shape
carat
color
clarity

Family Friendly Cars - What do you drive?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning, I noticed a wee bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust of my beloved 1999 Saab 9-3. I had previously considered replacing the car, but it only has 129k miles, so I figured it had a few more years in it. Now, I'm thinking the repairs will likely exceed the value of the car, so perhaps it is time to move on.

DH drives a Volvo XC70, which is nice, but a bit boat-like in my opinion. I really love the zippiness and great handling of my 9-3, but think I may want something bigger for kid-moving around purposes. I test-drove a CRV, but did not like the handling and thought it took too long to accelerate, especially for my area (very short entrance ramps). I suppose I have gotten used to tubro.

DH suggested a Ford Escape. It seems quite big! Does anyone have one?

Anyone love her car and want to suggest one? I also have two large dogs so it would be great to have some room for doggies too. I am not really thinking a mini-van. I'd likely buy a used car, and would not spend more than maybe 25k?

TIA!
35.gif

so cal girl

Shiny_Rock
Have you looked at the Mazda CX-7? I have one, and believe me, it accelerates real quick!

I test drove the CRV, and I found it really slow. The CX-7 is supercharged and drives more like a car. I had a turbocharged Mercedes before this, and although the CX-7 isn''t quite as zippy, it is still a really good drive.

You could easily get a used CX-7 for below your budget. The base model brand new is below 25k, I believe.

Good luck!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh LV that stinks. This happened to me when I had the turbo go out on my Saab 9-5 and it was about a $2k repair. Luckily it was covered under my warranty so I only paid $100 out of pocket for it, but it was a SCARY event when it went completely. What you''re seeing is oil burning. Usually there''s a leak somewhere (saabs are notorious for mystery leaks that can''t be found) and the oil is seeping into the turbo, being burned upon ignition and then released via the exhaust. If you''re just starting to see puffs when you start your car then chances are it''s on its way out but hasn''t gone completely.

I have an ''09 Toyota Camry and I like it a lot.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m looking forward to responses on this one. Child number 2 is on the way so, 2 children and an 85 pound dog in the back of a Corolla is going to be a tad cramped!

We''re thinking the Pilot right now. I would like to avoid a mini-van. I just think they''re ugly and I don''t want one!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a Hyundai Santa Fe, been driving it 2.5 years now and love it. It''s not the zippiest thing, but has plenty of umph when you need it to. We regularly do a 4 hours road trip with the baby and the 80 pound dog and all our crap with no problems, and we also can tow our tent trailer with it.

The CX-7 would be a good option too, we test drove it but found that it felt really short, as in not much head room. Although we aren''t tall it bugged DH.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We used to have a MINI but we got an Audi A3 when baby was on his way... and we love it. It's a hatchback which I love for ease of fitting crap into the trunk. The trunk is not that big but we don't carry a lot of 'stuff' with us anyway...it holds the stroller, the baby goes in the carseat, I have a diaper bag. I have been able to fit multiple shopping bags, groceries, baby, stroller and 20lb dog in the car all at once with me as well. It also seats 2 adults in the backseat WITH carseat so we have had 4 people in the car with the baby as well. I don't like big cars at all, and the A3 was very zippy, powerful, but had the 'space' we needed. It was also surprisingly affordable.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry your car is dying! I hate car shopping.

We sold DH''s Volvo V40 last week and are selling my S60 next week and I am heartbroken to see it go. I have always driven a Volvo but have to give it up; the service and parts cost could buy me an extra LV or a fancy holiday every year. Just last week she cost me €250 for some random belt thing
38.gif

So we are looking to get a Ford Focus, probably the estate version because I take our lab/collie everywhere with me. I was convinced to get the Ford by my husband as he said they manufacture many of the Volvo parts including the breaks and I love zippy breaks. Vroom.

Godd luck in whatever you choose!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
i drive a ford, um, holy crap i can''t remember the model...the newest ford crossover. i absolutely love it. it''s big w/o being bulky, handles really nicely, great space. i would highly recommend it. i''d go look at it for the model but i''m feeding the baby.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

SCG - The CX-7 is very cute! Similar in styling to the Nissan Murano, which is also very cute. Good to know it has more power, and glad to hear I'm not nuts about the CRV lacking power.

HH - DH is going to take a look at it tonight, but we think exactly what you suggested - an oil leak. Saab 9-5 is my dream car, well one of them. I am fickle. You must have loved driving it, despite the hassles of the repair.

