shape
carat
color
clarity

daughters bug bite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I am trying to figure out if my daughter needs to go to urgent care over a bug bite.

She is 5 1/2 has what looks like a bug bite on her middle finger. I can''t really see where the bug bite itself is. She woke up this morning saying her finger really itched. Her whole finger is all red and swollen. She says it itches and I have been putting an itch cream on it and a band aide to help her not itch it so much. She has some redness that has gone onto the palm of her hand as well. She says it does not hurt and she can bend it just fine without it hurting. It just itches her like crazy.

She does get very swollen when she gets bit by misquotes. Her bites will swell up to a .50 cent piece or larger with them feeling really hard like a knot. So considering she swells so much I am thinking that a bug bite on her finger may just swell up her whole finger like it has. At the same time it looks really bad and I can''t really see where the actual bite is.

I guess since she has no other trouble with it I should just let it be another day or so.

Anyone ever had a bug bite reaction like this before? I am usually better safe than sorry, however I am not really wanting an urgent care bill for a bug bite.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suffer from bad allergies so I tend to be allergic to spider bites. I can tell when I am bit because the bite swells and it is crazy itchy! I take benadryl; I don't know if kids can take benadryl and I am not a medical professional so I cannot advise you on what to do. Sometimes you can call the poison hotline or does your insurance company have a dial a nurse number? I called dial a nurse one time and advised me over the phone on what to do and it helped. Or could you put in a call to your family doctor??? I hope your little one feels better soon.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It could be local reaction to a bug bite, but it could also be a bacteral infection. If it continues to spread, or does not improve, I would get it evaluated over the weekend.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I have goggled bug bite and ran acrossed something called cellulitus...red, swollen and hot to the touch. Which it is...hmmmm not sure what to do. I am trying to post a pic but I can''t get it sized right. I will keep working on it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 8:12:44 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
It could be local reaction to a bug bite, but it could also be a bacteral infection. If it continues to spread, or does not improve, I would get it evaluated over the weekend.
Yeah I agree w/ Ltl. Given your daughter''s previous reactions, I definitely wouldn''t get too worried just yet.

Also lauralu, I thought I''d let you know that I have a hypersensitive reaction to mosquito bites as well. We had a mosquito problem in my old apartment, and they looooved to bite me in the middle of the night. And I''d wake up immediately when they bit, b/c it doesn''t make me itch it HURTS. Not to mention the swelling! Sooo annoying. But not dangerous though. Benadryl might be a good idea; it definitely helps w/ the swelling for me.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
sorry this is so big...the red going up on to her hand is from today. This morning it was just her finger..im going to wally world for some benedryl

101_4735.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Keep an eye on it....and give her some benadryl too. If it continues to remain swollen/hot to the touch/painful, have someone take a look at it to make sure she isnt developing a skin infection.

Good luck and keep us posted!
2.gif

eta: I just saw your pic. It defnintely looks suspicious. Just watch it very closely, and if symptoms worsen, bring her to get evaluated.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Dani I was hoping you would see this thread & chime in.

Lauralu her finger is swollen quite a bit huh? The redness could be from scratching, maybe give her benedryl for the itching/swelling. I think you can wait & see but if the swelling gets worse, she develops a fever, pain, a bruise appears etc... I would take her in.

Hope she feels better soon!

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Skippy,VegasAngel,Firecrecker iceKid and Dani.......I went and got the Benadryl and gave her some late last night. I set my alarm to wake up twice during the night to check her hand. It is better. This morning it looks even better. Not as swollen and the red going up her hand looks better too.

One of my older girls had orbitol cellulitus when she was little. When I took her to the dr they said 24 hours later and it would have been a different story. She would have been very ill. All she had was a little redness under her eye and just alittle swollen. Nothing that looked very bad to me. Just that it was getting worse pretty quickly. It was just a fluck i got her into the dr for an end of the day appt that day. When I was reading last night about it again and how you can get it other places.I got alittle nervous. I am just happy she is better now.

Thanks again everyone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Glad it is looking better :).

Orbital cellutitis is a different beast. The eye does not like to be infected. The skin and can handle it a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results