shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you keep up with high school friends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiousity.

I have an oh so dreaded Myspace account. I know, I know but to my defense I opened one up a few years ago when I found out that my then 15 and 16 year old brothers had them so I wanted to snoop and make sure they weren''t doing anything bad (you''d be amazed what you learn on myspace). I''m very overprotective of them, off topic, moving on
27.gif

So I logged on today and checked out some photos that one old high school classmate added of another old high school classmate''s wedding. Now, the reason why I''m "friends" with this girl is that she is coordinating our 10 year high school reunion so she added everyone she could find from high school and I figured, no harm.

What amazed me about these photos is that she was one of the girl''s bridesmaid. But I remember in high school when the bride used to desperately try to be part of the "popular" crowd (or in FL better known as the cheerleading squad) and they would treat her horribly. She, the bride, even told off a friend she had for years because these other girls told her to. Yes, very 90210. And now, 8 years later she had one of these girls that treated her so badly as a bridesmaid.

So then I snooped some more (I''m a lurker) and saw that all of these girls were all still friends and going to each other''s weddings and parties, etc.

I realized that I don''t keep in touch with any of my friends from high school at all. My school was very clique-y and I couldn''t get into it so my friends were few but they were great friends. And then we all went off to college (or other stuff) and stopped talking to each other entirely.

Kind of sad.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I keep in touch with my very close girlfriends, but that is it. There is a group of about 6 of us that remained in contact. We don''t talk or see each other often, just for the big stuff. Over thanksgiving and Christmas break we always meet up for a glass or wine or something.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I have a few close friends that I keep in touch with. Mainly because they are dh''s family! lol. (i didn''t go to school with dh) Anyhow, the not so close friends, I keep in touch with occasionally on myspace, and that''s about it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
At 28, my "best" friend and I are still best friends, and we have been since the second grade. She is the only friend from high school (grade school, really) with whom I am still very close. We stood up in each others'' weddings this summer, talk nearly every day, yadda yadda yadda.

Other than my bf, I am still friends with two guy friends from high school, close enough that both were invited to our wedding.

But that''s it!

Incidentally, I went to high school with my other "best" friend, but we didn''t know each other then. We became friends about seven years ago.

I know of a few "groups" of friends from HS that are still really tight, but I was never one to stick close to a group, anyway.

(And by the way, I signed up for Facebook to keep an eye on my sisters, so I hear ya! It''s the best tool for keeping an eye on the little ones.)

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Sabine and I were BFFs in hs (It''s been 10 years now! Holy cow!). I''m still good friends with one other girl I was good friends with in hs. I went to hs with a lot of my current friends, but we didn''t really become friends until college, so I guess they don''t count. I''m facebook/myspace friends with a lot of people from HS, but we don''t really talk more than an email every now and then.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
My best friend in the whole wide world went to the same highschool as me and we are still the bestest of friends and are now MARRIED!
9.gif

Hehe, DH and I met in high school and lets just say we are still in very close contact!
31.gif

Okay no, we weren''t "high school sweethearts" we met a couple of months before graduation, and our relationship really grew during college. But he counts, right?

Besides him, I have one friend that I still keep in touch with. We are BFF''s now but we were more like aqcuaintances during HS. She still lives in the same town we grew up in so I usually get all the latest news from her. It''s amazing how many of the "cliques" are still together though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend and I still talk 2+ times per week, but at times it''s challenging to relate as our lives have taken entirely different paths (we''ve known each other for 22 years!). I keep in touch with another friend, too, but we just email sometimes and are "friends" on Facebook. Most of the other gals I was friends with I no longer wish to be in touch with because they weren''t always very nice.

My dh talks to some of his friends from HS and since we went to the same school, I talk to those guys too.

April20

Ideal_Rock
There are two people from HS that I have consistantly kept up with since we graduated (''95). The rest are hit and miss- basically I run into the ones that still live in town when I go back to visit my family. I recently got a Facebook acct to keep up with my sisters and have had quite a few people from HS add me as a "friend". Even with that, it''s still not more than the occassional message back and forth.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Haha, as Robbie already posted, you could say she and I have kept in touch if you count the fact that she and my dh were roommates in college and we talk just about every day. But as much as I love hearing gossip about hs people, I loathe to actually have contact with all but maybe 2 of the other people I knew in hs, so no facebook for me. But Robbie keeps me pretty updated and sends anything interesting my way.

