shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling PS bakers - cake help please?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I need to make a birthday cake tomorrow for a family member. He's 40, so it needs to be grown up.
I'm going to do three layers - chocolate, raspberry and vanilla. I figured I could put a paper cake frill round the side and just frost the top, rather than my usual rolled fondant icing. I'm not very good at frosting sides of a cake with anything other than fondant and it feels too heavy for the recipe, if that makes sense. I'm going to put 40 candles on top in a spiral pattern so the frosting won't really be seen much, just needs to taste good.

So, what flavour would you suggest I use with these layers and should I use the same in between the layers?

My plan was to do a chocolate frosting, but that might overpower the vanilla layer on top a little - would a cream cheese or buttercream be better? I don't want to add a fourth flavour so it probably needs to be chocolate or vanilla. Does the combination of flavours in the layers sound good or a bit much?

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Jen

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I think you're right that chocolate would overpower the vanilla layer, it might be too much altogether. I would do buttercream on top, and either buttercream or raspberry in between. Sounds yummy!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would do a raspberry buttercream. i don't like plain buttercream and vanilla buttercream has to be REALLY vanilla for it to taste good to me. i would mix just a little raspberry in with your frosting and frost it with that.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
My post was eaten :confused:
I would use buttercream flavored with Chambord and Raspberry paste or extract :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results