shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
No military? Hmm.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m not surprised by any of these, least of all the SAHM. EVERY woman I know who has cheated was a SAHM at the time. Some of them cheated the first time while SAHM and then just kept it up into their career years. Ironically enough, the first two that came to mind went from SAHM to admin assistant and then one went on to real estate!!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 8:57:48 PM
Author: waxing lyrical
No military? Hmm.
I thought there was some kind of 500 mile rule. Maybe that explains the lack of salespeople.
3.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 7:44:50 PM
Author: thing2of2
Ha, interesting! I''m surprised more business execs aren''t on either of the lists.

Nurses shoplift a lot, BTW. It''s a known fact in loss prevention. A friend of mine worked in loss prevention for a higher end department store and nurses constantly got busted. We busted several when I worked at a boutique, too. My theory is that they work hard and help people so maybe they feel like they''re owed something.

Another group we used to have to watch were moms with baby strollers. They would try to seriously fill up the baby stroller with clothes, or be sneakier and put accessories like sunglasses in the cupholders. One woman put about 5 pairs of $200 jeans on the bottom shelf thingie of her stroller. Real classy, mom-way to set an example early!

Okay, sorry for the threadjack! The profession thing got me going on shoplifter professions!
3.gif
HI:

I think I''ll try and shoplift a Doctor failing that maybe a pair of Nudie jeans.
41.gif

Kidding!
12.gif

cheers--Sharon

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif

never heard of ashleymadison.com. Went to check it out. The tagline is "life is short, have an affair"??

What an atrocity
38.gif
I hope it''s not legit!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 3:45:50 PM
Author: RaiKai

Date: 3/11/2010 12:42:18 PM
Author:CDNinNYC
Who Cheats? Docs and Stay at Home Moms!

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity? We were shocked by the answer!

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site for married people (yes, you heard right), surveyed all of their new members last year. Of the 1.9 million folks who signed up to cheat, er, date in 2009, these were the top professions:

For Women:

1. Teachers

2. Stay-at-home Moms

3. Nurses

4. Administrative Assistants

5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:

1. Physicians

2. Police Officers

3. Lawyers

4. Real Estate Agents

5. Engineers

Source

Anyone surprised by these professions listed?

Ugh, that dating site has disturbed me since I first heard about it a handful of years ago.

Not surprised by the lists really.

The Women List reflects a lot of care-taking sort of positions that can be a lot of stress, little glamor and so the infidelity thing is maybe a way to grasp at some identity, authority, excitement. A chase for romance and excitement perhaps. No offense to any nurses on here (and I do have friends who are nurses) a lot of them have a lot of ''drama'' in their life that they seem to choose to surround themselves with, and are struggling with their own personal issues.

Admin assistants is such a broad range. Generally if they are still an admin assistant though they are younger and perhaps a little less settled (I spent a few years as one, though I never had an affair I just remember feeling a bit lost!)

The Men List reflects a lot of ego-driven, authoritative sort of positions which are also high stress, long hours, and that can attract men who are also still fighting their ego yet also grappling with identity issues, and often some very difficult experiences in respect of say, police officers, certain lawyers, etc. It can be a ''what can I get away with'' sort of game which people who are attracted to those careers may find thrilling.

I am not at ALL surprised by police officers. They also have tremendous high rates of divorce (something like 75% or more, much more than the ''average''), alcoholism, domestic violence, and infidelity can be rampant etc. I also have close personal associations with that profession. I would also probably have included military on there though (I have some very close and direct as well as indirect associations with that culture and it is very similar to the police culture, etc). The military culture, depending at least on what trade or branch you are in, really can ''encourage'' that kind of thing in a way.

I am a lawyer and while I don''t think it is rampant in my own peers, I am not surprised. Again, long hours, opportunities, distrust of people in general depending on where you work, ego, etc.

Engineers. Hm. I had long term relationships with three engineers. All were adamantly ''against'' infidelity (not sure many are ''for it'' aside from that site..ha... but they were really against it). I do find that one surprising.

For some reason...real estate agents not surprising at all and I won''t get into my reasons!

