shape
carat
color
clarity

Diaper Bags

false

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone - I know this has been done in the past, but I thought it was time for a new thread on diaper bags for all the current preggos and the BTDT moms who want to assist :)

So...has anyone thought about diaper bags recently? I'm thinking I want to go with a purse-like diaper bag. Not sure if I should get a purse and just buy some kind of insert or go with a proper diaper bag.

The two on my list so far are these:

Nest "Hudson" Diaper Bag http://www.tinytruffles.com/nest-hudson-leather-diaper-bag-black-p-988.html

and this:

Nest "Collins" Diaper Bag http://www.tinytruffles.com/nest-hudson-leather-diaper-bag-black-p-988.html

I know there are some lovers of the Not Rational diaper bags - anyone still like them? think they are too small? Tinytruffles has them for 25% off right now (20% off the Nest bags since they aren't as expensive).

Okay - if you've bought one, post it! If you are looking and found something good, post it! Can't wait to hear the skinny on 2012 diaper bags (and advice from those who have bought before!).

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We registered for a typical messenger style bag. We needed something that my DH would be okay carrying (hence, I'm not getting the Coach diaper bag I want).

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1332866714|3157383 said:
We registered for a typical messenger style bag. We needed something that my DH would be okay carrying (hence, I'm not getting the Coach diaper bag I want).

I know this wouldn't work for everyone, but my dh already had a messenger bag that he could use. That way I still got a diaper bag and he got to use a bag that looks nothing like a diaper bag. We just decide before we leave the house (if we're both going) who's going to wear the LO and who's going to wear the bag! We don't keep either of them stocked with stuff though because we don't carry much. Before we leave we just throw in a few diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes. We actually do even less than that if we're going somewhere quick like the grocery store, we put the diapers and clothes in a wet bag and just leave it in the car and take nothing in the store with us.

Sorry Muff, that was a little OT. This is the bag I have. I would much prefer a nice leather one like you linked but just couldn't justify the expense.

http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Collections-Technique-Diaper/dp/B002VJYEAK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1332867392&sr=8-5

ETA - I tried to link the black damask one.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Muffdog, this is funny; I just spent my morning browsing online and in-store for diaper bags. I, too, would like a purse-like diaper bag so can't wait for suggestions from the BTDT mommies!

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
Ya I hear ya on the expense...some get SUPER pricey!!

Has anyone used/seen the Timi and Leslie bags? They are "vegan" (i.e. fake leather) but come with a lot of stuff in them:

http://www.tinytruffles.com/timi-leslie-hayley-velvet-black-p-1170.html

No - not advertising for TT, just happen to be on their site because of the sale. Other places sell T&L (Zappos, etc) and there are actually lots of videos of them as well.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, you ladies are on a whole different level. The stuff I'm looking at costs around £50. :confused:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
MuffDog|1332869218|3157416 said:
Ya I hear ya on the expense...some get SUPER pricey!!
Has anyone used/seen the Timi and Leslie bags? They are "vegan" (i.e. fake leather) but come with a lot of stuff in them:
http://www.tinytruffles.com/timi-leslie-hayley-velvet-black-p-1170.html
No - not advertising for TT, just happen to be on their site because of the sale. Other places sell T&L (Zappos, etc) and there are actually lots of videos of them as well.

That one doesn't seem like it has much room. I much prefer something that is wide over a bag that's tall. You end up having to dig for stuff.

amc80|1332869237|3157417 said:

I adore those as well. I really like that Alex bag, but it's the price of a nice stroller!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1332870392|3157425 said:
Gosh, you ladies are on a whole different level. The stuff I'm looking at costs around £50. :confused:

Ha, the one we are registered for is $60!

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Good thread. I hope more mommies chime in!

I've been lusting over the Nest Grommet bag. I actually had never heard of the brand until I came across a google search for diaper bags. I love the changing pad in the bottom, but I just can't seem to justify the cost for myself (because unfortunately I don't think I can convince DH that baby NEEDS it! :tongue: ).

