shape
carat
color
clarity

Dyson Animal, do you have one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
So after spending too much time cleaning cat hair yet again this past weekend, I have decided that I need a new vacum cleaner. My old one just isn''t cutting it. I''ve been reading lots of positive reviews on the Dyson Animal. Do any of you have one or have tried one? If so, could you please share your opinion on if it''s worth it? Also could you please let me know what model you have. Currently they sell two different models, the DC17 and DC25. I''m leaning towards the 25 because it''s lighter, but please let me know if there''s a reason that the other one is better. Thanks!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have it ... love it ... it's super powerful, and I love not having a stupid bag. I have the DC17...and it's not really that heavy at all.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone else started a thread about this last year sometimes... try a search, there were a lot of replies!

I have it and LOOOOOOVE it. Works a charm.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love ours. We have two cats.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
We have it and LOVE it. We have 2 cats who get hair all over everything. Before this vacuum, we were never able to get anything completely hair free. We bought a refurbished one, but I''m pretty sure it''s a DC17.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the earlier Dyson Animal model and like it except for two things: It doesn''t have a height adjustment for carpet. I used it once on our wool berber carpet in the living room and it just about ruined the small section I vacuumed, basically causing the loops to get all fuzzed up. That section of the carpet now looks terrible. And that wonderful suction can also pull fibers out of a rug. I made the mistake of vacuuming an Ikea wool rug in the kitchen and the Dyson sucked so many of the fibers out of the rug in just a few uses that it''s now almost threadbare. No other vacuum had done that to the rug. So be sure to test what you''re going to use it on.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 1:51:41 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Someone else started a thread about this last year sometimes... try a search, there were a lot of replies!

I have it and LOOOOOOVE it. Works a charm.
Yep, there are tons of thread about Dyson vacuums!

Mine is the slim and it works perfectly for my two cats - one who is long haired and the other short haired. It was cheaper and lighter than the animal and with the BBB coupon, I got $100 off the price
2.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 2:29:34 PM
Author: rainwood
I have the earlier Dyson Animal model and like it except for two things: It doesn''t have a height adjustment for carpet. I used it once on our wool berber carpet in the living room and it just about ruined the small section I vacuumed, basically causing the loops to get all fuzzed up. That section of the carpet now looks terrible. And that wonderful suction can also pull fibers out of a rug. I made the mistake of vacuuming an Ikea wool rug in the kitchen and the Dyson sucked so many of the fibers out of the rug in just a few uses that it''s now almost threadbare. No other vacuum had done that to the rug. So be sure to test what you''re going to use it on.
Thanks for all of the responses! I will definitely go back and search for older threads. I have two cats too (one long hair and the other short/medium hair), and I feel like even if I don''t go near a cat, my clothes end up covered in cat hair from all the hair that''s just floating around. I try to vacume at least 3-4 times a week but I think my vacum isn''t doing a good job of catching all the hair floating around everywhere. I''m hoping I can solve that problem with the dyson.

Thanks for pointing out the negatives rainwood. I was hoping to get some of those too so I can make the right decision. We have all hardwood and ceramic tile floors so that probably won''t be an issue with us.

Does anyone have the DC25?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We LOOOOVE it! Our dog used to kill vacuums, we went through like one a year. The Dyson is fantastic. We''ve had some problems with the hose getting clogged, but nothing major.

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i have a pomeranian so he sheds a ton and i LOVE our dyson. i don''t know how i ever got by without one.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
We got a DC17 a few years ago for Christimas and we love it! We had two pugs and two cats and it did a really good job with all of the hair.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have one and don''t have an animal. Just messy kids :) But I love it! I am thinking of getting a dog so I guess I''m all set with the vacuum.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I have a small apartment and the DC-25 (the ball) which I love! I didn''t see the animal ball at BBB but I love the one I got!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
We have the Dyson Animal Ball, I think its the DC15 or 17, can''t remember. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have 2 cats, one that sheds a lot and the other one, just a bit (but I have long hair and I shed like crazy too LOL). It''s really easy to clean and not too heavy and I love the ball, it turns so easy. It''s great for tight spaces too, we have an 1100 sq ft. 2 bedroom and it''s amazing the amount of cat hair it pulls up. We have carpet and hardwoods and the dyson works great on both.

