shape
carat
color
clarity

Call me a doctor, cause I'm angry.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
As an FYI, anyone can call themselves a "counsellor" or a "therapist", even without any qualifications at all. And there are as many different styles of therapist as their are people out there. So choose wisely. You doctor may or may not actually know someone suitable, depending on his/her experience.

I suggest looking first for someone with a PhD in clinical psychology (only degree allowed to use the term "Psychologist" and only people legally allowed to diagnose, which might be required for insurance, though some medical doctors will diagnose too, though I do not think they should, personally, as they are not trained in psychological diagnosis in the same way that psychologists are). You may also consider someone with a PsyD degree, though I am not sure if they can engage in formal diagnosis (though I think they can, we do not have that degree in Canada). If diagnosis is not required for you insurance or you are not interested in a formal diagnosis (e.g. differentiating depression from anxiety, for example, if one of the tricky parts of diagnosis), then a therapist with an Masters in Councilling or, in some cases, a Master's in Social Work would also be degrees/qualifications that I would recommend, along with suitable referrals and licensing from the appropriate boards for their respective societies.

If you end up pursuing therapy longer term, you may also want to seek out someone trainted in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, a method that is empirically validated and proven to be very effective. There are other therapeutic approaches, some that have been shown to be very effective for some types of issues but not others (e.g., emotion focused therapy seems to work well for some depression; this is why diagnosis is important!), but most talk therapy has not been shown to be effective from an empirical standpoint -- concrete improvements in people's wellbeing from pre- to post-therapy. That said, most people who seek out therapy report that it is very helpful, so depending on how you look at it, there is something to perhaps gain from any type of therapy, at least from a subjective standpoint.

If you are wondering how I know this and whether I am just making it all up or something, I completed a Master's in Clinical Psychology before switching my area :))

And good luck. I know this is a scary thing -- it is really hard for anyone to admit to themselves that something is not right and they need to change. But it is a real sign of strength to seek help. You and your family will benefit if you can muster the courage and take the risk of seeking guidance!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea PPD could occur over 6 months after the birth. Hm.

MP - I hope you find your answers soon. Having your bloodwork done is a great idea, and I'm sure some counselling would help with the emotional issues. Thinking of you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1305763362|2925280 said:
LPCs can diagnose and file insurance ;))

You can find LPCs in your state at http://www.counseling.org/

Interesting. The rules are very different in Canada. Here councellors are not formally regulated by the Health Act and cannot formally/legally diagnose, though of course many will do so on an informal basis. Councellors with MAs (social work, councelling) do a lot of the hands on therapy in clinical settings here, but formal diagnosis using DSM criteria is restricted to Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Public insurance only covers Psychiatrists, private insurance and extended insurance covers Psychologists, but neither covers councellors to my knowledge, unless seen in a hospital/clinical setting. Just in case there are interested Canadians reading this: http://www.psychologists.bc.ca/drup...n-psychologists-psychiatrists-and-counsellors

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
anchor, it is actually up to 24 months.

DD, I have no knowledge of what it is like to be a counselor in any other country but my own. Just wanted to make sure she had the correct information since she lives in the US. After I am licensed I can go into private practice if I wanted. I can do anything except obviously prescribe medication. I will have to take two national exams to get my LPCA, have 15 months min. of supervision to get my LPC, and take 60 CE credits every two years to keep my license. So a LPC is more than qualified to provide therapy. From what I have learned is the different areas have different training and different ideas on how to help people. Someone with a MSW will practice differently than a LPC for example. People seeking help need to figure out what theory they respond to. Personally I respond better to LPCs.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This is all interesting...and things I didn't know, because I had no reason to ask. Thanks for all the info, ladies.

DH was given a prescription for something without benzoates in it (that's the addictive part, right?) by our PC doctor that is also for people with restless leg syndrome (which I have had all my life). I tried one because I had it BAD tonight, and suddenly, I feel better. Not exactly bursting with happiness or anything, but I feel relaxed. Calm. And it doesn't feel like the world is about to end in two seconds, which is sort of how I've been living for the past few months. The anxiety is there but very mild, and easily ignored. While I still want to try non-medicated options, I'm glad to know something works at least a little bit. It gives me hope I will be better soon ::)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1305842900|2926012 said:
anchor, it is actually up to 24 months.

