shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Re: Getting older isn't so bad when you consider the alterna

Back from the endocrinologist and the results are in from my bloodwork and 24hr pee party:

My adrenals are normal and the tiny cyst they stumbled upon while doing my CAT scan back in September is a benign adrenal adenoma. The doctor said it is quite common and not to worry and no future testing is needed.

Thyroid and parathyroid are fine.

Vitamin D levels are also good - within the normal range, though on the lower level of normal. I take 1000 units of D3 per day with calcium (2 Viactic chews). He said it would be ok to take another 500 -1000 units a day since as we get older it becomes more difficult to synthesize and absorb vitamin D.

Friday is my gyno appt - I really hate going to the gynecologist. This is the one appt I would love to skip.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Soocool - sounds like good news on the test front - yay!

It was a beautiful day here in No. Oregon - clears skies and warmish (for Oregon) weather - YAY! Took my beautiful pups for a long walk and even got a couple of errands run.

Any ladies from the No.Vermont - So. Maryland area? What's it like there? My DH's next "assignment" may be in Washington DC, so we may be making the big move across the US :errrr: (I'll find out in about a month or so). I know we don't want to live in DC, but I'm not sure where to even look for rentals if we have to move. DH heard No. Virginia might be a place to look, but I don't even know where to start.

I'd love to say we'll still have two dogs, but reality tells me that may not be the case, so a huge yard is no longer so much of a necessity as it used to be, but we are definitely not apartment or crowded neighborhood dwellers. Any suggestions or warnings?

DH is not a "going out" social guy, so small ethnic restaurants are more on our list of things to do once in a while than "night life" kind of stuff.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

colorluvr said:
Soocool - sounds like good news on the test front - yay!

It was a beautiful day here in No. Oregon - clears skies and warmish (for Oregon) weather - YAY! Took my beautiful pups for a long walk and even got a couple of errands run.

Any ladies from the No.Vermont - So. Maryland area? What's it like there? My DH's next "assignment" may be in Washington DC, so we may be making the big move across the US :errrr: (I'll find out in about a month or so). I know we don't want to live in DC, but I'm not sure where to even look for rentals if we have to move. DH heard No. Virginia might be a place to look, but I don't even know where to start.

I'd love to say we'll still have two dogs, but reality tells me that may not be the case, so a huge yard is no longer so much of a necessity as it used to be, but we are definitely not apartment or crowded neighborhood dwellers. Any suggestions or warnings?

DH is not a "going out" social guy, so small ethnic restaurants are more on our list of things to do once in a while than "night life" kind of stuff.

Maryland would be another option. That is all I can offer unless you want to move in with me in SE PA . We can share our bling!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

:naughty:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

I love the cartoons, soocool. Your bloodwork sounds good :)) Stay well...

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Miserable rainy weather here today. DD didn't even want to drive in to school so I drove her.

But it is a great day to do laundry!

So I finally pulled out the cold weather outerwear and hung the coats in the mudroom and put our hats, gloves, and scarves in the cubbies. I guess I should pull out my winter boots and just keep them out as well. I even pulled out the dog's winter coat- a brown sherpa. He hates putting it on, but when it's freezing outside he shivers and doesn't want to go out. He will walk with the coat on, but he's not happy.

Ordered DD's birthday gift, an Apple iPod Touch 32 G - the latest one. Should arrive today. I am putting my Xmas list together and am happy that my sister and I decided to do a Pollyanna instead of buying everyone a gift. We'll pick the names on Thanksgiving. There is one requirement for the gift. It has to be something that the person will use in our vacation home. It should be interesting.

Like I said I got my turkey yesterday and this year for Thanksgiving it will be my DH and I, my sister and her DH, her younger son and my dad. DD was invited to her boyfriend''s for the holiday and my sister's middle son is spending it with his GF and the oldest and his wife are spending it with her family and everyone is coming over here later for a late dessert. We are going to eat around 2pm since dad still tires easily and I am totally useless after 6pm.

This year I bought a precooked turkey. I bought one earlier in the year when I was recuperating and did not want to fuss and it was surprsingly very good. So I though why not. It will be so much easier.

I hope everyone is having a good day. I think of you gals often!

JillyC

Shiny_Rock

Soocool, how do you do a pre-cooked turkey? I know, of course, in the oven, but do you still stuff it? Does it take long to reheat, and how do you keep from drying it out? I've bought the pre-cooked chickens from the grocery store and find that they reheat well, but they're pretty small compared to a turkey. It sounds like an interesting idea.....hmmm.....