As others have said, I would take those results with a BIG grain of salt though too. The makeup of people joining that site, bots aside, are going to be people with some spare time to browse there, go on dates, have some money, etc. That skews things off the bat. A lot of people who decide to have affairs do it the old-fashioned way - meeting someone in a seedy bar a few towns over (kidding). But seriously, most people who have affairs don''t ACTIVELY search one out from what I see and are not reflected in those stats.
RaiKai, That is interesting to read that perspective, I am a RN in a midsize hospital and I find that most of my friends lead very low key lives and are pretty placid, we see drama every day because of the population we serve, much of the illness we see is a direct or indirect result of drugs, etoh, gangs or just plain hard living - obesity, smoking and most of these come with the dysfunctional enviremont that goes with it. Or if you have just the plain misfortune to be ill it is a dramatic and emotional time in you life and in your families.The only way for the health care provider to get through all that is to not be a part of it, as I would guess in your line of work you must have empathy but you also maintain somewhat of a professional distance and I think that transfers over into our personal lives, you can easily identify it and do not partake. As a matter of fact that is one thing my husband has always said attracted him to me, he grew up in a drama filled house, like you said, his mom is one of those people who surrounds herself with it, and he liked that I did not, I think most health care professionals I know are like that. We care but you must have some self preservation skills. I know a few nurses that have cheated but no more then my other friends. I do not know about the physicians, most that I know are happily married and I only know of one nurse that has slept with a md that she was not married to but she was kind of a friendly gal in general and he was one of many men. One of my good friends husbands is a police officer and woman throw themselves at him all the time, drunk and are trying to get out of a ticket or just in general they like the uniform, The teachers thing suprised me big time! I think the bot theory is probably more like it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suspect that for women those are simply the most common professions amongst the social class who would possibly use a web site like AM -- if most women in a given socia class are teachers, SAHMs, and nurses, then it goes to figure that there will be more women cheaters in those jobs too.

Perhaps same goes for men.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 5:14:14 PM
Author: jas
And what on earth are the professions least guilty of infidelity?

Executioners
Village Idiots
Professional Treehouse Dwellers
Rehabilitating Criminals with ankle bracelets (I''m having a brain fart...what are those called?)
Anyone living in their folks'' basement with no intention of moving out. Ever. Cuz they like the company.
Anyone not connected to the internets to register for that site?

ETA: I''m just spitballing here...no offense intended. If you are anyone of the above and are offended, feel free to be unfaithful and report back to prove a point.
Hey! I am a village idiot living in my mom''s basement and I am totally offended!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 9:19:13 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I''m not surprised by any of these, least of all the SAHM. EVERY woman I know who has cheated was a SAHM at the time. Some of them cheated the first time while SAHM and then just kept it up into their career years. Ironically enough, the first two that came to mind went from SAHM to admin assistant and then one went on to real estate!!

I must be naive but who are SAHM''s cheating with? The gardner? pool guy? I don''t know of any IRL or otherwise!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:29:37 PM
Author: dreamer_d

Executioners
Village Idiots
Rehabilitating Criminals with ankle bracelets (I''m having a brain fart...what are those called?)
Anyone living in their folks'' basement with no intention of moving out. Ever. Cuz they like the company.

ETA: I''m just spitballing here...no offense intended. If you are anyone of the above and are offended, feel free to be unfaithful and report back to prove a point.
Hey! I am a village idiot living in my mom''s basement and I am totally offended!
Shhhh...I can''t hear the UPS man on my "casting couch."

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:29:37 PM

Executioners

Village Idiots

DD, you took the words right out of my mouth.
9.gif

I have a theory as to why some of the most notorious stereotypes of cheaters don''t appear on the list. On the one hand, teachers and SAHMs don''t really have too many opportunities to meet new people, outside of their regular contacts. On the other hand, it''s pretty much in the job description of traveling sales people to meet new folks every day. It is a fact that divorce rates are higher in military families specifically because of high infidelity rates. The difference is, they don''t need to sign up on an online site to find a fling. Why would you pay good money to get hooked up with people when you''re guaranteed a quickie any time you want/need? In a nutshell, the usual suspects have no reason to sign up for AM, hence the partial top ten list.

Regarding the representativeness of the categories, fleur-de-lis and DD are spot on.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 12:42:18 PM
Author:CDNinNYC
Who Cheats? Docs and Stay at Home Moms!

Ever wonder what professions top the list as the most guilty of infidelity? We were shocked by the answer!

AshleyMadison.com, the dating site for married people (yes, you heard right), surveyed all of their new members last year. Of the 1.9 million folks who signed up to cheat, er, date in 2009, these were the top professions:

For Women:
1. Teachers
2. Stay-at-home Moms
3. Nurses
4. Administrative Assistants
5. Real Estate Agents

For Men:
1. Physicians
2. Police Officers
3. Lawyers
4. Real Estate Agents
5. Engineers

Source

Anyone surprised by these professions listed?
This doesn''t really surprise me, given that:
There are 5.4 million SAHMs in the US
There are 2.5 million elementary and middle school teachers in the US (82% women dominated)
There are 2.5 million RN''s in the US (92% women dominated)
There are 3.2 million secretaries/admin assts in the US (96% women dominated)

So that''s over 13 million people. Given that 4/5 of the ''infidel occupations'' are also the 4 top occupations for women in the US, I''d venture to say that this study is total bs. No kidding, out of the 1.9 million people, most are SAHM''s, RN''s, teachers, or Admin assts. Throw any 1.9 million people into a room, and the most common occupations for women are the same.

