shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

Hi to everyone! Last time I posted was on Wednesday. Soon afterward I got a call from my sister that my dad was being rushed to the hospital. He had a pulmonary embolism. He is ok now and stabilized after the surgery to remove it. My sister and I are wiped out. taking turns to stay by his bedside. Our kids are helping out this weekend taking turns to be with him so we can catch up on our zzz's.

I'd write more , but I am suffering from "brain fog" right now. I'll have to comeback later and reread all your posts.

Uppy: hold off selling your pieces for now. Let me tell you what one of my neighbors does to make money and he earns a good chunk. He travels to garage sales in more affluent areas and sells the stuff on ebay. He once bought a child's tobaggon (never used) for $5.00
and sold on ebay for $55.00. He also gets bargains buying wedding gifts couples have never used for less than $5.00 (he also haggles) and sells for about 1/2 of what it originally costs. He'll but musical instruments that parents are getting rid of after the kid's move out or lose interest and sell these at a good price.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Sparklee said:
UPPY: I'd hold off and see what happens. You can always sit down with hubby and tell him that you're prepared to sell your items to do your part if the need be. Maybe just knowing that it's some income that will be there might help ease his anxiety.

I'm with Sparklee, just letting him know you are prepared to do your part IF it becomes necessary might help his anxiety. BUT, jumping the gun on selling them before it's necessary may backfire on you (seller's remorse and all).

Are there any of your one of a kinds that you really like, but don't really love? I mean, I had one piece of jewelry that I liked because I had designed it and it was really pretty, but I didn't LOVE it when it was all said and done and I haven't had any seller's remorse over letting it go.

Different story on a couple of others that I let go.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts about our dog.... it's going to be a long few months... I'm just hoping he can stay "healthy" feeling for as long as possible.... he's feeling really good right now, so that's a plus.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr said:
gemgirl said:
Last night I started my three day prep, and this morning I started my two day fast for my surgical colonoscopy on Monday. By Monday afternoon, I think I'm going to want to chew off my own foot!

It's 11:00 a.m. and I'm hungry!

WOW! Two days? I don't remember it being that long :confused: Either I have selected memory loss (very possible) or mine was only 24 hrs......

No, you're right, the fast is usually 24hrs. That's standard. This is compliments of that dunderhead surgeon from June who noted that my prep was "sub-optimal" on the operative report. Someone should duct tape her mouth shut for two days and see how she likes it.

Sorry, I'm cranky already :(sad. My husband is lucky he's fishing a tournament today.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

colorluvr: So sorry about your doggie! {{{hugs}}}

gemgirl: Ugh on your prep!!! Did you consider a new doctor???...jk Hope your procedure goes well!

uppy: are you still working the part-time job? How about putting some of that money toward the credit card debt?

I am also adjusting to not working a regular job and my "spending money" will also come from a part-time venture, after school tutoring. We also are debt free other than the mortgage on our new house and equity line on the old one until it sells. I may look for a part-time teaching job after the holidays. If our daughter gets engaged soon, I am already thinking that our "wedding savings account" just won't realistically cover what we want to do.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't been here for several days and there was so much to catch up with! Dust to all those going through medical issues and personal issues.

Uppy, I hope your DH's job situation improves. I know that kind of stress firsthand.

Karen, I was on the dreaded iron supplements for months. I stopped taking them eventually because I could just no longer swallow the capsules. I was on triferrix (sp?). It was the one with the least side effects. I also had to do iron shots every 2 weeks but that made me feel awful so I quit that too. Haven't seen my doc since. I've been bad, but you know how it is sometimes--you just get sick of being poked and prodded with no seeming benefit and endless appointments to try to get to! I guess I'll have to see him soon or he'll ditch me as a patient and it's way too hard to find a decent doctor where I live.

Take care everyone!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Uppy~I would wait on selling your jewelry unless there are pieces you no longer wear.
Gemgirl~I will be thinking of you. Three day prep :shock: That is just cruel.
Soocool~I hope things improve in your family. I have brain fog, too :oops:

This thread is moving very quickly. Forgive me if I have left anyone out. My best wishes to all my friends on this thread. I'm so glad that we have a place to gather and be with each other....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra said:
I haven't been here for several days and there was so much to catch up with! Dust to all those going through medical issues and personal issues.

