shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday stories!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any funny and/or special holiday stories you''d like to share?

I just shared this one with my husband and he thought it was pretty funny. My mom is known to be a basic cook -- nothing fancy or gourmet. My sister and I never grew up watching her cook and learning from her just because we were doing our own things and frankly, most things came from a box. (She can cook some things very well, I will say.) This was true at Christmas time, as well. We never hung out in the kitchen as other families do. Around Christmas time when we were little, my mom decided that she was going to make Christmas cookies and turn it into a tradition. For years, she would make the same cookies -- green Christmas trees with green sprinkles on top and red/white candy cane twist cookies with crushed up candy canes. We would help and it as fun to make the cookies, although truthfully, we didn''t like them. My sister, my dad, and I ate them out of obligation, mainly. One year one of us (not sure who) actually told my mom that we didn''t like her cookies. When she tells the story to others, my mom tells people that we actually asked her to stop making them. I don''t remember that, but maybe it was true. There went the end of my mom''s Christmas cookie tradition.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
That reminds me a little bit of a recent story from last year when DH spent Christmas with my family for the first time. My family loves pork pie and there is often 2 or 3 different pies at our get togethers, each one somebody''s "special recipe". I don''t love pork pie, but I can tolerate it. DH had never heard of it before. Well, my aunt, bless her little heart, wanted DH to be an unbiased "judge" of which family member makes the best pork pie. She put a slice of each version on a plate for him and watched while he sample each piece (which eventually resulted in him eating all 3 pieces under everyone''s watchful eye). He said that they were all good and he couldn''t decide which one was best (good boy). But later he told me that he thought pork pie was the grossest dish he''s even eaten and he was trying so hard not to gag with each bite! haha.
I told him he needs to put ketchup on top to mask it''s grossness.
3.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s funny, Lucky! My husband''s family loves pork pie, and my husband raves about the one his mom makes. I had never heard of it until the first Christmas Eve we spent together and his mom had made it. Like you, I can tolerate it, but that''s about it.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
My husband was against on getting in with the newest technology, a cell phone. He would say, "I''ve done without a cell phone all my life, I don''t need one now!"

In 2006, I was stuck on what to get him for Christmas. Two weeks before Christmas, I went to my cell phone provider and signed him up with a new phone. I charged the phone, changed the ringtone and wrapped it up and placed it strategically among all the other presents. Mostly presents for my nieces and nephews.
So, while I was at work (we work opposite shifts), I would call "the Phone", let it ring a few times and hang up. Then I would call home and talk to Dh and sound like everything is normal. Somethimes,while on the phone with Dh, I would use my work phone and call "the phone", let it ring and my Dh would ask me if I hear the ringing. He would go under the tree and try to find the present but was never able to get to it before the ringing stopped. Our conversation would go like this.

Me: Hi honey!
Dh: Hi. One of the kids toys is going.
Me: What do you mean?
Dh: Did you get the kids something that makes noise?
Me: No.
Dh: Listen... Do you hear that?
Me: No
Dh: It''s gone. It''s coming from one of the presents.
Me: Are you sure it''s not coming from the tv? (the tree was right beside the tree)
Dh: It''s not coming from the tv. I tried to look for the present but the noise stops.
Dh: Don''t you hear anything while your home?
Me: No.

It drove him crazy. During the course of my prank while he was at work, I would charge the phone up and re-wrap it and put it back under the tree.

Christmas rolls around and when Dh opened his present, he immediately knew. I said "Gotch Ya!" It''s a Christmas he will never forget and a story he tells everybody.

Today, he has a Blackberry. He doesn''t leave home without it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Cute stories!

My first is a story about the real Santa Claus.

I was 4 yrs old when our farm failed and we moved to TX for my dad to find work. My brother (who was 5) and I packed all of our belongings into two tiny suitcases in Oct. We moved into a small apartment and didn''t even have furniture for every room. My mom sewed and crafted lots of things but wasn''t sure how she was going to make Christmas that year. All I wanted was a doll stroller (something that is hard to make from fabric!) About a week before Christmas there came a knock on the door during naptime. My mom answered and saw a woman standing there with a doll stroller, high chair, and baby carrier all in bright pink plastic. She offered the whole lot to my mom for just a few dollars. Of course my mom went through all of her change to purchase the items and I was delighted on Christmas morning.

Now for the funny story, which I''ve shared before. But still worth retelling!!

A few years ago my mom was so pleased with a gift that she got for all of the adult girls. We (my SIL, sis and I) opened these gifts at the same time. I stare dumbfounded at my newly revealed gift and then look up with an odd expression on my face. My SIL looks up at me redfaced, my sis just starts giggling. Then I ask my mom why she felt the need to buy us all vibrators.
23.gif
"Vibrators!" she shrieks. "They''re back massagers!" I had to explain to my mom on Christmas Eve that just because the woman is holding the device along her neck does NOT mean that it''s a back massager!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results