DD, I have no knowledge of what it is like to be a counselor in any other country but my own. Just wanted to make sure she had the correct information since she lives in the US. After I am licensed I can go into private practice if I wanted. I can do anything except obviously prescribe medication. I will have to take two national exams to get my LPCA, have 15 months min. of supervision to get my LPC, and take 60 CE credits every two years to keep my license. So a LPC is more than qualified to provide therapy. From what I have learned is the different areas have different training and different ideas on how to help people. Someone with a MSW will practice differently than a LPC for example. People seeking help need to figure out what theory they respond to. Personally I respond better to LPCs.

I think Canada is moving that that direction too. It is probably a good idea to include a category like LPC to open up access to therapy to more people by increasing the number of qualified practitioners.

I totally agree that different practitioners have very different styles. It is too bad that clients cannot easily learn about the different styles without perhaps spending a lot of time and money "shopping around". The other challenge of course is that the person you *like* the most as a therapist might not be the person who can help you the most in the long term.

MP Girl, don't take medication that was not prescribed for you, especially if you don't know what it is called or how it works on your body or why it works on your body 8) I'm glad you feel it helped, but please don't take it again, eh? Not without talking to your own doctor. Pretty please.

kennedy

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer_D|1305825002|2925762 said:
Tacori E-ring|1305763362|2925280 said:
LPCs can diagnose and file insurance ;))

You can find LPCs in your state at http://www.counseling.org/

Interesting. The rules are very different in Canada. Here councellors are not formally regulated by the Health Act and cannot formally/legally diagnose, though of course many will do so on an informal basis. Councellors with MAs (social work, councelling) do a lot of the hands on therapy in clinical settings here, but formal diagnosis using DSM criteria is restricted to Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Public insurance only covers Psychiatrists, private insurance and extended insurance covers Psychologists, but neither covers councellors to my knowledge, unless seen in a hospital/clinical setting. Just in case there are interested Canadians reading this: http://www.psychologists.bc.ca/drup...n-psychologists-psychiatrists-and-counsellors

Sorry for the threadjack, but I just wanted to clarify something here: I'm an American psychotherapist living and practicing in Canada, so I am familiar with both systems. It is not true that private insurance doesn't cover Masters level clinicians -- in fact, many plans do as long as the therapist is either an RCC (Registered Clinical Counselor), RSW (Registered Social Worker), or RCSW (Registered Clinical Social Worker). I've only been here a few years, so I don't know if this is somewhat new, but I have worked in both a private practice setting as well as a clinic setting and most clients have had no problems getting services covered through their extended insurance plan. Unfortunately, there's typically a limit to the number of sessions allowed, but at least there's some coverage provided for those who don't qualify for free psychiatric care (which is very different than the type of therapy provided by most psychotherapists).

Good luck to you, MP. I hope you get the help you need to get through this difficult period!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Monkey - I don't have a good answer, but I wanted to say thank you for posting the symptoms. I've been back and forth to my doctor repeatedly for the past 4-5 months for exhaustion, joint pain and achiness, my fingers twitching, eyes twitching, sinus infections, and so many other of these symptoms. She wanted a blood plate and now I plan to go get it first thing Monday because I'm experiencing about 80% of those symptoms! I'm restless, my skin has been insanely dry, I've been shedding hair like mad, I've had crazy mood swings, I get emotional about the silliest things or ANGRY!, I have had an issue with being more forgetful, not being able to remember facts, I am easily distracted and don't take extreme interest in thing. I'm always the person who is cold. It is summer in FL and I'm drinking hot tea and wearing jeans and closed toed shoes. I'm always cold. Last night I was under a comforter, with SO wrapped around me and I was freezing! My cycles have been getting longer, heavier and I had two last month. It would also FULLY explain why my abdomen region WILL NOT tone (I can do 100 sit ups, plank, side plank, rowing, jogging all day every day and I have pudge).... I've been snoring more, gosh... IT ALL MAKES SENSE! I don't think it is depression for me unless it is a physical depression for over exertion, I'm overall a happy person with a lot of ambition....

