shape
carat
color
clarity

Charting BBT to PREVENT pregnancy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone do it? Or know where I can find more information on it?

I am thinking of going off birth control but DH and I are not ready to TTC yet. I realize that charting is less effective, and we''ve decided that although we are not ready to *plan* a pregnancy it wouldn''t be the end of the world if it happened.

But is charting at all effective at decreasing your chances? I am particularly concerned with the fact that charting really only seems to confirm ovulation, and by that time it is too late because the sperm could already be there. We are planning on using condoms during the riskier periods too.

Anyway, all I know at this point is I would like to go off BC. I had a really bad experience recently that I feel might be caused by it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read this book: amazon link and found it pretty informative. Could be a starting point for you.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Addy, I''ve heard of that on but I thought it was geared toward couples who are TTC, but I see from the description that it can be for people trying to avoid pregnancy too. Cool, I''ll definitely pick it up.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided with an international relationship that I didn''t actually want to avoid pregnancy that way. I wasn''t sure I could keep up with the time difference while I travelled so I never actually used it to avoid getting pregnant. One of my close friends read it and ended up using that and fertility friend to avoid getting pregnant for about the first six months of her marriage. Then they decided they want a baby.

The book seems like a good starting point but since I never actually did I''m not sure what other resources are needed. Another board that I''m a member of had a ton of people "charting to avoid", but I don''t know what the rules are about linking other sites/forums.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mia, I strongly suggest that you don't use charting as a sole method of birth control unless you are also ready for a child. It can be pretty effective, but at the same time it isn't in any way foolproof IMO. So it isn't a good idea to use it as your sole source of birth control unless you are ok with an "oops" baby.

If you follow it religiously you can certainly decrease your chances, but it's not as effective as other forms of BC.

But if you are interested in learning more the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great place to start, they also have forums and a website. Covers TTC and avoiding as well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Unless your cycle is clockwork regular, you have been off BCP for long enough to be sure that it is and you don''t work shifts etc then I would say it could be a good method - but...

Only if you are going to track things like cervix position and CM as well. BBT alone I wouldn''t trust at all.

You will still need to use protection for a good 9 days a month or so anyway just to be sure.

I would only use it if getting pg would be okay.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
We''ve charted to avoid successfully in the past, and I think that some of the currently pregnant and TTC girls have done it successfully as well . I''m planning to use it again after this baby comes - hormonal birth control just does a number on my body. It''s obviously not as effective as some other methods, and is more prone to user error, but it sounds like an oops baby wouldn''t be the end of the world for you.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a wonderful book, both for trying to avoid and conceive. I''d highly recommend it. It comes with a trial version of charting software that I found more helpful than Fertility Friend, plus you just have to pay once to be able to use the software forever (which is great when you''re trying to avoid). Fertility Friend has basic free software but you have to pay on a monthly basis if you want their VIP version. They have a free trial of their VIP version, so definitely use both of the free trials and see which you prefer. Paper also works, but software does some of the thinking for you.

You''ll want to use condoms (or another barrier) each time, every time for your first 4 cycles or so that you can get the hang of charting. It can be a bit confusing at first. BBT just verifies that you''ve ovulated but not when you''re fertile, and you may not even have very clear temp shifts, so unless you''re planning on condoms until ovulation is confirmed each month, you really should chart CM and cervical position as well. That''s what tells you when you''re fertile and it makes it much more effective as birth control.

Some of the girls on the TTC thread are incredibly knowledgable about charting and would probably be happy to help even if you''re not trying for a baby. Fertility Friend and Ovusoft (Taking Charge of Your Fertility''s website) also have forums just about charting.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds scary!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 7:43:54 PM
Author: Blenheim
We''ve charted to avoid successfully in the past, and I think that some of the currently pregnant and TTC girls have done it successfully as well . I''m planning to use it again after this baby comes - hormonal birth control just does a number on my body. It''s obviously not as effective as some other methods, and is more prone to user error, but it sounds like an oops baby wouldn''t be the end of the world for you.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a wonderful book, both for trying to avoid and conceive. I''d highly recommend it. It comes with a trial version of charting software that I found more helpful than Fertility Friend, plus you just have to pay once to be able to use the software forever (which is great when you''re trying to avoid). Fertility Friend has basic free software but you have to pay on a monthly basis if you want their VIP version. They have a free trial of their VIP version, so definitely use both of the free trials and see which you prefer. Paper also works, but software does some of the thinking for you.

