shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sew?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone
35.gif
!

I''ve always wanted to learn how to sew. We are buying a new home (our first together
1.gif
), and I''d love to be able to make my own curtains. I don''t have a sewing machine yet, and I''m concerned that even if I did get one, that I would have no idea how to use it. I wish I had someone that I could learn from, but I don''t.
7.gif

I am a crafty girl at heart. I would love to be able to decorate this house myself. I hate buying curtains from the store. They are never exactly what I want, and I am too frugal (with home decor spending anyway) to buy super-expensive drapes or anything custom.

Can anyone recommend a good basic sewing machine to start out with?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LV!

I have made all the curtains for my house myself, once you get the knack of it, it is quite straightforward! I have a small basic Singer machine which has been excellent, but it does everything I need and more. It is a few years old though, so I am not well up on the newer models.

But I want to really encourage you to try it, once you start it gets easier and you can make some great stuff! Keep it simple to begin with, maybe just some basic unlined curtains with rod pockets, then go from there. Also most machines I have come across all work and are set up in a similar manner, so the instruction manual should tell you everything you need to know. Once you start using it, practise on some spare material to get the feel for the machine, then once you get the feel for it, you are away!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2008 11:02:20 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi LV!

I have made all the curtains for my house myself, once you get the knack of it, it is quite straightforward! I have a small basic Singer machine which has been excellent, but it does everything I need and more. It is a few years old though, so I am not well up on the newer models.

But I want to really encourage you to try it, once you start it gets easier and you can make some great stuff! Keep it simple to begin with, maybe just some basic unlined curtains with rod pockets, then go from there. Also most machines I have come across all work and are set up in a similar manner, so the instruction manual should tell you everything you need to know. Once you start using it, practise on some spare material to get the feel for the machine, then once you get the feel for it, you are away!
Hi Lorelei!

That''s wonderful to hear -- both that you made all your own curtains on a simple machine and that the instruction manual is all I need. They have really basic, inexpensive models at Target. That''s what I''ve been thinking of getting. They are usually a little over $100 when on sale.

I would start very simple, just like you suggested. A co-worker of mine made some basic white eyelet curtains for me, years ago. They are still my favorite curtains ever because they were handmade, and yet they are so simple.

I''m very excited. I love the idea that I can do this myself. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Funny you should ask I have been thinking about this all week. I almost thought of starting a post asking for advice on how to pick a great sewing machine too.

Well I am trying to learn to sew. Growing up I always wanted to know how to-my Mom was not too keen on getting her machine out a lot of the time because she did not like the mess. She did show me how to do stuff like skirt, apron, very basic.

Later I took a sewing class with my Mom. It was a beginning class but everyone was more advanced than me. Instead of showing how to put stuff together they taught advanced seams and finishing. Like here is how you do blank type of seam for an evening dress. Not very helpful to me. So I left the class with a bunch of examples of how to do fancy shmancy seams but not how to for put more basic stuff together.

I can mend like a champ though
1.gif
and by the way I love your name-I love vintage too!

I''ve been thinking about this because this week my Singer Tiny Tailor gave up to ghost. And I have a huge bag of stuff to mend/alter change up etc. plus curtains to hem. It was like a wee non powerful little sewing machine for simple stuff and small spaces. I would never get it again since it had a lot of problems.

Now I need my first big girl machine so I have been using consumersearch.com as a springboard to help figure it out. That''s my go to site for product reviews since it gathers and compares product reviews from everywhere in one place. I am in love with it. So type sewing machine into that search engine for sure. I also asked the main seamstresses in my family for ideas. My Mom who is big into art quilting. And two of my in-laws who are professional and professional quality seamstresses. They can sew anything on the planet. My in-laws are so handy they can do like anything.

Anyways it''s funny because my husband knows way more about sewing than I do since his house was always chock full of sewing projects and patterns to step over. So he learned a lot about it from osmosis. Plus he can put together anything a human being could make. His sister is starting out in fashion design. Holy crap that girl can sew anything under the sun.

What they have told me so far is my MIL likes Bernina and says traditionally they are the best machines. She did once use a temperamental Bernina though. She says no Bernette since they are cheap crap(she did not say crap)and not made by Bernina. She has heard Kenmore is highly rated too last time she checked. She said she used to have a Singer she liked in college but they went downhill but may have since improved again.

