shape
carat
color
clarity

How d''''ya make Martha''''s Bubble Cake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beefcake

Rough_Rock
I''''ll tell you something...I''''ve had that magazine cutout for 7 years, and I WILL find out how to make this thing...it''''s BEAUTIFUL! Does anyone know the recipe or have any tips...the fondant is a no-brainer for me, but the sugar-bubble thing is giving me trouble. I''''ve had several people tellme to quit trying, to give up and that I''''m stupid to get my heart set on a cake from a magazine...BITE ME!...They are probably the most complacent, boring people on the planet, and I refuse to give up or let thm bring me down! Someone out there must know how to do this technique! I''''m more than wlling to pay to learn, but from who?

HELP!! Aaaargh!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry Beefy, I can''t help you with the cake, any others yes as I love to bake, but I just wanted to say welcome
35.gif
Maybe Matatora might know how to make this, she loves to bake too, so lets see if any PSers can dig the recipe up for you. Hope you stick around and have fun, this is a great site with great folk and a TON of useful info at your disposal, however none yet on Martha''s Bubble Cake, but you never know!
16.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beefy did you check out Martha''s website? She has tons of information and recipes on there, and I think even a Q&A section so maybe you can ask your Question and she can answer (we hope anyway!)....if you do find out let us know!! It sounds really intriguing.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if the MS technique is the same as this, but it sounds like it just needs a lot of practice to get the hang of:

Blown sugar bubbles

3 lbs. granulated cane sugar
1 lb. water

Bring to a boil and add 8 drops tartaric acid. Boil until it reaches
314F. Pour onto a marble slab or a large silpat sheet. When cool
enough to handle, pull off balls marble to golf ball size, depending
on the size of the bubble you want. Attach to the end of a wooden
straw and blow. Twist the bubble and melt the end shut with a spirit
burner and cut away with scissors.

I don''t know where you''d get wooden straws from, recipes never tell you vital stuff like that. It also doesn''t say how long the bubbles last, but I suppose that''s part of learning to do it in the first place. If you''re determined this is what you want, you don''t start it the week before the wedding.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
beefcake - as you know, this was my wedding cake. i told you in my pm that none of the bakers would do the bubbles for the bottom, and i ended up using glass marbles of different sizes at the bottom of the cake to mimic the sugar bubbles. i forgot to tell you that some bakers i approached mentioned that in any sort of warm or humid climate, those bubbles would fare poorly, if i somehow found someone to make them for me.

i also saved the original cake article from martha stewart living, and this is what it said about the bubble cake:

this technique in particular requires hands-on instruction. the information provided here is an introduction to the method, not complete directions. pulled or blown sugar is a boiled mixure of sugar, glucose, and tartaric acid that is kneaded, formed, and shaped with an air pump. this technique is difficult, but the blown bubble is one of the basic forms from which other shapes are made, and is a good beginning project for the novice. scissors, a candy thermometer, a silpat (french nonstick baking mat), a heat lamp, a mini hand held torch, a band pump, rubber gloves, and a hair dryer or cooling fan are the pieces of equipment needed to start. after the sugar has been boiled and cooled to specific handling temperatures, aerate the sugar by repeatedly folding it over itself to lengthen before pulling or blowing. to create a bubble, cut a round from the cooked sugar mass, and blow with the hand pump until it has expanded. heat bubble with torch, carefully remove stem of pump from bubble by cutting it with scissors. cool sugar with fan to prevent distortion. set the finished cake on a tray before placing any bubbles around it.

that''s all the information given in the article, which isn''t the most helpful. good luck finding someone to do this (and i would try to find someone rather than attempt it yourself)...but in the end, nobody would do it and the glass marbles of different sizes worked just fine for me.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see a picture of this cake!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
is that your actual cake, firegoddess? so cool- I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results