Uppy, I hope your DH's job situation improves. I know that kind of stress firsthand.

Karen, I was on the dreaded iron supplements for months. I stopped taking them eventually because I could just no longer swallow the capsules. I was on triferrix (sp?). It was the one with the least side effects. I also had to do iron shots every 2 weeks but that made me feel awful so I quit that too. Haven't seen my doc since. I've been bad, but you know how it is sometimes--you just get sick of being poked and prodded with no seeming benefit and endless appointments to try to get to! I guess I'll have to see him soon or he'll ditch me as a patient and it's way too hard to find a decent doctor where I live.

Take care everyone!

Uppy, I know how big a stressor that is. I have been laid off 2 times in my life, and never in an economy like this. Scary stuff. I'll be holding a good thought for you both.

Lyra, I know what you mean about being poked and prodded. Someone just beginning to read my posts would get the idea that I'm some sort of hypochondriac and go to doctors constantly, but prior to about 2 years ago, I didn't even have a GP. Except for the odd "emergency" over the years, this doctor thing is huge and new to me, and it seems like everything has come due at once. And the iron supplements HAVE to have breaks taken. Seriously, I can't make it through 3 days taking them, and NEVER the required 3 a day. I'd DIE, or want to. Whatever though, I figure that I'll take what I can, when I can, for a good long time, and eventually I will make up the deficit. (So for those who were wondering, I was declared "a bit" anemic. 10.7 on a hemaglobin test? which is what....32.1 on the other one? So, in the immortal words from The Holy Grail, "Ahm not dead yet!! I think I'll go for a walk! I feel HAPPYYYYY!!!" **(thwack)**

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Well, I'm listing a couple things at that other place. And I'm sending a piece out to JbEG for consignment. I'd appreciate fingers crossed from all my lady friends.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

Scorpioanne said:
movie zombie said:
same age as JewelFreak......

i was last carded at age 50........seriously. now at age 62 time has caught up with me. sigh. but i do agree that it beats the alternative! especially since i'm in that age group that thought the cuban missle crisis would see us all dead. the cold war threat loomed real with air raid drills and crawling under desks....not to mention the threat of polio.

is no one else bothered by white hairs in the brows and lashes?! i don't mind the hair on my head [well, i do object to those hairs on my lip and chin...] but i absolutely hate what those traitorous white hairs do to my brows and lashes.

MoZo
Not to mention the white pubic hars :lol:

Time for the full Brazillian I say!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

^^^"Bring me a shrubbery!!" [Was that in bad taste?]

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

^^^^^I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Please please!! This is supposed to be a ...happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over 'oo killed 'oo!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Now stand aside, worthy adversary. 'Tis but a scratch!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

My daughter came over to hug me good night, and she said, "You smell good." I said, "I showered."

Maybe I should consider showering more frequently? :errrr:

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Slept well last night, showered, ate breakfast and had my coffee and came on here and just read the last few posts.

Now tell me, WHAT DID I MISS?????

soocool

Ideal_Rock

My sister sent me this link this morning. I thought you ladies might enjoy it.

http://www.minniepauz.com/

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

soocool said:
Slept well last night, showered, ate breakfast and had my coffee and came on here and just read the last few posts.

Now tell me, WHAT DID I MISS?????

It's the Monty Python crew getting rowdy, again :bigsmile: We just can't help ourselves!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Upgradable said:
My daughter came over to hug me good night, and she said, "You smell good." I said, "I showered."

Maybe I should consider showering more frequently? :errrr:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lulu

Ideal_Rock

Ah, Monty Python people. My fave is the Norwegian Blue--beautiful plumage. Of course Michael Palin can make me laugh without opening his mouth,

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

lulu said:
Ah, Monty Python people. My fave is the Norwegian Blue--beautiful plumage. Of course Michael Palin can make me laugh without opening his mouth,

bwahahaha ohhh my word that is about the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. This pa-rrot is de-ceased! It is NO MORE! It has ceased to live! It is de-miiiised!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat said:
lulu said:

bwahahaha ohhh my word that is about the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. This pa-rrot is de-ceased! It is NO MORE! It has ceased to live! It is de-miiiised!

