shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a VA Driver''s License?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
I''m from Maryland and I''m moving to Northern Virginia permanently so I''m getting a VA driver''s license. Has anyone else here done this? Do they make you retake the test? Can you do it online? I''m also going to be changing my name, so I''ll have to figure out how to do that adjustment to. Any tips/advice/suggestions?

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that you have to take a vision test, but are not required to take the written test if you have a current, valid licence in another state. You will also be required to retitle your car and have it inspected. I think you have 30 days to do all of this. Just found this site: www.dmv.state.va.us.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Don''t forget proof of residency. VA is a pain in the butt to get a license in. Definitely check online to make sure you have all your documents in order, otherwise...
emangry.gif

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Princesss! I''ve heard it can be a PITA.

It''s funny, as a MD teen I always saw my NoVA friends flying through their easier (in comparison to MD''s permit vs. license rules, class requirements, etc.) driver''s license requirements and grumbled. It makes me wonder if it''s easier to get a license as a new driver in VA than to get one as a pre-licensed driver.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Also, VA has Personal Property Tax on vehicles, so you will need to register for that and you get a decal each year once you''ve paid your bill. It''s the fall, I think. I moved to MD from VA about 4 years ago.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It probably is, but a lot of these are post-9/11 requirements. Being one of the states that provided licenses to the terrorist, VA tightened their laws about what it takes to get a license. (Florida, the other state that provided licenses, is as easy as ever.) It''s definitely tough to prove that you are who you say you are and you live where you say you live, but once you do it''s easy peasy.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Sumbride, thanks for the decal reminder! I''m definitely not looking forward to the yearly inpections (fun fun!) but every state/area has its ups and downs.

Princesss, the post-9/11 thing explains it. Thanks!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I actually kind of appreciate the yearly safety inspections. MD doesn''t have them, and I always wonder if the person coming up behind me knows if their brakes work or not. Of course, I used to go to a service station really close to my apartment and the guy doing the inspections lived on my floor and was always really efficient. I think he used to bump other people so I could go first. I never complained about it and they never seemed to notice.
2.gif
It was a little awkward when he told me the woman he lived with wasn''t his wife after he asked me out. I always wanted to mention it to her when I saw her in the hall.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 12:48:59 PM
Author: sumbride
I actually kind of appreciate the yearly safety inspections. MD doesn''t have them, and I always wonder if the person coming up behind me knows if their brakes work or not. Of course, I used to go to a service station really close to my apartment and the guy doing the inspections lived on my floor and was always really efficient. I think he used to bump other people so I could go first. I never complained about it and they never seemed to notice.
2.gif
It was a little awkward when he told me the woman he lived with wasn''t his wife after he asked me out. I always wanted to mention it to her when I saw her in the hall.
I agree with the reasoning for the inspections. You see, it''s just that I''m lazy. Heehee! I don''t feel like waiting in line for the mechanic, then waiting for the mechanic to inspect my car just so he can tell me that my 2008 vehicle is A-OK. Long story short: I''m a whiney Marylander.
28.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well I also obtained a Virginia driver''s license and it took me forever to do! (I moved to Virginia from Connecticut in 2004 and, although I registered all my vehicles immediately, I continued to use my unexpired Connecticut driver''s license for months if not years!)

I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles (obviously) since I was registering my cars, but they wouldn''t allow me to register myself due to all th post 9/11 rigamarole they had decided to put people through. Being a good citizen who had come there with reams of documents and having been turned away I basically told Virginia (by my actions, not by my language) to go screw themselves. If they needed my marriage license to see my change of name from my birth certificate they were just going to have to wait until my next visit to my Connecticut safe deposit box. And I wasn''t rushing there. I had a valid Connecticut driver''s license-valid for a few more years-and I just used it!

I''ve been told here here that the difference between Yankees and damn Yankees is that damn Yankees stay. I''m one stubborn Yankee that thumbed my nose at Virginia whenever I could and returned home to civilization as soon as it was humanly possible...even though my husband is still living in Virginia.

(The only one little problem is that although I talk big, I''m typing this on a computer in Virginia. I may not live here anymore, but my house is still here ;-).) Sorry. I didn''t know that a question about a license was going to start an anti-Virginia rant!

Deb
34.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
love it AGBF!

I lived in VA for 2 years before I gave up my Texas license. I got pulled over for speeding and though he didn''t give me a speeding ticket, he did give me a ticket for not having a VA license. So I had to get one and go to court to present it to get out of the fine. I did. And I''m still annoyed by it even though it was seven years ago!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Check you states DMV (or whatever it is called there)...they should have all the...the hardest part is making sure you have all your documents at teh same time...I never did ...so I still go by my maiden name

Usually you will need ID (drivers license)
Birth Certificarte (original or certified version)
Passport may work (since you need your original birth Cert to get one)...one state (WV)wouldn''t take my Passport...one did (LA)
Marriage License (original or certified copy)
$$$$$

Best of Luck

I have to change mine again
8.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf

That is the link for the documents you need to bring with you. There are several things but I don''t remember it being a difficult process.

I''ve lived in several states (including VA) and although VA is sometimes a little stricter than others I think that overall it results in a better quality of life for it''s residents. There is a reason that VA has been named the best managed state (actually it''s a commonwealth) in the nation.

