shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you learn nutrition from your family

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
while you were a child? Was a healthy lifestyle part of your upbringing or did you learn through sports/activities through school or as an adult?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 3:02:47 PM
Author:lumpkin
while you were a child? Was a healthy lifestyle part of your upbringing or did you learn through sports/activities through school or as an adult?
a healthy lifestyle was part of my upbringing. i hardly ever got sugars or sweets as a child. i was raised eating whole grain breads and healthy cereals, never got sodas. we hardly ever ate fast food. sometimes i got ice cream.

when i grew up and went to college, i rebelled because i''d never been allowed to have sugary cereals or wonder bread or anything ''normal'' that all my other friends used to have.

kids were so much more active then too.

in high school i ran track and played volleyball so i was always pretty active. it wasn''t until college when i started developing ''bad'' eating habits like fast food and not working out and all that. it wasn''t until i was about 21 when i thought ding ding i should eat more healthily and start working out. and i have kind of gone in ebbs and flows since then with eating and working out. i finally lately have just gotten that i need to do that continuously for my body to stay in balance. eat right most of the time and just work out and be active.

it''s funny because my sister is 16 and she already goes to the gym and stuff. i think she is better prepared to be out on her own and eat more healthily and work out because she is already thinking about doing that stuff. whereas i think i was oblivious about making the right food choices on my own and knowing i should work out or at least be active outside of regular lifestyle activities.

it''s ironic because my mom used to always feed us nutty wheat bread and stuff that as a kid is ''weird'' to you in a way...and for a while i totally rebelled against that and went the other way. and now i actually LOVE nutty wheat or whole grain breads, and i love veggies i used to hate as a child and cereals that i used to hate as a child and all that. so i''ve come full circle, and i''m only 32! hehe.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeah but I rebelled against their form of it. Dad and mom were all about the health nutty, drink your spirulina, take your omega-three, eat your brewers-yeast, etc. I grew up to hate all things even related to the word "soy cheese," I gag at the smell of vitamins, I won''t even go NEAR lo-carb or lo-anything (I''m saved here bc I don''t really drink milk or eat much bread anyway, I think) etc... I also have a deep and undying hatred for all "imitation" foods, haha.

I did however develop a healthy respect for sugar and a taste for wheat bread and vegetables. I also got into the habit of just drinking WATER. We never had sodas or juice/milk (oh no! why would one drink *cow milk*???
20.gif
) as an everyday thing, and that I think is the way it should be.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my parents were always about everything in moderation. As we''ve become more educated as a society on healthy eating my parents have evolved and my mom started cooking healthier when I was in HS. I''ve taken it up to another level since hubby is trying to loose weight so i''ve become even more calorie/fat conscious and try to find healthy recipes or modify the ones i have.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Mara, that's interesting that you didn't get much in the way of sweets when you were a kid. I didn't either and really didn't have a sweet tooth until I met my husband. He has a wicked sweet tooth! I've developed one, which is bad. Type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family.

I've tried so hard to keep the kids away from sweets and it's unreal how many people want to give them candy. We were at the hardware store, of all places, and I asked one of the staff there if they carried something and he gave my 5 year old a jolly rancher lolly pop. The guy was just trying to be nice, and he was super nice, but really, we were on the way to the dentist! Right after that we found out he had two cavities and the folks at the dentist office were telling me "You really shouldn't give a child candy all the time." Ugggg!

Rainbowtrout, my dad was all over the wheat germ and vitamin C. It's really funny when I look back because I'm doing the same kind of stuff -- flax seed, fish oil, etc. But I don't make my kids do it YET anyway!

Mrssalvo, I'm striving for moderation. I think it's such a good foundation for whatever way you need to go -- heart healthy, diabetic, etc.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
It is SO hard to keep people from giving your kids sugar. Mom used to tear her hair out. She even gave the teacher sugar free candy to give me when the other kids got a piece. I was only allowed sugar on the weekends through high school, and even now I realy try to stay away most of the time. Usually I''ll have a lump in my morning tea and that''s it, sometimes not that. I find trying to set "sugar free days" where I consciously eat zero sugar helps, since Morocco is the number 1 consumer of sugar in the WORLD!!!

Seriously, and we wonder why we have a problem with obesity when we reward good behavior with candy?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I learned sports and staying active through after school sports.

