shape
carat
color
clarity

Hospital Bag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am starting to pack my hospital bag. I''ve found a bunch of lists online that are similar with slight variations, so I am not sure what''s really need/useful. I tried to look for it through the pregnancy thread, but it''s just too much to go through.

So ladies, what did you used from your hospital? what should you''ve leave at home?

TIA

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I took:

- A change of clothes for the ride home - preggo clothes, unfortunately. Take something loose and comfortable because you''ll probably be sore.

- Comfy socks that are not white. They will get bloody and your feet will be cold.

- Shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. My hospital provided the soap and washcloth.

- Toothbrush, toothpaste and face wash.

- Undies for the ride home. Something roomy and with butt coverage.

- A nursing bra or tank if you are breastfeeding. Breast pads even if not bf''ing.

- Something to do - a book or magazine should work.

- A change of clothes (or 2) for hubby.

- Baby''s items - going home outfit, diapers, wipes and formula (if not provided by the hospital).

I didn''t really take much else. I had a book and word search but didn''t read or do the puzzles. I had lots of visitors before I started pushing so talking and such kept me occupied. Recovery was rough but James roomed in so hubby and I took care of him.

Jess

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Bloody socks?? What? I had 2 kids and can''t imagine how that happens!! Sounds scary!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm...I can no longer find my list, but here''s what I remember being helpful...I was in the hospital for SIX days. Ugh!!!

Something that has easy access to your boobs. The hospital gown is just irritating after awhile. my friend gave me a gown that hate two "slits" where the boobs are and it was a lifesaver! You''re just BFing so often day after day that it is nice not to have to unsnap the hospital gown.

Easy slip on shoes (and socks)

Definitely a yes on your own shampoo and conditioner...it''s nice to have it when you get to take a shower...you feel more human. Your own toothbrush and toothpaste too.

Undies - I actually wore those mesh things home (I LOVED those things) but if you get undies, make sure they are high-rises. I made the mistake of getting low-rise ones and OUCH...it hit my cesarian line right on the mark. So in CASE you have a c-sec (which I hope you don''t) get roomy, non-tight undies.

What I find I didn''t need was a bunch of outfits for the baby. I just used the hospital shirts. The going home outfit we did use, but once we got home, we just kept using the hospital outfit for some reason since it fit better than what we had.

I also liked having lots of bottled water around.

More later as I think of things...

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 3:49:33 PM
Author: swingirl
Bloody socks?? What? I had 2 kids and can''t imagine how that happens!! Sounds scary!
Yep. It wasn''t a lot but it was enough to throw them out before leaving the hospital. I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and my pad runneth over. OOPS! It was gross but thank God for the nurses (and my hubby). I lost a lot of blood during delivery (needed a transfusion) so I may have been bleeding more than "normal".

Also you may want to pack some snacks and beverages for your hubby. The hospital I delivered at has a full cafeteria but it was a walk from the L&D unit so I wish we had brought our own.

Jess

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I got my socks bloody too, but it was before I had the baby. After the doc broke my water, I got up to go to the bathroom and WOW was there some fluid that came out of me!! It was a little bloody so I went ahead and tossed the socks!
2.gif
9.gif

Everyone is different, but I wore my own PJ pants and nursing tanks the three days I was in the hospital after I had the baby. I was way more comfy and after I showered I just felt more "clean" to put on my own clothes. We packed snacks and boy was DH happy we did. Also, make sure you have chapstick. My lips got so dry during and after labor. And then there''s the obvious cell phone charger, camcorder, camera. Oh, and we played cards to help pass time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I brought my own pillow.
Sanitary pads
Magazines
Snacks for hubby and me.
Shampoo
Conditioner
My fave lotion
Socks
Blow dryer and brushes
PJ''s
Underwear
Vaseline for my lips/ or chapstick

Although when I had my kids, didn''t have a cell phone, we had pagers back then. Don''t forget your cell phone charger. ETC...

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I brought a pair of slipper socks, the kind with the treads on the bottom, and through them away when I left.
Also, the hospital that I was in gave paper underwear which was great because you just throw it away. Get as much of that as you can.
Also if you are BF, Lansinoh creme would be helpful.
Good snacks.
Camera.
Your baby book - sometimes they''ll put the footprints and handprints in them.
Best wishes to you!
35.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes...a DITTO DITTO DITTO the chapstick...that was on the top of my list. I kept it bedside because my lips were so painfully dry.

And your own pillow. Hospital pillows SUCK. I was SOOO happy I took my own comfy pillow especially because I was there for so darn long. Put an old pillowcase on it and make sure it is not white, otherwise the hospital staff may think it's there.

ETA, I see that Kaleigh beat me to the pillow rec!!
1.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies. I keep reading these big lists online, and then I read about people not using half the stuffs. So I am want to minimize the stuffs I bring. I think my regular pj would not be convenient for BFing. Would nursing tanks and pj pants be easy enough? or do you recommend a nursing gown?

Did any of you bring a birthing ball?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 11:44:53 PM
Author: qtiekiki
Thanks ladies. I keep reading these big lists online, and then I read about people not using half the stuffs. So I am want to minimize the stuffs I bring. I think my regular pj would not be convenient for BFing. Would nursing tanks and pj pants be easy enough? or do you recommend a nursing gown?

I think that would be fine. Bring a zip up jumper or something because you may get cold and it will be easier to BF with something that zips open but you can still wear for warmth.

