shape
carat
color
clarity

gdiapers, anyone use them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if these have been talked about on here before so I will start a thread about ''em.
Gdiapers are a ''green'' diapering solution. They are a cloth outer shell that have a buttoned-in plastic liner to keep it dry. Then there are inserts that you stick in them where the baby wets/poops.
the cool thing is: the inserts are: flushable, compostable and decompose in about 50 days if you throw em out. check it out: www.gdiapers.com

we just started using them a few weeks ago on our 7 week old girl and I love them!

so, does anyone else use them???

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We talked about them in the preggo thread WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY back when. The only negative reviews was the price. But that is awesome you are using and enjoying them. The covers are SO cute!

pavelover

Brilliant_Rock
oh Sophie I am glad you hear a real life review of the gdiapers. I think I wanna try them. I did see the prices on line, but out of curiosity, what did you have to spend to get started and what do you forsee spending per week if you don''t mind? I know green is not always cheap but I would like to try it if I can. I was thinking of cloth maybe too but I don''t know. Or a split, like cloth at home and pampers on the road or for travel? thanks for the info!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
We have talked about using them for our daughter once she is born. I love that you can flush or compost them. I am happy to hear you like them. Have you had any problems with blow outs?

If we use them, we will probably just do so at home, as they recommend that you keep a cover prefilled with the disposable insert for changes and that would take up too much room in a diaper bag. Also, I can just imagine the looks the daycare workers would give me when I tried to explain how to use them.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
A local supplier in my city is supposed to be getting them soon (i am in a relatively small town and no one carries them)--i plan on trying them. I currently use Fuzzi bunz cloth diapers and while i like them, i think the g diaper would be a good compromise b/w environmentally friendl(ier) and convenient.

I''ll re-post a review when i get a hold of some.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely want to try them out for trips. We''re going to attempt to use cloth as much as possible (diaper service), but I''m glad to hear of real-life reviews of them.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
oooh. i was just researching this option. thanks for the review! do you have an idea of what gdiapers cost in comparison to disposable?

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:55:50 PM
Author: pavelover
oh Sophie I am glad you hear a real life review of the gdiapers. I think I wanna try them. I did see the prices on line, but out of curiosity, what did you have to spend to get started and what do you forsee spending per week if you don''t mind? I know green is not always cheap but I would like to try it if I can. I was thinking of cloth maybe too but I don''t know. Or a split, like cloth at home and pampers on the road or for travel? thanks for the info!
I bought my stuff so far from a grocery store in Rochester, NY called Wegmans....

We went to the M/L size right away because the baby was already on the bubble for small/medium and the m/l fits her well.

I paid $24.99 for the starter kits I bought 2. (each starter kit comes with 2 diaper shells).
and only $11.99 for the flushies (there are 32/pack).

I bought about 8 packs of the flushies to bring home (I live in Ontario Canada and the only local store here charges $22/pack).
Also, I had my hubby order me some cute covers off the website to get us going and this wasn''t cheap: I got 1 pink, brown, and 2 striped plus 2 extra liners. that cost me $88.90.
All together under $400 and those flushies will last awhile.

I honestly haven''t had to change her anymore often than when in pampers. we haven''t had a blowout or a wet through or anything (knock on wood!!)
If I can keep buying the flushies when I am in Rochester than I will actually SAVE money- as pampers/huggies cost about $19.99 a pop here.

I used them for the drive home (which is a 5 hour stretch) and she didn''t have any leak. I would say you should be able to use them all the time. there is a yahoo group that I just joined that talks all about g-diapers and tricks and tips to keeping out leaks and whatever... check it out!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gDiapers/

oh and an FYI: apparently diapers.com doesn''t charge shipping so that would be cheaper than ordering off the g-diapers website directly, which is crazy!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a great option. The ''little g'' pants are so cute! However, the only negative is the cost. I wish going green didn''t cost so much.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I use them and I think they''re better than disposables. I know plenty of mommies won''t agree, but I mush prefer them. I hate the smell of disposables. The non disposables have never had a blowout, the pampers did whenever we''ve used them. No sign of diaper rash, but I think they may have to be changed more often, as they don''t keep skin so dry.

We don''t use a laundry service, because we live quite a way away from the nearest one. DH just throws them in the washing machine once a day. You can get washable liners too, if you''re really keen!

DH worked out that we''d save around £500 between birth and toilet training compared to using pampers or huggies, if that''s any help. We''re in the UK, so I don''t know if pricing is comparable to the US.

Jen

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of them, but I can't see how they would be cheaper than disposables here in the US unless you are buying your disposables at a really expensive place...Costco has huggies for $39 for a box of 160-230 (depending on size) and the cheapest place I can find gdiapers for with the same amount of diapers is like $55.

I'd love to do some of them, but we'll have to see how much $ we spend outfitting the twins with everything else they need to get started first.
40.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
We bought a dozen dozen diapers and that''s plenty if yoiu wash them every day. We have a few disposables handy just in case, but we haven''t run out yet.

NF, I think disposables are more expensive here. We will make a saving by using re-useables. That said, it''s quite a lot of cash to hand over at once. At least with disposables you spread the cost. Plusses and minuses, I guess. The cloth ones work really well for us.

Jen

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 6:49:40 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
We bought a dozen dozen diapers and that''s plenty if yoiu wash them every day. We have a few disposables handy just in case, but we haven''t run out yet.

NF, I think disposables are more expensive here. We will make a saving by using re-useables. That said, it''s quite a lot of cash to hand over at once. At least with disposables you spread the cost. Plusses and minuses, I guess. The cloth ones work really well for us.

Jen

Mrs. M., are we talking about the same type of diaper here? It sounds like you are talking regular cloth diapers which need to be washed all the time. Is that right? I was talking about GDiapers specifically, which you actually flush the insert where they pee and don''t really need to have things washed everyday I don''t think? Maybe that is why yours are so much cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results