carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

swingirl said:
Vanity Fair makes cotton bloomers. They look cozy.

Looks like the girdle my mom used to wear.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Clears throat and sings: I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare...bye, bye bloomers :bigsmile: I like to wear the least amount possible. It's a challenge. Bikini bottoms and bras with plunging tops. I also fancy some lace...and no, you will never see pics of me in my "smalls." [tm Gailey and Lost Sapphire]

ETA: This is some wacky thread :cheeky:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Matata said:
After grappling with excruciating muscle pain for 6 wks. I had a Duh moment and remembered that I had forgotten to take my magnesium supplement. No more muscle pain.

Just got home from a clothes buying spree and spent a bunch of $$ of some new MAC eye shadows for winter. I often wonder why I bother since most of the color gets lost in my wrinkles & sagging eyelids.

We're off to Boston Friday for 4 days to visit my stepson. I've never been there and am looking forward it.

Do you take magnesium for fibro pain? I'm wondering if it would help me. Good job on treating yourself to some goodies :appl: Enjoy your visit to Boston. My DD lives there.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

risingsun said:
Clears throat and sings: I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare...bye, bye bloomers :bigsmile: I like to wear the least amount possible. It's a challenge. Bikini bottoms and bras with plunging tops. I also fancy some lace...and no, you will never see pics of me in my "smalls." [tm Gailey and Lost Sapphire]

ETA: This is some wacky thread :cheeky:

OK, speaking of undergarments (ahem!) I have some free time next week and will venture out to get my girls measured for a new bra. I am going to the place that doesn't charge $20.00 for a consult and see how I make out. I guess I have to go because it seems the elastic is shot in a few of the bras I do own. You know, if I was small enough I would just let the girls hang. What I wouldn't do for a boob lift.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Thanks. Thanks great information. What about 8mm film? How did you do that?

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I am assuming you mean 8mm reel film. If you have 8mm analog tapes then you could your camcorder or playback (vcr) deck to transfer if you have one.

Transferring 8mm film was a time consuming one. What my nephew did (he took a film class in college)was to load the film on a projector and projected it onto a sheet of white copy paper (he said the copy paper numbers go as high as #99 - he wasn't sure but he said he used at least a #92.The whiter the paper the better) while the movie was playing he recorded it with a videocamera. That is how we got the 8mm on videotape and then we converted these videotapes to dvd. (He was precise in the distance so that the movie filled an 8 1/2" X 11" paper and set the video camera at the correct distance to record properly)

I guess you could use the same setup and using a dvd camera you could record to dvd and then edit it if you need to on the computer.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

swingirl said:
Thanks. Thanks great information. What about 8mm film? How did you do that?

swingirl, I found this online which explains better how my nephew converted the 8mm reel film. We got quotes from professionals and did not think it was worth the expense. Ours turned out well for our needs.

•Do it Yourself
The first option is the least expensive and the results will vary depending on your technical expertise and the quality of your video camera. The basic process is to videotape the projected films. You'll need a 8mm film projector, a small white movie screen in a dark room and a decent-quality video camera, preferably HD. You can use white paper instead of a screen, but it needs to be very white. The projector bulb should be sufficiently bright and the lens in perfect focus. Adjust your projector until there is no flicker. You'll need to play with the settings on your video camera so the shutter speed is the same as the projected film. You'll also want to test various iris levels to try to match the levels of lightness and darkness of the projected film. You can record onto video tapes, memory cards or straight into your computer. Photo.net has a good forum board with what has and has not worked for those trying this method. If you don't mind not having a perfect and professional transfer of your 8mm film reels, this will do the trick for the least amount of money.

•Take it to a Conversion Company
Most 8mm conversion companies are targeted toward consumers who want an inexpensive way to put their old stacks of home movies on DVD. The quality, though, can vary greatly. Some of them will simply do the same thing you could do at home but perhaps with a better camera. Others have a type of film scanner that scans each frame of the film to convert it to a digital signal. There are many machines that do the same process of taking film and converting it to video, but some are better than others. You want a company that works with the most up-to-date film scanning machines but still gives you a good price. You might want to have one reel converted before you pay for the whole lot. Or better yet, send the same reel to a local company and to a professional facility to see if there are discernible differences.