However, I learned overall portion control, healthy eating, eating vegetables, etc. through what my parent''s served at the table, their habits, and what was stocked in our fridge/cabinets.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 4:57:11 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
It is SO hard to keep people from giving your kids sugar. Mom used to tear her hair out. She even gave the teacher sugar free candy to give me when the other kids got a piece. I was only allowed sugar on the weekends through high school, and even now I realy try to stay away most of the time. Usually I''ll have a lump in my morning tea and that''s it, sometimes not that. I find trying to set ''sugar free days'' where I consciously eat zero sugar helps, since Morocco is the number 1 consumer of sugar in the WORLD!!!

Seriously, and we wonder why we have a problem with obesity when we reward good behavior with candy?

Really. I had no idea. I would definitely have thought the US consumes the most (we consume the most of everything else, practically).

My kids are both string beans and I don''t try to put calories in them, even though I''ve been advised to. I have a friend who says when she was a kid everyone begged her to eat more, now her doctor is telling her to eat less. I''m afraid I''m in the same boat.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 5:03:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I learned sports and staying active through after school sports.

However, I learned overall portion control, healthy eating, eating vegetables, etc. through what my parent''s served at the table, their habits, and what was stocked in our fridge/cabinets.

Were there times when your parents made you eat things you really hated or did they just try to find alternate veggies? My older child loves broccolli (so do I!) and eats it raw, steamed, etc. He also loves carrots and cauliflower and really a lot of veggies. My younger one doesn''t do well with green veggies at all and I''ve tried not to push it too hard, but he doesn''t like ANY of them. He loves fruit and yogurt and other healthy things, though.

We''re going through this phase where everyone likes different things. I can kind of balance it, for instance I''ll serve spaghetti and the younger one eats the noodles without the sauce. Or if we fix Mexican food I have a variety of things out and everyone puts what they want on their plate. But I am having some difficulty with other things, like fish -- my kids won''t eat it at all, and I really NEED to.

I''m really trying to balance everyone''s various nutrtitional needs. I need to lose weight, the kids obviously don''t. My husband likes highly processed foods and I''m trying to wean him off of those. He''ll eat the salmon, but he has to put balsamic vinegar on it (YUCK! why would you do that???). It''s kind of funny when I''m not struggling with it.
9.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I imagine it's scaled for population and the like...i.e., the highest per person consumption.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
A healthy lifestyle was DEFINITELY a part of my upbringing. I distinctly remember having talks with my mom about nutrition facts and food tables. I''ve always LOVED water, so no problem there, and had fruits, veggies, whole wheats, etc. on my plate. I was also really involved in physical activities since I was three. I''ve done tap, ballet, soccer, yoga, and running. I have recently started eating more organically and cutting out a lot milk and other dairy if possible. I like eating healthier because I seem to have more energy. But with all that eating healthy, I must say that my aunt is an avid baker, so if I ate all my veggies I always got the dessert, too. I have a healthy sweet tooth, but try not to indulge TOO much!

*M*

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i didn't grow up with sugar/soda drinks/fast food/caffiene. my mom was pretty good at a balanced meal. one meat, two veggies on my plate at dinner. i don't even think i knew what candy was growing up, much less chocolate. i don't think i had sodas until highschool and then it was only sprite. i also grew up taking dancing from age 4 till college. tap, ballet, point, jazz, modern, hip-hop - you name it. in highschool, i had dance classes several times a week and point was on saturday morning. lots of cardio workout, & stretching - haha. in college, i took lots of work out type classes. i think 4 semesters of beginner weights, 2 semesters of aerobics. 2 of ballet. 1 of tennis.

i love water and all things veggies- and i don't mean only covered in cheese
6.gif
i think yams are the only veggies i don't eat
14.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could say yes, but my mom wasn't into nutrition at all. And she didn't cook either, we had housekeepers. I had junk food in the pantry, no fruits, no veggies. Lots of ding dongs, ice cream, and well just crapola. I was an athlete growing up, so didn't gain weight from all the junk food we had at home. Once I had my own kids, I fed them well. My son had severe food allergies, so made everything from scratch. At that time, I was playing competitive tennis, and learned junk food, was my enemy, had to keep my energy up, for stamina. My mom still eats junk, and has had more lipo's than I can count.
20.gif