You go check yours and I'll go check mine.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1305857468|2926211 said:
This is all interesting...and things I didn't know, because I had no reason to ask. Thanks for all the info, ladies.

DH was given a prescription for something without benzoates in it (that's the addictive part, right?) by our PC doctor that is also for people with restless leg syndrome (which I have had all my life). I tried one because I had it BAD tonight, and suddenly, I feel better. Not exactly bursting with happiness or anything, but I feel relaxed. Calm. And it doesn't feel like the world is about to end in two seconds, which is sort of how I've been living for the past few months. The anxiety is there but very mild, and easily ignored. While I still want to try non-medicated options, I'm glad to know something works at least a little bit. It gives me hope I will be better soon ::)

MP - Glad you were given something that makes you feel better. Just do a bit of research. I just went to my dr b/c I want to quit the meds I'm on and he was concerned so rather than helping me, he's having me taper off one and gave me a box of samples of another because he insists I need something else to replace that med. When I got home and googled the med, it sounds TERRIBLE and I refuse to take it. Now, I'm screwed and am going to have to taper myself off or something. Bleh.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I don't intend on taking DH's meds, ladies, it's ok. I just tried one because I was so miserable with the RLS, so I researched it online first and then took only one even though you're supposed to take two. And I know the name, I just can't recall it...I'll write it down tonight, I want to ask my doctor about it Thursday.

DF, that SUCKS. Your doctor never once checked your thyroid? Ugh, I hate how much time and money we can waste when the doctor has no idea what's going on. I know they aren't infallible, but still. Let me know when you get it checked, and how it comes back.

MC, I'm not on any meds yet - my appointment is Thursday. I'm hoping for something to happen that day, though I fully expect her to not prescribe anything and make me wait even longer for a psych eval or something. I don't want to wait and suffer like this too long. Fingers crossed I don't. And YUCK about your meds. If you taper off the one you're on now, will the withdrawl be less? Why are you wanting to be off the meds now? Do you feel like they stopped helping?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Monkey - She didn't even think of thyroid until this past visit b/c outwardly I appear to be a healthy 25 year old who works out and eats well. My courses were generally regular until the past few months (though always long and heavy), and I've always related tiredness back to iron.... but now this seems to make a lot of sense! I went in this past time b/c of muscle spasms and my eyes twitching. I had been in before to see if I had restless joint syndrome b/c my joints HURT all the TIME!

We shall know next week I suppose.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, hope you get some answers soon. I also hope you don't close the door to talk therapy when if there is a medical reason behind your symptoms. I am not very experienced and have limited knowledge of your life but some of the things we discussed need to be worked out with a trained professional. You can treat the symptoms or the problem. There is something deeper here. Maybe once you are physically feeling stronger you will have the time and courage to work on other parts of your life. I am sincere when I wish you peace and freedom from your fears and anxiety.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1305924324|2926840 said:
MC, I'm not on any meds yet - my appointment is Thursday. I'm hoping for something to happen that day, though I fully expect her to not prescribe anything and make me wait even longer for a psych eval or something. I don't want to wait and suffer like this too long. Fingers crossed I don't. And YUCK about your meds. If you taper off the one you're on now, will the withdrawl be less? Why are you wanting to be off the meds now? Do you feel like they stopped helping?

Yeah, what happened is the patent on one of the meds expired so it became available in generic version in the US so my previous insurance wouldn't cover the brand name and the generic hasn't worked as well. I have new insurance (which I can get to cover the brand name) but am just sick of being on meds. It'll take 6-12 months to quit this med b/c of the withdrawals! It can cause suicide and seizures. Nice, huh?

I quit one of the others cold turkey and was fine and now am tapering the third and all is going okay. Once that's done, I'll be tackling the big 6-12 month one mentioned above.