•Go Professional
If you want the best, you'll have to pay for the best. The most trusted name in 8mm film is Pro8mm, a company based in Burbank, CA. They still sell, rent and process 8mm film and cameras. Their film-to-video processing is state of the art, using the latest hi-def film scanners and Da Vinci color correctors. They can put your home movies onto DVD, Blue Ray or even on a hard drive in a uncompressed format.

Read more: 8mm Film to Video Conversion http://www.soyouwanna.com/8mm-film-video-conversion-3466.html#ixzz12vfr41Gt

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, one learns the craziest (yet useful) things on PS! I didn't think anyone else suffered from underwear chafing. FWIW, this is a very recent problem for me. Is it because my nerves are more sensitive now or what, I don't know. If they make those long bloomers in a bikini waist, I look into them. Sheesh, can you imagine the picture now--low rise long legged bloomers! My husband would just die laughing. But it's also cold here now, and they look so comfortable. Sigh. I know for a fact my MIL wears a version of those in silk and wool and they're very expensive actually. If I'm becoming my MIL, can I have her jewellery too? (just copies is fine!) ;))

Off to search for new underwear....I can't bring myself to try any of my DH's, sorry. :devil:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Thank you. That's great information on transferring the reel to reel stuff. I appreciate your time and effort! My stuff is about 50 years old and I don't know how well it's held up after all these years.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

lyra said:
Wow, one learns the craziest (yet useful) things on PS! I didn't think anyone else suffered from underwear chafing. FWIW, this is a very recent problem for me. Is it because my nerves are more sensitive now or what, I don't know. If they make those long bloomers in a bikini waist, I look into them. Sheesh, can you imagine the picture now--low rise long legged bloomers! My husband would just die laughing. But it's also cold here now, and they look so comfortable. Sigh. I know for a fact my MIL wears a version of those in silk and wool and they're very expensive actually. If I'm becoming my MIL, can I have her jewellery too? (just copies is fine!) ;))

Off to search for new underwear....I can't bring myself to try any of my DH's, sorry. :devil:

Ok so now it's long bloomers and then what adult diapers?? I am not ready to regress. How about we just forgo underwear all together and go au naturale?! Live dangerously ladies! :naughty:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool said:
lyra said:

Ok so now it's long bloomers and then what adult diapers?? I am not ready to regress. How about we just forgo underwear all together and go au naturale?! Live dangerously ladies! :naughty:

Uh...let me think about that for a secondNONONONONONONONONO.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gearing up for BFF's Dad's funeral tomorrow. My husband, Ash and I will be there... My son is 4 hours away, so can't come..

I am not on PS as much but try to read as much as I can...

I know Karl won't be reading this thread, so will you ladies help me???

Karen and Karl are getting married on Saturday.. I sooooo wanted to be there for him but with the funeral and being sick I can't make the trip..

So I came up with an idea, and pitched it to Andrey who will be at the wedding...

So on Saturday I am posting a thread, like an online guestbook for all that want to wish Karen and Karl all the best on their wedding day...

So if you have a second on Saturday, please look for the thread, will be in hangout...

Andrey will add a video at the end if all goes well.....

Many thanks. Karl has been my dear friend for 6+ years and am thrilled he and Karen are finally saying the I do's!!!!! :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: Awesome! I'll totally be on the lookout for it Saturday!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

So will I, Lisa.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

Great idea, Kaleigh! I'm a relative newcomer on PS (1.5yrs) but I will certainly sign the guestbook on Saturday. I think that is lovely.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

Btw ladies, thanks for the many laughs-I never new undies could be so funny!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gayletmom said:
Great idea, Kaleigh! I'm a relative newcomer on PS (1.5yrs) but I will certainly sign the guestbook on Saturday. I think that is lovely.

Thanks Gayletmom..... Never thought of you as a newcomer.. You are part of the lovely ladies here...

