shape
carat
color
clarity

General ettiquette at Pampered Chef type parties

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 7:27:47 PM
Author: Skippy123
Oh boy, I got invited to a jewelry party, I am torn now since PS I am a jewelry snob (no cheapie stuff) haha; it is my cousins party. I might just go and buy a little something.
19.gif
I''ve been to two jewelry parties now, and have two nice pair of inexpensive sterling silver earrings...i wear them when I don''t want to whip out the diamonds!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

The one and only party I attended was hosted by my former co-worker. Now mind you, I had never been to one before (it was for candles), but she was at least honest about it by giving me a brief synopsis. So, I told my mom about it and she was up for it. Granted, my co-worker provided food and drinks, but her home was packed with people. Some were family and others were friends, but oh my gosh, I felt like a frigging sardine in her living room. She told me that it would be a small group of people, but 30 people? I guess it would not have been so bad, if her home could have handled it. Overall, many products offered really were not me, but I managed to find one candleholder I liked and bought a box of candles to go with it. My mom bought a couple of items + candles, but we really were not big spenders that night (I might have spent $50 and my mom nearly $75). I think my co-worker expected that we would have bought more, but I really was just not into it as much as she was hoping. I would have felt guilty, but I did not eat much of her food and did not have any drinks. My intention going into the party was not to be cheap, it was more of the fact that most of the stuff was not my style. Needless to say, I was not invited the next time she was hosting, which was totally fine with me! :)

By now, I think people attending these parties probably have a good idea that they should be expected to go with the intention to shop. However, I think it is important that for the person inviting guests to explain that the event is for people who are interested in the product and have an interest in purchasing. It is a 2-way street IMHO. I was a bit dismayed that I was not able to research the products offered prior to the party, otherwise I might have been able to avoid being in an uncomfortable situation. It would have been nice for my co-worker to at least bring me a past catalog to thumb through, but that might go against the point of having these types of events I suppose.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2008 3:59:39 AM
Author: omieluv

By now, I think people attending these parties probably have a good idea that they should be expected to go with the intention to shop. However, I think it is important that for the person inviting guests to explain that the event is for people who are interested in the product and have an interest in purchasing. It is a 2-way street IMHO. I was a bit dismayed that I was not able to research the products offered prior to the party, otherwise I might have been able to avoid being in an uncomfortable situation. It would have been nice for my co-worker to at least bring me a past catalog to thumb through, but that might go against the point of having these types of events I suppose.
The brand highlighted at that party was a brand I hadn''t even heard of before and it''s not fair that a host feels I should be shelling out big bucks based on the ONE first-time exposure to a brand. Also, many times I have "intentions" to shop when I go to the mall, but not always do I leave with bags in hand. That''s just life and I won''t buy a $40 face wash from a brand that is completely foreign to me, but I will buy one from a trusted Nordstrom brand. And, also, as DF noted, once you buy from one of these parties, exchanges are awkward. People get offended too easily.

But, on a good note. Today I visited Sephora and picked up one of my favorite creams by Bliss. Life is joyful and skin is glowing after all
2.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
I recently signed up as a consultant for one of these companies and am having my first show this weekend. I have to say that I would NEVER want anyone to feel like they wouldn''t be my friend anymore if they didn''t buy something or that I would think less of them or whatever. Everyone has a different financial situation, and you can''t make any assumptions about someone else''s business. Also, if you wanted to just come to my party to hang out, that''s perfectly fine with me. I agree that if these people think less of you for not purchasing something, then you don''t really want to be friends with them anyway. If it wasn''t this party, something else would have eventually come up that would have shown their true colors - it was just a matter of time.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 11:02:50 AM
Author: MC
Vesper - your parties sound fabulous! Can I come to one? lol
2.gif
Seriously, your description is awesome and there is NO doubt, had there been champagne, facials, etc., I''d have enjoyed and purchased products. I''m not a person who''s out to ''use'' anyone and what you described was ENTIRELY different from what I went to. . .