I was once driving down the interstate in TN (which does not require any sort of car inspection) and the truck in front of me (TN tags) suddenly lost it''s bumper which came flying down the interstate towards my car. It was then and there that I became forever thankful for the inspection stickers that VA requires... sure it''s a PITA to go and get it every year but at least it reduces the numbers of vehicles like that which make the roads unsafe for all of us.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think, but don't quote me on this, that you need to change your name with Social Security before you can change your driver's license etc. (or was that just for my passport?), but after that it's pretty easy.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=315

You should just need your marriage license and a photo ID with your maiden name on it.

Your proof of residency for the DMV can be your lease or bill with your address on it in your name, at least this was the case six years ago.

OK, I just looked it up, and I think you can make the name change at the DMV just with your marriage license (the social security thing must have been for my passport):

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/records/update_add.asp

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I'm one to ask as I lazily waited until 19 to get a learner's and then 20 to get a driver's license. So I had to do everything as an adult and not as a teenager which is easier..no driver's ed behind the wheel for me.
20.gif
You are going to need lots of ID. Bring your Social security card, birth certificate, bill at your new address (water bill, etc.) and/or a paystub going to that address. If you have a passport it might be best to bring it just in case. I think that should be enough, but look through the requirements online and follow them by heart. Try to find the not busy DMV in the area (haha like that exists in VA..it kind of does..sometimes..
20.gif
) and try to find a DMV that has a dedicated driver's test person. They tend to be a bit more polite. Oh and NoVA has emissions inspections.

ETA: In spite of the hassle (which it is a ton of hassle and lines, I still love my state..and I most definitely love the inspection requirement as well. I have to second that.
5.gif
So yaaaay welcome to VA!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Great, I''m finding all of these posters in VA *after* I left!

Sarah, do you mind me asking where in VA you''re from/go to school?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Hey Princess! I am sorry to see ya go.
39.gif
I am from central VA. For some reason I don''t really ever talk about where I go to school..not sure why I don''t feel comfortable doing it. But I started at a really small private college and now I''m at one of the larger universities.
4.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2008 3:36:02 PM
Author: applequeen

I''ve lived in several states (including VA) and although VA is sometimes a little stricter than others I think that overall it results in a better quality of life for it''s residents. There is a reason that VA has been named the best managed state (actually it''s a commonwealth) in the nation.

Whoever named it a well managed state, let alone the best managed state, has to have his head examined! Northern Virginia is incredibly overpopulated for its road system. I live near the Georgetown Pike, a two lane "Virginia by-way" that is choked with traffic for hours before and after every rush hour so that residents of my neighborhood cannot venture out on normal errands during those hours. I found life here to be insane!

The county school system (rather than one run by towns) allows for further insanity as students get moved all over huge counties to go to school far from home.

Deborah
34.gif

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:13:12 AM
Author: AGBF

Whoever named it a well managed state, let alone the best managed state, has to have his head examined! Northern Virginia is incredibly overpopulated for its road system. I live near the Georgetown Pike, a two lane ''Virginia by-way'' that is choked with traffic for hours before and after every rush hour so that residents of my neighborhood cannot venture out on normal errands during those hours. I found life here to be insane!

The county school system (rather than one run by towns) allows for further insanity as students get moved all over huge counties to go to school far from home.

Deborah
34.gif
Please remember that there is a great deal more to VA than just Northern Virginia. I live in a rural part of it and the quality of life here is wonderful.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 9:27:19 AM
Date: 8/8/2008 8:13:12 AM

Author: AGBF

Whoever named it a well managed state, let alone the best managed state, has to have his head examined! Northern Virginia is incredibly overpopulated for its road system. I live near the Georgetown Pike, a two lane ''Virginia by-way'' that is choked with traffic for hours before and after every rush hour so that residents of my neighborhood cannot venture out on normal errands during those hours. I found life here to be insane!

Deborah

34.gif

Please remember that there is a great deal more to VA than just Northern Virginia. I live in a rural part of it and the quality of life here is wonderful.

HUGE ditto.
4.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am well aware that there is more to Virginia than northern Virginia. When some genius is running through the states deciding which are the best managed, he had better not forget northern Virginia is a part of Virginia, however. In fact, it accounts for a good part of the population of Virginia now and its political power is increasing, even making it possible that Virginia could go Democratic in a Presidential election. This part of Virginia grew far too much too fast and the infrastructure cannot support it. The roads cannot support it. And now developers farther out from here (Fairfax County) are making sure that roads farther out from here, rather than here, are widened so that it will support further development in areas they want to develop (like outer Loudoun County).

Deborah
34.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 12:32:03 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Hey Princess! I am sorry to see ya go.
39.gif
I am from central VA. For some reason I don''t really ever talk about where I go to school..not sure why I don''t feel comfortable doing it. But I started at a really small private college and now I''m at one of the larger universities.
4.gif
Gotcha, Sarah! I went to school in VA and BF is from there, and being out here in NC it''s nice to be connected in even a tiny way to where I''m comfortable. Anyways, I''m sure I''ll be in VA quite a bit over the next year, so I''ll keep an eye out for any GTGs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results