shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheap (and healthy)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
ETA: I realized I used "..." in my title and it cut off the rest of the thread title. It is supposed to read -Cheap (and healthy) "Chili" Recipe

FF and I make this "chili" once a week. Its delicious and not too expensive to make (we average about $7.50 each time and it makes enough for lunch the next day for the two of us). Some of you who make "real" chili might scoff at this but its genuine enough for us.
1.gif

We got this recipe from Mens Health magazine online several months ago.

1 lb (or a little more) lean (93/7) ground turkey
1 packet of chili seasoning
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (we use the kind with green chilis or jalapenos)
1 14 oz can yellow corn (unsweetened)
1 14 oz can black beans

Saute the meat and drain the liquid. Dissolve the chili mix in 1 cup of water and pour into pan with sauteed meat.

Drain the corn and beans and add to the meat and chili mix. Add the tomatoes (with the liquid in the can too).

Mix everything well and let simmer until it has thickened up a little bit. We like to let most of the water evaporate so the flavor is stronger but if you like it more runny then you can eat it as soon as it is heated through.

I hope you enjoy this quick and simple meal as much as we do!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
That sounds good!

I usually take a can of red kidney beans (Bush makes a nice one that''s spicey), a lb of ground sirloin (less fat, more steaky tasting), a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of basil, 5 tablespoons of chili powder, pretty much a whole head of minced garlic (smack the head with the mincer to release the skins) (invest in a nice mincer-mine is pampered chef--I really like it), a couple tablespoons sugar (to cut the acid and round the flavor off), a chopped up purple onion, and a big can of diced tomatoes...

Brown the beef with the onion and drain. Throw everything else in and simmer. Eat with corn bread. Heaven.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My mouth is watering! We will try that one next time. Sounds so easy!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I forgot to tell you to add water, to taste!

And, well, I have been known to crack open a beer and share half of it with the chilli as it simmers. (1/2 in the pot, 1/2 in me.)
27.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
FI and I make almost the same chili! Except that we use diced tomatoes plus a can of tomato sauce, no corn, and usually kidney beans (though we like to mix it up with different types). Oh, and FI has made me add bell peppers lately (usually orange ones, he just likes the orange ones for some reason!) and I often add spicy peppers of some sort. Mmm ... chili ...

Oh, and I almost always make corn bread to go with it!

ETA: I also add garlic and onions. I forgot about them because I just automatically add them to everything!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results