shape
carat
color
clarity

Child''s 1st dentist visit?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
So it''s gearing up for Open Enrollment for the insruance plans at work, which has me wondering at what age should a child first see the dentist? Kyle''s only 8 months old now, but if he needs to go before he''s 2 all have to add him this year, if not I can wait until next year...

When did you take yours to the dentist for the first time?

lili

Ideal_Rock
My little one is 18 months and we haven''t taken her yet.
Will do so when she''s 2.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thank lili! My SIL is a hygenist, so I''d normally ask her, but she gets her dog''s teeth cleaned more often than I have mine done, so I figure she wouldn''t suggest the "normal" age
2.gif
. I was thining around 2 sounded right.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
My 2.5 year old hasn''t gone yet. Our pediatrician said that the most recent recommendation by dentists was that they go for the first time at one year old but she thinks that''s just a money making scheme! We were told that by 3 years old they should have their first visit so we''ll be taking her within the next 6 months.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard 3 too.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
AAPD recommends your child see the dentist by the age of 1. I asked my dentist about it and she said I don''t need to bring him in until 2 or 3, so that''s what I plan to do.

lili

Ideal_Rock
I''d go w/ 3 if DD didn''t have such a sweet tooth and a bit more cooperative w/ brushing her teeth :D

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best thing to do now is for you to focus on getting your son into a routine where he has his teeth "brushed" and then goes to bed with something like water rather than juice. Eight months old is SO young though, but I mean as he grows into a toddler.

Maybe add him next year unless the premium is very cheap.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, I think I''ll add him next year, and take him sometime between 2 and 3. He only has 2 half way in teeth at this point, so it''s hard to imagine dental visits! But I work in the benefits department, so I try to stay on top of my insurance needs
2.gif
. It''s like $15 a month to add him, so not too expensive, but not something I think he''ll need for next year.

MC - I need to get out the gum brush thing I have and start him on a routine. He doesn''t take a bottle to bed, and I don''t plan on ever letting him to avoid that whole issue...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When your son is older, check out ACT kids bubblegum flavored teeth rinse. It prevents cavaties and works VERY well. It''s for kids 6 and older. You probably could try it out once your son turns 4 or 5. My son began using it then.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took my oldest DD to her first visit a year ago right after she turned three. She''s all fine and dandy.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
At least I won''t have to worry about the dental then. Now I just have to figure out medical. The HMO I''ve been on had a 16% increase this year (my c-section, baby in the NICU and blood poisening probably contributed to that
20.gif
), so I have 2 other plans to pick from. The high-deductible type that my company give us part of the money towards, or a PPO with a 1K deductible. Or just stick it out on the HMO...

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I took my kids somewhere between 2 and 3 the first time. My oldest is in Jr. High and my second oldest will be next year and none of them have any cavities. I do take them every 6 months like clockwork.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember my first visit to the dentist, I was four.
My parents were a bit relaxed about things, to put it lightly.
Three sounds better to me!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I took A when she was 7 months - she had her first teeth by then and I just took her along when I had my appointment. The dentist was great with her and had a really good look at her mouth to make sure everything was healthy. He gave me a lot of good advice to prevent problems in the future and recommended that I bring her back every six months.

Dental care is free in my area, so I''m pretty sure it isn''t a money making scheme, although dentists are paid according to their patient list, so who knows? I am reassured that any problems or early signs of damage will be picked up quickly, so I''m happy to go.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 11:26:49 AM
Author: Haven
I remember my first visit to the dentist, I was four.
My parents were a bit relaxed about things, to put it lightly.
Three sounds better to me!
I''m fairly relaxed too. . .probably why my older son has a filling!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD was around 2.5 because her baby teeth started coming in around 11 to 12 months. Her 12 yr molars finally came through earlier this year and she is 16.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results