Palin was hilarious as K-K-K-K-Ken in "A Fish Called Wanda" too.

Did anyone see the documentary (can't remember the name) on IFC, interviewing all the Pythons about the show, and the making of HG and LOB? Pretty interesting to get the takes of each guy, of all their years together. I missed some of it, but caught most of the stuff on the filming of HG.

Sparklee

Rough_Rock

packrat said:
lulu said:

“He's not pining, he's passed on. This parrot is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff, bereft of life, he rests in peace. If you hadn't have nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. He's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot!”

OMG!! Love to see Monty Python fans....... :appl:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Sparklee said:
packrat said:
lulu said:

“He's not pining, he's passed on. This parrot is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff, bereft of life, he rests in peace. If you hadn't have nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. He's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot!”

OMG!! Love to see Monty Python fans....... :appl:

Now you've done it! It doesn't take much for this lot to start in on the Python riffs. Next thing you know we'll be fish slapping, having argument clinics and singing "I'm A Lumberjack" :lol:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

Gemgirl asked me to pass along a message from her. As you know, she is having surgery tomorrow. She will be off the boards for several days. I will be speaking with her DH after the procedure and will update you, if it is ok with Gemgirl. I am sending her a truckload of dust for an unevenful surgery and recovery! We'll see you back here soon :))

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Gemgirl, sending you a ton of dust for tomorrow. Stay strong. All will go well!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

I'm having sympathy diarrhea just for her today. :errrr: :sick:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lots of dust to you Gemgirl!

I had to play on youtube a little bit ago and watch the original parrot sketch and the later SNL version they did. And then I had to watch the Ministry of Silly Walks. How they can do that stuff w/out laughing I will never in a million years understand. Helllooooo Polllly! bwhahahaha he smacks the cage and he's like oh see? he moved! hahaha

I used to watch Fawlty Towers w/my parents a long time ago too.

Uppy, you are a true friend. Nothing says Forever Friends than sympathy diarrhea.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

There's a Penguin on the Tellie!

First Pepperpot What's that on the tellevision then?
Second Pepperpot Looks like a penguin.
On the TV set there is indeed a penguin. It sits contendedly looking at them in a stuffed sort of way. There is nothing on the screen.
First Pepperpot No, no, no, I didn't mean what's on the television set, I meant what programme.
Second Pepperpot Oh.
The second pepperpot goes to the TV, switches it on and returns to her chair. The set takes a long time to warm up and produce a picture. During this pause the following conversation takes place:
Second Pepperpot It's funny that penguin being there innit? What's it doing there?
First Pepperpot Standing.
Second Pepperpot I can see that!
First Pepperpot If it lays an egg, it will fall down the back of the television set.
Second Pepperpot We'll have to watch that. Unless it's a male.
First Pepperpot Ooh, I never thought of that.
Second Pepperpot Yes, looks fairly butch.
First Pepperpot Per'aps it's from next door.
Second Pepperpot Penguins don't come from next door, they come from the Antarctic.
First Pepperpot Burma.
Second Pepperpot Why did say Burma?
First Pepperpot I panicked.
Second Pepperpot Oh. Perhaps it's from the zoo.
First Pepperpot Which zoo?
Second Pepperpot How should I know which zoo? I'm not Doctor bloody Bernowski.
First Pepperpot How does Doctor Bernowski know which zoo it came from?
Second Pepperpot He knows everything.
First Pepperpot Oooh, I wouldn't like that, that'd take all the mystery out of life. Anyway, if it came from the zoo, it would have 'property of the zoo' stamped on it.
Second Pepperpot No it wouldn't. They don't stamp animals 'property of the zoo'. You can't stamp a huge lion.
First Pepperpot They stamp them when they're small.
Second Pepperpot What happens when they moult?
First Pepperpot Lions don't moult.
Second Pepperpot No, but penguins do. There, I've run rings around you logically.
First Pepperpot Oh, intercourse the penguin.
On the TV screen there now appears an announcer.
TV Announcer It's just gone 8 o'clock and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explode.
The penguin on top of the set now explodes.
First Pepperpot How did he know that was going to happen?!
TV Announcer It was an inspired guess. And now...
Cut to picture of a shin.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results