My kids are away at school. They have stuck to their regimine and only eat healthy foods. Which can be hard in college etc.. But they only crave stuff that is nutritional. Yeah they have pizza now and then, but really stick to things that fuel their bodies in a positive way. They are wise kids.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Not really. I learned most of it in college - appropriate portions, more veggies and fruits, exercise. I still struggle to counteract some bad eating habits I picked up from my mom growing up.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, I didn''t learn much about healthy eating while I was growing up. My mom stayed home for years to take care of my sister and me but she went back to work when my sister was little. I have never liked eating in the cafeteria at school. In middle school I got lectured by a friend''s mom who worked there. I never ate lunch in school and I always waited until I got home to eat. I was told that I couldn''t go through the whole day without eating but I didn''t listen. In high school, I did the same thing -- I used to avoid eating in school. I would stay in one of my classrooms and get my homework done. When I got home, I would make whatever I could find -- Ramen noodles, Chef Boyardee, etc. My mom was never a cook (neither was her mom), so I never really learned to cook. We always had the basics -- fish, steak or roast beef, chicken, spaghetti or other types of pasta dishes, but nothing exotic.

One day I was in the kitchen (maybe I was in high school or college, I don''t remember) and I was looking through the cabinets, complaining that there wasn''t any food in the house. I was told by someone in my family, "it''s not as if you need any." That comment stuck with me. This comment was not made by someone who was totally into healthy eating either, by the way.

I do want to clarify that it''s not as if we only ate junk food. I did and do really like fruit, and some healthy things. I did grow up on Wonder bread though, as well as 2 % milk, and processed foods.

So now here I am, needing to lose weight, not feeling great about it, KNOWING I need to change certain habits but it''s one thousand times harder to do it consistently. Some good things I do -- only eat whole wheat bread, only use skim milk, drink LOTS of water, lean chicken and ground meat, and low fat or fat free foods whenever possible.

I am responsible for my own decisions as an adult and I realize that. I don''t mean to sound as if I''m blaming anyone, but I didn''t have super role models I suppose.

Okay, that was WAY longer than I intended and I probably went into greater detail than I needed to.
6.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
We always had healthy food, but portion control was something I had problems with, and still do. I didn''t have an appetite until I hit puberty. My parents were always forcing me to eat, but when I hit 11 or so, I was always hungry and since I wasn''t overweight (and I think they were relieved I was eating), they let me. I didn''t have an eating disorder, I just wasn''t hungry and food was not important -- playing was! Eating took too much time.

This is something I kind of struggle with as a mom. I don''t want to force my kids to eat, but they don''t always get enough, IMO, but I guess that''s what the vitamins are helpful with. Trying to make sure they eat what they need without making a huge deal of it and teaching them healthy habits. They do love things like pop tarts, OMG, they love pop tarts. I only buy things like that on occassion because when we have it it''s about all they will eat.

By the way, do your kids try new things for other people when they won''t for you? For example, I have tried and tried to get my kids to eat guacamole, and the way I make it it''s very healthy, and a good nutritious thing for them to eat (and yummy, I think). My younger one still won''t touch it, but my older one went over to my mom''s house and had some a few years ago and LOVED it. I make mine the exact same way my mom makes hers, and I had offered it to him probably five times, but he would never eat it for me. He goes over there and BAM, he loves it!
20.gif

It''s interesting to see what everyone says about this and to see if upbringing is really all that important or if people just do what they''re going to do as adults.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think things you learn when you are growing up DO stick with you in a way into adulthood. an example is the whole ''clean your plate'' kind of mentality when you are growing up, that it''s wasteful to leave food. i know so many people who were raised that way and some feel that kind of mentality actually has contributed to the obesity and overweight epidemic that america faces. so many people as adults were raised to clean their plates, ''people in ethiopia are starving'' ring any bells?? whereas all the diet lifestyle kind of advice is ''eat half and leave the rest'' or take home leftovers or whatever. greg hugely has the ''clean the plate'' mentality and will continue to eat til he''s done basically. i have seen him sit for over an hour watching a movie, slowly and methodically cleaning his plate. i never really learned the clean the plate thing, i always rebelled against it. one night my mom made me sit there trying to get me to eat my veggies. i just daydreamed til it was time for bed, the next day she tried it again and i did the same thing, haha. finally she was like nevermind!