All that said, I do think many people need meds and I'm NOT anti-med...I just think at some point a person has to decide what is right for them...it's just important to read up and know the risk factors! I *do* think it's a bad sign if a dr. has samples on hand b/c that means a pharm rep has been in pimping out their meds. Something to keep in mind.

Please keep me posted on what happens with your evaluation and what med is recommended!

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
MonkeyPie... I'm sorry to hear/read about how you are feeling... I have lurked for many many years and post here and there but definitely recognize your posts. If I could put my 2 cents in as well...
Definitely have your thyroid checked, but I think you are already working on this... Also a word about PPD from experience... I had a difficult time after my 1st was born (my son) in the sense that nothing felt right anymore, nothing tasted good etc. I was and still am blissfully happy when I see him, in fact I can't wait until he wakes most days because he is so cute and funny coming out of sleep. It gradually went away, especially when I viewed the PPD as it's own personified being. Meaning that much of what I would say to myself when I was feeling horrible/angry/stressed was "I know this is PPD and I'm not going to let it ruin my day/night etc, so F-off". I had to put it outside of myself rather than let it be a part of myself. I also completely agree that PPD is a reaction to hormone levels in your system, some may be more vulnerable to the shifts in hormones than others and some just react in different ways. For example, one may be depressed in the text-like view of it and others may be irritable, angry, and short fused while still feeling happiness. Hormones are quite powerful.
With my daughter things were very different. I was borderline hospitalizable (I know not a word) because I was feeling worthless, sad, angry, mad, irritable, and at times I felt that my family might be better off without me. This is where my skills as a Psy.D. and having several friends and colleagues who are also Psy.Ds and Ph.Ds came in handy. Again I was able to view it as a separate entity and that I was experiencing it rather than having it become me. Strangely it was almost like morning sickness where I woke up one morning and it was gone.
There are several ways that PPD and anxiety can manifest in your life and experience and there are many factors that exacerbate it in different ways. Definitely seek out a therapist, even though you have had negative experiences with it. You may find someone completely different and you may clique well. It is my thought and belief that everyone should have a therapist to process life with. We all have dentists and eye doctors, and some professional to take care of parts of us, why in the world would we not have someone to help take care of the mind which controls everything else?? My patients tend to like this rational.

And just to clarify for the 'psychologists' term... As I am preparing to be licensed and still unlicensed I can call myself a "professional psychologist" or just say that I am a Dr. of Psychology. It is not until I am licensed that I am able to term myself a "clinical psychologist". And as far as PsyD or PhD, we differ in that the PhD is more researched based/trained and the PsyD is more clinically/practitioner based. Both are able to diagnose and treat etc. and I have very close friends and colleagues of both degrees.

I hope you feel better soon!
~M

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
maiyavel|1305951339|2927068 said:
MonkeyPie... I'm sorry to hear/read about how you are feeling... I have lurked for many many years and post here and there but definitely recognize your posts. If I could put my 2 cents in as well...
Definitely have your thyroid checked, but I think you are already working on this... Also a word about PPD from experience... I had a difficult time after my 1st was born (my son) in the sense that nothing felt right anymore, nothing tasted good etc. I was and still am blissfully happy when I see him, in fact I can't wait until he wakes most days because he is so cute and funny coming out of sleep. It gradually went away, especially when I viewed the PPD as it's own personified being. Meaning that much of what I would say to myself when I was feeling horrible/angry/stressed was "I know this is PPD and I'm not going to let it ruin my day/night etc, so F-off". I had to put it outside of myself rather than let it be a part of myself. I also completely agree that PPD is a reaction to hormone levels in your system, some may be more vulnerable to the shifts in hormones than others and some just react in different ways. For example, one may be depressed in the text-like view of it and others may be irritable, angry, and short fused while still feeling happiness. Hormones are quite powerful.
With my daughter things were very different. I was borderline hospitalizable (I know not a word) because I was feeling worthless, sad, angry, mad, irritable, and at times I felt that my family might be better off without me. This is where my skills as a Psy.D. and having several friends and colleagues who are also Psy.Ds and Ph.Ds came in handy. Again I was able to view it as a separate entity and that I was experiencing it rather than having it become me. Strangely it was almost like morning sickness where I woke up one morning and it was gone.
There are several ways that PPD and anxiety can manifest in your life and experience and there are many factors that exacerbate it in different ways. Definitely seek out a therapist, even though you have had negative experiences with it. You may find someone completely different and you may clique well. It is my thought and belief that everyone should have a therapist to process life with. We all have dentists and eye doctors, and some professional to take care of parts of us, why in the world would we not have someone to help take care of the mind which controls everything else?? My patients tend to like this rational.