Steal - Good luck with your new car! I love Volvos too! I bet you'll be sad to see the S60 go. Focus must have much better gas mileage too.

KimberlyH - Too Funny!! It must be a Ford Edge?!?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
that''s it, lv! i''m such a dork. all i could come up with was limited.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to suggest the Ford Edge. Smaller than the Ford Escape.
Not what I have, but I've driven it and really liked it. Sounds like what you may be looking for.

Let us know what you decide!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I have a pilot which I like, but it''s probably too big and slow starting for you. DH has an Acura RDX, a crossover. It''s pretty zippy with plenty of trunk space.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 5:01:16 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

SCG - The CX-7 is very cute! Similar in styling to the Nissan Murano, which is also very cute. Good to know it has more power, and glad to hear I''m not nuts about the CRV lacking power.

HH - DH is going to take a look at it tonight, but we think exactly what you suggested - an oil leak. Saab 9-5 is my dream car, well one of them. I am fickle. You must have loved driving it, despite the hassles of the repair.

Steal - Good luck with your new car! I love Volvos too! I bet you''ll be sad to see the S60 go. Focus must have much better gas mileage too.

KimberlyH - Too Funny!! It must be a Ford Edge?!?

I did love it, it was so luxrious and fun to drive. Buuuuut it had chronic issues so I definitely got my moneys worth with the warranty!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an ''04 Escape and really like it. I had a Neon before that, so it was a huge change for me! They''re not overly expensive either. When we trade in we''ll either get a newer one, or something a little bigger.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Family Friendly Cars - What do you drive?

We finally got a new (newer, actually) car, so figured I'd update this thread! I can't believe it's been almost a year. Haha. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with my 9-3. She's still going strong, actually, and hasn't had any major repairs. My husband started driving the saab after we found out I was expecting. I'm still driving the volvo wagon. I became a bit obsessed with safety after my LO was born, so I insisted on a safer car for DH and ultimately decided on a subaru outback (08). We both really like it, and there's plenty of room for us, baby and doggies. It doesn't have as much "get-up and go" as I'd like, especially with our hills in CT, but I'm not the one driving it. Hee-hee. I've still got my turbo in the volvo. :praise:

Now, we have to sell my little saab. I'll be sad to see her go. :(sad

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

We bought a Kia Rondo recently and love it. It is a very affordable car with great financing at the moment, and good reviews. Our car is not much bigger than a typical 4 door sedan, but it is more like a mini-van in terms of interiour space. It has a third row of seating too, which folds down into the floor when you don't need it and instead want more storage in the hatch. Similar to the Mazda 5, but smaller, more head room, and less money. Love it!

I don't think they have it in the US though, might only be available in Europe, Australia, and Canada.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I have a Toyota corolla. So not a family car. I live ny corolla very much nut with a rfing seat, it makes it very uncomfortable.

FI has a Ford Edge an we both love it. The seat fits rfing perfectly without the front passenger feeling like they are eating their knees. Plenty of trunk space and believe me, we have packed that sucker up! Lots of room in the back seat too. Nissan Murano is similar build.

I just paid off my toyota so I'm holding off on the desire to upgrade to a larger car.

charbie

Ideal_Rock

fiery|1306188323|2928561 said:
I have a Toyota corolla. So not a family car. I live ny corolla very much nut with a rfing seat, it makes it very uncomfortable.

FI has a Ford Edge an we both love it. The seat fits rfing perfectly without the front passenger feeling like they are eating their knees. Plenty of trunk space and believe me, we have packed that sucker up! Lots of room in the back seat too. Nissan Murano is similar build.

I just paid off my toyota so I'm holding off on the desire to upgrade to a larger car.
Ugggh. I am so in the same boat. I have a Corolla that we just paid off, and DH drives a Ford Escape. My car is stick shift, which he refuses to learn how to drive. Grrrr! Im going to be driving the baby around more than him, so its only fair he learns to drive my car, right? :tongue: I'm hoping we can hold out for another year or so with my car.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I just noticed all of my iPhone autocorrects. Ugh sorry about that.

Charbie-the corolla is definitely doable with a kid if youre alone. With FI in the car, it's extremely uncomfortable. He usually drives and I have to sit in the back. In his car, I can sit in the front with no problem.