*** The party, was, and I kid you not, the rep sitting two feet from me, staring me in the face and blabbing on and on like a used car salesman, with all the details of her products without even letting me ask questions. She was force feeding me product info at record speed, without feeding me any real food (lol). They didn''t even serve food! (I''m bolding that only because I haven''t had breakfast and am starving right now. lol)

Had I arrived there and discovered a luxurious fan-fare, I would have dived right into the catalogue and picked out a few great scrubs or handcreams! But, alas, no drinks, food, and no pampering.
Wow, that sounds awful! I couldn''t imagine holding people hostage without even a plate of cookies or something, especially for people coming from work or something. I''m sorry that you had such an awful experience, but I actually have heard of a lot of that awful type of gathering, so I know it''s not unusual in the shopping party business, and party of the reason that we (sometimes deservedly) get a bad rap. Anytime you feel like a facial, just let me know! ;-)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 11:14:13 AM
Author: Haven
Vesper--As long as the expectation is CLEAR that it isn''t really a party, it''s a shopping experience, then I suppose I wouldn''t have a problem with being expected to purchase something. I think the hostess in me finds the term ''party'' offensive, because it isn''t a party if you expect people to PAY in some way for attending.

Your gatherings sound like a lot of fun, and I definitely agree that I''d be more interested in purchasing something if the products were being used and demonstrated at the event, and if I was being wined and dined, so to speak.

I went to a bachelorette party where they had an adult toy ''party'' before we all went out. This could have been a lot of fun, but instead the saleswoman was very stiff (oh dear, no pun intended) and she held up each product, explained its function and use, and passed it around the circle. There were over 20 girls there and we were laughing (and drinking) and trying to have a good time, and she kept pausing and staring us down when we spoke or giggled. (I felt like I was in school.) It was so not fun. THEN, she called each of us up to a room individually and pressured us to purchase something for the bride, at the very least, from a ''wish list'' that she created before the party. She told me it was my ''obligation as a guest at this party to at least buy something for the bride.'' Ummm--I had just spent over $60 at Victoria''s Secret for the bride, I did not know this toy ''party'' was planned, and I didn''t like the rep''s attitude. Needless to say I politely declined.
I have never felt more uncomfortable in my life.
Wow, that party sounds really bad too - that is so tacky about the "wish list" and obligation to buy ANOTHER gift from the one you had already picked on your own - I don''t blame you for being upset, that totally would have annoyed me too.

You know what, I think you''re right about the term "party" too - even if we call it a "Shopping party," there''s still not something not quite right about it - I do love your term "spa & shopping experience" though, and I may use that on my next invite! ;-)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 9:38:20 PM
Author: swingirl
How can you be expected to buy when you don''t know what is offered until you get there? And if you decide after seeing the products that you don''t like them why should you feel badly for not buying anything?
EXACTLY!!!! You have to decide in ADVANCE if you''re inclined to buy?? Say WHA?? I''m *so* not into peer pressure. The more pressure there is to buy the more I bristle & dig in. Actually had to attend one of these at my (then future) MIL was hosting at her mom''s house. I was the only person not to buy anything. But it was catch-22 yanno? I *had* to attend because my MIL wanted me to meet her work friends ... yet I was on a serious budget at the time with the wedding approaching and NO WAY was I gonna spend out of guilt? Pressure? Embarrassment? I did "ooh & ahh" over things & gossip with my GMIL about what I *would* choose if I was to buy ... and, whaddya know ... my MIL gave me a lovely item after the fact.
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes they give out catalogs prior to the party so you can preshop. I know what Tupperware has to offer and I know what some other companies have to offer, and I can look on line and see, prior to the event, that there is anything of interest to me. If not, I can decline.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I loathe these parties. Sure some of the companies have good products (creative memories adhesive tape roller thingie & cutters) But truly for the most part, if I want makeup, I go to Nordstrom or Sephora where the return/exchange policy is fabulous & I have OPTIONS. I''m a MAC, Stila & Bobbi Brown girl for makeup, Clinique, Philosophy, and Oil of Olay for skincare. Oh and Neutrogena for sunblock.

I LIKE shopping in the MALL for my makeup.

As far as housewares go, I can hit Ikea, Tuesday Morning, Williams Sonoma, etc & get what I want on sale, cheaper or whatever. It sems like all my friends are selling something. Clothing, makeup, candles, and its so aggressive. I decline any and all invites. I used to get hit up to sell the stuff & folks now leave me alone. I have so many problems with that business model & don''t believe in it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not in love either, I much prefer the mall for make up and the return issue is vital.

I really could never do one of them, I just do not have the personality to do it, but I occasionally do not mind attending one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results