Thanks Packie and Marian...

I know Saturdays are slow, but am hoping this guest book gets lots of well wishes.. I know it will mean a lot to them... ;))

xx

Lisa

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I'll definitely stop in here at PS at some point on Saturday to sign the guestbook. Am going apple picking tomorrow with friends. So why did I bake a cake this morning? Soon making my tomato crab soup for the weekend. All this before 9 am. No wonder I go to bed so early.

Taking the dog to the vet for his annual checkup and shots later. What fun. How does he know when he goes to the vet? That is the only time he refuses to get into the car. (Oh and he howls the entire way there.) Otherwise I say who wants to go for a car ride and he is right there ready to jump in.

Ok ladies when I get sized for my bra next I will check out their bloomers as well and let you know what's what!

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Gayletmom said:

I am a toddler on here too. It will be 2 years for me in January. I am so happy for this thread because I can let it all hang out and all you ladies understand without me going into detail. That's soooooo nice!! :appl:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spent a goodly chunk of last night/this morning, at the ER with violent nausea/vomiting that had reduced me to almost unable to walk. :errrr: And yesterday was SUCH a great day for me; I had such high hopes for today too, dammit, and now, although the vomiting and other things have stopped, I feel incredibly rough, and I'm only supposed to have clear liquids for the next 72 hours. No problems there: appetite has NOT come back yet... :sick: Don't know if it was virus(suspected) or food poisoning(we attended a cooking demo, that included oysters (cooked) and I'm always wary of them) but it was sudden onset about 40 minutes after the meal and very violent. Three hours later, I was a little heap - nothing left, but the actual nausea was increasing. Pure pure misery...

On the upside, I suspect that with the purge, plus the no-solid-food restriction for the next 3 days, that I'll drop a few pounds. Not my method of choice however.... :rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger said:
Spent a goodly chunk of last night/this morning, at the ER with violent nausea/vomiting that had reduced me to almost unable to walk. :errrr: And yesterday was SUCH a great day for me; I had such high hopes for today too, dammit, and now, although the vomiting and other things have stopped, I feel incredibly rough, and I'm only supposed to have clear liquids for the next 72 hours. No problems there: appetite has NOT come back yet... :sick: Don't know if it was virus(suspected) or food poisoning(we attended a cooking demo, that included oysters (cooked) and I'm always wary of them) but it was sudden onset about 40 minutes after the meal and very violent. Three hours later, I was a little heap - nothing left, but the actual nausea was increasing. Pure pure misery...

On the upside, I suspect that with the purge, plus the no-solid-food restriction for the next 3 days, that I'll drop a few pounds. Not my method of choice however.... :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry! I know how awful that is. On our honeymoon in Italy I got food poisoning from a seafood dish I had eaten for lunch and that evening I spent over 8 hours vomiting my brains out as well as diarrhea at the same time (you could imagine the conundrum LOL) and it was our week anniversary that night to make matters worse. I kept vacillating b/w being scared I would die to being scared I wouldn't as the nausea was so intense and horrible. I couldn't get relief at all from the nausea and vomiting and diarrhea until the next morning and at that time my whole body was in such terrible pain from vomiting the whole night that I felt like I had a terrible case of the flu. And that day we had to travel from Florence to San Gimignano and every little bump/movement in the car wracked my body in pain. Not a pleasant experience and I feel your pain.

Unfortunately any weight I lost as a result of that experience was quickly put back on during the honeymoon when I recovered a few days later. I think we both gained 8 lbs on our honeymoon (3 weeks in Italy) and it took us a bit of time to lose it too!

Hope your recovery is swift and as painless as possible. Sending healing vibes your way Ksinger!!

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock

ksinger said:

I'm so sorry Karen. That is so very miserable. Whatever the cause, I hope it passes quickly.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry to hear about the illness Karen. Oysters you say? So began MY allergy to shellfish. I grew up eating shellfish, and one day in my early 30's we went out and had cooked oysters and 2 days of hell began for me. Since then, I have been allergic to shellfish, which means I am also allergic to CT scan contrast dye, which is why I am mentioning this to you. My incident was out of the blue and very sudden, as food allergies can be, even when you've previously not been allergic to that food. Worth considering anyway. Take care.