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this bag in Blossom: http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Delu...KBTQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1332872956&sr=8-8 It is plenty roomy, has lots of compartments, which helps me remember where I put things that I need. Like Kunzite mentioned, I no longer take mine into the grocery store, or for short shopping trips. Yesterday, for the first time, I put her in the stroller for shopping and tucked the bag in the bottom of the bumbleride.

This would probably be my dream bag: http://www.amazon.com/Petunia-Pickl...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1332873200&sr=1-9 But, I'm too cheap to spend that much. Sometimes, I do wish I had a backpack diaper bag. Maybe if we have another kid, I'll upgrade to this one with all of my amazon points, lol.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
LV, thanks for mentioning the stroller, that's something I forgot to add. One of the cool things that my diaper bag came with are these stroller attachments.

http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Collections-Stroller-Attachment/dp/B0033UWTEY/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_img_b

I love that when I have the stroller with me I never have to put the bag under the stroller, instead it's attached to the handle so it's easily accessible if I need something and doesn't take up room underneath. Love them!

gongjoo143

Shiny_Rock
I shopped long and hard for a diaper bag... about 6 months after having my baby. Initially, I had gotten a very stylish and pricey storksak because it could transition to work easily. Turns out it was too bulky, heavy and impractical for everyday use. I survived by using a big handbag for awhile stashed with nursing cover, burp cloth, changing pad, diapers and wipes. But when my son started eating and needing snacks and a water bottle, I knew I needed a bigger bag.

I bought this one:

http://www.skiphop.com/product/versa.html

Have the "cream links" one with orange insert. I LOVE it. I must have bought and returned 5-6 bags, and ended up with this one. Things that I love - looks like a handbag, so light and not huge (lots of diaper bags are heavy and I'm petite), side or cross body carry (important if you have a late walker like mine), pockets are large, useful and thoughtfully positioned, stroller straps on the sides, easy to wash because it's synthetic.

The only reason why I might end up buying a different bag is to get a backpack style for when #2 comes along. Otherwise, I've been so pleased with this bag and get compliments all the time. I think other websites have it for less too.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite - Mine has straps to attach to stroller too, but haven't used them yet! Not even sure where they are. Your bag is really cute!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gongjoo143|1332878665|3157512 said:
I shopped long and hard for a diaper bag... about 6 months after having my baby. Initially, I had gotten a very stylish and pricey storksak because it could transition to work easily. Turns out it was too bulky, heavy and impractical for everyday use. I survived by using a big handbag for awhile stashed with nursing cover, burp cloth, changing pad, diapers and wipes. But when my son started eating and needing snacks and a water bottle, I knew I needed a bigger bag.

I bought this one:

Have the "cream links" one with orange insert. I LOVE it. I must have bought and returned 5-6 bags, and ended up with this one. Things that I love - looks like a handbag, so light and not huge (lots of diaper bags are heavy and I'm petite), side or cross body carry (important if you have a late walker like mine), pockets are large, useful and thoughtfully positioned, stroller straps on the sides, easy to wash because it's synthetic.

The only reason why I might end up buying a different bag is to get a backpack style for when #2 comes along. Otherwise, I've been so pleased with this bag and get compliments all the time. I think other websites have it for less too.

I like this one too!! I saw this one at BRU and hemmed and hawed over it. I didn't notice, or maybe I don't recall now, that the center unzips to make it wider. Nice!

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock

I bought this one:

That is a cute bag!! On their site I also saw that they have some "Jonathan Adler" designed ones. Cool!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock

I bought this one:

I saw this one when browsing online and liked it a lot. Thanks for reviewing it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have two diaper bags: the Petunia Pickle Bottom Touring Tote (http://www.petunia.com/bags/touring-totes) and a Coach messenger bag. I've only used the messenger bag once because I LOVE the touring tote. It's so roomy without being overwhelmingly big. I can fit diapers, wipes, bottles, a change of clothes, a swaddling blanket, our DSLR camera and a water bottle in there with no problem at all!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Any cloth diapering mamas care to chime in? I keep wondering whether the bag I choose will be able to handle the bulkiness of the cloth diapers and the addition of wet bags, etc.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh I think I like the skip hop versa as well. I usually only carry a wallet anyway so I think a more purse-ish diaper bag is a good beT for me! So glad you started tis thread muff! Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I already have one. I got this bag from a rep last spring (for free!) and have been using it as my everyday bag ever since. It's holding up beautifully, is easily converted into a backpack, and is gender neutral so my husband can carry it and not feel silly. Super easy to clean, and I just don't want to spend $ on a bag that is going to get pee/puke/poop/milk/food/etc. on it all the time. I looked at a ton of Petunia Picklebottoms and Coaches, but I just can't justify spending that much on a bag that is going to get demolished in a couple years not to mention the fact that the patterns I like would just cause me more stress because I'd want to coordinate my outfits around them. Now, if someone were to buy me, say, something neutral like a LV Neverfull...I wouldn't turn up my nose at it. ;))

