know which is the best way to go about helping an abused child. Sometimes you have to wait and let them tell you if what your doing is helping. A day or two ago after doing dinner dishes I sat down to watch some tv. As I sat there, out of the corner of my eye I could see the 5yo watching me from the other side of the room. He slowly came over to the side of the chair paused for a minute then climbed over the side and into my lap. He rested his head on my shoulder for a minute then put his face in front of mine and said "Joe, your my best friend" then he laid his head back down. What he probably meant was thanks for not torturing me. Who knows? As bad as it sounds we're kind of just winging it. I'm a truck mechanic, what do I know about helping a little boy that has been tortured? Very very little. We try, some days are good and some days are not so good. I'm learning, slowly, but I'm learning.
Thanks for sharing so much with us.
Joe

Post by diamondseeker2006 » October 11th, 2011, 11:11 am
vintagelover, your heartwrenching story certainly brought tears to my eyes! But what a great testimony of the transforming power of God!
When in doubt....don't.

Post by TooPatient » October 13th, 2011, 1:39 pm
Written by hay joe » October 10th, 2011, 9:13 pm:VL
The system has a lot of room for improvements to put it nicely and everyone has their own reasons for becoming a foster parent. We have met some people that are really good at it and we have kept away from others.
It's hard to know which is the best way to go about helping an abused child. Sometimes you have to wait and let them tell you if what your doing is helping. A day or two ago after doing dinner dishes I sat down to watch some tv. As I sat there, out of the corner of my eye I could see the 5yo watching me from the other side of the room. He slowly came over to the side of the chair paused for a minute then climbed over the side and into my lap. He rested his head on my shoulder for a minute then put his face in front of mine and said "Joe, your my best friend" then he laid his head back down. What he probably meant was thanks for not torturing me. Who knows? As bad as it sounds we're kind of just winging it. I'm a truck mechanic, what do I know about helping a little boy that has been tortured? Very very little. We try, some days are good and some days are not so good. I'm learning, slowly, but I'm learning.
Thanks for sharing so much with us.
Joe

Joe,

I just read through your entire thread. You are a wonderful, caring man who works hard. You and your wife have opened your homes and your hearts to these children who have seen more than anyone ever should. It takes a really special person to do that.

I'm so glad to hear that your girls are happy and doing well. Will you be able to get updates even though their case is closed?

Now that I've seen your thread, I'll be watching for your updates. Thank you for all you do for those children and for sharing with us here.

Post by hay joe » October 19th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Too Patient
Yes we can use the grapevine to check up on the girls but we have to be respectful. I'm sure their mother would like to put that part of her life behind her. We may ask their mother if we could visit the girls before Chirstmas.

We are at the hundred day hump and the oldest two are really having a rough time. That's a long time to be away from their family. Their caseworker called and wants to visit with us next week. We may get some information on how well mom is. She really needs help.

Post by vintagelover229 » November 7th, 2011, 9:03 am
Written by hay:Too Patient
Yes we can use the grapevine to check up on the girls but we have to be respectful. I'm sure their mother would like to put that part of her life behind her. We may ask their mother if we could visit the girls before Chirstmas.

We are at the hundred day hump and the oldest two are really having a rough time. That's a long time to be away from their family. Their caseworker called and wants to visit with us next week. We may get some information on how well mom is. She really needs help.

I hope things are continuing as well as can be expected with your family and the kids. I just wanted to let you know that my SO and I recently found a church to attend and we love the pastor and his family. My SO and I are an international couple and it turns out one of their kids is in the middle of dealing with immigration although they aren't able to be together due to laws/etc. but they also foster many different kids. (They also have I think 4 of their own). They have a 17 yr old boy that has lived with them for years and years and they just got a 5 year old girl (she is so beautiful) and last week a girl of 10 who had been with her adopted family for 5 years decided to unadopt her and give her back to the system ;( They of course kept their 2 bio kids so this girl was displaced after living with her family for 5 years. I saw her at church on Sunday (she is with the pastor and his family) and I saw myself in this little girl. My heart just broke for her. I went over after the service and talked to her and found out she reads a lot and loves horses. Just like I did at her age-I'm going to keep working with her and talking with her but I can tell she's very distant and reserved (and with every right to be-shame on her adopted parents-I would love to give them some choice words but alas I can't). Her birthday is this week and so I'm going to buy some Magic tree house books (I read those when I was her age too) and some horse books and a journal for her. I'm hoping that we can become friends and I can help her adjust from this tragedy and she can feel welcome and herself in this new family. They have agreed to let her stay as long as she wants (they are a long term home) and I can only pray that my experiences in life can help heal this beautiful young girl.

Thank you so much Joe for all that you do. I'll keep you posted with my progress with this family and will keep checking in for yours as well.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving-it's just in a few short weeks!

Post by hay joe » November 9th, 2011, 6:07 pm
I have emailed the girls a few times in the last three weeks and haven't received an email back. I'll try it again before using the grapevine.

