shape
carat
color
clarity

BBT Reading Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I was just curious if anyone else experiences really low body temperatures. My normal BBT when waking up comes in just below 97 degrees (about 96.8). Does anyone else get temperatures this low, or am I just really odd.
19.gif
And if so, is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DC, My normal waking temperature orally was around 96.8 too. When I switched to vaginal temping it went up to 97.1 to 97.4 pre-O and 97.8 to 98.5 post-o. The only month I ever got as high as 98.5 was the cycle I got KTFU.

I think your temps are in normal range. Don''t sweat it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read from multiple sources that consistently low temps could indicate hypothyroid. Not always, but could. You can easily get it checked out by a doctor. But I'm sure it's most likely fine.
1.gif
My usual temps are in the 97.6-97.9 range so I don't have any experience with this personally.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
Yes I too have low temperatures- I took my temperature every morning by mouth and Pre 0 was 96.7-97.2 and post 0 ranged from 97.4-97.8. I was also worried and did some research when TTC- here are some things that can affect temp:

Temping orally (vs. vaginally)
Sleeping with your mouth open
Stopping birth control recently- my avg temps slowly rose with each month after stopping BCP
Hypo-thyroid (causes slow metabolism...this is rare though- my dr checked mine and it came back fine)

A sustained thermal shift post O is what is most important. Hope that helps!!
1.gif

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
My early pre O temps are high 96 like 96.8, post O they go up to high 97''s. Vaginally they are 97/98.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Puppmom, Lucy, Laila and Allie; Thanks for helping a girl out with some more info. I just thought I was wierd b/c I am having to make my own line on the BBT charts, since the ones I have don''t dip into that low of a temperature
3.gif

Alley: is there any major benefit to temping vaginally versus orally?

Lucy; thanks for the possible culprits. In regards to those:

Sleeping with your mouth open - I might actually do that, but had no idea it would affect my temps. I guess it makes sense though, especially considering we keep it cold when we sleep
Stopping birth control recently- I will have to wait a few months to check this one. I just stopped BC this month
2.gif

Hypo-thyroid - I dealt with a bit of this when I was put on a particular BC once. My obvious sign to recognize HT was that I started loosing hair on my eyebrows. I haven''t had any of that lately, however, I would love to attribute my weight gain to HT (but I don''t think that''s it)

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
sounds like you have nothing to worry about then!
2.gif

Sounds like you are using the chart that comes with your thermometer- I ran into the same problem! Have you tried Fertilityfriend.com to keeping track of your BBT''s? It is quite helpful.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 1:49:44 PM
Author: dcgator
Puppmom, Lucy, Laila and Allie; Thanks for helping a girl out with some more info. I just thought I was wierd b/c I am having to make my own line on the BBT charts, since the ones I have don''t dip into that low of a temperature
3.gif

Alley: is there any major benefit to temping vaginally versus orally?

Lucy; thanks for the possible culprits. In regards to those:

Sleeping with your mouth open - I might actually do that, but had no idea it would affect my temps. I guess it makes sense though, especially considering we keep it cold when we sleep

Stopping birth control recently- I will have to wait a few months to check this one. I just stopped BC this month
2.gif

Hypo-thyroid - I dealt with a bit of this when I was put on a particular BC once. My obvious sign to recognize HT was that I started loosing hair on my eyebrows. I haven''t had any of that lately, however, I would love to attribute my weight gain to HT (but I don''t think that''s it)

I haven''t found a real reason to temp vaginally. I was also concerned about hypothyroidism but honestly it is rare. Since by temping orally I still have a sustained temperature shift it is what I will continue to use.
I would temp Vaginally if you slept with your mouth open for instance and this gave your a skewed reading.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I always have a temp of 96.8. My BP also almost always registers at 116/78. Those are just two things that never seem to change.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results