ETA: When I had a CT scan a couple of years later, my breathing became constricted to the point where they had to give me an injection immediately and rush through the scan. That's how I knew I had the shellfish allergy. Might be better to have a skin test or something rather than find out through not being able to breathe at some point. This was an anaphylactic response.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

ksinger said:

So sorry to hear this, Karen. Feeling better dust is on the way...

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Karen, so sorry to hear you're not feeling well ! Just the idea of vomiting makes me want to ...you know what.

When you get your apetite back remember ginger ale or tea with ginger will keep your stomach settled. And dry toast will help too. Take care of yourself !!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks all, for the kind wishes for recovery. I appreciate the good vibes.

I'm still feeling pretty rough. After all the...um ....whoo haa of last night, every muscle is screaming and every joint is too. I had just taken my fibro med too, so that vacated the premises along with everything else. I'll try again tonight, with better success, hopefully.

I'm leaning towards a virus as the cause actually, rather than the oysters. I'm NOT a shellfish fan - they scare me for some reason - so it's easy to blame them. But they WERE cooked and the hubs didn't get sick, so it's really more likely to be a virus. The ER docs said there was a dandy one going around. It was such a shame to lose such a lovely meal. It really was excellent, and I watched the entire cooking process: it is unlikely that our premier 4-star chef is going to food-poison people with contaminated oysters.

It's weird, the only other time I've visited the ER was a similar experience about 18 years ago. I got a bug on New Year's Eve (we didn't even go out) and spent 6+ hours fighting the civil war, before surrendering. That was actually worse, because I didn't even get 5 minutes between rounds - I have enough time to take a few breaths, and then the process would start over. Talk about exhausted. Six hours then versus 3 hours now - my endurance level ain't what it used to be. :sick:

I really wish you could get good anti-nausea meds OTC, because it could save that desperate trip to the (expensive) ER, and allow you to make it until the morning. And WHY does that crap ALWAYS happen in the wee hours???? WHY??

But in the time it's taken to write this, my Excedrin has kicked in and the edge of off my headache so at least that is starting to decrease... I'll survive this without doubt, but boy it's been nasty....

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my gosh Karen, what an awful experience, I'm so sorry you had to go through that...I can relate, had something similar last year, and at the risk of sounding melodramatic, I felt so awful I considered the possibility that I was dying! I had never been so ill, or felt so horrible, I kept hoping I would pass out so I didn't have to experience it any more...I'm always amazed at how sick a "common" virus can make you. I agree with you on the OTC anti-nausea medicine, it would save people from experiencing such agony. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend somewhat, you were hit hard and it may take you a while to feel normal again...hope you are feeling better very soon!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Ask your doctor about Compazine for nausea. I use it for migraines and it really does help.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Up early this am to bake 2 loaves of bread and then off later to go apple picking with my hommies! - my gal pals. My friend Marie(who also cuts my hair) has the house to herself this weekend and we are picking apples, going back to her place to bake something good (probably apple crisps), sipping some hot spiced apple cider, ordering take out from this great Cuban-Jewish restaurant , sitting outside next to the firepit, having great conversations, and just being uninhibited selves. I love Girls Day Out!!! :appl:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

I've been lurking more than posting lately, but just stopping in to say sorry that you had to go through that ksinger -- I've been that sick just a few times in my half-century of living (!) and it is truly awful, and, yup, it could mean you've developed a seafood allergy.

risingsun, there's an HOF thread on RT right now, and in it I mentioned that you own both a stone and a setting from HOF, so if you've got a chance, you might want to take a peek and help out a newbie with her decision.

I'll definitely be posting on the wedding thread for Karl, Kaleigh. Thanks for thinking of it!

Uppy, your underwear musings were hilarious. Let me tell you, I was looking at my husband's boxers in a whole new light -- heh-heh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results