My dh is a bit different...he is still really close with his whole group of friends from hs (3 were in the wedding an another couple were in attendance). And although he has facebook, for guys, they do pretty well for keeping in touch by calling each other!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I will be the odd one out here. I am still incredibly close with my high school friends (for reference, we all turn the big 30 this year). I did not go to college with a single close high school friend, and I have not lived in my home town for over 5 years, but my best friends are still my friends from high school. There are about 10 of us that are in very close contact (i.e. email or talk almost daily) and get together anytime I visit and then another extended group that I will see every so often. Several of us have lived in various cities around the country, but we just never lost touch. 4 of them were bridesmaids in my wedding. We all make it a point to take at least one trip a year together, no husbands, boyfriends or kids just the girls. It will probably get harder to keep that up as we get older, but we are sure going to try.

It probably helps that I did not hate high school as so many seemed to do. I actually loved high school. I went to a great private school, my firiends and I were all involved in sports and various other activities and most of our families were friendly as well.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mia, would you believe there is a group of us that get together. We all have been friends, since 7th grade. We graduated high school in 1967...... 41 years ago. YIKES!!! HA!!!!

It has been fun growing up with each other AND aging. Ack!!!!! next year we all turn 60 and we plan to have one big party to celebrate all of our birthdays. We don''t like turning 60, but at least we all will do it together
9.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:30:30 PM
Author: Linda W
Mia, would you believe there is a group of us that get together. We all have been friends, since 7th grade. We graduated high school in 1967...... 41 years ago. YIKES!!! HA!!!!

It has been fun growing up with each other AND aging. Ack!!!!! next year we all turn 60 and we plan to have one big party to celebrate all of our birthdays. We don''t like turning 60, but at least we all will do it together
9.gif
Wow that is AMAZING!!!!! Seriously, how cool is that? I can only imagine all of the milestones you have shared in life together.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 10:30:30 PM
Author: Linda W

9.gif
I have to agree with Mia--that is just so cool.

My mom has two best friends from school, whom she met in first and third grade, respectively, and they still stay in touch now. They all live more than 1000 miles away from each other, but they talk fairly often, and they see each other once or twice a year. Lately they''ve been attending their children''s weddings together--both of my mom''s BFFs are coming to mine in June
1.gif
. They''ve been friends for more than 45 years.

As for me, I am still very close with two of my friends from high school. I''ve been friends with both since I was about 11. One of them will be in my wedding, and the other will be attending, along with two other friends from high school that I stay in touch with. I am from a small town, so whenever I go home I''m bound to run into someone, and between my mom and Facebook, I am always current on all the gossip. I''m "friends" with a bunch of high school acquaintances on Facebook, but we rarely--if ever--chat.

On a side note, how weird is the concept of the Facebook/Myspace friend that you''d never talk to in real life? I''ve been on Facebook for almost five years now, and it''s still very weird to me, and yet somehow, I can''t seem to refuse those friend requests from, for example, random girls I used to take ski lessons with in third grade who somehow managed to find me despite my un-spellable name.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really talk to anyone from high school, actually...except for my twin sister! I kept up with some of my friends for several years after high school but we really don''t have much in common (I''m from a very rural area and I now live in a city, I was the only one of them to go to college, a lot of them are married with several kids by now, etc.) so it just kind of tapered off naturally.

A few people from HS have asked to be friends on Facebook and MySpace and I usually accept because it seems mean not to and then delete them after I realize I really don''t care about their updates and bulletins...my 10 year reunion is coming up next year
23.gif
so I''ll see them all then! A lot of people from my HS did remain friends and stay in the area (why?!!) and they post pics of themselves in each other''s weddings, etc., so apparently I am the anomaly!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m about 8 years out of high school - I keep in touch with basically my old lunch table. I''m close with my BFF from 7th grade, her BFF (who is now actually a closer friend), and two other girls - but each of them has another close friend or two from HS that they keep up with too, so I''ll see several folks out for drinks around the holidays or if we decide to meet up in our hometown because someone is visiting parents. I''m FB friends with almost everyone in my old high school (small town) which I think is actually really nice, since my HS was very, very clique-y. It''s cool to see the kind of adults people have grown into, because I would have thought they would have all turned into complete jerks, and I''ve happily found out that I''m 90% wrong. I hated high school, so I''m sortof surprised by how many people I''m still in touch with.

