shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Who Cheats? Docs and Stay at Home Moms!

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity? We were shocked by the answer!

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site for married people (yes, you heard right), surveyed all of their new members last year. Of the 1.9 million folks who signed up to cheat, er, date in 2009, these were the top professions:

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
4. Administrative Assistants
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

Anyone surprised by these professions listed?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 12:42:18 PM
Author:CDNinNYC

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity? We were shocked by the answer!

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site for married people (yes, you heard right), surveyed all of their new members last year. Of the 1.9 million folks who signed up to cheat, er, date in 2009, these were the top professions:

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

I''m really surprised that teachers are on the top of the women''s list. I''m also surprised that salespeople are not on the list. The amount of people I''ve seen cheat in my years on the road as one...yikes.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
What they''re not telling you is that of the 1.9 million on AshleyMadison, 1.5million are "bots" lol

But seriously speaking, considering the source I''d say that this list is probably inaccurate.

Although I have seen a lot of police officers that cheat.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny. . .my husband had just mentioned that site last night and I hadn''t heard of it. With the amount of solicitors that come to doors every day, it''s no surprise that SAHMs are tempted. Well, maybe not. Some of the guys who come our way are kind of scary!
32.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Huh? No politicians or high ranking business execs on the list? That sounds a bit strange to me.

I find it hard to think that ''teachers'' and ''nurses'' top the list, as well.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 1:07:58 PM
Author: Sha
Huh? No politicians or high ranking business execs on the list? That sounds a bit strange to me.

That''s why I mentioned the source and the "bots" issue that site has.

Female bots will sign up as typical male fantasy roles: the teacher, the nurse, the lonely housewife whose husband is always out of town, etc.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 1:09:28 PM
Author: fiery

That''s why I mentioned the source and the ''bots'' issue that site has.

Female bots will sign up as typical male fantasy roles: the teacher, the nurse, the lonely housewife whose husband is always out of town, etc.
What''s a bot? I''m not familiar with the site, sorry... Do you mean ''robots''?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m shocked that teachers have *time* to cheat! The site must offer seasonal membership packages for June/July/August for teachers.

Seriously, though, that''s surprising. I work with a lot of exhausted educators who severely neglect themselves in order to serve their students. I''m surprised to see my profession on the list, as we often joke that we are not the most comely bunch during the school year.
2.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 1:12:58 PM

Date: 3/11/2010 1:09:28 PM
Author: fiery

That''s why I mentioned the source and the ''bots'' issue that site has.

What''s a bot? I''m not familiar with the site, sorry... Do you mean ''robots''?
Yes. It''s basically companies that come up with usernames and once they have your email, send spam.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! Well, this is one stay at home momma who is not looking to stray!

I''m a little surprised at police officers and engineers... and teachers too, for that matter.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Uh oh...I''m a SAHM, and a former teacher. DH is in real estate. I guess I just give up and answer the door nekkid.

It does occur to me that these are also professions that have a lot of people in them. There are hundreds of thousands (if not a million) teachers, SAHM, real estate agents, and lawyers. Like Haven, I know a lot of teachers. Between September and June we weren''t the sexiest bunch. Ok, me. I wasn''t the sexiest bunch. Maybe I was just obivious.
31.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
with all the heavy media coverage of cheating teachers w/male students..maybe not a huge surprise--even though I''m sure that is not as commonplace as they''d have us believe.

not surprsied at physicians..they have long hours and in some cases large egos-- so workplace dalliances might come up..same with lawyers. What about politicians..that''s gotta be top of the list!

but SAHM..haha, that''s a shock! Maybe it''ll keep DH''s on their toes reading this..
emwink.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
now that i know the source ... not so sure it''s so credible

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

...ugh!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually have NEVER wondered.
1.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Haha jas, I was going to say the same thing. I''m a former teacher and now a sahm, so there''s no hope for me! Seriously though, I don''t think that''s a very reliable source.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
As a SAHM, I guess my husband should be glad that I spend all of my free internet time on the PS forums
emwink.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

For Women:

1. Teachers

2. Stay-at-home Moms

3. Nurses

5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:

1. Physicians

2. Police Officers

3. Lawyers

4. Real Estate Agents

5. Engineers

Source

Ugh, that dating site has disturbed me since I first heard about it a handful of years ago.

Not surprised by the lists really.

The Women List reflects a lot of care-taking sort of positions that can be a lot of stress, little glamor and so the infidelity thing is maybe a way to grasp at some identity, authority, excitement. A chase for romance and excitement perhaps. No offense to any nurses on here (and I do have friends who are nurses) a lot of them have a lot of "drama" in their life that they seem to choose to surround themselves with, and are struggling with their own personal issues.

Admin assistants is such a broad range. Generally if they are still an admin assistant though they are younger and perhaps a little less settled (I spent a few years as one, though I never had an affair I just remember feeling a bit lost!)

The Men List reflects a lot of ego-driven, authoritative sort of positions which are also high stress, long hours, and that can attract men who are also still fighting their ego yet also grappling with identity issues, and often some very difficult experiences in respect of say, police officers, certain lawyers, etc. It can be a "what can I get away with" sort of game which people who are attracted to those careers may find thrilling.

I am not at ALL surprised by police officers. They also have tremendous high rates of divorce (something like 75% or more, much more than the "average"), alcoholism, domestic violence, and infidelity can be rampant etc. I also have close personal associations with that profession. I would also probably have included military on there though (I have some very close and direct as well as indirect associations with that culture and it is very similar to the police culture, etc). The military culture, depending at least on what trade or branch you are in, really can "encourage" that kind of thing in a way.

I am a lawyer and while I don't think it is rampant in my own peers, I am not surprised. Again, long hours, opportunities, distrust of people in general depending on where you work, ego, etc.