My SIL said that her favs are Bernina but she doesn''t like the ones from the past 5 years she likes the ones older than that. She thinks that they are getting cheaper made now. She also likes Kenmore.

My Mom I believe has a Bernina too. My Mom said to check out the reviews at PatternReview.com too I think my Mom said she took some online sewing classes I think from there too. I am going to try to find a used one. Hope that helps it''s so nice to know someone else is in the same boat.

36.gif

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL also said that she has an older Bernina 830 (non electronic I think) which the repair people said is the best machine they ever made.

Mrs. 2Artists

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2008 11:11:04 AM
Author: Loves Vintage

Date: 7/18/2008 11:02:20 AM
Hi LV!

Hi Lorelei!

That''s wonderful to hear -- both that you made all your own curtains on a simple machine and that the instruction manual is all I need. They have really basic, inexpensive models at Target. That''s what I''ve been thinking of getting. They are usually a little over $100 when on sale.

I would start very simple, just like you suggested. A co-worker of mine made some basic white eyelet curtains for me, years ago. They are still my favorite curtains ever because they were handmade, and yet they are so simple.

I''m very excited. I love the idea that I can do this myself. Thanks for the encouragement!!!
You are very welcome! I know you will do well at it and it is so rewarding! I didn''t have anyone to teach me either, but with my little machine and it''s book, I made all my curtains without too much difficulty, you can do it! Don''t worry too much about the details to begin with, always allow plenty of fabric for to allow for mistakes, and keep it simple - rod pockets to begin with probably, sew down the sides neatly and hem - done!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I used to be a seamstress and ran the school costuming depts in middle and high school.

First thing, you probably want a mechanic, not an electric, sewing machine. They are cheaper, last longer and do everything you will need for basic stuff. Electrics do more, but I love my 60 year old singer from my grandma, so it really depends on what you are using it for.

Places like Michael''s and Joann''s fabrics do classes, so you might look into them.

For curtains specifically, here are some pieces of advice.
Start with fabrics like cotton. Fabrics that are shiny, thick or see through tend to be hard to work with and you should wait on those or buy them on discount so you can practice on them.
Jersey and denim are also hard to work with, but they generally aren''t used for curtains anyway

If it can be steamed or ironed, do so before cutting or anything, it really will make your life easier. If it is an artificial fabric, do NOT iron it, it will melt. These probably seem like no brainers, but I have seen people do this and it is really messy.

If there are folds like at the hem at the bottom, iron the fold into place first, it makes it easier to sew.

For decorative curtains you don''t need any backing, but for bedroom ones or others that are for reducing light, sound, etc, you want to put a backing on the curtain. I recommend cotton flannel; it''s cheap, effective and easy to work with.

I can answer any questions that come up, I rarely sew or bead anyomre and I am happy to have my experience go to some use.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2008 1:52:29 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I used to be a seamstress and ran the school costuming depts in middle and high school.

First thing, you probably want a mechanic, not an electric, sewing machine. They are cheaper, last longer and do everything you will need for basic stuff. Electrics do more, but I love my 60 year old singer from my grandma, so it really depends on what you are using it for.

Places like Michael's and Joann's fabrics do classes, so you might look into them.

For curtains specifically, here are some pieces of advice.
Start with fabrics like cotton. Fabrics that are shiny, thick or see through tend to be hard to work with and you should wait on those or buy them on discount so you can practice on them.
Jersey and denim are also hard to work with, but they generally aren't used for curtains anyway

If it can be steamed or ironed, do so before cutting or anything, it really will make your life easier. If it is an artificial fabric, do NOT iron it, it will melt. These probably seem like no brainers, but I have seen people do this and it is really messy.

If there are folds like at the hem at the bottom, iron the fold into place first, it makes it easier to sew.

For decorative curtains you don't need any backing, but for bedroom ones or others that are for reducing light, sound, etc, you want to put a backing on the curtain. I recommend cotton flannel; it's cheap, effective and easy to work with.

I can answer any questions that come up, I rarely sew or bead anyomre and I am happy to have my experience go to some use.
I have one of those too, but I don't use it, perhaps I should...Great tip with the hem ironing!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, a sewing thread!