You''ll want to use condoms (or another barrier) each time, every time for your first 4 cycles or so that you can get the hang of charting. It can be a bit confusing at first. BBT just verifies that you''ve ovulated but not when you''re fertile, and you may not even have very clear temp shifts, so unless you''re planning on condoms until ovulation is confirmed each month, you really should chart CM and cervical position as well. That''s what tells you when you''re fertile and it makes it much more effective as birth control.

Some of the girls on the TTC thread are incredibly knowledgable about charting and would probably be happy to help even if you''re not trying for a baby. Fertility Friend and Ovusoft (Taking Charge of Your Fertility''s website) also have forums just about charting.
Good advice, ditto it all. One this to really remember is that the TRUE key to charting to avoid is not the temperature-taking... it is monitoring your cervical fluid. That is the sign that tells you when to stop having unprotected sex. Some find this more of less easy to monitor. By my third month off the pill I had gotten quite good at monitoring it (which involves sticking your fingers in your vajayjay, just a warning!
2.gif
) and my signs were so clear that I think I would trust it in the future. But for many women, their cervical fluid is not very easy to read, and if that is the case, I would NOT trust charting as a method of bcp.

The only type of BC that I trust 100% is the pill... all the others have about the same failure rate, so you probably need to be okay with an "oops". Though I also dislike bcp, I am not sure I will be okay with an oops until our first child is about 2 years old, so I may have to go back on the good ol'' pill
14.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I did it for a couple months after coming off BCP, and it worked. I basically was vigilant about checking my cervical mucus and checking for other signs of fertility. For the first month or so we tried to use condoms around any possibly ''fertile'' times but DH doesn''t like them, so that didn''t work, so we went without. It wasn''t a problem. But of course, I wouldn''t have minded an ''oops; either.
2.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
BUMMER, MAN!

I was hoping for some more positive comments because I really don''t want to be on BC any longer. But I did a little research and I read somewhere that with perfect use it can be as good as condoms but when human error is taken into account it more like only 75% effective.
23.gif

Oh well I definitely want to try it for a little while and just see what I am like without BC. We wouldn''t use it as our only method. We will also use condoms. We used them for years with BC, but stopped recently because I felt like they were irritating me down there. But hopefully that will improve when I am off the hormones (although it wasn''t that bad anyway). And let''s face it, we be happy if we had an "oops" too. We both want children, but we just aren''t going to actively plan on one for a little while. We have had a few "scares" in our 9 years together and have been genuinely sad when the results came back negative. So an "oops" would be a shock but we''d be happy too.

Anyway, I have no problem checking my cervix too and Cervical Mucas. I have been checking it recently just to experiment and I know that I can feel a lot of subtle differences. I have also noticed all the different types of CM too. Now I am on BC, so obviously these things will change but I feel like I know what to look for so hopefully my body will show me the signs when I am on my own hormones.

Okay going to look for the book now!

I''ll probably be in the preggo thread in a little bit with my foot in my mouth huh?
9.gif
Wish me luck!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 7:43:54 PM
Author: Blenheim
We've charted to avoid successfully in the past, and I think that some of the currently pregnant and TTC girls have done it successfully as well . I'm planning to use it again after this baby comes - hormonal birth control just does a number on my body. It's obviously not as effective as some other methods, and is more prone to user error, but it sounds like an oops baby wouldn't be the end of the world for you.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a wonderful book, both for trying to avoid and conceive. I'd highly recommend it. It comes with a trial version of charting software that I found more helpful than Fertility Friend, plus you just have to pay once to be able to use the software forever (which is great when you're trying to avoid). Fertility Friend has basic free software but you have to pay on a monthly basis if you want their VIP version. They have a free trial of their VIP version, so definitely use both of the free trials and see which you prefer. Paper also works, but software does some of the thinking for you.

You'll want to use condoms (or another barrier) each time, every time for your first 4 cycles or so that you can get the hang of charting. It can be a bit confusing at first. BBT just verifies that you've ovulated but not when you're fertile, and you may not even have very clear temp shifts, so unless you're planning on condoms until ovulation is confirmed each month, you really should chart CM and cervical position as well. That's what tells you when you're fertile and it makes it much more effective as birth control.

Some of the girls on the TTC thread are incredibly knowledgable about charting and would probably be happy to help even if you're not trying for a baby. Fertility Friend and Ovusoft (Taking Charge of Your Fertility's website) also have forums just about charting.

Ditto to everything Blenheim said. I have been charting to avoid the past six months, and so far it has been great. I am SO happy to be off BCP. We are still using condoms most of the time, except for a few days at the beginning and end of the cycle that I am positive I'm not fertile. As long as you understand the process and are willing to put in the effort, I think you will be fine.