And just to clarify for the 'psychologists' term... As I am preparing to be licensed and still unlicensed I can call myself a "professional psychologist" or just say that I am a Dr. of Psychology. It is not until I am licensed that I am able to term myself a "clinical psychologist". And as far as PsyD or PhD, we differ in that the PhD is more researched based/trained and the PsyD is more clinically/practitioner based. Both are able to diagnose and treat etc. and I have very close friends and colleagues of both degrees.

I hope you feel better soon!
~M

Thanks maiyavel, that post helped a lot. My mind can look at the problem rationally, which is why I didn't wait for ages hoping it would just go away - I could tell from the start that something Was Very Wrong, and I would need help with it. I couldn't put my finger on what exactly it was, though, and I didn't want to go to my doctor and just tell her, "I'm pissed off all the time, fix it." LOL.

My poor husband...I feel so bad for him all the time. He really takes the brunt of my irritation. I got up and took my son to his photo shoot this morning, and I was totally happy until I started home and DH asked me to leave the baby with my mom so he could go to a car show with the helpful note that I could "take a nap" and then go get him afterward. I was infuriated, but left the baby with my mom so I could yell at him. I got home, flailed around a bit, and passed the heck out. And I was mad at myself so I have been passive-aggressively griping at him all night.

I'm so tired of being pissy all the time. It doesn't help that my husband actually DOES do things that are stupid (don't they all?), but I should be able to control myself better than this.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It takes courage to ask for help. Change happens when the pain of changing is *less* than the pain of staying the same. If you are truly sick and tired of feeling this way you need to reach out for professional help. Friends are a great support system but a professional can give you an objective view and some techniques to help you. You can go to a therapist and tell him/her that you are pissed off all the time. A therapist will understand and help you explore those feelings.

I know you love your husband. Remember that we ALWAYS act our worse among those we love. I think b/c there is security there. Be gentle with yourself and be honest with him. Do you ever journal?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I just want to say that I have the exact same symptoms as you, and for me, they are all caused by my severe anxiety. I recently saw a therapist a few times (I didn't particularly like her, so I haven't gone back), and she said that it's very common to become extremely irritable when you are very anxious (and possibly also depressed).

Honestly, I've been like this for as long as I can remember. I remember having the same feelings and extreme frustration, and throwing 'temper tantrums' as a child. When I became a teenager, it seemed like teenage angst. Then, I got on a SSRI antidepressant (for OCD and panic attacks), and the anger/irritability went away - but I didn't even notice that they were gone until they came back after I got off the meds. I was on them for about eight years, and I've been off them for a bit over a year now. My symptoms have slowly crept back, and I find myself completely anxious a lot of the time. My OCD concerns are also back, and the only things that haven't really come back are the panic attacks (knock wood).

I probably need to get back on another SSRI, but the last one was causing me to be extremely tired and I was even falling asleep when sitting down sometimes, which I couldn't handle once I secured my first full-time job. I also hated the sexual side effects, which are actually not as common with that SSRI, but are more common with others. That's really the only reason that I haven't taken the Lexapro samples that my doctor has given to me.

I've also noticed that my parents are the same way that I am - they are both extremely irritable people, and they do become upset easily, even if it's just something small that goes wrong. I honestly think that they could both benefit from therapy and/or SSRIs, but they don't believe in those types of meds. It was difficult when I was on them, since they thought that the meds were bad for me, and they wished that I would get off them. They really just don't like the idea of playing around with one's brain chemicals.