It's cold and rainy here too, today. But we do need the rain, been pretty dry. Now begins the crappy part of Fall, and my mood today reflects it!

soocool

Ideal_Rock

JillyC|1288887608| said:
Soocool, how do you do a pre-cooked turkey? I know, of course, in the oven, but do you still stuff it? Does it take long to reheat, and how do you keep from drying it out? I've bought the pre-cooked chickens from the grocery store and find that they reheat well, but they're pretty small compared to a turkey. It sounds like an interesting idea.....hmmm.....

It's cold and rainy here too, today. But we do need the rain, been pretty dry. Now begins the crappy part of Fall, and my mood today reflects it!

I bought a Honeysuckle White oven roasted whole turkey( 10 lbs) http://www.honeysucklewhite.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product_category_id=1&product_id=522e . I made this earlier in the year. It took about 1.5 to 2 hours to reheat. I know that Butterball also makes one, but the store only had smoked and I prefer oven roasted.
Everyone said it was great and I have to agree, not dry at all. I did thaw it first before reheating, though you don't have to(it will just take longer to reheat) And as usual I made turkey soup from the carcass.

I have never stuffed a turkey and my mom never did either. I make my stuffing separately.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

May I ask for minor dust that I didn't make the huge mistake I think I did? I feel so stupid!!! I purchased this ring off ebay with this description:
Here is a Lady's Fashion Diamond Engagement Thick Ring. At the center you are looking at a one Gorgeous Round Brilliant that is 0.76Ct G Color ( Near Colorless ) VS1 Clarity Diamond, Stunning stone. On the sides of the center stone you are looking at Natural Round Brilliant Diamonds that is another 0.18Ct of the same color and clarity as the center stone. The center stone is a beauty is shines and talks to you with beauty. The ring is a nice thick ring that is 5.4mm and weighs 6.5 grams. Currently a size 7 which can be sized for FREE upon request, hallmarked 14kt. The picture does not show this rings true beauty and it makes it look yellow, it is 100% White Gold and she will love it. If you are in the market looking for something unusual to hand her, and something that nobody has , she will kiss you two times for this one!

So, I got it, loved it, took it to the jeweler to be sized up. This cost me $200 because it's an etoile heavy setting. I got it today and I asked them the diamond weight, because I had asked them to weigh it when they took it out for sizing. Well, they didn't do that but the SA took the ring to the back and told me the bench guy says it is .54ct! She said I could come back when their expert diamond guy is in to be sure. I cannot believe it though. I measured it myself and it seemed close to 5.9mm or 6mm on just a regular ruler. I know that is not exact enough, but I mistakenly thought that was a good enough indication when I saw it and took it to be sized. I've emailed DH who is out of town. So here I sit having sized the ring before having had it appraised! Argh! I had thought this would be simple. If it is indeed .54 ct I don't know what recourse I have with the seller now (they are a 100% positive ebay power seller though). I really wanted a .75ct, so this is a really hard situation. Anyway, had to vent. Nothing I can do until I can get it appraised I guess. :(sad Did I mention how much my DH hates ebay already?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

lyra,
Best of luck on the ring, I haven't bought from ebay... If it was misrepresented then don't you have the right to get a refund?? I would wait to get it appraised and then email the seller, and work something out??

I am getting used to my new "life". My friends have been very supportive, but find I don't discuss this disorder much with family... DD is working with a great guy who is in the end stages of ALS... So I keep a lot to myself. I am thankful for PS and for the support group I found online.

I am not here as much, but think of you all...

Wishing you all the best going forward during the busy holiday season ahead. :wavey:

Thanksgiving we will be in FLA, and no I don't have to cook. I am so psyched. I guess there are some + to being ill.... LOL!!!

xx

Lisa

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for your thoughts Lisa. I hope you have better days.

I think I understand what the SA did. I asked her for the weight of the stone, and she had them weigh *the ring*. It is supposed to be 5.4 grams. So she misunderstood and took it to mean .54 carats. Doh!! I took it by another store and they guessed it was around .80ct, so I'm sure it's fine. I'm awaiting my appraisal appt. on Nov. 20th. That was the soonest I could get with an independent guy. Whew! Will see then what's what. :rolleyes:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

lyra|1288923243|2755471 said:
I think I understand what the SA did. I asked her for the weight of the stone, and she had them weigh *the ring*. It is supposed to be 5.4 grams. So she misunderstood and took it to mean .54 carats. Doh!! I took it by another store and they guessed it was around .80ct, so I'm sure it's fine. I'm awaiting my appraisal appt. on Nov. 20th. That was the soonest I could get with an independent guy. Whew! Will see then what's what. :rolleyes:

Best of luck with this and YAY that it was a misunderstanding!

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Lyra, glad to hear that it was only a misunderstanding. Will you be posting pics?

Had my pap smear today. Glad that is over!

