shape
carat
color
clarity

Birthday registry?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My LO just celebrated her first birthday and we had a pretty big party to celebrate. There were a lot of gifts and a lot of duplicate items. I went to TRU/BRU today to return some of them (of course without reciepts) and was told in no uncertain terms that returns were not possible unless accompanied by a reciept or if they were included on the childs birthday registry. WTH??? Birthday registry??? No returns??? At All???? They told me I should ask the giver for the original reciept!

I have never had a problem returning things before to BRU. Anyone else run into this? Does anyone else do a Birthday registry?

Thank god Target took a bunch back, considering they are usually a PITA with returns.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
TRU/BRU''s return policy depends entirely on the cashier. It''s one of the most inconsistent stores I''ve ever experienced. Sometimes I''ll get a cashier that is really helpful and sometimes not. For the most part though they won''t give a cash refund, just a store card.

As far as a birthday registry, and this is between you and me
2.gif
, I WISH people did them. I love, love, LOVE, when there''s a registry to shop from. I don''t think anyone does a birthday registry though. Some will do a TRU or amazon wish list which is really helpful.

This may be deceitful but do you think you can put one together and try to return that way? Sorry ppl didn''t include a gift receipt. That''s a pet peeve of mine.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a LO, but I just wanted to chime and say that I too wish people did registries for little one''s birthdays. It can really takes the pressure off wondering if someone else is going to give the same gift. It just takes all the excitement and pleasure of giving a child a gift you are sure they will love when you watch them unwrap the very same gift 5 minutes before, for me anyway. I always end up feeling a little embarrassed that I bought the same gift, even though I know it is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is one of those social awkward situations, not sure if anyone else feels that way, but I know I sure do and it has happened to me often. Just my two cents! lol
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would sign up for a registry online, register for the items you want to return and then go and return them. BRU's registry system is constantly messing things up-showing things purchased that weren't and vice versa.

ETA: I don't have an opinion one way or another on the birthday registry thing.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
You all are devious
11.gif
. I never thought about making a registry and then returning the items.

Since I started returning to Target, I will probably just finish returning there. I will have DH take a few things back and my mom can finish up the remainder. I want to return everything to one store to put my store credit toward a double stroller when DD #2 gets here this fall.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We used to get to keep a certain number of our birthday gifts, and then donated the rest. I like that.

I think it's silly that a store won't allow returns when the product is obviously new and unopened, though.

I wouldn't want to involve my child in setting up a birthday registry because I'm not sure I like the message it might send. I don't have kids, though, so I have no idea what a pain in the arse it is to deal with all these duplicate presents!

My favorite presents were always things I never knew I wanted.

ETA: Ponder, I don't know if you saw it, but I once posted this gorgeous hand lettered design of the word Ponder in a thread for you. I think it's a Sheila Waters design. I'll post it again in this thread once I'm back home. It's BEAUTIFUL.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Haven,

When the kids are small and not involved in the registry I can see it as a helpful tool. But you are right that it can send the wrong message to kids as they get older. This will be her last big birthday party, I feel that 1 is a mile stone and we envited friends and extended family. I wish we could have asked for no gifts, she really doesn''t need all the stuff I now have to find a place for.

I am actually trying to start damage control now for christmas to prevent a glut of stuff from the grandparents.
20.gif

I did not see your previous post. I am looking forward to seeing you repost it.
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still have very fond memories of all my birthday parties, and it sounds like your daughter will have the same!

I can''t seem to find a larger version of the Ponder piece, so this one doesn''t show all the detail. I believe Sheila Waters had a scientist friend named Ponder, and she created this piece for him. The details are really amazing. I''ll scan the catalog picture if I can find it.

Anyway, I always think of this piece when I see you posting here on PS!

PonderforPonder.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ponder, just be aware that Target also has a return policy for no receipt. You''re limited to a certain dollar value per year. Once you hit that amount they won''t allow you to make returns without a receipt.

You might be better off trying BRU on another day with the hopes that you get a more understanding SA.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
HH,

Yeah, I know that Target is a PITA when it comes to returns and I don''t normally shop there. I am going to spread the returns between myself, DH, and my mom.

Haven,

The Sheila Waters piece is truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results