it''s funny too because some of the things i HATED as a child like spinach and lima beans and tomatoes i really like now!! i am way more into fresh veggies, fresh fruits, the nutty brown breads and rices and similar than i ever was as a child when i actually HAD to eat the stuff. i find that much of the more nutty and grainy kind of breads and rices and similar are actually more ''tasty'' with flavors than the white processed stuff. i do still love a fab fresh toasty sourdough loaf, or a grilled cheese with white bread sometimes hehee.

i think that our tastes change through our lives...things i never used to be into i really love now and things i used to be in love with i don''t like so much anymore. so it''s kind of interesting...but i do think that many of our childhood experiences with food do shape who we become for the most part. i got my sweet tooth from my mom, whereas i wasn''t allowed to have sweets too often, when i did have them it was a big deal. and then once i got them more as i got into my teen years i realized i really liked them. but i think that as long as the kids are taught moderation from a young age it will help them all through their lives. i don''t think that they should entirely not have certain things or else they won''t learn how to eat ''bad'' things properly.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
My sister and I were given a lot of conflicting messages about this as children. Certain foods were "bad" for you, but yet my mom served up the velveeta on many dishes, and we always ate fast food on road trips. Snacking was a big no-no (which of course is the wrong message) and then we were served out of control huge portions. Exercise was totally not emphasized at all--the number one priority was school and grades. My parents even made my sister quit athletic activities to ensure that she, always an A student, would not somehow jeapordize her academic status. There was overall an imbalanced approach that I struggle with greatly as an adult, and have worked very hard to overcome. It is going to be lifelong challenge but one I feel I must accept and work at.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 3:02:47 PM
Author:lumpkin
Did you learn about nutrition from your family while you were a child? Was a healthy lifestyle part of your upbringing or did you learn through sports/activities through school or as an adult?
I grew up in a farming town in the midwest, so... no
3.gif

My mom went on an atkins-like diet when I was in middle school and still swears by it, and has tried to get all of us on it, but we have VERY different body types (I metabolize carbohydrates a lot faster/better than fatty meats) so it doesn't work at all for me. I gained weight when I eliminated wheat from my diet as an experiment!
20.gif

I had a really fast metabolism until I hit my twenties and took dance classes for about 15-20 hours per week, so it's really been only in the last 2-3 years that I've had to watch what I eat to stay at my ideal weight. It s@cks, and sometimes I wish I'd had to learn about control at a younger age to keep my weight down, so I wouldn't have to be quite as concious about it now!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I learned the nuts and bolts of nutrition at school (i.e., the food groups, vitamins and what they''re for, etc.) but my dad did all the cooking at his house, and he''s a very conscious vegetarian (as in, careful about getting enough nutrients even though he never TAUGHT us about nutrients). I learned to cook from him, so between his cooking and the Hard Facts I got at school, I''ve always been pretty conscious of healthy lifestytle.

As for sport, my dad is a long time marathon / triathalete kind of guy, although he''s slowing down a LITTLE now that he''s hit 60. He used to make us do lots of exercise, and I hated it when he MADE us do it. I also hated team sports. Still do. But as soon as I went to college and no one was making me do anything, I took up cycling, then running (but left that off.. don''t like it), then going to the gym. I trek a lot too and do weights. So, I guess it somehow sank in! Thanks daddy!

There''s a lot of heart disease in my family with early heart attacks, so my dad was always conscious of controlling the non-genetic factors, and now I am too.