I'm about to embark on a therapeutic affair with sewing.

I am a theatre designer by trade, and although my designs always come with construction hints and instructions for the seamstresses when they have to make a leap into uncharted territory and abandon pre-established patterns, I have never had to do the 'basic' sewing. I have done lots of bizarre work, like creating 4.5ft high wings (with open edge, none of this 'bent wire loops' business) out of wire and assorted sheer fabrics for texture differences, quilt stitched everything by hand for 'invisibility' and spent lots of time 'painting' them with dyes.

I've also done headdresses, masks, armor that looked like a shell, spiked limbs, hordes of fabric painting; if it was something the costume ladies paled at, I'd take care of it. I've made corsets (for wearing UNDER things), leather armour, antlers, lower body fur legs (complete with deer tail and hoof coverings over the shoe), sculpted wigs into traditional geisha hairstyles, complete with be-dangled pins. I've made a ton of costumes by draping, pinning, and constructing the costume directly ON the wearer.

But. Can I sew basic garments? Nope. The most I've done is a long a-line skirt with zipper when I was a teen.

Thing is, I come from a long line of sewing wizards on BOTH sides of my family. My paternal grandmother was a domestic craft genius (she died before I was born) and could sew, embroider, dance, draw/paint, cook, play music, knit/crochet, quilt, you name it. My maternal great-grandmother was so good, women would bring her magazines and she would create the pattern from eying the picture and sew an identical garment tailored to them!
23.gif
Her daughter, my grandmother, was a seamstress, and my mother was always sewing things when I was young, although she started her practice when I was 8 or so and didn't have the time beyond that.

So while I can thank the ladies in my family tree for giving me the talent for design, I am woefully unequipped to make 'real' clothes.

But since I have nothing but time on my hands until the beginning of October at best, I am determined to wrestle my sewing machine into submission!

I want to make a dress form of myself using this method:Paper tape dressform which I found while surfing months ago, but after 40 minutes on the phone calling Staples, Office Depot, Michaels, Hobby stores, mail and packaging stores, other office supply stores, and I CANNOT find this stuff! I have found it on the internet ... if I want to pay $60 for a flat of it.
29.gif

One of the mail places has it, but only for their own use and won't sell it.
15.gif

Edit: Oh my god, Staples says they have it! Only another hour until my guy gets home so we can go and see *dances with impatience*. I have been searching for this stuff since November!

I hope it's the real deal; I clarified with them twice (I bet they think I'm crazy) that it's the kind that only adheres when it's wet and hardens as it dries, and explained what I am using it for ... they claim it's what I'm looking for. Most places only have the plastic-y stuff that has paper on one side and regular tape on the other.

If this works out, Ladies: make yourself one of these if you want to sew clothes for yourself. Imagine being able to tailor things to your exact curves and hollows, and to be able to see what things will look like on you as you're making it, allowing for minute corrections as you go.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
FUN a sewing thread!

Yes sewing can be fun and it''s not hard to learn if you can follow directions (not trying to be mean but really some people just can''t follow directions and for them sewing is not a good idea).

I would say go to a fabric store in your area like JoAnn''s and sign up for a sewing class they will teach you the basics. The most important thing is learning how to thread a machine and once you learn on one it''s fairly universal. Then it''s pretty much like driving you feed the fabric through while you push on the pedal. They will also tell you what kinds of stitches to use when and things like that. Then try something really simple first like a plain square pillow and then some easy non-lined curtains.

Buying a little singer at Target may work perfect for you but just remember "you get what you pay for" so don''t expect a $100 machine to be amazing and easy to use, but I''m sure it will do the trick. If you really want to just try it out see if you can find an old on on craigslist.com or something (if it hasn''t been used for years take it to a sewing machine and vacuum repair shop for a tune up) older machines are sometimes much better than newer ones.

I''ve been sewing since I was 8 and I love it! I too am into theater and costume design so I''ve made everything from a homecoming dress for my little sister without a pattern to a flying monkey costume to my own Halloween costumes. Once you know the basics and how to read a pattern you''ll be unstoppable!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 5:20:33 PM
Author: KCCutie
FUN a sewing thread!

