shape
carat
color
clarity

Bedroom Decorating help, please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I normally have a pretty strong sense of design and am very decisive. However, with our bedroom I am having a lot of difficulty.

We both like clean lines with a traditional-transitional bent.

Colors. I like a lot of different colors. I don''t like purples though.

I am leaning toward a moss green and ivory color palate with burnt orange to accent. And black or dark brown to anchor.

I''ve found a bed I like. But its a solo piece. It''s a four poster pencil post bed in a black finish. It''s delicate for a four posted bed.

I don''t know what color nightstands I''d get with a black bed. But I need big ones with three drawers in them.

I don''t like things too matchy matchy so I don''t want black nightstands. I do have some very cool lamps I love already with black-browm base... so I don''t think I want anything too dark for the nightstands either.

I would also like a nice duvet cover that pulls in the colors I''m looking at in... but haven''t found anything simple enough yet. I don''t want the bedding to be too feminine or fussy.

Here''s a poster I found online that has the colors I''m thinking of.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing this feminine or floral would be in the room though. Stripes. Textures.

I am thinking of wood nightstands... like fruitwood colored. What do you guys think?

Concerto-Verde-II-Print-C10072857.jpeg

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a designer, but... I think nightstands might be a good way for you to introduce another color other than black into the room. Perhaps that could be where the moss green comes in? If you wanted curtains I also think that ivory curtains, or perhaps a shade just lighter than that background image you posted would look really neat. I would almost be tempted to paint some stripes on the wall, in varying shades of green. Not a lot of stripes mind you, just like some accent stripes near the ceiling or something. Then the walls could be a light ivory color. Hmm... I dunno. Clearly I'm not a designer and just thinking out loud! If you were going to do red in your bedroom at all though, I love the color of that top middle flower! I would get some curtains to match that, and paint the room a really warm color.

*M*

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, ivory or moss nightstands could be nice, or even painted ones, ones with a nice background color and some really pretty stenciling on them to add interest...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always heard that a rug can pull a room together, and is the focal point for color to begin. What about a large jute rug with a border in burnt orange, or green? I love the colors you''ve chosen...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi gypsy! i would go for a natural cherry for the nightstands. it is light enough and i feel it would be a good contrast with the black. i own one with one drawer with legs that would go very well with the pencil post bed.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a starving student, so my design ideas typically balance cost with functionality and design, but what about finding nightstands that fit your criteria and covering them with a small tablecloth. Maybe ivory to offset the black bed and the black-brown lamps, or the moss green for a less contrasting look.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the replies... some great ideas in here! I'm so glad I posted.

The reason this is so difficult is that DF has to live in the room too and he wants it to be gender balanced.

If it were just for me, I would be able to figure this out alot more readily. DF doesn't like painted wood, generally, and really dislikes cream and white painted furniture. The bed is already a compromise... and mostly because it comes in two options: Mahogony and Black... and I'm tired of Mahogany/Dark Cherry furniture (which he prefers) and want something younger and more contemporary.

I like the natural cherry suggestion a lot for the nightstands as well as the stencil idea on painted nightstands (although DF wouldn't likely go for that). I would totally do one round side table with a table cloth but I need the storage.

I was thinking of cream sheets and a green duvet with Orange and Red brought in on the shams and an orange blanket at the foot of the bed.

I have red Popppies (100 silk ones that are stunning)similar to the center one in the picture and those will go in the room as the one concession to floral.

And we have this stunning painting done by a Georgetown artist of the C&O canal in fall with the exact shades of green orange red I want... with some black in it for one wall.

The walls. Stripes are a great suggestion... I might do that half up one wall.

The floor has carpet so I'm not sure about a sisal or jute rug... plus it would be a magnet for the cats to claw on.

Texture... velvets for throw pillows... satin and nubby silk too. Maybe a nice bed skirt in a nubby silk strip that I can use for the shams. I don't mind sewing the shams myself.

Anyone seen a nice duvet set that would work for my room?

Other ideas welcome!!!

Thank you all foryour help so far.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey hey, check out apartmenttherapy.com. I got a lot of good leads and ideas there when I was decorating my condo.

Isn''t decorating fun? I only wish I had more rooms. And more money to spend of course.
31.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You mentioned that you like burndt orange, transitional furniture, darker pieces of furniture, etc...and I thought it sounded a lot like my bedroom!!!

Here''s a pic of part of my bedroom. My walls are burndt orange, my furniture is a cross between modern and traditional, and I have several throw pillows and some funky lamps on my night stands. This isn''t in the picture, but I have an iron headboard with a black vine pattern that looks really cool...but anyways, maybe this will bring some inspiring thoughts even if it''s not really what you are going for.

kcoursolle_bedroom.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the wall color! I was playing with the idea of an orange accent wall, actually. But I just found this stunning saturated green duvet at Target of all places that's perfect for the bed... and I think with orange on the wall it would be too much. I was looking everywhere Restoration Hardware was the closest I could find to what I wanted, but they didn't have any Kings left.

Our bed is HUGE. Eastern King with European Pillow top. It comes up to my hip... and I'm 5'7". That's with the low profile box spring!

I wanted a four poster bed or a just a headboard. I'm clumsy and I didn't want anything I would hit my shins on.

West Elm has two headboards I'm thinking of getting instead of the 4 poster bed... I'm really not sure which of the choices to get:

http://www.westelm.com/media/WE/pp0/p_p053_pip_WE07B003D_SU07_070227011122_PIP_hero.jpg

I like this mirror:

http://www.westelm.com/media/WE/pa0/p_a048_pip_WE07B083D_SU07_070215172434_PIP_hero.jpg

I'm thinking about getting it for my living room... but may use it in the bedroom.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle : I WANT THAT PILLOW!!!! It''s perfect!!! Where''d you get it??

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 2:38:56 AM
Author: Gypsy
kcoursolle : I WANT THAT PILLOW!!!! It''s perfect!!! Where''d you get it??
It was a gift from my mom and it''s either from TJMAXX or Marshalls...but it was purchased about a year ago. In general though, I find that TJMAXX and Marshalls all have a great selection of throw pillows, towels, and such for really great prices. I bet you can find something similar if you keep an eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results