shape
carat
color
clarity

engaging/lightening 3rd tri (possibly TMI!)

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! I'm currently 34 weeks and 3d. I had finally gotten accustomed to many of my body's pregnancy quirks, and then the game changed again!

Beginning last night I started feeling very brief (as in fewer than 20 seconds) SHARP pains in my cervical area. They tend to happen in clusters and I had to stop walking at work a few times today to breathe through it. I am assuming that LO is engaging. Is this at all similar to what any of you felt? I've also had a slight increase in urgency and an odd, somewhat indescribable feeling mid-void. I haven't noticed a physical drop, but at 5 ft tall I haven't much room!

I know the little one has flipped head down at this point and seems to be presenting right occiput anterior, which matches with the area of my greatest discomfort. I'm not having "real" contractions (I've had Braxton Hicks twice daily for a month or so), no show, no back pains, no major cramping and fetal movement is all as before.

So, for those who have gone before... are these lovely new pains simply part of the third tri or do you think it could be a symptom of engaging? For those of you who felt lightening, how many weeks later did you go into labor? I've read that engagement can occur as much as a month prior to labor in first pregnancy.

Thanks! I think I'm primarily looking to distract myself from discomfort while DH watches the Aussie Open. Besides, he certainly can't chime in with any experience!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
May be engaging, but I'd guess it's actually your pelvic floor muscles getting pulled due to the weight of the baby more than the position. Keep up with your kegels. With my first, I dropped progressively over several weeks. I felt it more in my hips than anywhere else. With Lily, I had lots of sharp pains throughout the third tri though and she didn't drop until a day before I had her.

Good luck and lots of healthy baby dust and easy labor and delivery dust!! **************

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I had those pains for around 5 weeks before Daisy was born and she dropped about 3 weeks before - she was born at 39 weeks 5 days.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input!

I definitely feel more comfortable asking people about this kind of pain on an internet forum than real life!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 38 weeks 4 days today, and I've been having those sharp pains for awhile now (maybe since the early 30's??). I tend to notice them happening more when I'm *ahem* gassy, LOL. Which makes me wonder if another possibility is that they aren't cervical pains put are actually originating from my large intestine/colon down low when it gets stretched by gas/baby's pressure on it. Either way, I've heard many pregnant women complaining of similar pains, so they're definitely normal. :) My baby dropped/engaged at about 36 and a half weeks - I woke up one morning and my belly looked very different and sooo low, and since then, I've had a lot more pelvic pressure and can feel her squirms in my crotch!!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not pregnant, but I can relate the gassy pains. I get them with PMS and they're so bad that they cause me to double over in pain. I have no clue how they get to the front/lower area of my pelvis but it feels like my uterus is going to burst :errrr: So it could very well be gas :cheeky:

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Well, by way of an update...

About a week after I posted this thread, part of my plug fell out. Then, at 36 and 6, my water broke! Our little baby boy, "B" came into the world on February 4th weighing 5 lbs 14 oz and 19" long. He's beautiful. I had a disaster of a labor (I don't want to go into many details but the high points include pushing for over 5 hours {not a typo} and eventually getting a section.) and he lost quite a bit of weight while we both learned how to nurse, but everything is clicking now! He's a feisty little guy! Now I'm going to savor the scant maternity leave I have and continue to harass my son with a camera...

The one thing that surprised me most was how much I really needed my Mom's help for the first while after he was born. DH returned to work right after our hospital stay so my Mom came and stayed for a few days. I'm a VERY independent person and work in pediatrics, so I didn't envision myself being so dependent on others. I really hadn't planned on having a section, so the realization that I couldn't even bring a laundry basket to my basement was a surprise. My Mom was amazing!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Munchkins congratulations on your son!!!! Aw, I am so happy for you!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Munchkin, congratulations!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Just wanted to chime in again too and say that it's interesting that both you and I ended up going into labor about 2 weeks after we sensed the baby dropping. I actually ended up having my first painful labor contraction about 2 hrs after my first post on this thread, and Ellie was born about 16 hrs after that, which was about 2 weeks after the day I first noticed that she had dropped! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results