shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Rib

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am hoping someone can tell me they have had a broken rib, or knows what the healing process will be like?? I got hurt on a sailboat that was far from a nice sunset sail... grrr. I got the x rays back, it''s a bad fracture, and my doc says 4 to 6 weeks?? To say I am in agony is an understatement. I am glad to be home in my bed, with my docs... I know there is nothing they can do for it, but wanted to know if anyone has been through this.

Not looking for sympathy, just advice for what helped you or your loved ones... I am in a lot of pain, and the medicine my doc gave me, is making me feel sick...

I am allergic to anything with codeine.. Meaning it gives me an instant migraine and makes me nauseous. So far, am taking Advil, but that is not doing the trick.
Any docs on here, please chime in...

TIA
Lisa

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I know you said you are not looking for sympathy, but I wanted to say I hope recovery is quick and a big hug to you.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh- so sorry you are in pain. my dad broke a rib a while ago, and basically the pain at the fracture site was worst about 6-7 days after the fall, then stopped being sharp pain and started slowly getting better. Doc said that was normal - something about the broken bone making sticky cells to reattach things and that sticking back together process hurts. But if you have injured other tissue besides the bone, you could have a fair bit of pain right away.

Don''t have any magic advice on the painkillers besides going back to the docs and asking for a different narcotic or anti-nausea medication. And ice, to reduce inflammation, as much as possible for a torso injury. Best healing vibes to you!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
It''ll be 2 to 3 months before you take any deep breaths without feeling pain, or lay down on the couch or bed without a reminder that it''s fractured. Sorry, but there it is. It''s a slow healing process. As far as the intensity of pain you''re in now, it''ll be lessened in about 2 weeks. I don''t remember whether the pain actually got better, or if I just got used to it. I just remember I kept saying "are you SURE they can''t do anything?" for the first two weeks. Unfortunately holding my breath for that long wasn''t an option
7.gif

There''s nothing like injuring a part of your body that you are forced to move every few seconds
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 1:17:33 AM
Author: purrfectpear
It''ll be 2 to 3 months before you take any deep breaths without feeling pain, or lay down on the couch or bed without a reminder that it''s fractured. Sorry, but there it is. It''s a slow healing process. As far as the intensity of pain you''re in now, it''ll be lessened in about 2 weeks. I don''t remember whether the pain actually got better, or if I just got used to it. I just remember I kept saying ''are you SURE they can''t do anything?'' for the first two weeks. Unfortunately holding my breath for that long wasn''t an option
7.gif

There''s nothing like injuring a part of your body that you are forced to move every few seconds
39.gif
Thanks. I was looking for truth.. Now I know what I am in for....
39.gif
15.gif
8.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 12:16:10 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Kaleigh, I know you said you are not looking for sympathy, but I wanted to say I hope recovery is quick and a big hug to you.
If it''s a gentle hug, I will talke it... LOL!!! Ain''t no one getting close to me right now... The doggies are so upset. I can''t pick them up. and they are trying to get up on the bed... We joke white dogs can''t jump...
3.gif

Cara, thanks for your input, it helps.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Tramadol might be a good option for you as it''s a synthetic opiate and so shouldn''t have the codeine problems. I take it for back pain and it''s very effective. The slow release version will help you not feel so icky on it at the beginning.

Analegsia is important as it stops you protecting it - proper breathing is important for recovery and you won''t breathe like you should without proper pain relief. Also make sure to keep the analgesia topped up rather than waiting till you are in pain again - it lessens the amount you have to take.

Poor you - they hurt like hell!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say that I hope you''re feeling better (sorry, no advice on the healing process or medications).

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
When I broke my ribs, I took OTC Doan''s backache medicine. It seemed like it took forever for them to heal. It took probably 6 weeks or so just to be able to take normal breaths. It was awful.

Take care of yourself. I didn''t wrap mine, but that might help.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Kaleigh that sounds so painful. I am so sorry to hear it...and it sounds like they can't do much, ugh. What has your Dr told you besides just taking advil? It's always crazy when an area of your body that you tend to take for granted as 'just working' gets hurt and then it is amazing how quickly you realize it's crucial to everyday regular life. Rest up and toss doggie treats to the poor pups...they are probably beside themselves!

PS...there is a stronger advil the docs can give, 800mg so you just have to take one instead of 4 of the small ones. I have taken it before for back pain. Can you take another type of stronger painkiller?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I''m going to skip the sympathy (but you have mine anyway
7.gif
), but recommend that you ask your doc for something much stronger than Advil and without codeine.

Years ago, my mom broke her rib and her doctor wrapped (bound?) her chest with adhesive tape from her waist up to under her breasts. She said that it helped a lot. The worst part was putting the tape on and taking it off.

I know that doctors nowadays don''t do that, but there must be another method of pain control other than Advil.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
just wanted to say I''m sorry and hope you feel better soon!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you are going through this. Sounds so painful. I hope you feel better soon.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Aw, Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear of this too. That is one of the more uncomfortable injuries a person can have, so my heart goes out to you.

For what it's worth, a friend of my mom's is doctor. From time to time, my mom gets seriously crippling headaches but doesn't want to take anything narcotic in nature. She said most of the doctors in her circles take one tylenol and one advil for pain relief. Funny the little tricks they know!

