shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to cover gray hair?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Suddenly out of nowhere, gray hair is popping up on my head! There seems to be a lot in my bangs.

My hair is a mousy brown color and I wonder should I do highlights to help blend them in, or highlights and lowlights to create more depth. . .or go an all-over color? I do not want to have to go to the salon more than once ever 6-8 weeks.

Also, do I ask the colorist to do a couple different shades of highlights so it doesn''t look so obvious?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Do you have virgin hair? As in, no color on it at all right now.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s half virgin. About 1 1/2 years ago, I colored it at home and it now has a slight grow out line half way through. I''m not much of a "hair person." I wash, dry, and flat iron and that''s all I feel it needs to look good (I''m more into makeup than hair), but now it needs more.

Last time I went to a colorist, it cost $120 to color and I just wasn''t satisfied with the results because they lasted so little. . .you know? I paid all that and then I have to repeat that every 6 weeks. I do pay a lot for a good cut, it''s just when I add in the coloring costs that my I start to panic about upkeep.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Because it''s hard/almost impossible for color to lift color...multi tonal blond would be difficult to do. But you could do high/lowlight which would be depositing and lifting...and once the bleach is off the hair, they could tone it to an acceptable blonde which would blend everything together nicely.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You can probably get away with highlights for a while. When it starts to pop up all over you might be able to do a semi perm color which isn''t too hard on hair.
I never had grays till I had my daughter. Mine are spread out all over which kind of sucks.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
try henna... I think there is a site ''henna for hair''

Lots of pictures and advice

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2009 11:23:50 PM
Author: innerkitten
You can probably get away with highlights for a while. When it starts to pop up all over you might be able to do a semi perm color which isn''t too hard on hair.
I never had grays till I had my daughter. Mine are spread out all over which kind of sucks.
Most of my gray is concentrated in the front and I use a semi/demi permanent hair color every 3 weeks and it blends the grays into gorgeous highlights! Plus my hair has the greatest shine and absolutely no damage. I use the Wella Color Charm (it''s either semi or demi permanent) that I buy at Sally''s. 1 tube for me is good for 2 colorings (my hair is around chin length).

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 10:23:47 AM
Author: soocool

Most of my gray is concentrated in the front and I use a semi/demi permanent hair color every 3 weeks and it blends the grays into gorgeous highlights! Plus my hair has the greatest shine and absolutely no damage. I use the Wella Color Charm (it''s either semi or demi permanent) that I buy at Sally''s. 1 tube for me is good for 2 colorings (my hair is around chin length).
I do semi permanent as well but my hairdresser does it. Exact match to my natural color so no growing out line. Plus it adds dmension and is not flat at all. My hair still looks super healthy and nobody ever would guess its colored.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

yep - or you could use professional products:

Wella Color Touch (demi permanent - use with Wella Color Touch developer)
or
Redken Shades EQ (demi permanent - use with Redken Shades EQ developer)

You can get the products at
Extended Lengths

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 5:20:27 PM
Author: asscherisme

I do semi permanent as well but my hairdresser does it. Exact match to my natural color so no growing out line. Plus it adds dmension and is not flat at all. My hair still looks super healthy and nobody ever would guess its colored.

You could go to a salon and ask for demi/semi permanent and make sure they tell you what products and colors they are using and then order them at extended lengths and do it yourself after the initial salon visit (that is what I do - I recently went from blonde to red). It works perfectly and I can touch it up every week if I want.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2009 11:19:50 PM
Author: LAJennifer

yep - or you could use professional products:

Wella Color Touch (demi permanent - use with Wella Color Touch developer)
or
Redken Shades EQ (demi permanent - use with Redken Shades EQ developer)

You can get the products at
Extended Lengths
I didn''t know that Wella Color Touch also had a demi-permanent. I use the Wella Color Charm ! Good to know, I will have to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results