Yes sewing can be fun and it's not hard to learn if you can follow directions (not trying to be mean but really some people just can't follow directions and for them sewing is not a good idea).

I would say go to a fabric store in your area like JoAnn's and sign up for a sewing class they will teach you the basics. The most important thing is learning how to thread a machine and once you learn on one it's fairly universal. Then it's pretty much like driving you feed the fabric through while you push on the pedal. They will also tell you what kinds of stitches to use when and things like that. Then try something really simple first like a plain square pillow and then some easy non-lined curtains.

Buying a little singer at Target may work perfect for you but just remember 'you get what you pay for' so don't expect a $100 machine to be amazing and easy to use, but I'm sure it will do the trick. If you really want to just try it out see if you can find an old on on craigslist.com or something (if it hasn't been used for years take it to a sewing machine and vacuum repair shop for a tune up) older machines are sometimes much better than newer ones.

I've been sewing since I was 8 and I love it! I too am into theater and costume design so I've made everything from a homecoming dress for my little sister without a pattern to a flying monkey costume to my own Halloween costumes. Once you know the basics and how to read a pattern you'll be unstoppable!
9.gif
Ditto to this!!! Lots of patterns are hard to follow when you are a beginner; I had an awesome sewing instructor and she taught us a lot of the standard sewing definitions (which I would not have known otherwise). Here is what I made in my 1st sewing class plus they teach you to use your machine and lots of machines are different. I signed up for my class through the local University's Continuing education at a Sewing store; I took 2 different classes. I also learned garment making. Here is a pic of the robe I made too toward the middle of the page https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafty-pscopers-knitting.70467/page-6

curtin009.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I have one of those old machines, too BIH and Lorelei! I love it. It''s my favorite!

I used to sew a lot more than I do now. I just haven''t had the time for it. I did manage to sew DD''s bedding. I find myself sewing things for the house mostly because I either can''t find something I like or it doesn''t have enough personality for me. I like to modify store bought things a lot. I will buy a ready made window curtain or shower curtain and add a strip of fabric to the sides or bottom. I also make a lot of matching skirts for DD and her dolls.

A machine also comes in handy for mending. I have a whole pile of things that need to be mended or altered. The entire back seam of my favorite pencil skirt ripped out when I was bending over to help DD get into the car.
6.gif
Luckily we hadn''t left the house yet!
36.gif

I don''t know enough about machines to recommend one, sorry! I wonder if Consumer Reports has any data on sewing machines?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Back from Staples and Joann''s. It does appear that the paper tape is the kind I''m looking for, as it says that it requires water, and I''ve roped my guy into being my wrapper, so we''ll see how that goes.

Also picked up some muslin and some Simplicity patterns that work with cotton as Joann''s had a 1.99 per Simplicity pattern sale (limit 10, doesn''t cover special orders) so worse comes to worse, I''m only out a cheap pattern, muslin, a zipper, and some patience. I''m okay with that.

I cannot wait to have my very own dressform. I may decide to do away with patterns after I''ve gotten the hang of them and just work with my cloned form.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH! I LOVE TO SEW! I have a motto, "Sewing -- the ultimate craft!" Really! Once you know how to sew, the sky is the limit with the awesome things you can create.

I taught myself to sew in my late 20''s and have been going strong since. I made a BUNCH of really dumb mistakes along the way (oh boy, did I!) but I am proud to say I never made the same mistake twice!
1.gif

I also quilt, so I have a wonderful Bernina sewing machine now; but my first sewing machine was a basic, basic Kenmore on close-out at Sears for $49.99 !!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2008 9:27:13 PM
Author: Lynn B
OH! I LOVE TO SEW! I have a motto, ''Sewing -- the ultimate craft!'' Really! Once you know how to sew, the sky is the limit with the awesome things you can create.

I taught myself to sew in my late 20''s and have been going strong since. I made a BUNCH of really dumb mistakes along the way (oh boy, did I!) but I am proud to say I never made the same mistake twice!
1.gif

I also quilt, so I have a wonderful Bernina sewing machine now; but my first sewing machine was a basic, basic Kenmore on close-out at Sears for $49.99 !!!
Is Boo as big of a sewing helper as Leo is? He''s rotten when I sew. Add him to the list of reasons the machine doesn''t come out very often!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2008 9:51:40 PM
Author: Miranda

OH! I LOVE TO SEW! I have a motto, ''Sewing -- the ultimate craft!'' Really! Once you know how to sew, the sky is the limit with the awesome things you can create.