Plus, it feels so good to be healthy and strong. Particularly when you''re small like I am, which can make you feel vulnerable.
23.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely didnt learn it at home. Its only in the last few years that Ive taught myself and cut down. Hardly ate any fruit as a child and a lot of dinners were ready meals or things that could be cooked in a few minutes. I was big into exercise though as a child so the weight didnt come on, but as soon as I stopped it came piling on! I''ll eat healthy at home and if my mother is cooking something that I dont find is healthy, I''ll cook something myself.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My mom has the words "It''s dinner time...get in the car" stenciled across her kitchen, no joke. That should give you some indication of how we ate when I was a child. She had a list of about 30-40 things she could cook and my sister and I would pick what we wanted for dinners from the llist and that''s how she grocery shopped. She bought us fruits and veggies, but if they were put in our lunches they usually wound up in the trash. We ate salads at home with dinner, and always some sort of vegetable, but we ate out quite a bit, or had breakfast (cornbread w/ maple syrup, pancakes and sausage, etc.) for dinner. We were never forced to eat everything on our plates; my mom''s dad had that rule and she thought it was nuts...she told us, eat until you''re full and then stop. More than 1/2 of my dad''s 8 brothers and sister and all of their children are either overweight or obese. At one point I was too. I learned to get a grip through weight watchers and self-discipline. My mom is not a big eater, she''s a snacker (all day long sort of grazing) who makes really bad choices. She is thin though and has never understood what it means to have a weight issue. Both my sister and my father are overweight, they would both probably be classified as obese. I don''t eat fish (my poor DH, he LOVES fish) even knowing how good it is for me. So when he craves fish we usually serve it on a night when we have guests or he prepares a piece of chicken for me and fish for himself. As for exercise, as a kid I was always outside playing and as a teenager I rode my bike everywhere, for hours at a time, so I was extremely physically active, but it wasn''t structured, it was just me being a kid. Now, I do some sort of physical activity every day, whether it be using my elliptical, going for a walk, etc.

If/when we have children, I will place a lot more emphasis on food/nutrition than my parents did, but I''m all about balance. My rule will be that they have to try everything before they say "I don''t like it" but if they don''t that''s okay. I don''t think sugar is evil (our bodies turn everything we eat into sugars, it''s what fuels us) but I don''t think candy bars should be a staple in a child''s diet and most of it should be natural sugars from fruits, etc. I also will be a huge advocate of family outdoor time and "go out and play!" My husband and I love to hike, spend time at the lake and the beach, etc. so those will be activities that we would do with our (non-existant) children to keep them physically active.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, partly. My mother grew up in rural Alberta thus incorporating her lived experiences into our everyday urban life. While growing up we had a huge garden--everything was grown organically and Mom used "crop" rotation techniques as well. We always had the most wonderful fresh veggies, and preserves in the winter. Funny, I bought some Swiss Chard the other day and served it at dinner--we always ate this growing up and I like it very much. But my DH looked at me and said (this is the guy who NEVER complains about food), "I don''t want to ever have to eat that again!" My son agreed, and I laughed.

We had to help weed the garden, and that was a pain I recall. But I would eat my way thru, and I suppose all the spiders and dirt I consumed as a kid helped with the fact I rarely get colds and have no allergies as an adult. That is my theory anyway. That weeding was hard work, but we were extremely active kids outdoors anyway; and that helped to develop my love of sports and exercise that has stayed with me my entire life.

Also, my Mom was ardently against store bought commercially prepared products like cakes and cookies and sweet cereals, so we never had any of this growing up. Rare was it to drink soda pop and eat fast food--for birthday celebrations mostly. However, being an accomplished cook and baker, my Mom passed down her secrets to us, and as a result, my three sisters and I know our way around a kitchen. Too, although I do love Captain Crunch cereal, I rarely eat fast food, drink pop or eat chips; but would rather have an organically grown cucumber or yougert for a snack. I limit the former kind of processed food in my son''s diet.

My Mom was always up on the flouridation issues, and long chain fatty acid info--long before it was in vogue. She refuses to use a microwave and teflon coated anything (we have great debates on this subject!) My formal education corraborated many things she had taught me, and it was kind of enlightening to think what my Mom took for granted had much legitimacy.

One interesting thing is that my Mom always used salt and cream/butter liberally in her diet--and had, many years ago, to stop because of her hypertension. That was a hard lesson to learn, but she is more careful than ever choosing everything she puts into her mouth very healthily and carefully. Growing up it was the bain of my existence, butter on my sandwiches (I cannot stomach butter to this day) and whipped cream on strawberry shortcake. All things in moderation I guess.

cheers--Sharon

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Maya, the whole clean your plate philosophy is what I grew up on. But fortunately, I''m not hung up on wasting food. But I do find it hard not to clean good food off my plate even if I know I''m full. So I try not to put quite as much on it. When I''m serving something the kids especially like they''ll try to get huge portions and I always tell them we shouldn''t put on our plates than we can eat, and if they want more they can have more (they seldom do, though).