Went to TJ Max before my doctor's appointment today and bought 2 Caphalon pots that I needed. What a steal! I need to go there more often. They had some knit tops and scarves that I wanted to try on but I went there before my doctor's appt and only had 30 minutes to shop.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Pardon me (blushing) , but I just went to the bathroom and wiped some blood. I had a pap smear today. Should I be concerned? (in menopause for past 5 years)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1288920532|2755445 said:
lyra,
Best of luck on the ring, I haven't bought from ebay... If it was misrepresented then don't you have the right to get a refund?? I would wait to get it appraised and then email the seller, and work something out??

I am getting used to my new "life". My friends have been very supportive, but find I don't discuss this disorder much with family... DD is working with a great guy who is in the end stages of ALS... So I keep a lot to myself. I am thankful for PS and for the support group I found online.

Wishing you all the best going forward during the busy holiday season ahead. :wavey:

Thanksgiving we will be in FLA, and no I don't have to cook. I am so psyched. I guess there are some + to being ill.... LOL!!!

xx

Lisa

Lord. ALS. You've got so much on your own plates, and then to to be around THAT heartache. How well I understand THAT particular "drawing in". I'm so sorry for all you guys are going through....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

soocool|1288989427|2756167 said:
Pardon me (blushing) , but I just went to the bathroom and wiped some blood. I had a pap smear today. Should I be concerned? (in menopause for past 5 years)

Nope. Fairly common. Just relax and wait for the results. :)

soocool

Ideal_Rock

ksinger|1288991152|2756192 said:
soocool|1288989427|2756167 said:

Nope. Fairly common. Just relax and wait for the results. :)

Thanks Ksinger! I hate the gynecologist - not him personally, just generally.

Slept like a baby! Can't wait for that extra hour tonight. Sleeping in!!!! DH made Belgian waffles this morning and I am freezing the extras to eat during the week. It is almost 10 am here and I still am not dressed. It feels so nice to be able to just sit back and relax for a couple of hours.

Hope all you lovely ladies have an enjoyable and pain free weekend!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Having one BFF's dad die is one thing, but another this morning, too much. ;(

This one is tougher as my BFF was an amazing care giver and know this loss is soooo hard for her. Her Mom died suddenly gosh 4 years ago?? And she's been taking care of her dad with such excellent care ever since... She's as big as a minute, and know what a huge loss this is... II just let her talk, and said you were amazing.. This will take time, as she knows what I went through with Nanny and was there for me...

I know this is about getting older and ourselves... But I imagine many of us are care takers as well??

Let me know if I need to start another thread for this subject.. Don't want to hijack yours... ;))

JillyC

Shiny_Rock

Lisa, hope your friend finds lots of support.

I think you should start another thread. There may be lots of PS'ers that are caretakers that may not visit this thread.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

JillyC|1289079528|2757047 said:

I think you should start another thread. There may be lots of PS'ers that are caretakers that may not visit this thread.

There was a caretaker thread, it went no where... The people that were caretakers have left PS...

Sad but true.

Moving on.,

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Lisa, friends like will help her navigate the hard times. Bless you both!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1289080945|2757062 said:
JillyC|1289079528|2757047 said:

There was a caretaker thread, it went no where... The people that were caretakers have left PS...

Sad but true.

Moving on.,

I remember that thread. I think it started after my mom died, so I was done already. That and at that time, it was still so raw and recent, I was in hiding from thinking about it too much and avoided that thread for that reason. Besides, the vast majority of PS'ers aren't yet at the caretaker stage yet.

Gah...such sad topics. It is well we don't have a genuine visceral understanding of what is to come, while we are young, isn't it? Ignorance is not only bliss, it's absolutely necessary to live your life with unalloyed joy, at least for a while. Bittersweet comes all too soon....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gah...such sad topics. It is well we don't have a genuine visceral understanding of what is to come, while we are young, isn't it? Ignorance is not only bliss, it's absolutely necessary to live your life with unalloyed joy, at least for a while. Bittersweet comes all too soon....

That is so true. They say aging isn't for sissies and I couldn't agree more. You have to rejoice in the happiness as much as possible to be able to survive the sadness and tragedy that befalls us all eventually. You just have to hope for more sweet times than not and enjoy life for all the good it has to offer and support each other through the bad. It is part of the cycle of life.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger|1289139208|2757427 said:
It is well we don't have a genuine visceral understanding of what is to come, while we are young, isn't it? Ignorance is not only bliss, it's absolutely necessary to live your life with unalloyed joy, at least for a while. Bittersweet comes all too soon....

This is so very true, so well said. I've had big losses every decade of my life, so I think I came upon this truth a little sooner than some, but the knowing is also liberating in a way, isn't it?