ETA: DD, even knowing what you know about charting, you still wouldn't trust charting coupled with condoms and/or avoiding DTD in the fertile window?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I''m doing it...since the wedding in Sept.

So far so good. However we use BC during the week in there when CM and temp show ovulation.

You have to get the TCOYF book by Toni Weschler. It gives all the rules and specifics. It is a huge commitment though and if you are not ready for kids (ya know accidents happen) then I would not recommend it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mia, have you tried something like Nuva Ring? Still hormonal but it''s more "directed" where it needs to go, so at least for me I found that I had MANY fewer side effects with it than with the pill.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:47:58 AM
Author: PrettyBlues

ETA: DD, even knowing what you know about charting, you still wouldn''t trust charting coupled with condoms and/or avoiding DTD in the fertile window?
Well, I definitely wouldn''t trust it when breast-feeding, which I plan to do for about 1-2 years after this baby is born, so I would need another method then... I really really don''t want kids closer than about 2.5-3 years, for my career, so I think I would only trust the hormonal methods. We''ll see! I got preggo pretty fast so I wouldn''t want to test fate
11.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Well...

My period came like clockwork...every 21 days since I was about 11.

We decided to do the whole chart thing and get brave after having spent 6.5 years together and never having sex w/out protection (condoms...I never went on bc). So we did the chart and figured out our days when we can "go at it" w/out the extra protection.

My baby is due 07/13/2009.

So there you go.

LOL

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 1:17:26 PM
Author: fieryred33143
Well...

We decided to do the whole chart thing and get brave after having spent 6.5 years together and never having sex w/out protection (condoms...I never went on bc). So we did the chart and figured out our days when we can ''go at it'' w/out the extra protection.

So there you go.

LOL
Fiery -- How long were you charting before you guys decided to go w/out a backup method?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:32:33 PM
Author: InLuv101

Well...

We decided to do the whole chart thing and get brave after having spent 6.5 years together and never having sex w/out protection (condoms...I never went on bc). So we did the chart and figured out our days when we can ''go at it'' w/out the extra protection.

So there you go.

LOL
Fiery -- How long were you charting before you guys decided to go w/out a backup method?
I also wonder if you were doing FAM or whether you were just counting days each month. Were you monitoring your CF and cervix and temping? Just curious...

PS: Mia 75% effectiveness is about the same as condoms, including human errors etc.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Not long at all. We were just counting days and I looked at a few charts online. I did some research beforehand but was too afraid to take the plunge. I had no idea I was pregnant until I realized that my clockwork period didn''t show up.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:41:01 PM
Not long at all. We were just counting days and I looked at a few charts online. I did some research beforehand but was too afraid to take the plunge. I had no idea I was pregnant until I realized that my clockwork period didn''t show up.
Unfortunately, that method has about the same success at preventing pregnancy as doing nothing at all!
40.gif
It is very different that the fertility awareness method, but I think most people don''t know that. Hence, many happy "accidents"
9.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 9:50:48 AM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I''m doing it...since the wedding in Sept.

So far so good. However we use BC during the week in there when CM and temp show ovulation.

You have to get the TCOYF book by Toni Weschler. It gives all the rules and specifics. It is a huge commitment though and if you are not ready for kids (ya know accidents happen) then I would not recommend it.
Thanks IWPO, just ordered TCOYF, can''t wait to read it!

And we both want children so no problem if an "oops" happens. I am just wondering about whether it is worth all of the trouble. If it increases chances of not getting pregnant a little bit then it might be nice to be off hormones and getting to know my cycles so I will be ready when we are ready to try for a pregnancy.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 11:27:09 AM
Author: neatfreak
Mia, have you tried something like Nuva Ring? Still hormonal but it''s more ''directed'' where it needs to go, so at least for me I found that I had MANY fewer side effects with it than with the pill.
Yep I am on Nuvaring now. I have been on it since college. I honestly loved it, super easy to use and hassle free. I am having an odd side effect though, and sorry for getting graphic, but large chunks of tissue (def. not clots) are coming out of me during my periods. They are accompanied by the most horrific cramps that go away once they are passed and it honestly feels like I give birth to them. Docs haven''t been concerned with them, but I am wondering if this would happen if I was off BC altogether. I''d just like to try it. I was one of the few people that never had any PMS cramps before BC but have had them since (normally just light ones except when I pass tissue). I don''t know though, since it has been such a long time on BC, it''s possible that my body has changed.

