shape
carat
color
clarity

Decor Inspiration

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Where do you look when you want to redecorate? It is finally time to get our (painfully narrow) living room looking like we live in it:) I love color, but my dh prefers neutrals. For awhile I was hooked on reds/browns/oranges but have been talked down from the chocolate brown walls I was envisioning. Now I've moved on to something more in a soft gray/blue undertone with burgundy and teal. I'm finding it very difficult to find all three in one image on-line. I'm also open to other ideas. If you have any, picture the fact that it a 10'x30' room (long and narrow) we have light cherry wood floors and a dark brown/tv console. We are in the market for a new couch, so since that can be anything, or options for the walls are also open.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I agree on searching for google images. When you do that, all kinds of cool blogs show up. Search things like living room decor or color schemes.

Also, younghouselove.com is a great site for low budget decor. I could (and do) spend too much time on there! They do a lot of decorating for people that write in to them, and they always start out with a color scheme. It might take some searching but they have a lot of cool color combos. I would also try to find one piece to tie everything in with...fabric or a pillow or a cool wallhanging, picture, etc. and then go from there. It's better to establish direction from the beginning. Oh, and google living room mood board and stuff should come up as well.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I like Houzz, as someone else mentioned. I have a list of design blogs that I read every day to keep me inspired. Even if I don't love a blogger's new room 100%, just seeing the rooms is inspiring and I can pick and choose the things I like about it.

My style is very similar to Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel (I know, so unoriginal :tongue: ) so I like to check out their websites for inspiration.

eta: For your specific situation, I would start with a couch, some chairs, and a rug. You probably want to keep the furniture neutral, since your DH likes neutrals and they're easier to change out, but then get a rug that has the colors you like. Red and blue (in many shades) are a very common combination (I have it in my living room, actually), so finding a rug that combines both shouldn't be too hard. Once you have the rug pick out the paint color and pillows. I think a rug really grounds the room and it will be difficult to pick out accessories first and then try to find a rug that matches.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
These are great suggestions. I've never seen houzz before, I love that I can save create an "ideabook". Much easier than dragging and dropping everything to my desktop.

Elrohwen-I've got nothing against C&B! I just bought the Cameron Sleeper in the fall for my office/guest bed. They were running a custom upholstery sale so that we ended up with it costing less to have our pick of fabric vs. the stock set up! So far, I'm really impressed with the quality of the construction of it.

Currently, we are looking at this couch from R&B:
12.png

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
I love those couches you posted. So modern and fun!!!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
It's official, I am totally addicted to the houzz site. But are there more? Where else do people look for inspiration? Extra credit if it is search-able by colors/rooms.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
hgtv's site as well as it's ratemyspace is searchable by room.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Younghouselove.com has mood boards that are searchable by color and room! Though I like to see fully decorated spaces so I can get ideas for how to place things.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you heraanderson and elrohwen.

As an update, we went to check out the couch from R&B today, and it was perfect for us. We got a little gun shy, after deciding on the custom fabric though, as the total was a bit more than we expected. So we are now looking around to see what else is out there in the $4000 price range for sectionals.

We picked the mosaic graphite, which was unexpected but more muted than than the internet swatch makes it seem.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
That's a lot of money for a sectional - I'm sure you'll be able to find something fantastic for that budget! Keep us updated. And if you can't find anything, I'm all for paying a bit extra for what you really really love.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what really changed the price point is the custom fabric. It's an eye opener, but we feel we'd rather have it be exactly what we wanted even if it is an extra $1000. Then of course tax and shipping! So since that's including those aspects. It was just, once we realized that was where we were ending up, we realized that was similar for C&B, Pottery Barn, Restoration, Basset, Ethan Allen. However, we haven't hit go yet, so if you have any other ideas of where to look for similar quality L sectionals PLEASE let me know :bigsmile: We are in the NYC metro area, so unfortunately the great deal random furniture warehouses don't seem to be here. The ones that are, are more like buying in the $700 range for furniture that will only last 2-3 years before falling apart at the staples.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results