Now, if they did a real study with real stats and percentages, it''d be a different story. I wonder where the RE agents would fit in then (''cause they don''t seem to fit into the whole ''commonality'' thing).

FWIW, I''m an RN, and have never cheated on DH OR shoplifted!!! And I really don''t see it in the workplace, either (much to the dissappointment of my SIL, who believes hospitals are ''just like Grey''s Anatomy''
20.gif
)

I can''t believe that there''s an actual dating website for MARRIED people!! CDN -- how did you come across that article?? I kid, I kid
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 1:31:11 PM
Author: Haven
I''m shocked that teachers have *time* to cheat! The site must offer seasonal membership packages for June/July/August for teachers.

Seriously, though, that''s surprising. I work with a lot of exhausted educators who severely neglect themselves in order to serve their students. I''m surprised to see my profession on the list, as we often joke that we are not the most comely bunch during the school year.
2.gif
crackup.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in an operating theatre, and the number of (male) doctors already married, that have had affairs with and subsequently married already married (female) nurses, is staggering!!
40.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
This Ashley Madison site is advertised frequently in the NY tabloids/free papers. I see it on the back page of everyone''s paper on the way home..tag line is "what are you waiting for?" (in reference to cheating).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:32:30 PM
Author: janinegirly
Date: 3/11/2010 9:19:13 PM

Author: somethingshiny

I must be naive but who are SAHM''s cheating with? The gardner? pool guy? I don''t know of any IRL or otherwise!

The SAHM I know have cheated with:

husband''s friends (!!)
coach of one of the kids
neighbor on a different shift than husband
unemployed guy
SAHD
and random meetings while out and about (yeah, she''s a real class act!)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:07:53 PM
Author: yssie
23.gif

never heard of ashleymadison.com. Went to check it out. The tagline is 'life is short, have an affair'??
That just made me laugh out loud.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:27:58 PM
I suspect that for women those are simply the most common professions amongst the social class who would possibly use a web site like AM -- if most women in a given socia class are teachers, SAHMs, and nurses, then it goes to figure that there will be more women cheaters in those jobs too.

Perhaps same goes for men.

Agreed. According to the 2000 Census Bureau
34.gif
, these are the top 5 occupations for women:
Secretaries, Administrative Assistants
Elementary and middle school teachers
Registered Nurses
Cashiers
Retail Salespersons
So, statistically, the odds of finding a woman within one of these industries that cheats on her significant other is much greater.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 8:20:15 PM
Author: CDNinNYC

Date: 3/11/2010 8:16:18 PM
Author: lulu
After 30 years of divorcing people I can attest to the accuracy of the list.

Really? That''s so interesting.

I have to say, some of these professions you can kinda see cheating, but the Engineers was a surprise to me.
Yes. Take Administrative Assistant off-it''s just too broad. I would change the order. For women I would put Real Estate agents first and they tend to have affairs with other realtors. Then nurses who tend to have affairs with doctors.

Engineers does seem strange, but very true. They tend to be somewhat inflexible and controlling. If they perceive that their spouse is not meeting their needs they are ripe for an affair. They are also very difficult divorces as they see it all in black and white-no emotional nuances.

Teacher divorces are also difficult. They have charts, lots of color-coded charts and computer print-outs. Folders full of data. Briefcases full of folders.

Sahm''s tend to have affairs with men from their church,neighbors or their husbands friends.

Male Police officers frankly have lots of opportunity for extramarital sex and are not particularly emotionally mature. They also feel entitled, probably because they''re putting their lives on the line everyday.

Another interesting subgroup I saw a lot with infidelity issues with was deaf people-with other deaf people. I can''t begin to explain it, but there it is. They are very sensual people.

Attorneys cheat with other attorneys typically.

But the bottom line is that when people cheat it''s usually a coworker. Watch out for signs that your spouse is becoming emotionally intimate with someone at work.

I certainly don''t mean to offend anyone, and this is clearly not science. This is just the result of my personal experience. After doing a job for a long time the patterns begin to emerge.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:52:58 AM
Author: Lynnie
I can't believe that there's an actual dating website for MARRIED people!! CDN -- how did you come across that article?? I kid, I kid
2.gif

LOL. Well, I AM a SAHW at the moment...
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 6:31:00 AM
Author: DandiAndi

I work in an operating theatre, and the number of (male) doctors already married, that have had affairs with and subsequently married already married (female) nurses, is staggering!!
My daughter is graduating from high school this year (God willing) and has not had an illustrious academic career. She is bright enough to do anything if she is able to concentrate and study, but I don't know if she will be able to concentrate and study. She loves to get dressed up and look good every day, so one idea I had for her was to be a hairdresser. She has impeccable grammar and spelling and types very quickly, so in the "old days" she could have been a great secretary. (She is also very well organized.) Lately she has been fixated on becoming an RN, but I don't know if she can concentrate enough to do that.