1.gif

Is Boo as big of a sewing helper as Leo is? He''s rotten when I sew. Add him to the list of reasons the machine doesn''t come out very often!
Hahaha! I have lots of kitty helpers when I sew, as I had little paws vigorously grappling with the fabric while I was rapidly machining it, cats are now banished from the room when the machine is on!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome! Everyone your sewing projects and adventures sound and look so amazing. It''s great to see pictures too. It is so inspiring to see and hear about amazing cloth creations other PSers have created.
21.gif

Mrs.2Artists

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 4:55:01 AM

1.gif

Hahaha! I have lots of kitty helpers when I sew, as I had little paws vigorously grappling with the fabric while I was rapidly machining it, cats are now banished from the room when the machine is on!
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Haha, Miranda!!! Actually, Boo is a lazy sod
2.gif
and all he does when I sew is lay on the edge of the bed (my craft room is part of my guest bedroom) and either NAP or SUPERVISE!
9.gif

Ditto when I work out... he lays beside the treadmill or the elliptical THE WHOLE TIME and just watches me (or sleeps).

Fat, lazy cat!!! Never gets a darn thing done!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
30.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, if I wasn''t so creeped at about rummaging through my garage right now, I would go and find the best book I ever purchased on sewing. It was an old used book, but had all the basic information you needed to sew curtains, table cloths, using patterns, etc.

I used that book more than my cookbook back in the day. It was so handy. So my suggestion would be to get a book with basics that teach measuring and gathering and finishing edges and all that kind of stuff. Curtains don''t require a pattern as much as a solid Do''s and Don''t with certain fabric patterns and lining things up and what type of curtain rod you will use...etc.

Good Luck!! Nothing is more satisfying than creating your own decor. I still swear I am going to get my machine down from the closet and set it up again. But I am afraid I will never leave the house once I get started.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually in the middle of sewing curtains for our new house right now! My sewing machine is a small basic model that I got when I didn''t have much space in my apartment, but it works fine for most things.

I really like to sew--I started sewing as a kid (I made all my own halloween costumes from the time I was 8 or 9) and worked as a costume constructor/designer all through college. Making your own home decor stuff is really fun and since most of the lines are straight, it''s relatively easy. The curtains I''m doing for the house are just sheer panels with opaque strips at the top and bottom and loops for the rod (we wanted them to let in light), so they''re quite simple, but they look really pretty.

Good luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m starting soon! I have an antique Singer 66 that was a grad gift from my BF''s parents, and I can''t wait to start sewing. I need to read through the instruction manual to figure out how to thread the machine, but then it should be pretty simple. I''m really getting excited about it!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i loovveee sewing. between school and wedding planning, it''s really the only hobby that i make time for regularly. no one in my family sews, but i bought myself my first machine when i was a sophomore in high school and just learned through trial and error.

i just got a new machine for last christmas, a brother xr 7700 and i love it. it''s a low to mid range model, but it gets the job done what the projects i do and it runs very very well. i think places like amazon and overstock carry it, so it''s pretty cheap (probably around $150 down from 500 i think). the instruction manuals tend to be pretty good for the basic stuff (learning how to thread it, etc) so don''t worry too much about not knowing how to use it. just pick up some cheap fabric and experiment. good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2008 12:31:06 PM
Author: princesss
I''m starting soon! I have an antique Singer 66 that was a grad gift from my BF''s parents, and I can''t wait to start sewing. I need to read through the instruction manual to figure out how to thread the machine, but then it should be pretty simple. I''m really getting excited about it!
I need to get mine out and set it up, but where it is stored, I hope there aren''t meeses mices living in it....
41.gif
23.gif

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I have a custom window treatment business, and have been sewing window treatments for about 15 years. I learned to sew as a kid, and made clothes in my teens. When I got married and we were decorating our first house, I decided to make my own window treatments. My mother thought I was crazy. The first thing I made was traditional swags and jabots. They turned out beautifully. My mother was very impressed!!