The visit that the kid's caseworker had set up never happened. She was too overloaded. The caseworker set up a visit with "mom" and had the kids picked up at school without even a phone call to us. With that information we could have prepared the kids and the school. In the last three months the caseworker has spoken with us one time and that was to set up a meeting she couldn't find the time to attend. I called her supervisor yesterday and I will call that persons department manager tomorrow if I don't have the time to go to their office. The lack of communication is going to stop.

We had a couple more evaulations done. The five year old has tested at the "intellectually impaired" level and will need to be retested in 6 months. They want to give him a chance to improve in a different living environment. He is doing better, he can zip up his jacket and pants, operate a seat belt and feed himself with utinsels most of time without help now. The baby's tests were almost at age level now and they assume she well be fine as long as she kept in a stable environment. The two year old is loving preschool and is doing well.

VL
I couldn't imagine how it felt to be returned. Shame on them. You have the insight to really help and I'm sure you will. Enjoy your new church and thanksgiving. Take good care of yourself.
Joe

Post by hay joe » November 14th, 2011, 11:58 pm
I got an email from the girls. It said that they were doing good in school.

After finding the kid's casworker's office closed on friday I called and left messages again today. The last message said not to worry about calling me back I was going to call licensing to let them know why I quit. (idle threat, but it worked) My phone was ringing before I could make another call. (It gets old having to shove people to get them to do their job) We will have a meeting "soon" to get the information we need to make a decision on adoption or other options and to get some in home educational services for the five year old boy. I would hope they could teach us some different methods of helping him to learn more daily tasks. Mom is still having problems keeping a working phone number, it's been months now. Grandma's phone hasn't worked in a week. It doesn't look very good for them to get the kids back. I asked if my age would be a concern to the "system" and was told it wouldn't be a factor. If I was 10 or 20 years younger I would be a lot less concerned about not being there when I was needed.
My son came over this weekend and stayed for an hour or two. We had a birthday party for his grandmother. He had to leave early to go to work. He started working a second job for traveling money. He and his wife will be in Spain (I think)for Thanksgiving, Egypt for Christmas and the Cayman Islands in february.(I don't even have a passport)

Everyday around here starts early and ends late for my wife and I. There's always something to do and always something left to be done.

Post by VRBeauty » November 15th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Joe: For some reason I'm really glad to hear that the girls are contacting you on their own, and of course that they're doing well. :appl:

Good luck with getting decisions made about the new children. I'm sure it will help them when their placement is more secure. Meanwhile, hugs to you and your wife for all that you're doing to give these children love and support despite the uncertainties.

Post by hay joe » November 30th, 2011, 3:34 pm
We (and 30 or so family and friends) went to the sand dunes for thanksgiving as we have done for many years. The kids had fun. They know most of your family and friends now and are treated like (really better than) family. As I strapped car seats into the dune buggy my wife kept saying "Are you sure about this? I don't know if this is a good idea". We went slow, stopped often and didn't go into any large dunes. Other than one case of motion sickness it turned out fine. The kids had never been camping, to the desert, roasted marshmallows or even had a turkey dinner for thanksgiving. It was a good trip.

The soon to be 3yo is really having a tough time living with us. She is resisting this change in her life anyway she can. At times it seems she can vomit at will. She will be playing in the front room and be called to eat, come over to the table, say "I don't want that", vomit, get cleaned up, got back to playing and 30 minutes later request something different to eat. She will leave the bathroom and wet her pants (into her shoes) 10 steps away. I'm told some small children will use their bodily functions to exhibit some control over their lives. I think a child would have to be very unhappy to soil their pants, put their hand in it and smear it on the bathroom walls. We don't know what to do to help her. We call and ask (plead/beg) for help and don't even get a phone call returned or get told a line of crap about how they are going to get the kids some help. We do our best but that's not enough. I hope they/we will get some help soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

A parental rights hearing is set for the first part of January. We still don't know what the options are and I will not make a quick or last minute decision on 3 children and our lives.

Post by hay joe » December 2nd, 2011, 4:51 pm
As my wife brushed the soon to be 3yo's hair this morning she wet her pants, socks and the floor again. She was standind 4 feet away from the toilet. We are almost at the point of putting her back into pull ups. What a giant step backwards.
I called placement today to inform them this placement is not going well for her. They don't answer the phone so I left a message. Three or four days from now I will have to threaten to quit fostering to get them to call me back. They will give me a line of crap, I'll hope they are going to follow through this time and another month will pass. Nothing will get done and she will get worse.
As tears well up in my wife's eyes, she tells me "we are not helping her, she is not getting better, I'm getting really tired". After nearly 5 months with the kids we are getting a sitter for the two oldest kids and are going out for dinner or Christmas shopping. The baby is comming with us unless we get another volunteer.

298 posts • Page 5 of 101, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,

« Return to Family, Home & Health