Anyway, I know that your anger can be caused by a number of different things, and it's definitely best to have it checked out by a physician - but just know that no matter what, you're definitely not alone in feeling this way! *Big hugs*

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
shihtzulover|1306092134|2927860 said:
Then, I got on a SSRI antidepressant (for OCD and panic attacks), and the anger/irritability went away - but I didn't even notice that they were gone until they came back after I got off the meds. I was on them for about eight years, and I've been off them for a bit over a year now. *

Sorry to hijack here.... Shihtzulover - which SSRI were you on? Just curious as I'm looking at going off one I've been on for 8 years. Thanks.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1306085272|2927789 said:
I know you love your husband. Remember that we ALWAYS act our worse among those we love. I think b/c there is security there. Be gentle with yourself and be honest with him. Do you ever journal?

I have thought of this, specifically to see if I can count how many times in a day I lose my temper (I'd probably be ashamed to see the number, even though I know it's bad already), but I don't want anyone else seeing it. I talked to my husband about how crappy I feel, but even with him I feel embarrassed to admit the full extent of the situation. I am seriously counting the days until Thursday when I can go see my doctor. I plan to spend that day just being by myself and having some alone time after my appointment so I can gather my thoughts.

shihtzulover, I am similar - I remember the feelings of seemingly random anger and anxiety as a child, and fears that were rather unfounded. I outgrew most of them, but a few (particularly the fear of losing loved ones) have hung around. I am not opposed to meds in the slightest if my doctor feels they will help. I don't think I am at the point of needing SSRI's, though I do feel like I need something to balance myself out.

I have had two good days. Yesterday I spent the whole day with my husband and Micah, just hanging around the house, and I was happy the entire day. Today I have been content as well. I am also nearing the end of my period, and I have to wonder if my cycle has something to do with it. I was at my worst at the beginning of my menses. Curious.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
MP, you know I have absolutely no experience in this and therefore no help to offer, but I did just want to say I'm so sorry you're struggling with this, and that my thoughts are with you in hopes that you find a solution soon. Hugs.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well, I could be PPD.

But you sound exactly like I was on birth control pills.

Angry, irritable, and no sex drive. I was literally filled with rage, to the point where I was throwing dishes at my husband (then boyfriend). I was out of control. I stopped the birth control pills and have never felt that level of rage again. We've agreed that I will never be on birth control pills again, and that was almost 6 years ago. I believe that some women react very badly to brith control pills. It might be worth it to try another form of birth control and see if it improves things for you.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
allycat0303|1306195097|2928657 said:
Well, I could be PPD.

Angry, irritable, and no sex drive. I was literally filled with rage, to the point where I was throwing dishes at my husband (then boyfriend). I was out of control. I stopped the birth control pills and have never felt that level of rage again. We've agreed that I will never be on birth control pills again, and that was almost 6 years ago. I believe that some women react very badly to brith control pills. It might be worth it to try another form of birth control and see if it improves things for you.

Eek. That sounds awful :(sad Unfortunately, I was like this before I got on BC. It hasn't gotten better or worse since I got on it, though I do feel like it may be related to my cycle somehow.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1306205514|2928803 said:
Well, I could be PPD.

Eek. That sounds awful :(sad Unfortunately, I was like this before I got on BC. It hasn't gotten better or worse since I got on it, though I do feel like it may be related to my cycle somehow.
I know anecdotal advice isn't always great, but if you could very much so be onto something about your anger/anxiety/whatever the hell IT is going on and your cycle. I know my anxiety is completely tied to my cycle, and even on the Celexa I had some minor exacerbation around my cycle.
My sister was diagnosed as bipolar at age 13. Turns out in all actuality she has PMDD and the right combination of BCP and a low dose SSRI clicked for her and she's been fine. Her symptoms were so severe tho that docs gave her that bipolar diagnoses.

Im glad you started this thread. It helps me feel at least a little more normal to see that so many women experience anxiety or depression or anger or something tied to hormones, whether is can be diagnosed as PPD or simply something else that doesn't require a label like generalized anxiety disorder. Whatever it is, I hope your appointment is enlightening :)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
charbie|1306291289|2929627 said:
Well, I could be PPD.