Now I have had some acne problems in the past so if that comes back, I may have to go back on or find another acne medication. We''ll see. It can''t hurt to try and I can always go back.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:50:57 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 12/11/2008 3:41:01 PM
Unfortunately, that method has about the same success at preventing pregnancy as doing nothing at all!
40.gif
It is very different that the fertility awareness method, but I think most people don''t know that. Hence, many happy ''accidents''
9.gif
He he! that is what my DH wanted to do. I told him I didn''t like my BC and he was like "fine, we''ll just do the rhythm method!" I was like
33.gif
I don''t even know where he heard of that besides High School Health Class!

Hmmm.... But if the effectiveness is = to condoms, then do we even need to bother or should we stick with condoms? Does doubling up increase effectiveness? I think so but probably not much huh? Okay I am rambling now...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 4:48:42 PM
Author: mia1181
Date: 12/11/2008 11:27:09 AM

Author: neatfreak

Mia, have you tried something like Nuva Ring? Still hormonal but it''s more ''directed'' where it needs to go, so at least for me I found that I had MANY fewer side effects with it than with the pill.

Yep I am on Nuvaring now. I have been on it since college. I honestly loved it, super easy to use and hassle free. I am having an odd side effect though, and sorry for getting graphic, but large chunks of tissue (def. not clots) are coming out of me during my periods. They are accompanied by the most horrific cramps that go away once they are passed and it honestly feels like I give birth to them. Docs haven''t been concerned with them, but I am wondering if this would happen if I was off BC altogether. I''d just like to try it. I was one of the few people that never had any PMS cramps before BC but have had them since (normally just light ones except when I pass tissue). I don''t know though, since it has been such a long time on BC, it''s possible that my body has changed.

Now I have had some acne problems in the past so if that comes back, I may have to go back on or find another acne medication. We''ll see. It can''t hurt to try and I can always go back.

That is really odd...I''d be surprised if it was the nuvaring, but I am certainly not a doctor. Hope you can find something that works for you!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 3:38:56 PM

Date: 12/11/2008 3:32:33 PM
Author: InLuv101

Well...

So there you go.

LOL
I also wonder if you were doing FAM or whether you were just counting days each month. Were you monitoring your CF and cervix and temping? Just curious...

PS: Mia 75% effectiveness is about the same as condoms, including human errors etc.
Sounds like the rhythm method more than FAM

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, Neat I am not at all saying it is the nuvaring's fault and the 2 doctors I have seen seem to say that it is completely normal. But since I don't know anyone else who passes a 2.5"x 1" sack of flesh in the shape of a deflated balloon, I just think it is odd enough to wonder if it would happen without BC. It still might, but I'd like to see.

ETA- although the docs haven't explained it to me I do just think it is the uterine lining that normally shed with your period but I think most women's break into tiny pieces. I "give birth" to mine whole, I think......

And I have found a few other women on Yahoo Anwers asking about it who have mention Nuvaring, but I don't think it's the BC's fault either. It's just a common thing I think.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and IT''S MY THREAD SO I''LL JACK IF I WANT TO..... But, NF what type of hormonal BC can you be on when breast feeding? Just being nosey.....

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 5:15:42 PM
Oh and IT''S MY THREAD SO I''LL JACK IF I WANT TO..... But, NF what type of hormonal BC can you be on when breast feeding? Just being nosey.....
I''m not NF, but two of my friends recently went through this so I will tell you that they used a low-dose pill, maybe progesterone only or something like that, and neither noticed any changes in their milk supply. Neither started using it until BFing was really well-established though and so their supplies were good and strong. I can imagine if you start really early then it *could* interfere when your supply is still growing, but who knows.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 4:54:44 PM

Hmmm.... But if the effectiveness is = to condoms, then do we even need to bother or should we stick with condoms? Does doubling up increase effectiveness? I think so but probably not much huh? Okay I am rambling now...
Well, it is much better than condoms when used by a real expert, but like condoms, sometimes people aren''t experts
3.gif
And I definitely think doubling up would help... were I to use it I would abstain from sex completely during my highest fertile phase as identified by FAM (only about 4-5 days) then I would use condoms for the few days before that and after, and I would use nothing in the very start and end! I think the effectiveness in that case would be pretty darn good.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2008 5:45:01 PM

Date: 12/11/2008 5:15:42 PM
I''m not NF, but two of my friends recently went through this so I will tell you that they used a low-dose pill, maybe progesterone only or something like that, and neither noticed any changes in their milk supply. Neither started using it until BFing was really well-established though and so their supplies were good and strong. I can imagine if you start really early then it *could* interfere when your supply is still growing, but who knows.
Oh interesting, I thought you couldn''t be on BC when breast feeding. Shows how much I know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results