We also have the little hand held dyson and it''s really great too. It''s kinda wierd though - it only holds a 6 minute charge. But it''s so powerful, if you need to use it for more than 6 minutes you might as well pull out the full size dyson
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I have to get a Dyson Animal! I have THREE long haired cats! Needless to say, the hair situation is out of control. I''m definitely getting one!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 7:56:01 PM
Author: violet02
I have a small apartment and the DC-25 (the ball) which I love! I didn''t see the animal ball at BBB but I love the one I got!
Me too.
<------ This guy sheds a lot! I wanted the animal, but I read the only difference between the animal (purple) and the regular dyson (yellow) is that the animal comes with extra attachments. We ended up registering for the ball because we live in a small apartment. I love it! It''s so light, fun to manuever and it actually picks up ALL the hair. It''s the first vacuum I have ever had that I didn''t still find hair left on the carpet!

We actually had DH''s friend over for a few days and he is severly allergic to dogs. In the past he could only be in our apartment for a few minutes before he would start having asthma attacks from the allergies. But since we got the vacuum... no problem, just had to keep poor Olly locked up in the bedroom and he was fine!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 4:04:21 AM
Author: mia1181

Date: 1/12/2009 7:56:01 PM
Author: violet02
Me too.
<------ This guy sheds a lot! I wanted the animal, but I read the only difference between the animal (purple) and the regular dyson (yellow) is that the animal comes with extra attachments. We ended up registering for the ball because we live in a small apartment. I love it! It''s so light, fun to manuever and it actually picks up ALL the hair. It''s the first vacuum I have ever had that I didn''t still find hair left on the carpet!

We actually had DH''s friend over for a few days and he is severly allergic to dogs. In the past he could only be in our apartment for a few minutes before he would start having asthma attacks from the allergies. But since we got the vacuum... no problem, just had to keep poor Olly locked up in the bedroom and he was fine!
Mia, I''m surprised to hear that young Oliver sheds! I was under the impression that pugs didn''t shed much. DH wants to get a pug someday, but I don''t think he knows about the shedding! I don''t think that would change his mind, though!
2.gif

We don''t have an Animal, but I would LOVE to have one someday! My parents have an Animal and you would never guess by looking at their house that they have five cats! It does an AWESOME job!!!
36.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 9:55:13 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Mia, I''m surprised to hear that young Oliver sheds! I was under the impression that pugs didn''t shed much. DH wants to get a pug someday, but I don''t think he knows about the shedding! I don''t think that would change his mind, though!
2.gif

We don''t have an Animal, but I would LOVE to have one someday! My parents have an Animal and you would never guess by looking at their house that they have five cats! It does an AWESOME job!!!
36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh my god, do they! Yikes!!!!! They are double-coated which means they actually have two coats of fur and shed all year round! I try to brush him everyday and vacuum often. And forget about holding him if you are wearing black! Honestly they are great dogs though and IMO worth the trouble, but it is a pain.

Oh, I''ve heard the black pugs don''t shed as much, but every book I''ve read on pugs says that is a myth. But then again I don''t own one.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 4:21:31 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
We LOOOOVE it! Our dog used to kill vacuums, we went through like one a year. The Dyson is fantastic. We''ve had some problems with the hose getting clogged, but nothing major.
This is us to a T. I vacuum every day and go through AT LEAST one vacuum a year (and we have all hardwoods!). I literally have a vacuum for each floor of our house so I don''t have to lug it up and down the stairs all the time...and then have a separate handheld for the stairs themselves.

For the past 3 years when it comes time to replace the vacuum I''ve said I would get a Dyson, but still can''t seem to spend the money. We just replaced our vacuum less than a month ago (with a non-Dyson), but when we get Boatswain I am definitely getting one and retiring our current vacuum to another floor. I think two newfs is going to send me over the Dyson ledge.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 11:19:09 AM

2.gif

36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh my god, do they! Yikes!!!!! They are double-coated which means they actually have two coats of fur and shed all year round! I try to brush him everyday and vacuum often. And forget about holding him if you are wearing black! Honestly they are great dogs though and IMO worth the trouble, but it is a pain.

