shape
carat
color
clarity

Chirstmas Picture Ideas

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We just had professional pictures taken of our daughter, but they werre done too early for Christmas. So now I want to take a picture of her in her dress for our family Christmas card. Any great ideas for locations? Props? Tips for taking a great picture?

We live in San Diego, so snow shots aren't an option!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We had her photos taken at our friend's home with simple backdrops (I think that's what they are called). We bought a "my first christmas" onesie, a reindeer outfit, and a santa hat. That was about it. They got some great pics of her reading a huge (well big in comparison) christmas book so those were cute.

I used shutterfly for the cards, btw. They have sales all the time!

ETA: How old will J be by the time of the pics? We did S's 1st year pics more recently. We found with her it needed to be short and sweet. Best time was right after she woke up for the day.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Oh , Fiery, I like the book idea. We have Polar Express could do that with a bell! Thanks for sharing. She'll be 1 day shy of 10 months on Christmas Day.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Fiery's pics were GREAT last year!

I took some pics on my own last year of Jacks in fake snow (that bag of white stuff that you kinda pull apart but still stays all fluffy? he LOVED playing in it and made a huge mess!) with ornaments, stockings, and even one with a string of lights wrapped around him. I also saw some cute ones of babies IN big stockings.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sabine. Love the light idea. I'm trying not to spend $ on props.

I'm not sure how this will go as the child refuses to sit up for any length of time.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I totally forgot about holiday photos!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
What can I say, you're awesome. That's why women are on Earth.

gingerB

Shiny_Rock
for the christmas pics we dressed A up in a red and white striped footie plopped him on a bed made up with white linens and that's it. we gave him an ornament to play with and a candy cane. i LOVE the oversized christmas book idea. and the lights. (storing away ideas for next year)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09|1289821400|2766422 said:
What can I say, you're awesome. That's why women are on Earth.

Bwahaha! I remember minutae, don't ask me where my car keys are.

Ginger, we may be bed propping, but J throws herself over in -2 seconds. The kid hates sitting up.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah we can't do any bed propping here. J woudl launch himself head first over the side 2 seconds later. I don't care how many pillows there are.

LOVE the fake snow idea. Even leaves would be cool. When we get our xmas tree we might try to do something fun but I dunno. A pic of J pulling the tree down on himself--not so cute.

I did get J one of those candy cane striped hats from Gymboree, it's SOOO CUTE. I would love a pic with all 4 of us but I don't see it happening by the time I will need to get the pics done, so if we can get one of J in a holiday something or other, and then maybe 2 from earlier in the year, we can do one of those 3 pic cards.

And I am now realizing one of the down sides of having a kid born Feb 1 is that I don't want to spring for the holiday photos in late Nov and then the 1 year pics in late Jan too. Drat!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mara we had gjpictgures taken in Oct with my nephew, and we're doing family pictures in Feb for 1 yr and my mom's bday, can't justify pictures this month, but her Christmas outfits warrant some sort of photograohy session. I have an off-white fluffy blanket we could use, and maybe we could head to the park down the street. We're skipping big tree as I don't want our holiday to be spent chasing J away from it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Mara|1289838047|2766638 said:
And I am now realizing one of the down sides of having a kid born Feb 1 is that I don't want to spring for the holiday photos in late Nov and then the 1 year pics in late Jan too. Drat!

This is why you buy a big fancy DSLR like me and be your OWN photog :naughty:

I wish some of you lived near me. I would LOVE to take the baby Christmas pictures. I am looking forward to doing Micah's!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about having J fake suck on one of those massive jumbo sized candy canes? With an ornament beside her that says 'Baby's 1st Christmas'?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1289847460|2766875 said:
How about having J fake suck on one of those massive jumbo sized candy canes? With an ornament beside her that says 'Baby's 1st Christmas'?

This is a really cute idea too ::)

We may be doing milk and cookies this year but we aren't doing professional pics for a while. We'll see if I can pull it off with my point and shoot lol. The idea though is to take some pics of her eating a big cookie (or maybe several cookies with frosting) and drinking a glass of milk with the caption "santa I can explain"

IDK if we'll be able to do it though. It's really hard to get toddlers to stay still. If we do, I'm guessing frosting would be the way to go. The sweeter the cookie, the more relaxed she'll be while eating it :bigsmile:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol I love these ideas!!