My recommendations:

Go for it! Window Treatments are much easier to make than clothing (no zippers or sleeves!).

Take some lessons to learn the basics. Once you learn to follow a pattern, you can figure almost anything out.

Sheers can be pretty challenging to work with, so I wouldn''t start out with them.

Buy home decorating fabric rather than garment fabric. It is wider, and of a much nicer weight to work with. There are lots of great websites that sell home dec fabrics at great prices.

I line everything. Good quality lining makes a huge difference in how your finished product turns out. I interline everything with flannel interlining also. It adds some weight to the treatments.

I would recommend buying a good used machine rather than one of the $100.00 machines. They are really cheaply made. I have a Bernina 930 that I bought off of Ebay. It is a solid machine. The $100.00 machines are completely made of plastic, including all of the "guts" of the machine. You might even want to borrow a machine if anyone you know could lend you one in order to learn to sew, and see if it is something you want to invest in.

I''ll post again later if I can think of anything else!

Good Luck!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
That is a good idea to buy a (higher quality) used machine (another vote for a Bernina!) -- rather than a cheapie (new) one. Although buying a used machine can be a little bit *risky*... so I''d suggest you take someone with you who knows machines.

Also, I have this book, and I read it from cover to cover (like a novel!) at the beach one year when I was first learning to sew. It was invaluable and I totally recommend it!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3644&PRODID=xprd408559&source=search

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas and supportive comments! We can''t wait to move into the new house! I''ll have my own "craft room", so I should be able to shut out all of my furry little friends when it''s time to sew. One of my cats would definitely want to be "involved".

As far as a machine, DH''s parents had two in-desk sewing machines. He says they both work, so I will probably take both of those and buy the instruction manuals on eBay. He says he knows how to work one of them at least. Looks like I may not have to buy one after all. I did see quite a few for sale in my area on Craigslist.

I''m happy to hear about everyone''s sewing experiences. Thanks so much for all of the encouragement.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I taught myself to sew in order to make my ballroom dance clothes. I made a whole ballgown, also many skirts, tops etc, and also curtains. It is easy. I read the instructions and practiced. I also have a serger which is a multi needle machine you need for sewing knitted fabrics, doing rolled hems and so on. Also straightforward if you read the instuctions carefully.

I have not done much sewing recently, but I really like the things that I made as they fit me very well.

If have time I am sure a sewing class would be a good idea. I can do zippers, but I learned via trial and error - it woul dhave been better to have a class.

I don''t work with a pattern either. Instead I make my own patterns out of paper. I got a custom made form that is my exact body - long story - a talented sewing friend helped me. So, I just fit the paper to that form and I get a "pattern" that I cut from.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
How fun! I need help too with a very simple curtain to block out sunlight from my piano. I purchased 2.5 yards of semi-shiny polyester pattern fabric, and need to make two simple pocketed 81.25 by 24 inches curtain out of them.

My questions are:

(1) What is the best way to cut 2.5 yards (60 by 90) evenly to 2 pieces base fabric first? I do not have a table that big to lay it out and measure it with a tape. I imagine just half the 60' side?

(2) Knowing the final size requirement of 81.25 by 24, how much border fabric do I need to keep to make side and bottom hems? The problem again is how do I cut a perfectly lined rectangular shape to begin with? I am so scare to make cutting mistakes!

(3) Finally, assuming the cut is acceptable, how do I then sew it a straight line in the right shape using the machine?

You can prob tell I have never done this before. Please help!
12.gif

Thank you so much!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been sewing since I was a small child. I love to sew but haven''t dome much lately. I used to make my own doll clothes out of scraps from my mother and sisters when I was a child. We didn''t have much money so I made my own wedding dress and veil. After we got married I made all of our clothes including hubby''s dress shirts and golf shirts. Now those were a pain!!! I used to stalk all the fabric stores for sales, LOL. At one time I had a business where I made clothes for larger sized women but I found that when I had deadlines I just didn''t love it as much. I really wanted a quilt but couldn''t justify the cost back then so I learned how to quilt. Now pretty much all of the sewing I do is making quilts. I also reccommend a Bernina. While I have a Babylock embroidery machine which is fun, the Bernina is the one I use for actual sewing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results