When I read that nurses shoplift, I thought that maybe nursing wasn't a great idea for her after all! Then I read about nurses winding up married to doctors. Who cheat. I don't know how to call this one! ;-)

AGBF
34.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 10:07:53 PM
Author: yssie
23.gif

never heard of ashleymadison.com. Went to check it out. The tagline is ''life is short, have an affair''??

What an atrocity
38.gif
I hope it''s not legit!

It is very legit, they have been around a while. They not that long ago tried to pay the Toronto Transit authority (I think it was Toronto) money to allow them to advertise on their buses, etc. They were denied.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 9:33:42 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Ha, interesting! I''m surprised more business execs aren''t on either of the lists.

Nurses shoplift a lot, BTW. It''s a known fact in loss prevention. A friend of mine worked in loss prevention for a higher end department store and nurses constantly got busted. We busted several when I worked at a boutique, too. My theory is that they work hard and help people so maybe they feel like they''re owed something.

Another group we used to have to watch were moms with baby strollers. They would try to seriously fill up the baby stroller with clothes, or be sneakier and put accessories like sunglasses in the cupholders. One woman put about 5 pairs of $200 jeans on the bottom shelf thingie of her stroller. Real classy, mom-way to set an example early!

Okay, sorry for the threadjack! The profession thing got me going on shoplifter professions!
3.gif
HI:

I think I''ll try and shoplift a Doctor failing that maybe a pair of Nudie jeans.
41.gif

Kidding!
12.gif

cheers--Sharon
SNORT. I don''t want a doctor, but can you get me a pair of Nudies while you''re at it?
3.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:02:53 PM

3.gif
HI:

41.gif

Kidding!
12.gif

cheers--Sharon
SNORT. I don''t want a doctor, but can you get me a pair of Nudies while you''re at it?
3.gif
I think you busted moms and nurses most for the same reasons that they cheat most -- they are just really common professions for women.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 9:59:43 AM
Author: lulu
Teacher divorces are also difficult. They have charts, lots of color-coded charts and computer print-outs. Folders full of data. Briefcases full of folders.
That''s hilarious, and I can totally see that happening.
Color-coded charts, ha ha ha!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 9:23:04 PM
Author: cara

No military? Hmm.
I thought there was some kind of 500 mile rule. Maybe that explains the lack of salespeople.
3.gif
It''s not cheating if it''s outside of your area code.
3.gif

I kid! I''m in sales and the things I have seen withOUT the help of ashleymadison . . .well, let''s just say I''m glad my husband isn''t also in sales.
2.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 1:37:54 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 3/11/2010 9:23:04 PM

Author: cara

No military? Hmm.

3.gif

It's not cheating if it's outside of your area code.
3.gif

I kid! I'm in sales and the things I have seen withOUT the help of ashleymadison . . .well, let's just say I'm glad my husband isn't also in sales.
2.gif

I hear this a lot---is it all sales? Traveling salesmen? Women and Men? BIL is a salesman to the point I don't know who the real person is, and he does talk of flirting with female clients as part of the sale. So not my style. Guess that's why I'm not in sales and terrible at flirting
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2010 1:06:06 PM

Date: 3/12/2010 1:02:53 PM

3.gif
HI:

41.gif

Kidding!
12.gif

cheers--Sharon
3.gif
I think you busted moms and nurses most for the same reasons that they cheat most -- they are just really common professions for women.
HI:

As most nurses are Mom''s and many don''t work FT, they stay at home and work: DOUBLE dip!
3.gif
41.gif
In past most MD''s were men, and nursing is a female dominated profression: that said, when are men and women other than men and women?
30.gif

Hopefully now that 50% of entrants into med school are female, future "scientific" studies will be less biased.
2.gif

cheers--Sharon (who is anything but common!)

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Bah. I guess some people have more opportunity than others. That said, my husband once told me that a woman is only as faithful as her options. I cant say that I agree. Ashleymadison.com strikes a weird chord with me. I do not agree with cheating, but can understand it more if you happen to meet someone in a innocent way and realize they are your soulmate or whatever. Going to that site is saying that I want to cheat and I do not care who it is with which is nasty to me. The list they put out seems to be a tactic. No one thinks that their nurse or school teacher is a cheater. In my mind at least I tend to regard these people as more than I would others. I am in sales and I can tell you that it is going on constantly and not just with people who travel. I have been in it for years and I can tell you that every place but one had affairs going on. I think the list is biased in a way that will cause people to think oh, well if Johnnys teacher is doing it I bet I can get away with it too.

I do not want to offend anyone that has had a partner cheat on them because sometimes they are just scumbags, but I have always had the mentality that happy people do not cheat. There must be something missing in the relationship for one party to wander out of it. It might not be the person that is getting cheated ons fault, but the fact remains that people that are happy and in love just dont cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results