Hoping you recover soon!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, I''m so sorry to hear this Lisa!!
7.gif
Sorry, I''m giving you sympathy anyway.
25.gif
2.gif

And I''ll just pat you on the head, no hugs.
9.gif

I really do hope you mend quickly!
emrose.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 1:44:45 AM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 8/20/2009 12:16:10 AM
Author: TravelingGal
If it''s a gentle hug, I will talke it... LOL!!! Ain''t no one getting close to me right now... The doggies are so upset. I can''t pick them up. and they are trying to get up on the bed... We joke white dogs can''t jump...
3.gif

Cara, thanks for your input, it helps.
1.gif
Oops, I''ll send Ellen to give you a pat on the head for me too.
5.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I had some bruised ribs from a car accident. Breathing was painful... but it was ages ago, so I don't remember how long it took to get better.

My BIL cracked his sternum. It took months to recover, and it was painful for several weeks. Pain killers helped, but he still has issues w/ chest workouts... as it really weakened the muscles.

I'm sorry to read that you are in pain, and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry you''re hurting so badly.
7.gif
You could try staggering tylenol and advil so that you''re taking one or the other every 2-3 hrs, and stay on it round the clock. It''s easier to keep the pain level low than it is to get it back down once it''s gotten bad again...this is why scheduled doses are important. I hope you start to feel better soon!!!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DH cracked his ribs twice while skiing. The first time they taped the ribs. The second time (about 10 yrs later) the doctor said they don't tape the ribs anymore. He said it was more comfortable when they were taped. Otherwise it around 8 weeks to heal with some residual pain, meaning knowing when and how much to lift.

Take care of yourself and make sure everyone around you takes excellent care of you. I'd send you some fudge if I could find a good recipe.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Ouch!! I know this hurts. I tore some cartilage at the edge of my rib coughing a few years back. It felt like I was being upper cut by a knife every time I breathed, coughed, laughed, etc. The pain was horrific, so I can only imagine how much you hurt. It''s going to hurt for a bit and there''s not a darn thing you can do- I hope the pain lessens up some for you soon.
8.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry that this happened to you. It seems as if the healing process is a long one. Gentle, feather hugs to you...

lili

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh,
No advice here, but just want to offer you a hug and hope that you feel better soon!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies. This sucks, I won''t lie. But am taking it very easy... I have lots of help here.. I am just so glad I was smart and didn''t fly to Nantucket tonight. Hubby thought I could go and relax there... The plane had to land in Hyannis, he''s got to take a 2 hour Ferry boat ride to Nantucket. He won''t get to Nantucket till 11:00.... I said thank god, I stayed home. He offered to stay home with me, but no point in that. I want to suffer in private, I hate for anyone to hear me cry.. And with this, there has been some tears.. So he can go play golf and see the kids. I am mostly pissed because I miss my kids, and would have had a balst with them this weekend. I am still upset about the boat and the captain. Mostly want to make sure it doesn''t happen to anyone else. I had no clue it was a racing boat. Had I known that, with my neck, I never would have gotten on it...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts and prayers continue
emrose.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2009 12:13:04 AM
Author:Kaleigh
I am hoping someone can tell me they have had a broken rib, or knows what the healing process will be like?? I got hurt on a sailboat that was far from a nice sunset sail... grrr. I got the x rays back, it''s a bad fracture, and my doc says 4 to 6 weeks?? To say I am in agony is an understatement. I am glad to be home in my bed, with my docs... I know there is nothing they can do for it, but wanted to know if anyone has been through this.

Not looking for sympathy, just advice for what helped you or your loved ones... I am in a lot of pain, and the medicine my doc gave me, is making me feel sick...

I am allergic to anything with codeine.. Meaning it gives me an instant migraine and makes me nauseous. So far, am taking Advil, but that is not doing the trick.
Any docs on here, please chime in...

TIA
Lisa
Kaleigh, I''m so sorry you got hurt. I didn''t break a rib but I dislocated a rib four or five years ago when I was packing my mother''s apartment so she could move into a retirement community. The pain for me was incredibly bad for the first month. I had to have my rib reset five times in three months, each time was as painful as the first. (I broke out in an instant sweat and had tears rolling down my face each time) I wore a foot wide elastic rib brace that had steels on the sides for support. My doctor was trying to keep my rib in it''s correct place. Although it was uncomfortable to get used to, I did feel better once I adapted to the feeling. I can''t take narcotics either, I usually use NSAIDs for pain. Motrin worked until my body got used to it. Day-Pro was a better pain reliever for me.

I hope you''re feeling better soon. Ask about the rib brace. It really helped.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, Kaleigh ... no concrete advice here, but all my sympathy. I know my doctor prescribed prescription-strength ibuprofen to me for pain, and when I called for a refill, her office just said to take up to 800 mg of the normal kind for the same effect. So apparently that''s safe, and just not common knowledge (though do ask your doc if I/my doc''s office is right ....).

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, I have no advice, but have been following this thread and just wanted to say that I''m sorry you''re in such pain! When you mentioned the boat mishap in another thread I was thinking that you smashed your finger or cut yourself--I had no idea that it was this serious! When I read your rib was broken I couldn''t believe it! What agony you must have been in (and still are!). I''m glad you didn''t try to make the trip to Nantucket, that would have been incredibly painful, though it''s unforunate that you''re missing out on time with the hubby and kids
7.gif
I would say that I hope you have a quick recovery, but it seems that this will be a long healing process, so instead I just hope that you can find something that is entertaining (without making you laugh) which can take your mind off of the pain for awhile! I''d be renting a lot of television series on DVD that I''d never seen before!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
OUCH, OUCH and OUCH!! No advice except to say, take good care of yourself, and don''t try to do too much before you are truly healed!!
emrose.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
**tickle, tickle, tickle...**

Oh no I didn''t
11.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results