MP... yes! I AM finally going to suck it up and get a DSLR, I had the chance to play with one this wkd and the difference between that and the point and shoot is really obvious, esp when you have a wiggly, swaying little worm like J. The P&S is really frustrating at this point because he's so fast. Just gotta figure out what I need exactly and then get an 'early' Xmas gift from G so that I can have it in time for (some) of the holiday!

Oh and I had to laugh at the 'fake suck'.. .there'll be no fake sucking!!! Once that kid latches onto that candy cane, it ain't going nowhere. But I love that idea.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
J is too food happy to do the candy cane thing, she'd get it open. I have a friend who takes great pictures, maybe I'll enlist her if my attempts fail.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
These are the pictures we took.....

We took the pictures at our own house (my sister took the pictures)...we just laid a blanket down and threw some Christmas ornaments around him. I bought a red blanket at Walmart and covered up an area of the coffee table and propped our stockings up around him. Then we used our own presents and Christmas tree as the background.

evanchristmas1.jpg

christmasevan2.jpg

christmasevan3.jpg

christmasevan4.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, Tao. I'm not very artistic/creative. I just hope she'll sit still long enough for one good shot. The book may help.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gingerB|1289827164|2766451 said:
for the christmas pics we dressed A up in a red and white striped footie plopped him on a bed made up with white linens and that's it. we gave him an ornament to play with and a candy cane. i LOVE the oversized christmas book idea. and the lights. (storing away ideas for next year)

Candy canes are great. We did these for a number of years to keep the kids happy looking during their Santa photos. They mostly were calm. It was the Easter bunny who scared the crap out of my younger son. He screamed his head off one year at the bunny costume with the massive head! No amount of suckers/candy promises calmed him down. In the end, the photo turned out with one kid smiling and the other crying. lol

The cutests I've seen is a friend of mine took her kids downtown and had them dressed in their Christmas outfits while standing in front of a lit tree. There wasn't any snow, but with the lights of the tree and then the background city holiday lights, the kids looked adorable. She made her own photo cards and had them printed out at one of the local developers.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Tao, I know I saw those last year, but the one of him passed out on the presents is priceless!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kim - What if you wait a bit... and take her to a Christmas tree lot... and get some creative shots of her toddling about through the evergreens?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My favorite pic from JT's first Christmas was him holding a book. He opened it and looked like he was reading it! So adorable!!

I love the ornament/baby pic!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea, dragon, but she won't be toddling this Christmas. Army crawling backwards, rolling and turning in circles are her choice ways to get around. But perhaps a tree lot could be the perfect backdrop!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying to find outfits for us to wear. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of blanking . . . which is unusual, cause I'm usually good at this stuff.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH|1289964397|2769481 said:
I love the idea, dragon, but she won't be toddling this Christmas. Army crawling backwards, rolling and turning in circles are her choice ways to get around. But perhaps a tree lot could be the perfect backdrop!

It'd be cool if you could catch her trying to play with a tree somehow... like the bottom branches.

Another thought is ornaments, but you'd have to be closely supervising to make sure she doesn't break them.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09|1290006914|2769874 said:
I'm trying to find outfits for us to wear. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm kind of blanking . . . which is unusual, cause I'm usually good at this stuff.

Penn, you have a boy and girl right? Anything specific you are looking for with the picture?

I LOVE when boys are dressed in "grown up" clothes like the sweater vest and khakis. So cute. Whatever colors he wears, I'm sure you can find a matching dress.

Carter's has specific Christmas onesies but your twins are older, right? They also sell candy cane/christmas-y pjs if you want to go that route.

If we do photos, Sophia will just be wearing a red velvet dress I purchased from Carters. Or, if we do the cookies I'll try to find some pjs.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09|1290006914|2769874 said:
Penn, Hannah Anderson has a cute family holiday line as does Gymboree. Depends if you want them matchy-matchy which I think is really cute at their age!

http://www.hannaandersson.com/categ...ation-_-Family Collections Snow And Mistletoe

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_c...older_id=2534374303981667&bmUID=1290016656323

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I was at Target the other day and they had some cute outfits (I bought the Santa Costume there last year...and they are back again)...they also had some cute Elf in Training Costumes....But they only went to size 9 months...I'm not sure how old the twins are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results