http://www.overlandequipment.com/product/backpacks/504-86-79-14

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still love the not rational bag. I have 2...I actually bought the black bag for a work bag.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
TravelingGal|1332903167|3157897 said:
I still love the not rational bag. I have 2...I actually bought the black bag for a work bag.

Do you find it holds enough? Is it heavy?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh! I'm glad this thread was started! Even though I am still pre-TTC, the ONLY piece of baby gear that I haven't decided on already is the diaper bag (I used to nanny so I've tried almost everything!). I know some people swear by Petunia Pickle Bottom backpacks and messenger bags, but I always hated having to lift the flap when reaching inside with one hand. I like cute prints on diaper bags and my purses are usually cheap so I doubt I would get a Coach. I think the PPB tote might fit my preferences though!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
MuffDog|1332904154|3157908 said:
TravelingGal|1332903167|3157897 said:

Do you find it holds enough? Is it heavy?

heavier than a lot of the fabric ones, but not that heavy at all (I have a bad back, so I am picky about these kinds of things). Depends on the leather you get too. I thought it held a lot, but I also wasn't crazy about carrying a ton.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
Loves Vintage|1332873697|3157453 said:
I have this bag in Blossom: http://www.amazon.com/Skip-Hop-Delu...KBTQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1332872956&sr=8-8 It is plenty roomy, has lots of compartments, which helps me remember where I put things that I need. Like Kunzite mentioned, I no longer take mine into the grocery store, or for short shopping trips. Yesterday, for the first time, I put her in the stroller for shopping and tucked the bag in the bottom of the bumbleride.

This would probably be my dream bag: http://www.amazon.com/Petunia-Pickl...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1332873200&sr=1-9 But, I'm too cheap to spend that much. Sometimes, I do wish I had a backpack diaper bag. Maybe if we have another kid, I'll upgrade to this one with all of my amazon points, lol.

VL- I really love that PPB bag! It's so bright and fun and I LOVE that it's a backpack. The price is a lot less than the Nest one I was lusting over, so maybe I can convince myself it's a good compromise. I will be home with baby for at least the first year, so I think I can justify $100ish dollars for my daily bag, right? :bigsmile:

NEL- How has the fabric held up on your PPB bag?

Mia- Thank you for bringing up the flap issue! I must say that I do prefer zipper only backpacks to the ones with a flap. I find myself annoyed when I can't get to my wallet or keys fast enough. I'll have to remember that when looking.

I really would like a backpack, but I worry it would get worn out faster from rubbing against my back. For traveling I've always used the Vera Bradley backpacks to hold my things, however, they get worn really easy with daily use. I've switched to the Longchamp backpack recently and love it- it would just be too small for baby gear. I usually only carry my wallet and keys and get so annoyed with a heavy purse, so backpack purses have worked well for me and probably would be better with baby to keep my hands free. Off to look!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Petite, the material has held up pretty well, but I've only used it for a month. There is one tiny snag, but not noticeable. I figured it would get snagged often with me pulling it in and out of the stroller basket all the time. I should probably use the stroller clips.

Mia, I feel the same way about the messenger bag flap. It's just one more obstacle. Plus the shape doesn't allow for as much "stuff". I often leave the PPB tote unzipped for super easy access.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
NEL- I was wondering if you could leave it unzipped! When left unzipped is the opening narrow enough? I also hate scrapping my hand on a stiff zipper. Does it also stand on its own? And you feel like it carries enough?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results