DH is about the same as me - he also went to a small highschool and has one or two close friends he''s in touch with so when we visit his parents, there''s one couple we always make a point to see because they''re close to us, but if others are in town we''ll see them, too. My best bud from church camp when we were kids/college when we were older went to DH''s high school, so between knowing people through him and DH combined, sometimes think that I''ll have more fun at DH''s reunion than my own!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:18:32 PM
Author: kittybean

On a side note, how weird is the concept of the Facebook/Myspace friend that you''d never talk to in real life? I''ve been on Facebook for almost five years now, and it''s still very weird to me, and yet somehow, I can''t seem to refuse those friend requests from, for example, random girls I used to take ski lessons with in third grade who somehow managed to find me despite my un-spellable name.
I know, that''s exactly why I don''t have a Facebook page. I''m probably the only one my age that doesn''t. But all my friends do and they are always telling me how they get random friends requests from people they don''t talk to and feel obligated to accept. It''s just too weird to me.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve had the same couple of girlfriends since i was 8 years old, the group got added onto in HS, and has remained intact throughout all of college, grad school, etc. there''s 10 of us girls, and we get a cabin every year some time around christmas and have a no husbands/boyfriends weekend. it''s neat because we''ve pretty much all moved away from the hometown, some of us all the way across the country, but the girls cabin christmas is sacred. there are a few people from hs, however, who i avoid like the bubonic plague.
9.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I am so close to my girlfriends. There are 5 of us and we have all been friends since elementary school. We were friends throughout highschool and then all went to the same college at one point (several ended up transferring from other schools) and 4 of us ended up living in an apartment. Now we are all spread out in different states, all married, but we still talk all the time and always plan get togethers when we are back in town.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 7:08:31 PM
Author: robbie3982
Sabine and I were BFFs in hs (It''s been 10 years now! Holy cow!). I''m still good friends with one other girl I was good friends with in hs. I went to hs with a lot of my current friends, but we didn''t really become friends until college, so I guess they don''t count. I''m facebook/myspace friends with a lot of people from HS, but we don''t really talk more than an email every now and then.
That''s very sweet
face23.gif

I hung out mostly with my cousin that went to school with me. I did have one BFF but she and I sort of split paths and never catched up. We do write to each other and send each other gifts but I haven''t "seen" her in probably 8 years.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 11:26:50 PM
Author: mia1181

I know, that''s exactly why I don''t have a Facebook page. I''m probably the only one my age that doesn''t. But all my friends do and they are always telling me how they get random friends requests from people they don''t talk to and feel obligated to accept. It''s just too weird to me.
FB is weird to me to and I only use it to keep in touch with a few friends & family members who I share photos with.

Dh got a friend request from a girl from HS. Keep in mind, he only has *6* friends on his FB page, so it''s not like he''s aquiring people left and right or even active on FB, but yet she sought him out and messaged him and wanted to be his friend. I just thought that was weird since him and that girl hadn''t talked in over 15 years! Right after then, DH changed his status to "married," and put a link to me
2.gif

I sent a friend request to my SIL so she could see photos of my boys and she did NOT accept the request!!! I take it she doesn''t like me? Should I glare at her during her holiday visit?
6.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Great thread! I like reading everybody's responses.

I have a group of about 4 girlfriends that keep in touch through blogs. We update whenever we feel like it and it's kind of fun ... the other girls read and respond to things that are going on in your life. It's basically the same idea as sending out mass emails to each other. They'll all be invited to my wedding.

The girls I'm friends with are still friends with some of the guys from hs, but I haven't seen the boys in a while. Mostly because I dated one for a while in college so now we just have no desire to see each other. So I just hang out with the girls when I'm home for Christmas.