Lisa, I'm so sorry for all the losses you've had this year. Hugs to you.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

ksinger|1289139208|2757427 said:
I remember that thread. I think it started after my mom died, so I was done already. That and at that time, it was still so raw and recent, I was in hiding from thinking about it too much and avoided that thread for that reason. Besides, the vast majority of PS'ers aren't yet at the caretaker stage yet.

Having just lost my mom, I have to agree, it's still too raw and my emotions are all over the place. I can't avoid the topic, as I am the one that is dealing with all of the legal stuff of her trust, ongoing bill paying, etc. on her rental. My sis and I are co-trustees, but I am more of the "business" end of the duo. The rental has tenants with a lease, and with the market the way it is, I doubt we would get much more than is owed on it right now, so we have decided to leave things as they are, but that means I am engulfed in "mom's" stuff on a weekly basis and will be for the forseeable future.

I was an intermittent caregiver...(one or two weeks at a time) at her home when she was too ill to take care of herself over the past several years, and my sis was the ultimate caregiver (for about 6 weeks) after we moved her to my sis's house, so we both have been through it, but under completely different circumstances. My sister admitted that she is still in emotional "hiding" and hasn't really gotten back to her normal schedule of life, even though it's been almost a month.

It's nice to be able to come on this thread and receive support, but it's also nice to be able to read all of the happy posts and the funny posts also. I, for one, would not be able to even read a thread solely based on the subject.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's good news on your blood work and pee party soocool!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra,

xx

Lisa

That's OK Kaleigh, you pop in whenever you can. We'll be here :wavey: ! I wonder what Thanksgiving time will be like in Florida? I mean weather-wise. Being a New Yorker, I'm used to watching the nice people walking in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade either a)
freezing their little butts off or b) freezing and being stuck in either cold rain or snow flurries. It's usually seasonally cold here.

soocool

Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh, hang in there sweetie! As we get older we can't help but go through this. It comes with getting older and I no longer question it, but have learned to accept it. I have friends who passed before their parents and still call the parents once a week to see how they are doing. The spouse of one of my friends is caregiver to his in laws and he still works fulltime. I don't know how he does it.

I spent the day with my dad and I am exhausted. He is going to my sister's tomorrow. I brought him clean clothes and took his dirty ones home to launder and other stuff he has accumulated over the past 4+ weeks. It was like he was nesting in rehab. He wouldn't even let me throw out a piece of paper, in case it has important info on it. But I don't argue with dad. I smiled and gave him a kiss and tossed everything into the car. He is so happy to be leaving. He said he is sick and tired of listening to every complain. It was giving him a "haddock".

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Aw :(sad Kaleigh, I'm sorry for your loss and your friends loss as well.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

gemgirl|1289158472|2757674 said:
lyra,

xx

Lisa

That's OK Kaleigh, you pop in whenever you can. We'll be here :wavey: ! I wonder what Thanksgiving time will be like in Florida? I mean weather-wise. Being a New Yorker, I'm used to watching the nice people walking in the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade either a)
freezing their little butts off or b) freezing and being stuck in either cold rain or snow flurries. It's usually seasonally cold here.

I know the answer to the Florida question! :wavey:

If we're lucky, it won't be 85 or more. If we're lucky, it won't be below 60. It will be sunny, as it is 90% of the time here, and the kitchen will be stifling by the time the turkey is done. It will probably be humid, regardless of the temperature, so you can't make those little oven rolls until the last minute because they will go stale. The salad will be totally limp if it's not in the fridge. The windows and patio doors will probably be wide open.

Our area will probably not see any real cold (below 45) until December/January. Then only for a couple of nights. But for us 60 degrees means it's a fireplace night! Brrrr! Hot chocolate time! Seriously, you go to the little market here and the hot chocolate is sold out when it hits 60. And all the wax fireplace logs are gone, too. We don't have woodpiles, because they would be full of termites in about a minute. :D

I am very smug during the winter. :bigsmile:

Just don't talk to me in July or August. That's when I am deeply depressed, because the heat index is over 100 again, mostly because of the humidity and I can't quite catch my breath when I walk to the mailbox. The water really does replace the oxygen in the air. The lawn needs to be mowed twice a week, at least. When it rains, it's like someone is dumping buckets. It's like driving through a carwash. Sometimes we have to pull over on the side of the road, because we can't see the car in front of us (if you ever get caught in one of these down here, put your flashers on so people can see you). But Florida is the only place I've ever been where it will be pouring in the front yard and dry as a bone in the back yard, at the same time. The drops seem to get smaller as you head to the back yard until there are no more drops. One time in our town it rained 6 inches in 45 minutes. I couldn't see out the windows of the house.

And then there's the mosquitoes . . . :shock:

(I changed the subject, since I got the feeling everybody needed a little cheering up . . . :praise: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results