Oh, I''ve heard the black pugs don''t shed as much, but every book I''ve read on pugs says that is a myth. But then again I don''t own one.
Hee hee! Just look at that cute little face, though!!! How could a little dog hair make anyone NOT want a pug?!?!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve been eyeing Dyson Animal but DH says it''s just like any other vacuums with extra attachments. We bought a similar vacuum for pets with all those attachments which now we don''t even use, so he doesn''t want to spend the extra money on Dyson.

So is it really more powerful than other brands? Does it work great on hardwood floor? (we don''t have carpet because of my allergies). We have 7 cats so you can just imagine...
38.gif
Will Dyson save my sanity (and clothes)?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 11:15:15 PM
Hee hee! Just look at that cute little face, though!!! How could a little dog hair make anyone NOT want a pug?!?!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I know! And he gets a away with murder because of that cute little face! All dogs were bred for a purpose, and pugs were bred to be cute. They do their job very well!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 2:58:29 PM
Author: Babyblue033
I''ve been eyeing Dyson Animal but DH says it''s just like any other vacuums with extra attachments. We bought a similar vacuum for pets with all those attachments which now we don''t even use, so he doesn''t want to spend the extra money on Dyson.

So is it really more powerful than other brands? Does it work great on hardwood floor? (we don''t have carpet because of my allergies). We have 7 cats so you can just imagine...
38.gif
Will Dyson save my sanity (and clothes)?
Yes, IMO the dyson is definitely more powerful than other vacuums. And my understanding is that the Animal is the same as the Yellow Dyson, but with attachments. So if you want to skip the attachments you can get the regular dyson instead.

Mine seems to work well on non-carpeted floors too, but my apartment is mostly carpet.

Oh and if you have allergies, it gets great reviews for allergies. The filter is supposed to be really good and it''s pretty easy to change without getting dust everywhere. I take it outside, hold a bag over the bin tight so it makes a seal. Then you pull a lever and the bottom of the bin opens and the dirt falls into the bag. Very easy.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 11:19:09 AM

2.gif

36.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Small threadjack - when we had our pugs we belonged to a pug play group and several members had black pugs - and they did not shed nearly as much as the fawn owns. Go figure
3.gif
. Maybe it was a fluke!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Pet hair is a huge concern for us, so I checked my dad's CONSUMER REPORTS magazines and Kenmore (SEARS) got the best overall ratings AND rated the best for pet hair. Dyson ratings were mediocre (not to mention expensive), so I plan on buying the Kenmore. No first hand knowledge though, sorry!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 10:21:34 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Small threadjack - when we had our pugs we belonged to a pug play group and several members had black pugs - and they did not shed nearly as much as the fawn owns. Go figure
3.gif
. Maybe it was a fluke!
Continuation of threadjack----- I can kinda see how it could be true. Black pugs seems to have more of the shiny prickly hair rather than the soft fuzzy stuff. IMO its the soft stuff that is the worst, and Oliver is the softest adult pug I''ve ever pet! A lot of pug people that pet him say "oh he still has his puppy fur."

--------Okay thread may continue to regularly programmed topic.-------------------- Really? Consumer reports rated Kenmor higher? I can''t imagine anything better than my dyson. I wish you could test out vacuums before buying them!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 11:11:01 PM
Author: Izzy03
Pet hair is a huge concern for us, so I checked my dad's CONSUMER REPORTS magazines and Kenmore (SEARS) got the best overall ratings AND rated the best for pet hair. Dyson ratings were mediocre (not to mention expensive), so I plan on buying the Kenmore. No first hand knowledge though, sorry!
I ended up getting that Kenmore (I believe it is called the Progressive?) after much research (including CR). I have had great success with it and pet hair (2 cats that shed like crazy). And it's been great for my allergies, which is a plus. I can't compare it to the Dyson though because I've never owned one of those, but my year old Kenmore is doing great so far - I'd definitely recommend it (and it's about half the price of the Dyson to boot).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results