With the infant seat it wasn't a big deal though since it didn't stick out as much and when she wasn't in the car, the seat wasn't there either. But the convertible is so bulky. I imagine that it'll be better when we turn her around but that won't be for a while.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

We also had a corolla and it was ok for one kid, but we could not imagine adding a second car seat into it! Simple not enough trunk room either, for us, with two kids' worth of stuff.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

I love my car - Subaru Impreza - but it is not family friendly. My dad has a Hyundai Santa Fe, the newest model, and it seems like an excellent vehicle. Smooth ride (I guess as smooth as "country" driving gets), decent handling and I haven't noticed an acceleration issues (then again I can count our on ramps on one hand :cheeky: ). LOTS of room too!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

LOVE the Toyota Prius...

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

Pandora|1306284482|2929558 said:
LOVE the Toyota Prius...

May not be the best choice for cold weather FYI. My dad's coworker has one and it ticked him to no end when he found out that the engine runs during the cold to keep the heat. Really kills your MPG.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have an Acura MDX, and I absolutely LOVE it. My previous 2 cars were Infiniti G35x's, but I decided I wanted something bigger and easier to get in and out of. My MDX has 300hp and AWD. It handles more like a car than suv. I live in a mountainous state where our interstates (and all of our roads, for that matter) are curvy and hilly, and I love the way my MDX performs. Hubby has a Pilot, which he dearly loves too. He admits my MDX handles better though. I almost bought the RDX, but we discovered when hubby took it for a test drive that his legs were too long for the driver's side.

How funny - I just noticed the thread was a year old! Oopsie!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm writing down these ideas.

We have used Honda Odyssey. It's safe, the engine works great, has only needed routine maintenance since we bought it. However, we
managed to somehow trash it (automatic doors work irratically) dents, paint on the back of the car seats, missing plastic cover for the hatch. We also went from a smallish station wagon to this, and while the roominess is nice on longer trips, we realize we don't require as much interior space as we currently have.
But, because there is nothing functionally wrong with the car (other than the doors) but the resale price would be low at this point, we won't be getting anything for the next couple years. But I like getting ideas for the next car, some kind of hybrid or station wagony vehicle but smaller than what we have currently.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

We are in the market for 2 new vehicles. I have a 2006 Accord which is great, but it has 100k miles on it and is due for some pretty pricey services...so I think we are going to trade it in. We live in the snow and neither of us has AWD/4WD. I originally looked at the Escape, which I love...but we decided it's too small for us. Maybe not right now, but we would outgrow it in a couple of years (fiance is 6'7"...he needs lots of room). I think we are going to go with a Ford F-150 and a Subaru Legacy. Both are 4WD or AWD and are plenty roomy for a baby and all the crap that babies need.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My husband used to have a Ford -150. I had a pavlovian association to the low rumble of that truck when we were dating where hearing the truck approach would make my stomach do flips...

It was a really useful truck and the front seat is very wide. But unless you can get a truck that had back seats I wouldn't advise a truck as the sole vehicle for a family.

Part of me is considering getting a truck with back seats as our only vehicle, as my husband does TONS of work on our house, so we are always having to borrow a truck. The thing that dissuades me is the horrible gas milage.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

part gypsy|1306362504|2930231 said:
My husband used to have a Ford -150. I had a pavlovian association to the low rumble of that truck when we were dating where hearing the truck approach would make my stomach do flips...

It was a really useful truck and the front seat is very wide. But unless you can get a truck that had back seats I wouldn't advise a truck as the sole vehicle for a family.

Part of me is considering getting a truck with back seats as our only vehicle, as my husband does TONS of work on our house, so we are always having to borrow a truck. The thing that dissuades me is the horrible gas milage.

Oh, we are getting the crew cab, which is 4 doors. I am still leaning towards an Expedition, but I think I'll let my fiance win this one...he really wants a truck. I will use it as my daily driver- my commute is only 3.4 miles :)

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

The only thing with the F 150 (from what I've seen) there's not much room for a rfing seat. Not that this should be the only deciding factor as they don't stay rfing forever but it is possibly 2 years (or more) of having very little room in the back. Something to think of.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

fiery|1306363979|2930252 said:
The only thing with the F 150 (from what I've seen) there's not much room for a rfing seat. Not that this should be the only deciding factor as they don't stay rfing forever but it is possibly 2 years (or more) of having very little room in the back. Something to think of.

Hmm, something to think about. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results