I'm also friends with a girl I've known since junior high. She was part of an amazing group of like 13 girls who were really great. Sometimes I wish I hadn't gone to a different high school from them so I could've stayed part of the group. I've run into a few of them over the years when I'm home for Christmas and it feels like old times again, but I've really only kept in touch with the one girl I was closest too. We figured out that we were in the same dance class in 4th or 5th grade, so we've known each other for a very long time!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
My best best best friends are all friends that I had in middle school or high school. We went to different universities, but always kept in touch and grew closer and closer the older we got. I haven''t seen any of them since April since I''m now living out of the country, but I miss them as much (or sometimes more) than my family because I''ve known them so long that they feel like family. We''ve all grown up together.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I was closer to more people from my high school...most of us moved away and never came back, but I just came back to the area and have found quite a few people I went to HS with via facebook, some of whom are still here. I don''t know if we''ll ever be "close'' again (people are at different places in their lives compared to mine--kids, etc.) but it is nice to have re-connected in some small way.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 12:35:09 PM
Author: MC

Date: 11/17/2008 11:26:50 PM

FB is weird to me to and I only use it to keep in touch with a few friends & family members who I share photos with.

Dh got a friend request from a girl from HS. Keep in mind, he only has *6* friends on his FB page, so it''s not like he''s aquiring people left and right or even active on FB, but yet she sought him out and messaged him and wanted to be his friend. I just thought that was weird since him and that girl hadn''t talked in over 15 years! Right after then, DH changed his status to ''married,'' and put a link to me
2.gif

I sent a friend request to my SIL so she could see photos of my boys and she did NOT accept the request!!! I take it she doesn''t like me? Should I glare at her during her holiday visit?
6.gif
OMG!!!!! That is weird! Maybe she didn''t know it was you. Do you actually get a rejection message?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 4:38:36 PM

Dh got a friend request from a girl from HS. Keep in mind, he only has *6* friends on his FB page, so it''s not like he''s aquiring people left and right or even active on FB, but yet she sought him out and messaged him and wanted to be his friend. I just thought that was weird since him and that girl hadn''t talked in over 15 years! Right after then, DH changed his status to ''married,'' and put a link to me
2.gif

6.gif
OMG!!!!! That is weird! Maybe she didn''t know it was you. Do you actually get a rejection message?
Is there such a thing as a rejection message? lol She just never "accepted" me as a friend by ignoring the request, so I guess I took the hint on that one.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i eat lunch with friends (Mon-Fri) whom i''ve known for 38 yrs.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 9:40:06 PM

2.gif

6.gif
Is there such a thing as a rejection message? lol She just never ''accepted'' me as a friend by ignoring the request, so I guess I took the hint on that one.
2.gif
He he! I didn''t know, I don''t have a facebook. Wow maybe she doesn''t check hers that often? Yes I think a little glaring is in order on the holidays!
27.gif
That is too wierd!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I only keep up with a few of my friends from highschool and not like BFF keep up or anything. I moved away and many people from highschool remained there and I still know they all hang out and stuff which makes me kinda sad. I am going to make more of an effort to keep up with ppl from highschool!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 9:40:06 PM

2.gif

6.gif

Is there such a thing as a rejection message? lol She just never ''accepted'' me as a friend by ignoring the request, so I guess I took the hint on that one.
2.gif

She might have just not seen it. If you don''t have notifications turned on, you''d never know you even had a friend request unless you logged in and specifically checked to see if you did.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 8:13:26 PM
Author: Sabine
Haha, as Robbie already posted, you could say she and I have kept in touch if you count the fact that she and my dh were roommates in college and we talk just about every day. But as much as I love hearing gossip about hs people, I loathe to actually have contact with all but maybe 2 of the other people I knew in hs, so no facebook for me. But Robbie keeps me pretty updated and sends anything interesting my way.

My dh is a bit different...he is still really close with his whole group of friends from hs (3 were in the wedding an another couple were in attendance). And although he has facebook, for guys, they do pretty well for keeping in touch by calling each other!
FI''s only friends are those that he knew in High School and a few guys he''s met through them over the years. The shortest relationship he has had with them is probably about 8 years. The rest he has known 13 years and one guy in particular since kindergarten!

On a side note, you can already imagine the headaches I would get if I ever tried to suggest moving from this city
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results