Kit, I got a lot of mixed messages too. Mine were EAT! and then DON''T EAT! The whole time I was a kid food was being forced into me, then in high school when I became "bootylicious" my dad would say, "Just don''t eat." Well, we know that''s not the way. I''m just not the anorexic type, but I wonder how many girls hear that, especially from dad, and go, "Oh, okay. I won''t eat."

Musy, my doctor is very into low carb diets. They don''t work for me, either, at least I can''t bear not to eat carbs. I do like whole grains a lot, and I''m not sure how really, truly healthy I think it is to cut them out so stringently. I couldn''t do without fruits and watermelon (especially iin the summer time), either!

Indy, I think it''s great your dad pushed sports and activity. Mine didn''t and I find I''m not either (probably because I''m not athletic). It''s something I need to do starting summer vacation. I know those kids need to run and play hard. I don''t forsee a lot of success in organized team sports but I''m thinking Karate -- I like the mental discipline aspect as well.

Kimberly, was your family supportive when you went to WW? When I lived at home and I''d say I wanted to lose weight, that would be about the time my mom would decide she HAD to bake a chocolate cake, which I can''t even have in the house or I''ll eat at least 3 big pieces a day until it''s gone. Definitely a trigger food, LOL!

Canuk-gal, your mom sounds like an amazing cook. I always heard you weren''t supposed to use aluminum pans (so I guess aluminum foil is out, too, but I use it to catch drips when I bake/roast/broil meat). I''ve wondered about the non-stick coatings, too. A few years ago I read a nutrition book by Dr. Andrew Weil and now I never microwave anything in plastic, but I still do heat things in it. How did your mom do the flouridation? Our water where I live is already flouridated, so we don''t have to worry about it, and we have toothpaste with flouride.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2007 12:38:49 PM
Author: lumpkin

Canuk-gal, your mom sounds like an amazing cook. I always heard you weren't supposed to use aluminum pans (so I guess aluminum foil is out, too, but I use it to catch drips when I bake/roast/broil meat). I've wondered about the non-stick coatings, too. A few years ago I read a nutrition book by Dr. Andrew Weil and now I never microwave anything in plastic, but I still do heat things in it. How did your mom do the flouridation? Our water where I live is already flouridated, so we don't have to worry about it, and we have toothpaste with flouride.
HI:

Thank you, she really is (roll over Martha!
9.gif
)! My Mom would get flouride drops from the Public Health Clinic and flouridate our water..... (gosh I am dating myself here
6.gif
)

I wanted to add that my Dad was also a great cook. He used to fish and loved to prepare different dishes for us--he also loved seafood and made a mean bouillabasse (sp). I always remember him calling me when he got fresh East Coast oysters--we'd shuck and eat them together. He would also hunt on my Mom's family property--small game--then he would prepare lovely wild duck and partridge and quail. I really developed a taste for this game--but eshew goose. Just too fatty for me. Anyway, I got my skill making stews and soups from my Dad too.

I remember my DH (then fiancee) would marvel coming over to our house for dinner--all these busy cooks and great food. I think that is why he really wanted to marry me--for the great meals!

cheers--Sharon

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, was your family supportive when you went to WW? When I lived at home and I''d say I wanted to lose weight, that would be about the time my mom would decide she HAD to bake a chocolate cake, which I can''t even have in the house or I''ll eat at least 3 big pieces a day until it''s gone. Definitely a trigger food, LOL!

Lumpkin, lucky me, they were. I was thin until I hit 20. I moved back home to complete college and gained A LOT of weight between the ages of 20-22. When I joined WW I was living with my parents and they were extremely supportive in the beginning. My mom would purchase the foods I requested, in the beginning my dad started cooking meals I could eat (when he was home -- he worked night shifts) and if we went out to eat as a family they chose places that worked into my eating habits. My dad even started eating healthily with me for a while, I wish it had lasted! They did continue to purchase some junk food, but I have an amazing amount of willpower when necessary, so I chose not to eat it.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, the mixed messages really kill ya, don''t they? For me it was my grandmother, not my parents: She''ll serve up teensy tiny portions and make a big deal of it if you ask for seconds, but then buy everybody ice cream (double scoops!) every time we go out. Then again, she also basically told us granddaughters that we shouldn''t ever date, but have to get married, that men (and sex) are evil, but you have to have babies, and she told my father that I should break up with my then-bf now-DH in college so I could date other men (he''s my only boyfriend).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results