Engineers. Hm. I had long term relationships with three engineers. All were adamantly "against" infidelity (not sure many are "for it" aside from that site..ha... but they were really against it). I do find that one surprising.

For some reason...real estate agents not surprising at all and I won't get into my reasons!

As others have said, I would take those results with a BIG grain of salt though too. The makeup of people joining that site, bots aside, are going to be people with some spare time to browse there, go on dates, have some money, etc. That skews things off the bat. A lot of people who decide to have affairs do it the old-fashioned way - meeting someone in a seedy bar a few towns over (kidding). But seriously, most people who have affairs don't ACTIVELY search one out from what I see and are not reflected in those stats.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 1:31:11 PM
Author: Haven
I''m shocked that teachers have *time* to cheat! The site must offer seasonal membership packages for June/July/August for teachers.

Seriously, though, that''s surprising. I work with a lot of exhausted educators who severely neglect themselves in order to serve their students. I''m surprised to see my profession on the list, as we often joke that we are not the most comely bunch during the school year.
2.gif

When I was a teacher people were constantly screwing around on their spouses with other teachers... I think it''s what happens when happy hour starts at 3:30.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 12:44:39 PM
Author: TravelingGal

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

I'm really surprised that teachers are on the top of the women's list. I'm also surprised that salespeople are not on the list. The amount of people I've seen cheat in my years on the road as one...yikes.

TGal, I couldn't agree more! I'm in sales and the things that I've seen on the road are really unbelievable! I'll be in Vegas next week for a big convention and I know there will be TONS of not-so-secret rendezvous there. My industry (film) is also notorious for cheaters--casting couch, anyone?!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I read this article this morning in the Toronto Star as well!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 4:48:40 PM
Author: curlygirl

Date: 3/11/2010 12:44:39 PM
Author: TravelingGal

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

I''m really surprised that teachers are on the top of the women''s list. I''m also surprised that salespeople are not on the list. The amount of people I''ve seen cheat in my years on the road as one...yikes.

TGal, I couldn''t agree more! I''m in sales and the things that I''ve seen on the road are really unbelievable! I''ll be in Vegas next week for a big convention and I know there will be TONS of not-so-secret rendezvous there. My industry (film) is also notorious for cheaters--casting couch, anyone?!
Looks like we''ll miss each other by 3 or so weeks...I''m going in April to Vegas for our industry convention.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
And what on earth are the professions least guilty of infidelity?

Executioners
Village Idiots
Professional Treehouse Dwellers
Rehabilitating Criminals with ankle bracelets (I'm having a brain fart...what are those called?)
Anyone living in their folks' basement with no intention of moving out. Ever. Cuz they like the company.
Anyone not connected to the internets to register for that site?

ETA: I'm just spitballing here...no offense intended. If you are anyone of the above and are offended, feel free to be unfaithful and report back to prove a point.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
What, philatelists didn''t make the list? Chirographers? Ming vase authenticators?

Let''s say there are 40,000,000 stay at home moms in the US; 28,000 of them sign up on that website with cheatin'' in their hearts. Let''s also say there are 5 Ming vase authenticators in the US; lo and behold, 3 of the 5 of them can''t keep it in their pants as they fly around the globe. AM''s list would put the moms @ #2, despite having a 0.07% cheating rate; those authenticators are FAR bigger cheaters whose wives or husbands should be wary (60%), but they fail to make the list.

This salacious study isn''t worth the paper it''s printed on. But what a lovely way to make folks suspicious of nurses, cops, doctors, and stay-at-home moms. Way to go, AshleyMadison. Keep on keepin'' it classy.
20.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Those darn real estate agents have tons of places to sneak in some nookie with no tracks to hide! "Oh, I have a rendez-errrr client to show the house to at 2pm!" How''s that for some afternoon delight!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 3:47:58 PM
Author: TheBigT
When I was a teacher people were constantly screwing around on their spouses with other teachers... I think it''s what happens when happy hour starts at 3:30.

I have a few friends who are teachers and they have told me some wild stories.
32.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, interesting! I'm surprised more business execs aren't on either of the lists.

Nurses shoplift a lot, BTW. It's a known fact in loss prevention. A friend of mine worked in loss prevention for a higher end department store and nurses constantly got busted. We busted several when I worked at a boutique, too. My theory is that they work hard and help people so maybe they feel like they're owed something.

Another group we used to have to watch were moms with baby strollers. They would try to seriously fill up the baby stroller with clothes, or be sneakier and put accessories like sunglasses in the cupholders. One woman put about 5 pairs of $200 jeans on the bottom shelf thingie of her stroller. Real classy, mom-way to set an example early!

Okay, sorry for the threadjack! The profession thing got me going on shoplifter professions!
3.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 3:45:50 PM
Author: RaiKai

As others have said, I would take those results with a BIG grain of salt though too. The makeup of people joining that site, bots aside, are going to be people with some spare time to browse there, go on dates, have some money, etc. That skews things off the bat. A lot of people who decide to have affairs do it the old-fashioned way - meeting someone in a seedy bar a few towns over (kidding). But seriously, most people who have affairs don''t ACTIVELY search one out from what I see and are not reflected in those stats.

Agree completely.

I''d also have to wonder how honest these potential cheaters are when it comes to inputting information on a married-dating website. It would be tempting to create a fake profile, both to attract potential ''dates'' and to protect/hide their true identity.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
After 30 years of divorcing people I can attest to the accuracy of the list.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 8:16:18 PM
Author: lulu
After 30 years of divorcing people I can attest to the accuracy of the list.

Really? That''s so interesting.

I have to say, some of these professions you can kinda see cheating, but the Engineers was a surprise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results