I know anecdotal advice isn't always great, but if you could very much so be onto something about your anger/anxiety/whatever the hell IT is going on and your cycle. I know my anxiety is completely tied to my cycle, and even on the Celexa I had some minor exacerbation around my cycle.
My sister was diagnosed as bipolar at age 13. Turns out in all actuality she has PMDD and the right combination of BCP and a low dose SSRI clicked for her and she's been fine. Her symptoms were so severe tho that docs gave her that bipolar diagnoses.

Im glad you started this thread. It helps me feel at least a little more normal to see that so many women experience anxiety or depression or anger or something tied to hormones, whether is can be diagnosed as PPD or simply something else that doesn't require a label like generalized anxiety disorder. Whatever it is, I hope your appointment is enlightening :)

Charbie - how long were you on Celexa and how much were you taking?

charbie

Ideal_Rock
MC|1306345895|2930001 said:
Well, I could be PPD.

20 mg/daily for about a year and a half. I started on Buspar and HATED it. So another doc I went to switched me to Celexa. I did have a bit of trouble coming off of it (increased anxiety, heart palps, uneasiness) but I knew I did not want to be on meds while pregnant, so I trucked through and now am doing ok.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
MC|1306174441|2928374 said:
Then, I got on a SSRI antidepressant (for OCD and panic attacks), and the anger/irritability went away - but I didn't even notice that they were gone until they came back after I got off the meds. I was on them for about eight years, and I've been off them for a bit over a year now. *

Sorry to hijack here.... Shihtzulover - which SSRI were you on? Just curious as I'm looking at going off one I've been on for 8 years. Thanks.

I was on fluvoxamine (brand name Luvox). It's apparently not prescribed very often at all, and it's one of the oldest SSRIs, but it is supposed to great for OCD (although my doctor said that others work really well, too).

It took awhile for me to get off it, and I had to wean myself very slowly - I think it took a month or two total, although I can't remember exactly how long it was. It wasn't super difficult though, and I think my only withdrawal symptoms were the 'brain jolts'.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I had my appointment. Before she makes me a referral she wanted to check my thyroid, liver and something else (CBC? CMB?). I should get the results tomorrow. Right away she asked if I had ever had my thyroid checked, so she thinks it sounds like thyroid problems, too. Fingers crossed!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
charbie|1306367868|2930309 said:
MC|1306345895|2930001 said:
Well, I could be PPD.

20 mg/daily for about a year and a half. I started on Buspar and HATED it. So another doc I went to switched me to Celexa. I did have a bit of trouble coming off of it (increased anxiety, heart palps, uneasiness) but I knew I did not want to be on meds while pregnant, so I trucked through and now am doing ok.
Okay, thanks. My dr. prescribed it on Tuesday and I took 10 mg that night and couldn't even get out of bed the next morning. I felt terrible and googled it and read that it's known for a lot of sedation & weight gain so I tossed it in the garbage. lol!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
shihtzulover|1306377087|2930458 said:
MC|1306174441|2928374 said:

I was on fluvoxamine (brand name Luvox). It's apparently not prescribed very often at all, and it's one of the oldest SSRIs, but it is supposed to great for OCD (although my doctor said that others work really well, too).

It took awhile for me to get off it, and I had to wean myself very slowly - I think it took a month or two total, although I can't remember exactly how long it was. It wasn't super difficult though, and I think my only withdrawal symptoms were the 'brain jolts'.

Okay, thanks...the name sounds familiar...I've read about the brain jolts. My dr reduced the main anti-depressant I'm on by 50 mg (was on 250 mg) and I'm not having w/drawals, which further makes me think that the generic isn't doing anything. I've read about people going down by only 25 mg and throwing up, headaches, etc. Ugh. (I read that the generic manufacturer that makes the version I'm on is basically like a placebo so for all I know, I've been off of it for a year. Maybe that's why I was a bit crazy last May! lol)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results