shape
carat
color
clarity

Chest infection - contagious?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hey PSers, I have a question for any medicos out there. I have a bacterial chest infection, taking erthryomicin 250mg, 4 per day. Problem is my little brother is leaving to go overseas tomorow and he wants to see me tonight. I am not sure if I would be catchy? I don''t want to make him sick as he is dancing on cruise ship to work for the next few months and the last thing he needs to be is sick.

We are both torn cos we want to say goodbye, but don''t want him to get sick.

Does anyone know if bacterial chest infections are contagious? I thought viral ones are usually passed on from one to another. My partner hasn''t caught it and we have been sleeping in the same bed, kissing etc *all of which I don''t plan to do with my brother!* so I am wondering if we are safe?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Bacterial infections are not nearly as contagious as viral. You can go say goodbye, just don''t kiss him.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kimberly, I thought as much. I am feeling shocking anyway, so I am giving dinner tonight a miss and going to see him off at the airport tomorow. Arghh! Airports make me so sad
39.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Usually bacterial infections are from overgrowth of bacteria you already have in your body. This usually happens because of something else, like a virus causing a lot of mucous (bacteria thrive in warm moist places).

Usually after 24-48 hours after you have been on antibiotics that are the correct ones for your bug, and you are fever free, you are not contagious for the bacterial component. However, nothing is 100%. If you still have a virus, antibiotics will no nothing for that.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you''re feeling so terrible. Did you make it to the airport to say goodbye?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 8:00:53 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Usually bacterial infections are from overgrowth of bacteria you already have in your body. This usually happens because of something else, like a virus causing a lot of mucous (bacteria thrive in warm moist places).

Usually after 24-48 hours after you have been on antibiotics that are the correct ones for your bug, and you are fever free, you are not contagious for the bacterial component. However, nothing is 100%. If you still have a virus, antibiotics will no nothing for that.
That''s what I was going to say. So depends on how long you been on the drugs.

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
That is not true about bacteria infections being less contagious than viral ones. However, once on antibiotics for 24 hours your risk of infecting anyone else is minimal as long as the bacteria is susceptible to the antibiotic.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the replies guys! Unfortunately, I didn''t make it to the airport, I was just too sick to go and I really didn''t want to run the risk of infecting him. I am a lot better now, though I did spend a good 6 days at home resting.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
honey - sorry you missed your brother, but glad that you are feeling better after the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results