carat
color
clarity

HELP! Much-needed job interview while preggo

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer,
Rationalization or no, I certainly have seen it adversely affect other interns and residents, so the effect is there. I certainly don't think that it justifies discrimination in any way, and I in fact am likely to be pregnant while interviewing. But the effect is real and true none the less. And it's certainly something I considered when thinking about starting a family, I think it would irresponsible of me not to weigh that into my decision making since for me, I'm making a conscious decision to be pregnant knowing that it can adversely affect my co-wokers in the form of extra nights away from their families (and I'm thinking of those coworkers who have their own kids at home).

The being said, I understand that American medical internship is a bit unique in that it is an extremely labor-intensive yet skill-intensive job. As in, they can't just hire a "temp" if you're on maternity leave, you certainly can't work from home, and it's ultimately a service industry that is up and running 24/7 and tolerates minimal mistakes. They are in the process of enforcing new work hour regulations that will effectively cut the intern work force in a third, and everyone is kind of frantic about how it will all pan out.The answer so far is to give everyone else 1/3 extra hours to make up for the difference. Personally I think they should just train more physicians but that's a whole different can of worms!

But it's extremely different in most corporate jobs where you being out for a few months should not as drastically effect your workplace and change many people's daily schedules. And I do think American maternity (and paternity) policy is awful. Sorry for the tangent, it's just something that's been on my mind too lately!

Do let us know how it all turns out Mischka.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1290034399|2770492 said:
Dreamer,

And it's certainly something I considered when thinking about starting a family, I think it would irresponsible of me not to weigh that into my decision making since for me, I'm making a conscious decision to be pregnant knowing that it can adversely affect my co-wokers in the form of extra nights away from their families (and I'm thinking of those coworkers who have their own kids at home)..
I ditto this... because not all companies like to put a temp worker in place and sometimes that means the people left behind do the work of the person that is out. Also it's not govmt subsidized so the companies (and therefore the workers) take the hit. Does it suck...yes. Is it often the case...yes.

Mish did you go to the interview yet?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
The interview is tomorrow :errrr: :errrr:

My mom spoke with a friend of hers who is VP of HR for a large company, who advised to wear concealing clothes and bring it up after an offer has been made. I *think* this is the route I am taking, partially because I am chicken and would rather not have to go through the conversation if I don't have to.

I will report back!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck! Let us know how it goes when you have a moment!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Miscka|1290040662|2770678 said:
The interview is tomorrow :errrr: :errrr:

My mom spoke with a friend of hers who is VP of HR for a large company, who advised to wear concealing clothes and bring it up after an offer has been made. I *think* this is the route I am taking, partially because I am chicken and would rather not have to go through the conversation if I don't have to.

I will report back!

I'm in HR also, and interviewed when I was 12 weeks preggo. I didn't say anything until they made an offer, then discussed what would happen when the baby came, etc. I took the job, and started work at 16 weeks. It's a little less preggo than you are, but there were no hard feelings with my team, they even threw me a suprise baby shower! I've been with the company 2 years now and it was the best decision I've made career-wise.

While technically a company can not discriminate due to pregnancy, they can find other reasons not to hire you if they want to. I'd wait and see if it even comes to an offer, and talk about it then.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Mustang your story was a great morale-booster right before I went in! Thanks :)

Well, sorry it took me so long to update but I got the job!!!! I went in for the interview and I think they have just already decided to hire me, it was really informal and felt great. The head honcho said he had wanted to hire me last time, but the HR guy talked him into the other lady (who had more experience). They told me what happened, she was basically just lazy. There is more detail, but thats the short version.

I was sitting down with HR guy and talking start date/salary and so I told him then. He wasnt thrilled but he was nice about it. He is looking into the insurance part of the equation.

I also told the head honcho, and he was really nice and said he has 5 kids, etc and he congratulated me. I know they werent thrilled but they handled it really well. Also I learned that there ARE women there and the hours are super easy (same as mine now, 8:30-5 in general) so I think it will work out well for balance.

There will be a "temp" period (similar to a probation period in other jobs) its not really a contract just a chance for them to feel comfortable. I am going to bust a** to prove myself! And wear some de-emphasizing clothes and not bring it up :) work work work!

Thanks everyone for all the advice and help!! I am so excited and thrilled and nervous. I hope it all works out but I know I will do my best to work it out!

Thanks again :)

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Miscka, congrats on the job! YOu can totally ROCKSTAR it!!!! Huge congrats!!!! I'm glad they took the news well, but you coming in and being a total Rockstar will TOTALLY make them feel easy.
:appl: :appl: :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Congrats Miscka!!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Wooo hooo! CONGRATS! So glad it worked out for you, and a pat on the back for the employer!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mischka!!! So glad that it worked out and that they handled it well...and you too! Hope you love it.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! I'm so happy you got the job! :appl:

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Miscka, that's GRRREEEAATTT :appl: .

Kick some butt in your new gig and enjoy your new job!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATS!!!! :appl: Thats is wonderful news. Go you good thang!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Hope it all works out well.

I'm in the UK and having worked for my company for nearly 5 years they tried to make me redundant 2 weeks after I told them I was pregnant. Long story but basically I called in the lawyers and a hellish year later we settled out of court for a sum that will make them think THREE times before they do it again to someone - they had done it to all the girls who got PG in the last 6 years. Even if something is illegal, actually going the legal route in pretty horrendous.

One of the reasons I chose to get pregnant when I did (straight after our wedding) was because I had been interviewing for the previous 5 months and coming second everytime. After the 5th friend (all male) said that it was a no-brainer: I was 35, female and getting married... pretty obvious that babies would be on the horizon.

I'm about to start job-hunting again and I intend to tell potential employers straight up that DH and I don't plan to have any more children. I know that they will be thinking: 38, 1 child = 2nd baby on the horizon...and I want to squish that one at the start. If DH and I change our minds it won't be until Daisy is 6, so another 4.5 years which is more than enough to give an employer their money's worth.

We are lucky that we get a year's maternity leave in the UK - plus health insurance is not necessary as we have free healthcare. It's not as good as Canada - we only get 90% salary for the first 6 weeks and then £140 GBP a week for the next 33 weeks. The final 13 weeks are unpaid. Many firms offer enhanced benefits though - mine had 12 weeks on 100%, then 12 weeks on 50% salary and then 15 weeks on the £140 GBP.

Everyone I know takes at least 9 months and the majority the full 12 months and companies expect that. In many ways it works well as an ideal way of getting work-experience when you are young is to take the 1 year maternity leave contracts. Small firms get extra financial help from the government to recruit temporary maternity cover.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY!!!!!! Congrats Miscka, you go girl!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :appl: :appl:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Miscka|1290395249|2775113 said:
....Well, sorry it took me so long to update but I got the job!!!! ...
Well that is just the greatest news. Many congratulations!!!!!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
So so so happy for you! and now to plan my move to the UK after Pandora's post...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results