carat
color
clarity

borrowing carseats?

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
35.gif

Our little boy is due on 8/25, and our really good friends have offered to let us borrow their infant carseats (they have two seats and two bases).

The seats are Graco Snugride and were purchased in 2007 (the model is 7308DEL4 ... they were originally purchased as part of a Metrolite travel system. My friends are still using the stroller so we won''t be borrowing that).

The seats were used for two infants (the first child just turned 3 yrs old and the second is now 14 months -- she''s just outgrown the seat in the past month).

We know the seats have never been in any accidents. Seats look in good condition, save for a stain here and there which I don''t really care about as I''m sure our LO will probably contribute as well.

Are there any reasons why I shouldn''t take them up on this very generous offer?

Also, I was planning to get a Snap-and-Go (since I have read all of the wonderful reviews here by you super smart ladies
2.gif
). Can anyone confirm that a 2007 Snugride will fit in a Snap-and-Go purchased now?

Thank you in advance!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a problem with it if they aren''t expired and have never been in an accident. They should fit in the s''ng.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the carseat we use for my mom''s car is one that was given to us by friends. it wasn''t expired and was never in an accident so it was perfect for a 2nd seat. they also gave us their stroller which went with it so we had a total set for my mom. saved me having to buy one!

i say go for it. J''s carseat is pretty pristine since half the time i have like 10 bibs on him and blankets to catch anything that oozes out.
5.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies Tacori and Mara. I''ll definitely check the expiration dates, but I think they should be good as from my research Graco sets them for six years. My friends purchased in 2007 so even if they were manufactured in 2006 they should still be fine for my LO -- but I will check.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah the one they gave us was a Chicco and the exp was something like 2012 and they bought it in 2007 or 2008. J will be outgrowing his carseats prob within the next 6 months so we''re good!!

yay .. hand me downs are the BEST! so much baby stuff you can only use for a finite period of time then it just sits around...i am all about hand me downs that i can pass on to the next person (and we''ll be doing that with stuff we bought too!).

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 12:06:03 AM
Author: Mara
yay .. hand me downs are the BEST! so much baby stuff you can only use for a finite period of time then it just sits around...i am all about hand me downs that i can pass on to the next person (and we''ll be doing that with stuff we bought too!).

Yes, they are the BEST. We are so fortunate to have these friends ... they''ve basically loaned us a mini-BRU store already! Seriously ... a play mat, two different swings (one travel size), a jumperoo, a ton of maternity and nursing clothes, a bouncy vibrating papasan (which their kids didn''t like so it is pristine), bottles, baby clothes, and I know there is more that I just can''t think of right now. I think they''re happy to see these things get more use (and get them out of their house and free up storage). Even though most of their things have been used by two kids, they still look great since lots of things really do only get used a few months.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No issues with it as long as it isn''t expired.

If they actually mean "borrow" vs have, just keep in mind that god forbid you get into an accident (even a light fender bender), I think out of courtesy you should buy them a new carseat back. Of course, you''d be replacing that one anyway for your own kid, so you could probably give that one right back to them to resell or whatever.

Hand me downs are the best. Anyone who doesn''t accept them aren''t being the most practical, but hey, some people just want all new stuff for the LOs, and can afford to do so.

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 12:26:40 AM
Author: TravelingGal
No issues with it as long as it isn''t expired.

If they actually mean ''borrow'' vs have, just keep in mind that god forbid you get into an accident (even a light fender bender), I think out of courtesy you should buy them a new carseat back. Of course, you''d be replacing that one anyway for your own kid, so you could probably give that one right back to them to resell or whatever.

Hand me downs are the best. Anyone who doesn''t accept them aren''t being the most practical, but hey, some people just want all new stuff for the LOs, and can afford to do so.

TGal,

Yes, we would absolutely give our replacement to them if we did have an accident. We are borrowing their stuff as they''re not certain if they''ll try for #3 or not ... if they do have #3 these seats would probably be approaching their expiration for that child, depending upon manufacture date which I''ll have to check.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Go for it! Car seats aren''t cheap... We will be lending ours to my brother in November, lucky him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results