shape
carat
color
clarity

Get ready for those home heating bills!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
For those of us in the colder climates - get ready for some big utility bills this winter...natural gas prices are expected to be 30-50% higher this winter.
32.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
icekid, unless your landlord is a kind hearted relative or you live in a rent control area or you have a lease that hasn''t yet expired and defaulted to a month-to-month basis, i''m betting your rent will go up. there is no way a landlord [who is after all out to make $$$ not lose it] is going to willingly eat those kinds of costs.

peace, movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we don''t live in a ''cold'' climate but i''m a wuss about cold so we normally keep our heater on 78 or so for the winter..if we don''t use it, it''ll drop to 62 or so. anyhow...Greg is already telling me i better layer up so we don''t have quite such a large bill this winter. i said, wait *I* pay the heating bill.
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 8:04:31 PM
Author: movie zombie
icekid, unless your landlord is a kind hearted relative or you live in a rent control area or you have a lease that hasn''t yet expired and defaulted to a month-to-month basis, i''m betting your rent will go up. there is no way a landlord [who is after all out to make $$$ not lose it] is going to willingly eat those kinds of costs.

peace, movie zombie
we have a year to year lease, so they can''t change what they''re charging in the middle of the year. We have 15 ft ceilings too, so heat would be a big ouch!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 12:13:59 PM
Author: Mara
we don''t live in a ''cold'' climate but i''m a wuss about cold so we normally keep our heater on 78 or so for the winter..if we don''t use it, it''ll drop to 62 or so. anyhow...Greg is already telling me i better layer up so we don''t have quite such a large bill this winter. i said, wait *I* pay the heating bill.
31.gif
78?!?!?!?! Mara, you would DIE in my house. I live in NJ - last winter we had days that were below zero (brrrrrr!!) with a layer of snow/ice on the ground, and our heat never went above 72. My mom keeps the house a cool 68-70 degrees year round. Sweatshirts are a must during the summer
9.gif

I can''t believe they expect up to a 50% increase. It doesn''t make me feel good about moving to my own place for the first time.
15.gif
38.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
enjoy that lease, ice kid!

peace, movie zombie

njc

Brilliant_Rock
50% higher sounds nice. I heard on the TV they could go up by as much as 75%!

We''ve ever had the heat on in our townhouse because we bought in spring when it was fairly warm. Should be interesting... might end up getting those new windows sooner rather than later!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heee Heee I am a tropical child I guess. Greg is always hot and I am always cold.

He says ''put some socks on, no wonder your feet are cold!'' ... I say ''socks are for OUTSIDE the house''. Ahh, the joys of battling over the thermo. I''m so happy I pay the utility bills, at least I get the final say.
31.gif

My dad keeps their house at 70 and they all run around like little snow bunnies. I hate having to wear tons of clothes in the house..it seems so odd! I do turn it down at night to 74 or so and we have alot of down stuff on our bed (which he also hates..hehee). I can still use our down comforter for winter in the SUMMER...but this year I felt bad for Greg so I capitulated and bought a thinner down ''blanket'' which worked quite well and I just had another throw blanket on my side of the bed as well.
2.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
We live in Illinois, so it gets preeeety cold in the winter! I HATE being cold, I would much rather be hot. The past couple of winters we have placed plastic over the windows on the inside of the house. You can buy the little kits at menards or Home depot, I''m not sure how much they are, but I dont think they are too pricey. But it helps a ton if you have bad insulation in your home, which we do. Keeps the heating down and the costs. That really sucks about the costs going up though
15.gif
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results