I brought a birthing ball (a lotta good it did me!). For the few hours I used it, I reallly liked it.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Q~No birthing ball for us. But, re the pj's-as I said above, I wore nursing tanks and pj pants for my days in the hospital after I delivered (and for months after at home!!
3.gif
). I also brought a hoody for warmth and so there was still easy access to the food supply!
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
everyone has good list. I was in the hospital for 5 days and ONLY wore the hospital gown (messy, messy). Plus they were checking me nonstop. So I just needed (clothes wise) an outfit to come home in. I had a mini fan which was awesome (though I had fevers).

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a great thread-thanks for all the suggestions for the smart mommas out there!
9.gif

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Here was my list:

- birthing ball (we left it in the car, since the hospital had one).
- hot water bottle (loved that for my lower back)
- juice/water and snacks, like granola bars
- swimsuit for DH, so he can join you in the shower/tub
- camera
- pen (you have to fill out a lot of forms, and the hospital kept leaving me without a pen)
- pillow and blanket
- clothes to wear home for you and baby
- a good baby book for quick reference.
- basic toiletries (contact lens solution, face cleanser/moisterizer, lip balm, shampoo/conditioner, deoderant)

That''s it. I took a bunch of other stuff, but I was there less than 24 hours, so very little is needed. Maybe have a bag of clothes for you and baby at home if you have a longer stay, but just have your main bag of essentials if you have a quick trip.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Really cheap flipflops to wear in the shower and wear if you go for a walk in the hall way. that you can just throw out when you leave the hosptial. Its super gross just thinking about showing and what has been on that hosptial shower floor before you!

Camera with fully charged battery and memory card (when I had my kids it was camera with extra batteries and lots of film) I had my husband take photos of the babies as they weighed them, cleaned them in delivery room. But I BANNED him from pointing that thing at me until after I had given birth! Its super cool to have photos of you in the delivery room (waist up!) with the newborn baby in your arms.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
this was my list (but please note that our culture here is a bit different..in the sense that almost EVERYONE comes to visit u in the hospital after u give birth and it honestly is a big deal/party typa thing!)

My Bag contained:
1- Pjs (3 different pairs)
2- a robe (to cover up when guests come in)
3- my own pillow and cover
4- my own flip flops
5- change of undies/nursing bra
6- mobile phone charger! ( i got a ton of calls on the fone from ppl congratulating me)
7- hair band (to keep my hair outta my face!)
8- moisturizer/lotion
9- toothbrush/toothpaste
10- shampoo/conditioner
11-towel

Baby's bag contained:
1- receiving blankets
2- baby outfit/onsie
3- baby hat
4- bibs
5- baby socks

what i did to make my life easier that i would wash a full 'set' for the baby and put it in ziplock bags!! so for example in a single zip lock bag id have: receiving blanket, baby onsie, baby pj, baby hat..so when the nurses came to take him and give him a bath, id just pull out one zip lock bag and hand it over to them =D...

baby favor bag/stand contained:
1- Baby favor stand
2- Baby favor stand cover
3- Baby favors

(each guest would get a 'favor' as a thank u for coming by)

'foods/beverages' bag contained:
1- tea & coffee thermos
2- tea/coffee cups
3- water
3- glasses
4- cocktail sized napkins
5- mini savories
6- mini pastries/cakes
7- mini chocolates/sweets
8- trays for serving

hmm

thats all i can remember now..im sure i had other stuff in there, but thats the bulk of it!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 4:45:52 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Hm...I can no longer find my list, but here's what I remember being helpful...I was in the hospital for SIX days. Ugh!!!
TG's list is really great
you might be in for a few days, maybe five if you need to get your breast feeding going... pack a few more undies than you need, for obvious reasons...pack the big pad-friendly comfy ones!!

you'll live in your nursing bra. Take three in case you're lucky and leak milk everywhre. (I didn't leak once, boo hoo)
I just HAD to have a nice silky nighty, or two (in case you need the laundry)
and a fluffy dressing gown to cover it up...
... and some change for the magazine / lolly machine!

I had frozen fruit juices I took along in my first labour, they were really great...
a calorie-laden post-partum treat for yourself, perhaps? You'll be starving!

ETA: maternity pads - for your undies, I mean
You can use the hospital's for most of the time, if they're generous
(incontinence pads are great and really give you that 'walk of confidence!)

nipple balm, like marcolan (purified lanolin). You'll need a tube of this, as often the hospital will only provide a small sample. If you are planning on breast feeding, this is a MUST

little slipons to wear around the hospital, into the garden and home as well...
a change of clothes for home

your favourite hair shampoo, conditioner, brush and cosmetic moisturiser, etc...

a change for the little one, one set of clothes is really all you need, as hospital clothing is very convenient and easy to deal with!

You might also like to take a cute little throw for the bub, first his or her first trip out into the big wide world. Good for sun and cold weather too. Awww!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 11:44:53 PM
Author: qtiekiki
When you visit the hospital to check out the birthing suites, ask about birthing balls.
They really should supply!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We did the hospital tour already and they don''t provide birthing ball. I will have to go get one. I used to have an exercising ball, but it was leaky.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read every response thouroughly. Did somebody say gum? It''s good for you or for DH. The importance of fresh breath is under estimated while you are giving birth.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 12:41:18 AM
Author: Miranda
I didn''t read every response thouroughly. Did somebody say gum? It''s good for you or for DH. The importance of fresh breath is under estimated while you are giving birth.
Ha ha! funny! Just don''t choke on it!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results