shape
carat
color
clarity

First period postpartum?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Didn't see this in the archives, so I thought it might be worth its own thread ... did any of you have any odd symptoms before you got your period back after giving birth? I'm nine months out, and I swear to god it feels like I've had three weeks of PMS straight - both in terms of the silly-symptoms (I normally never eat cookies, and suddenly I'm the Cookie Monster), and in terms of the more serious ones. I have a history of depression, and damned if this doesn't feel a lot like it. If it's normal and I can just wait for it to blow over, great ... if not, suggestions? I have a therapist, and normally I'd go straight to her, but she's on vacation through the middle of Sept., so ... ladeez?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I had a similar experience; it was like a period on steroids. I felt ultra-PMSy. I had a terrible breakout. My bleeding was much heavier than usual and at the time I didn't know if my cycle really was worse or if I just forgot how bad it could be since I hadn't had a period in over a year.

I just went through my second cycle after giving birth and it was better. What I would consider "normal". And I was relieved that it wasn't like that first cycle. I'm actually interested to see if other women have gone through something similar.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NEL, how long did the pre-period symptoms last?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1346347129|3259862 said:
Didn't see this in the archives, so I thought it might be worth its own thread ... did any of you have any odd symptoms before you got your period back after giving birth? I'm nine months out, and I swear to god it feels like I've had three weeks of PMS straight - both in terms of the silly-symptoms (I normally never eat cookies, and suddenly I'm the Cookie Monster), and in terms of the more serious ones. I have a history of depression, and damned if this doesn't feel a lot like it. If it's normal and I can just wait for it to blow over, great ... if not, suggestions? I have a therapist, and normally I'd go straight to her, but she's on vacation through the middle of Sept., so ... ladeez?

aw thanks for starting this thread; I think it will help many. my emotions were all over the place; I still get emotional during TTOM. I do remember that my period lasted a lot longer and then a few more cycles it was back on track. I tend to err on the side of caution and I would just make an appt anyway so if you need one you can see her and if you don't, just cancel.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think my PMS symptoms lasted a few weeks or maybe a month. I remember not knowing what was going on with me because I didn't know it was PMS (again, hadn't had a period in over a year and didn't really know when to expect it again). I'm going back to my calendar--my first post-partem period started July 1st. I have a list in my work notebook dated June 14th titled "Things I hate about myself". The last thing on the list is to research late-recurring post partum or possibly see therapist (if I'd had one already, I probably would have called). Now, I'm a list-maker, but I don't have a habit of making such depressing lists! And I had felt extra crabby and frustrated for a spell before even creating that list. I didn't really know what was going on with me, but a couple of weeks later I started my period and I've felt more like myself since.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, that's actually kind of eerily similar - I made the post shortly after making a list titled "Depression?" So, great minds. ;( I will cross my fingers and hope this wraps itself up in a week or two, then (and will put a call in to my therapist, just in case). Thanks for the corroboration/support ....

Skippy, words of wisdom! Better to have the psych appointment and not need it than need it and not have it. Though, truth be told, right now I'd rather order a punching bag or something ....

Anybody out there with other experiences? Or tips on how to battle the mean reds/encourage Aunt Flo to bring her bad self to town a little ahead of schedule?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No experience here (as of yet) but I wanted to recommend 2 different things that you could do some research to see if they would be helpful to you.

First is maca root-it's a veggie native to peru and they gride up the root-I took it after getting off the pill since I went :errrr: and it helped me SO much. It helps your body regulate it's endocrine system (FYI it also increases fertility be extra cautious if you don't want to get pregnant).

I stopped the pill (since I'm american and married a Canadian and couldn't get my annual to get a new script and since we were getting married) on Dec. 4th (a Sunday) and while on the pill always started on a Tuesday. Got it that Tuesday as usual and a couple of weeks later started on the maca root since I was going though some range of emotions and I wanted my body to regulate itself since I'd been on it for over 5 yrs at that point. Got AF the Sunday before the Tuesday I'd normally start wo being on the pill (I only took one a day in the mornings) and after that AF I stopped it since i figured it had worked and I had gotten it on time. Feb. came and I was late-turns out I had conceived Jan 15th lol. I wasn't sure at first it was that since I didn't know if I was late bc I hadn't taken the maca root again that month and since I didn't expect my cycle to be 100% normal or if I was pregnant. Turns out the latter :)
Here are a few sites to check out
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/maca-root-for-women.html

http://macaroot.com/

http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/maca-root.html

I hope this helps. HUGS!

Another option that is really good (many women take it for winter depression/meta-pause/etc) is St. John Wart-my mom took it when coming off a ton of medication and it really helped her out. You need to check with your dr. first though if your on anything already.
http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/st-johns-wort.html

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, VL! I've tried St. John's Root in the past, and it doesn't seem to work for me, but this is the first time I've heard of maca root. I will have to look that up, thank you!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did.

With Hunter I got my period at only 6 months post partum despite exlcusively BFing -- WTF?? -- so don't remember much about how it came or what preceeded since I was still in a very wacky time with a baby.

But with Ryder my period did not come back until 11 months post-partum and the month before hand was very crazy with PMS. I tend to get a little moody in the week prior to my period and it was intense. My period started because I was weaning Ryder, but then he started nursing again and I did not get another period for about 60 days -- THAT time PMS was just insane, it was really terrible and I felt very depressed and moody. But it passed.

On a different note I got a Mirena IUS and baby is weaned and I feel much better.

ETA: Read NEL's post now... I have a very clear recollection of feeling quite depressed and talking to my friend on the phone about it and was also wondering about PPD or perhaps seeing a counsellor (though I had never before) and I recall saying: "You know, I got my period two months ago and have not had it since, maybe this last month has all been PMS??" I also was bloated. Anyways, I think it is normative, but that of course does not mean its not worth seeking support.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results